• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zag365
    Zag for Life
    • Apr 2007

BiS - frustrating night

Except for a couple hundred USA fans, the 9,000+ faithful at the Key were ready to whoop it up for the Zags but after the first 10 minutes the game turned into a slog without much excitement. I think it was the pace of the game, not the size of the crowd that muted the enthusiasm. The offense just wasn't clicking and outside jumpers weren't falling. It didn't help that Shem had a half-dozen short hooks or putbacks roll off the rim or miss altogether. He also became a TO machine. I thought the officiating in the second-half also contributed to the ugly feel. USA was allowed to play very physical in paint and were brutal on our guys coming inside (and got away with a lot).

Seeing the game in person made me realize how small our guards are. They really have to hustle to get open, play D, and rebound.

Good parts: Wow, our guys work hard on D. Constant hustle, blocking out, fighting through screens. They take a lot of punishment. Sometimes we had our guys fighting each other for a rebound. DS was amazingly gritty and savvy -- steals, loose balls, driving the lane (and scoring several lay-ins when we needed a bucket), and making good passes. I thought his relentless play is what kept USA from ever making it a one or two possession game. GBJ was also outstanding and played what I thought was a typical night for him. SDJ also had a solid night considering he had to play in the middle a lot when Shem sat.

Was surprised to see how regularly Coach Few was talking to either DS or KP throughout the game. Reminded me of the way a lot of football coaches are constantly talking to their QB. Watching games on TV, I hadn't noticed Coach Few doing this a lot. Maybe it was just the way things were going in this game.
  • DZ
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Zag365 View Post
    Except for a couple hundred USA fans, the 9,000+ faithful at the Key were ready to whoop it up for the Zags but after the first 10minutes the game turned into a slog without much excitement. I think it was the pace of the game, not the size of the crowd that muted the enthusiasm. The offense just wasn't clicking and outside jumpers weren't falling. It didn't help that Shem had a half-dozen short hooks or putbacks roll off the rim or miss altogether. He also became a TO machine. I thought the officiating in the second-half also contributed to the ugly feel. USA was allowed to play very physical in paint and were brutal on our guys coming inside (and got away with a lot).

Seeing the game in person made me realize how small our guards are. They really have to hustle to get open, play D, and rebound.

Good parts: Wow, our guys work hard on D. Constant hustle, blocking out, fighting through screens. They take a lot of punishment. Sometimes we had our guys fighting each other for a rebound. DS was amazingly gritty and savvy -- steals, loose balls, driving the lane (and scoring several lay-ins when we needed a bucket), and making good passes. I thought he relentless play is what kept USA from ever making it a one or two possession game. GBJ was also outstanding and played what I thought was a typical night for him. SDJ also had a solid night considering he had to play in the middle a lot when Shem sat.

Was surprised to see how regularly Coach Few was talking to either DS or KP throughout the game. Reminded me of the way a lot of football coaches are constantly talking to their QB. Watching games on TV, I hadn't noticed Coach Few doing this a lot. Maybe it was just the way things were going in this game.
    Hey, thanks for the great first person observations. Not sure I agree with all of it but it is great to hear from someone there!

I have been lucky to go to quite a few games in K2. Few is always talking to GB, KP and DS. I think they call out the defenses or sets, might be what he is telling them?

I thought our defensive effort to start the game was the best it has been all year. David was particularly good jumping in the passing lanes and picking pockets.

Getting out to the huge lead so early may have hurt the team in the long run in that they simply backed down a little - Tommy Lloyd said in the first half interview that players were looking to "pad their stats" -- not sure that is fair, I saw just less intensity, especially on D.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Comment

• VinnyZag
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

At no point did I think GU might lose. After they went up 22-3, everybody basically stopped playing hard. Disappointing as a spectator, but no reason to overreact.

Comment

• Birddog
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

After the great start it turned into one of the fugliest games in some time. I had recorded the game because of a conflicting Christmas party and for a time thought maybe I had had too many egg nogs. Reflecting on the game at it's conclusion, I was sure that I had too many egg nogs and that it was a good thing I did.
        Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
        Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
        All mimsy were the borogoves,
        And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Some of us not in the Emerald City were also frutsrated. The fishing stream, usually lush with catch, inexplicably dried up leaving only KGA as a recreational option. While Hudson and CV tried their best, the game sounded funereal. I dozed off at one point in the 2nd half. What was awakening, however, were the candid comments of both Cory and Tommy; they were very unusual for these ears that are accustomed to hearing ESPN or those other guys. Cory, in particular, warned from the very start -- despite the lengthy Zag lead -- that the team was playing terribly. Odddly, they made scant mention of the KP toe. Guess you had to be there, and I'm sorry bout that. A win, move on.

PS: After the game, Philly Zag, who was apparently out on the town in the snow with Mrs. Philly, replenished the stream for those at-a-distance Fisherzags who are gluttons for punishment. Thanks, P.

Comment

• bartruff1
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2010

Stuff happens...5 games they play great...5 games they stink....not to make a excuse...but Michigan State beat Oakland at HOME...67-63 and had to rally to do it.

Coaches might have their cake and eat it with a win like this... teachable moment..

Few actually talking about more minutes for KD.

Comment

• ZagMan in Philly
              Zag for Life
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
              Some of us not in the Emerald City were also frutsrated. The fishing stream, usually lush with catch, inexplicably dried up leaving only KGA as a recreational option. While Hudson and CV tried their best, the game sounded funereal. I dozed off at one point in the 2nd half. What was awakening, however, were the candid comments of both Cory and Tommy; they were very unusual for these ears that are accustomed to hearing ESPN or those other guys. Cory, in particular, warned from the very start -- despite the lengthy Zag lead -- that the team was playing terribly. Odddly, they made scant mention of the KP toe. Guess you had to be there, and I'm sorry bout that. A win, move on.

PS: After the game, Philly Zag, who was apparently out on the town in the snow with Mrs. Philly, replenished the stream for those at-a-distance Fisherzags who are gluttons for punishment. Thanks, P.
              Ok so we won and it wasn't a best game to watch, but I will always cherish a victory regardless of the opponents.
              Gotta give some credits to South Alabama, and if they had another scorer, other than Rubit, we could have lost the game.
              Hopefully BIS will be a much better game next year.

Jazz, you were right about the weather in philly last nite, it was badddd. We got home just in time for the second half. I told Mrs. Philly, please do not plan another date night when the Zags are playing.....LOL.

Comment

• GoZags
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagMan in Philly View Post
                Ok so we won and it wasn't a best game to watch, but I will always cherish a victory regardless of the opponents.
                Gotta give some credits to South Alabama, and if they had another scorer, other than Rubit, we could have lost the game.

Jazz, you were right about the weather in philly last nite, it was badddd. We got home just in time for the second half. I told Mrs. Philly, please do not plan another date night when the Zags are playing.....LOL.
                Don't think you'll have to worry about that as your question to Bob from the other day was answered as best it could be (at this time).

sigpic
                “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                ——-
                List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• ZagMan in Philly
                  Zag for Life
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
                  Don't think you'll have to worry about that as your question to Bob from the other day was answered as best it could be (at this time).

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...592#post958592
                  Hey GoZags, I saw that. Very excited if it is true.
                  We could have the top 5 ranked teams go at it by that time, and that will create a buzz in itself.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...592#post958592
                    Ciao, Papa....watch for the pump in the spokes trick from Slappy Crean

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

i hear you. my son in chatham nj, not far from u, got 10 inches......70s here; sorry.

Comment

• GoZags
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Hey GoZags, I saw that. Very excited if it is true.
                        We could have the top 5 ranked teams go at it by that time, and that will create a buzz in itself.
                        Agreed. Last time they played only one of the programs fit that bill.
                        Expert recap and game analysis of the Gonzaga Bulldogs vs. Indiana Hoosiers NCAAM game from December 6, 2008 on ESPN.
                        sigpic
                        “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                        ——-
                        List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                        Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Agreed. Last time they played only one of the programs fit that bill.
                          http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=283410084
                          Geez, look at that lineup. Sacre and Gray OFF THE BENCH!

Comment

• Zagger
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2008

What I did like seeing last night was how these three played: KD, GBJ & DS. I was a bit sleepy-eyed the 2nd half but sure felt like KD and DS were the two who had more shots and drives to take than anyone else on the team. I'd like to see Kyle take more shots at 3. Overall though .... I'm now worried about the KSU game. It may just be me and my expectations for how the Zags would play in Seattle but ..... the Zags looked more vulnerable to me than I've yet to see them this year. It was a good thing they were around 20 points ahead early in the game.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                              • Feb 2007

What would you rather have? A two point victory after being behind at half to a 2-9 team or a 9 point victory having never been behind against a team playing .500 ball?
                              "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

Working...
                              X