PDA

View Full Version : OT - FIBA Americas

deathchina
08-25-2007, 04:05 PM
Anyone else been watching the games? I've seen all 3 so far and I've gotta say..Team USA looks mighty impressive. We've finally got a couple pure shooters (Redd and Mike Miller) as well as other guys who can shoot well (Billups, Kobe, Deron Williams and sometimes Carmelo) on the roster, and we're playing really tough defense. It's amazing what a big difference Kobe makes. I think the improved team defense is a result of him leading by example.

On a site note, JP had 4 points and 5 rebounds is Brazil's win over Venezuela.

(edited to add) I can't help but comment on the lack of postings regarding the USA team. I'm pretty sure if the USA WASN'T faring so well, there would be plenty of posts decrying the inferiority of the American brand of hoops.

Rubbadub
08-25-2007, 04:30 PM
I think it's more because they haven't played against competition that was even close to the level of the last tournament. It's so bad, they brought in some second level nba talent to scrimmage against during the exhibition games instead of playing against the other countries.

But yes, the chemistry and individual parts do look a lot better

Scotto
08-25-2007, 04:44 PM
They look pretty solid though. Even better when DWade and CB4 are healthy.

cair3
08-25-2007, 05:23 PM
i love watching these guys play, hopefully JP can do some damage. The team is improved more so with jason kidd and michael redd than with kobe replacing DWade. Kobe is one of the few players out there that has taken some stupid shots that he may have to take when he is on the lakers but not when he is on this team of stars. It is fun to see them all having a lot of fun playing with each other, you can really tell kobe loves winning again. if it sounds like i hate kobe its cus i do.

lawzag
08-25-2007, 06:06 PM
I watched most of this game hoping to see JP.
He may have gotten a couple minutes in the first half, but from the time I started watching 1/2 way through the 2nd 1/4 on - he never played.
I was disappointed.

Started watching the US vs Canada game this morning, because I thought Theo was playing (??) never saw him though, so went out to mow the lawn instead :D

wazZag
08-25-2007, 10:29 PM
if it sounds like i hate kobe its cus i do.:D

ZagNut08
08-26-2007, 10:34 AM
if it sounds like i hate kobe its cus i do.

2000 2001 2002...dont blame you :mecry:

ZagSlug
08-26-2007, 10:38 AM
JP was in late in the 3rd or early in the 4th. He set 3 straight screens, peeled off a man to get position on the block and floated in that nice 8 foot jump hook. That was all that I saw of him.

RenoZag
08-26-2007, 12:02 PM
(edited to add) I can't help but comment on the lack of postings regarding the USA team. I'm pretty sure if the USA WASN'T faring so well, there would be plenty of posts decrying the inferiority of the American brand of hoops.

If the USA were doing poorly there wouldn't be any more or fewer posts. Pro hoops are boring as hell, even more so in August.

wazZag
08-26-2007, 12:36 PM
It was more of 2003 for me. :p

deathchina
08-26-2007, 12:58 PM
"If the USA were doing poorly there wouldn't be any more or fewer posts. Pro hoops are boring as hell, even more so in August."

You clearly don't remember all the posts regarding USA's loss to Greece in the world championships, or the numerous gleeful posts addressing the demise of our last Olympic team. I don't think it's a big mystery that people root AGAINST our national team.

OZZag
08-26-2007, 05:19 PM
I watched most of this game hoping to see JP.
He may have gotten a couple minutes in the first half, but from the time I started watching 1/2 way through the 2nd 1/4 on - he never played.
I was disappointed.

Started watching the US vs Canada game this morning, because I thought Theo was playing (??) never saw him though, so went out to mow the lawn instead :D

Theo played on the Canadian University team only. It may not look like it by the end score, but other tham a a certain Steve Nash and Jamaal Magloire, this is about the best team Canada could field. The competition amongst the other teams is pretty close, but the USA has both talent (and teamwork) that is head and shoulders above the competition. If Argentina had all of its players at the tournament they would be the only team that could really mix it with the USA, but even Canada defeated them the other week in an exhibition game.

Canada'd best player has been Sma Delambert of the 76ers who has recently become a Canadian citizen (born in Haiti, but grew up in Montreal). This is the first time he has played with this team.

Zagpower
08-26-2007, 07:06 PM
JP played a lot of minutes tonight especially after the game was no longer in doubt. He had several nice passes to cutters, a few rebounds, and made at least four free throws while I was watching.

I have been watching a lot of this tournanment and the USA looks great....especially for NBA players who don't play defense, can't shoot and play an inferior brand of basketball to the rest of the world. Yes, heavy sarcasm.

john montana
08-27-2007, 02:03 PM
i'm definately NOT a kobe fan, but he is putting it on the line for team USA. the guy is playing harder on the defensive end than he has ever played in his career. he and jkidd have completley changed the tone. kidd just pushes the ball constantly, and makes simple, correct plays. they are playing with great intensity...

OZZag
08-27-2007, 06:50 PM
WIth PR beating Brazil we could potentially have three teams at 5-2 (if Canada beats Argentina). It could be an interesting tournament the rest of the way. Although I can't see anyone getting within 15 of the USA.

Zag79
08-28-2007, 09:36 PM
I don't think it's a big mystery that people root AGAINST our national team.

agreed to the fullest. this team is as stacked as you can get (save dwade, but he'll be in the olympics). we have sent a team that has it all and isnt going to stop until they put the US back on top of the world in hoops with an exlamation point, finally!

deathchina
08-29-2007, 07:36 AM
I'm not sure the team even needs Dwade. Honestly, I'd rather have Mike Redd on the floor than Dwade at this point. Kobe already does everything Dwade could do PLUS he plays great Defense.

john montana
08-29-2007, 10:34 AM
i agree...dwayde isn't as effective in international ball as a guy like redd can be. i didn't like the way kobe played in the last two games though...he was a little overly agressive on offense and seemed to want to do it all, a trend i hope ends tonight.

i'm amazed at what a difference jkidd makes. this team flows much better with him on the floor than chauncy, none of which shows in the stats. how much fun would it be to play with kidd?

OZZag
08-29-2007, 11:55 PM
Great matchups on Thursday with;

USA vs Argentina (preview for the final)
Brazil against Uruguay (Brazil needs to win to claim 3rd)
Canada against Puerto Rico (fight for 4th spot, with Puerto Rico on fire)

zagporvida
09-01-2007, 05:45 AM
Saw a bit of the Brazil vs. Uruguay game hoping to see JP. He played a bit in the second half that I saw and he actually looked small compared to the other players I thought. Seems as if he has gotten leaner. Must be a result of not eating COG food. :-)

GonzagaGurl08
09-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Does anyone know if there is a way to see these games online?? Thanks.

deathchina
09-03-2007, 08:25 AM
USA rolled Argentina again. Look very dominant. I don't think anyone can beat us at the next olympics unless everyone goes cold at the same time and the other team is smoking hot.

Rubbadub
09-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Kobe and Kidd are huge improvements. I really dont see any other team having a chance any time soon. If only Garnett and Duncan would join up as well.

lothar98zag
09-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Kobe and Kidd are huge improvements. I really dont see any other team having a chance any time soon. If only Garnett and Duncan would join up as well.
Doesn't Duncan play for a non-US team?

Rubbadub
09-03-2007, 11:29 AM
oops, my bad. :)

Just Garnett then.

deathchina
09-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Duncan has played for the US. He was on the last olympic team. I don't think Duncan is very suited for international ball. He was in foul trouble almost the entire time....

He WAS born on the Virgin Islands.

john montana
09-03-2007, 09:42 PM
after watching every game, Lebron James is the best basketball player on the planet. it isn't even close. he was unbelievable. kidd was amazing too. it isn't the stats with him, but things flow when kidd is in the game. billups comes in and the offense grinds to a halt. i enjoyed watching kobe most of the time too. what a great team.

Zagpower
09-04-2007, 06:01 AM
Absolutely agree on LeBron. It is such a treat to watch him play. By the end of his career, I predict he will be considered the most skilled hoopster of all time.

lothar98zag
09-04-2007, 03:05 PM
I was a bit surprised while looking at the box score that the US's D wasn't great in the gold medal game. Then I remembered - it didn't have to be. #1 the game was over before the 1st quarter ended. #2 the US's O was otherworldy efficient. I'd be curious to see what their efficiency was for that game (& for the tourney overall).

something like this would be nice: http://www.kenpom.com/expsked.php?team=Gonzaga

I wonder if anyone has already calc'd this stuff...