PDA

View Full Version : Pangos memories

cdools
12-15-2013, 09:44 PM
The last three Zags games and the relative performances of Kevin Pangos take me back to some memories I have about Kevin as a younger player and one of the best age-group point guards in the world. The West Virginia game and the constant booing takes me back to a story when Kevin was in High school. His Denison team was playing in a tournament against the host team in Sault Ste Marie Ontario. A huge crowd had heard about this hot shot point guard who was already playing internationally and they were ready. Every time the point guard touched the ball they booed lustily. Little did they know that with the makeup of that team Kevin did not bring up the ball and the point guard they were booing was not Kevin. In a timeout that player even asked the coach why they were booing him! Very soon the crowd realized their mistake and turned their lust on Kevin, and Kevin fed off that to destroy the home team and quiet the crowd.

The second story deals with Kevin and his injury. Many on this discussion list were commenting that Kevin shouldn't play in the Battle in Seattle against South Alabama because USA wasn't very good and Kevin needed the rest to let the turf toe heal. Whoever wrote that doesn't know Kevin very well so let me tell you a story about this young man's competitive desire.... Kevin had just returned from an international trip and was told that he needed to rest his body before heading out to the under 17 world championships. He went up to a summer camp where his dad Bill headlines and where he had been going since he was in diapers and rubber boots. He was tired and hurting and needed a few days of sun and swim. Instead he was found playing two on two with a few guys from the kitchen staff. A challenge was presented and he responded. This camp, called Olympia Sports Camp in Huntsville Ontario, was and is a family oriented camp. When one of these 'family' members saw Kevin playing in this two on two game when he should be resting he promptly took Kevin's shoes away from him for 24 hours. Kevin went nuts through withdrawal but that's what it took for him to really take a break.

The moral of these stories is that Kevin is a very special player who will take on any challenge and do whatever it takes for his team to win. Kevin played 38 minutes in a game where people were saying he shouldn't even play. He gutted out these last three games because that is what he is made of. Even the WV game he struggled throughout but then hit those three threes in crunch time. Yeah maybe he should have rested but in this day of spoiled and coddled players playing for a personal agenda Kevin really is a throwback. Right now all these attributes are playing a huge role in the success of the Zags. I'm just enjoying every minute I get to watch Kevin Pangos play.

2wiceright
12-15-2013, 10:34 PM
Cdools, Thanks for the great post about Kevin and the added insights (I loved every bit of what you shared). Very hilarious story about taking his shoes from him (I hope Coach Few does the same if necessary)! I've loved watching Kevin since he got here and he is well on his way towards becoming part of one of the all time great guard tandoms that will go down in a long line of great guards at "Guard U"! Kevin is a true Zag- very special both on and off the court! When he gets past this injury, I believe his best is yet to come....

Hoopaholic
12-16-2013, 05:11 AM
Without a doubt a very special warrior

jazzdelmar
12-16-2013, 05:29 AM
Spectacular young man, no doubt. I call him the Prime Minister, he has that kind of promise. Still, an injury is an injury and no manner of fortitude overcomes a hurt body part. I am sure the staff is very mindful of that.

gozagswoohoo
12-16-2013, 05:42 AM
Where Kevin goes, the Pain-goes. (and right now, that pain is in his toe, haha).

And what this means, is that Kevin ain't gonna sit back and watch NOTHIN! If he can walk, I bet he'll play.

DixieZag
12-16-2013, 06:06 AM
Those are great stories, thanks for sharing them. They all sure ring true.

No one is questioning Kevin's toughness - just the opposite. The only worry - and it may be unfounded - is that this is an injury that can be aggravated with a player tried to tough it out. In the end, only about 3 people really know what's going on. What we need to know are the stories like those you've just told, making us appreciate how special he really is.

bartruff1
12-16-2013, 06:39 AM
I suspect it was easy to take away his sneakers.... they were probably outside...at our house, the "one who must be obeyed" would not allow teen boy sneakers or socks into the house and so they would be lined up outside on the deck rail...they were toxic....... the good news was they were burned and replaced monthly in keeping with EPA regulations for hazardous materials ...

DixieZag
12-16-2013, 07:06 AM
I suspect it was easy to take away his sneakers.... they were probably outside....the "one who must be obeyed" would not allow teen boy sneakers or socks into the house and so they would be lined up outside on the deck rail...they were toxic....... the good news was they were burned and replaced monthly in keeping with EPA regulations for hazardous materials ...

I'll have to check with the relatives back in the old country but I think the entity you're referring to is "Environment Canada" - - which probably works to rival the EPA in sheer volumes of regulations. Sneakers and socks - pg. 2. (Page 1 says "Environment Canada - Rules") :)

hooter73
12-16-2013, 07:27 AM
Im getting old. Remembering Pangos? He just got here didnt he! How in the world are he and Bell Juniors already?

cjm720
12-16-2013, 07:49 AM
Cdools, great contribution. Thanks for sharing!!!

I don't know KP personally, but that just seems the type of guy he is.

Reborn
12-16-2013, 08:17 AM
Thanks for a great post, cdools. Personal stories like the ones you shared adds to our knowledge of Kevin, and thus brings him closer to our hearts. I think that everyone in ZagNation knows how tough Kevin is, and my guess is that everyone loves him. Those who plead to him or the coaches to give him some days off, only cry out because they love him and want to see him playing at full speed. CDC's post about the toe is probably accurate. The toe won't heal until the end of the year.

We wonder how far the Zags can go with our wounded warriors. It will be one of the biggest stories this year. So far so good. We'll just take it one game at a time.

Zags11
12-16-2013, 09:35 AM
+1000,

Pangos will be a guy we talk on for decades. I believe that 100%.