• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sideshow06
    Kennel Club Material
    • Jan 2012

Post-season GU/SMC question

SMC fan here, respectfully treading on your territory for a moment. Bracketology this morning had SMC and GU in the same location (San Diego) for the first round. We all know that aspect of Bracketology is kind of meaningless right now, but it got me thinking. What if both SMC and GU were playing in Spokane for the first round, not against one another, just in the same arena? Obviously the turnout for GU would be tremendous. My question is, what do you think the atmosphere would be like for SMC during their game(s). I'm not asking whether you personally would root for or against SMC, but rather what do you think the crowd would do? Would the league rivalry lead to SMC being lustily boo'd all game, or would the WCC ties lead to some post-slugfest-of-a-league-season cameraderie and a pro-SMC vibe? Again, I don't doubt there are those on both sides of that particular fence, but which ones would be more likely to show, and how would they react to watching the Gaels. Or would they even show up/stay for the SMC game at all?
  • LongIslandZagFan
    • Feb 2007

I'd suspect that most would show and root for our WCC brethren. I know if I were in Spokane and that were the case... my but would be in a seat. Heck I might even stand up for your boys.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• Zagdawg
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

If SMC were to be playing in Spokane - I would root for them also.

Comment

• GoZags
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

SMC would be a heavy fan favorite in Spokane. Similar to the '02 dance in Albuqureque when GU faced Wyoming (Mountain West Champs) in the opening round. New Mexico fans embraced Wyoming as their own. That being said WSU is the host school, and many of their Season ticket holders will occupy seats in the Arena. My guess is they'd be supporting Arizona or any other PAC 12 school. At least that's my opinion.

Nice W over Boise State the other day btw.
        sigpic
        “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
        ——-
        List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
        Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

After the wars during the season and tourney it just makes sense for GU fans to root, if even a golf clap, for Mary's. I'm not sure Mary's would return the favor if the situation occurred at Moravia. Just the way it is.

Comment

• ZagMan in Philly
            Zag for Life
            • Apr 2007

For the most part, I would root for SMC if that was the case. It would help if the SMC's opponents were UW, UCLA, Duke.
            Last edited by ZagMan in Philly; 12-16-2013, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• DZ
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by ZagMan in Philly View Post
              For the most part, I would root for SMC if that is the case. It would help if the SMC's opponents are UW, UCLA, Duke.
              If those were the opponents I paint my face in red and blue with white SMC and ugly mouthpiece.

I would (will?) cheer for SMC - just like I do in any OOC game.
              Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
              Mark Twain.

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
                Bleeds Bulldog Blue
                • Feb 2007

If SMC wants support in Spokane, I suggest they leave Omar in Cali with Flavor Flav.
                You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2009

SMC would have a lot of fan support in Spokane.
                  “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• CdAZagFan
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2013

I agree with most here - even though you are hated within the season, when the dance starts most here root for the WCC to do well...

Comment

• exclusivelee
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2013

A win for a WCC member in the NCAA tournament means a win for the rest of the WCC. The proceeds spread around.... so yeah, I root far each WCC team to perform well in the postseason, to make the WCC look stronger as a whole, gain recognition league-wide and also for more funds to be spread out amongst the whole conference.

Comment

• zagamatic
                        Zag for Life
                        • Aug 2009

I agree with most posts here. I would cheer for SMC if that should happen. The one snag would be if you were playing a well liked regional team such as Boise state. But that's unlikely seeing as how you just played them and WSU can't play here since they're hosting IIRC. That pretty much only leaves Montana or an Oregon school that may sway the average fan imo.

Comment

• sittingon50
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

What Angelo said!

But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• willandi
                            Zag for Life
                            • Nov 2007

Hard to say, at this point. I haven't seen the SMC team.
                            Omar was so easy to dislike, so if he was on the team, NO. McConnell was a great player and seemed like a great guy so YES. Delly, with his big, ugly mouthpiece, oversized jersey, seemed to push off on every offensive play and grab/tug on every defensive play so NO.
                            Holt seems like an OK guy, not sure about Leveque (sp) and Waldow could go either way, at this point.

Wait 'til the Zags beat you 3 times this season and then I should know!
                            Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• sideshow06
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Jan 2012

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the response.

Comment

Working...
                              X