• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 23dpg
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

4 WCC games for Gonzaga next week

I'm leaving for vacation this week and thought I'd set my VCR to record the games. I was surprised to find that I have to record 4 games. Gonzaga starts the WCC with 4 games in one calendar week.

Sat, Dec 28
    vs
    Santa Clara

Mon, Dec 30
    vs
    San Francisco

Thu, Jan 2
    vs
    Saint Mary's

Sat, Jan 4
    vs
    Pacific

That's pretty aggressive scheduling. I assume it's this way with all the WCC teams.
    Birds aren’t real.
  • ZagMan in Philly
    Zag for Life
    • Apr 2007

One word: Sweep

Comment

• Goshzagit
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by 23dpg View Post
      That's pretty aggressive scheduling. I assume it's this way with all the WCC teams.
      Nope. Not even close...

Just reviewed every WCC team over this period of time:

Gonzaga is the ONLY WCC team playing 4 games in 7 days, folks. The next closest would be BYU with 3 games over a similar span.

Matter of fact, there is no other WCC team even close to scheduling this type of slate, heck, over the ENTIRE conference season. How did this happen?

Don't know if this was Gonzaga's(Coach Krause) or the WCC's(Mr. Zaninovich) fault, yet not our finest year of scheduling....that is for certain. Lame excuses not withstanding.

Comment

• ZaGranny
        Zag for Life
        • Jun 2013

4 games in 8 days, folks:

28, 29, 30, 31, 1, 2, 3, 4

ZaGranny
        Formerly ID ZAGFAN--now officially ZaGranny.

Comment

• 23dpg
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZaGranny View Post
          4 games in 8 days, folks:

28, 29, 30, 31, 1, 2, 3, 4

ZaGranny
          Yes, I know it's 8 days. That's why I said one calendar week (Saturday-Saturday) and posted the schedule. Point is, I'm leaving before the game Saturday and won't be coming home until after the game the following Saturday. Hence, my one week of vacation is taking out 4 Zag games. Very unusual no matter how you count it.
          Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• ZaGranny
            Zag for Life
            • Jun 2013

From the free dictionary:

Noun 1. calendar week - a period of seven consecutive days starting on Sunday

ZaGranny
            Formerly ID ZAGFAN--now officially ZaGranny.

Comment

• KStyles
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Goshzagit View Post
              Don't know if this was Gonzaga's(Coach Krause) or the WCC's(Mr. Zaninovich) fault, yet not our finest year of scheduling....that is for certain. Lame excuses not withstanding.

I don't know the intricacies of scheduling, but I'd think its mostly the WCC scheduling the games after GU requested the Memphis game (which Memphis also had to get open in the American) to fall on that specific Saturday of Feb. 8th.

Comment

• hondo
                Zag for Life
                • May 2009

With 10 teams in league now play has to begin earlier. Then factor in not wanting players to have to travel on Christmas or play on Sunday and Saturday--Monday is the only choice. It will be easier for the Zags because there is no travel for us in those 4 games. Normally you would have 4 games in 10 days, so 4 in 8 days (all at home) is not so bad.

Comment

• eastsideballer
                  Bulldog Fan
                  • May 2007

You seem pretty sure of your fact finding but I would have to say that the other WCC team that has the exact same schedule would be Gonzaga's travel partner which is Portland.

Nope. Not even close...

Gonzaga is the ONLY WCC team playing 4 games in 7 days, folks. The next closest would be BYU with 3 games over a similar span.

Matter of fact, there is no other WCC team even close to scheduling this type of slate, heck, over the ENTIRE conference season. How did this happen?

Comment

• Reborn
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2007

Every single team that I have checked DOES play 4 away games in row, and most of those play within 9 days. Oh, Im not sure if you noticed but GU plays 4 games in 8 days. Is one day THAT big of a difference. One team I saw, I think LMU plays only plays one home game in a span of 11 games. 10 out of 11 games on the road. Just play em one at a time and stop thinking someone is out to get you or the Zags....Paranoia never helps anyone remain confident.
                    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
                      Bleeds Bulldog Blue
                      • Feb 2007

Nope. Not even close...

Portland has it worse than Gonzaga. They play their first five at home, with no students on campus. That's the majority of their conference home games.

This bizarre scheduling is courtesy of the WCC, who contracted out the schedule making to a third party. The morons the WCC hired didn't check academic calendars, etc. The WCC paid for this insanity. The schools had no input. With a balanced conference and travel partners, there's no reason in the world why a school should have to play 5 consecutive home (or road) games during conference play. Zaninovich and others at conference headquarters were asleep at the wheel and weren't overseeing what was going on until it was too late to make corrections.
                      You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                        • Mar 2008

Sweet. Lots of bball crammed into 7 days. Fun time of the year
                        The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• ZagaZags
                          Banned
                          • May 2010

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
                          Sweet. Lots of bball crammed into 7 days. Fun time of the year
                          Agreed.

Comment

• Reborn
                            Zag for Life
                            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by ZagaZags View Post
                            Agreed.
                            8 days not 7...please......
                            Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• ZagaZags
                              Banned
                              • May 2010

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                              8 days not 7...please......
                              Sweet. lots of bball crammed into 8 days. Fun time of the year. I agree with Hoopaholic.

Comment

Working...
                              X