• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cggonzaga
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2007

Hadn't heard this name before

Stocks on the rise

Malik Marquetti (Long Beach, Calif./Millikan)
    2014, WF, 6-5, 180
    Status: Has offers from USC and Loyola Marymount; Gonzaga, Missouri, and Florida State are showing interest.
    Marquetti is the hottest prospect in Southern California, thanks to several scintillating performances against high-level competition. His jump shot needs polish, but he is long, athletic, and plays like a bulldog at both ends.
    Personally until Few and Co. can show they can coach an athletic wing player that may be somewhat undisciplined, I say pass unfortunately.
  • WallaWallaZag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

agree that the track record is definitely spotty on guard/wing players who are maybe more athletic than skilled... for some reason zags don't have nearly the same problem with developing similar bigs. off the top of my head, in the recent past the only player in this mold that really improved significantly was probably pargo.

Comment

• CDC84
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

If you talked to almost every reputable college basketball analyst, they will tell you that what Gonzaga needs more than anything else is an athletic, lengthy 6-6 wing who can defend at an elite level. They comment about this almost every single season, and yet Gonzaga can't seem to get that guy. Obviously, that player needs to score a bit and have the IQ to play within the offensive system, but the key is the defense. I wish there was a way to get a healthy Erroll Knight type guy. I'm still convinced that Erroll could've developed the skills to be an effective scorer at this level if he had not been hurt so much. His whole career was reduced to being an energy player. He would've still been focused most on defense, but still score enough to keep defenses honest.

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
        If you talked to almost every reputable college basketball analyst, they will tell you that what Gonzaga needs more than anything else is an athletic, lengthy 6-6 wing who can defend at an elite level. They comment about this almost every single season, and yet Gonzaga can't seem to get that guy. Obviously, that player needs to score a bit and have the IQ to play within the offensive system, but the key is the defense. I wish there was a way to get a healthy Erroll Knight type guy. I'm still convinced that Erroll could've developed the skills to be an effective scorer at this level if he had not been hurt so much. His whole career was reduced to being an energy player. He would've still been focused most on defense, but still score enough to keep defenses honest.
        minus the elite athleticism, gonzaga came pretty close to having this last year in mike hart... i'm also convinced hart could have averaged close to double figures if the coaches had demanded it or he was on a team that needed more scoring.

Comment

• bartruff1
          Zag for Life
          • Jan 2010

Well I am glad that has been decided...

Comment

• gonzagafan62
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2013

According to Scout, and ESPN, this guy has not received a scholarship from Gonzaga
            Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2013

Stay up to date with all the California high school sports news, recruiting, and more at 247Sports.com

Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

Working...
              X