PDA

View Full Version : Gary Bell and KP for Three

DixieZag
12-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Looked at the stats at the 10 game point in the season. (Counting last nights game)

Kevin is shooting 50% from 3. . . 36-72
Gary is shooting 54.9%!. . . 28-51

Sam has made 2 out of 3. 666 (He's a beast).

Dranginis: 42% . . .11-26
Drew: 41%. . . 16-39
Stocks: 28% . . . 4-14

I realize that the first third of the season is home loaded and somewhat easy but, still, it is 10 games now and to have 2 of our leaders in minutes shooting over 50% from 3 and have 2 more shooting over 40% is outstanding. Never mind our "power-forward/center" who must be guarded out there, also.

Anyway, I thought these numbers were impressive and thought it might surprise some others. Just throwing it out there for anyone to read.

kitzbuel
12-11-2013, 01:43 PM
We are number one in all the land for 3pt percentage: 47.6%

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/team/152

ZagLawGrad
12-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Kinda scary. Live the 3, die by the 3.

Zagger
12-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Me-hopes that the threat of the 3 gives Sam and MtK many opportunities they may not otherwise enjoy. And, as long as the Zags can make a host of offensive rebounds from missed 3s ..... it adds up making the Zags hard to beat. Out rebounding WVU didn't hurt the outcome last night.
Ain't college BB fun! So many ways to chip away at an opponent. Having great fire power is a must. You can't score unless the ball goes in the hoop - no matter how good a team is at anything else. With the Zags improving their other abilities .... they're simply going to be hard to beat.

bballbeachbum
12-11-2013, 02:56 PM
interestingly, because GBj was hot early WVU made sure to guard him tighter. that meant others like KD, Barham and co. had more of the open looks.

Goshzagit
12-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Moral of the Story: GBJr needs to shoot more!

bballbeachbum
12-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Moral of the Story: GBJr needs to shoot more!

not that simple to me but I read these boards and understand posters' positions in this debate.

last night, GBj's points early came off dribble penetration and kickouts from both KP and DS. He's the counterpuncher that delivers knockout punches kind of guy more than the tip of the sword guy on GU seems to me, and great teams need the best players who do that stuff as much as the tip of the sword guys. With the emphasis on getting the ball inside and also in getting KP shots, GBj seems ideally suited to me in his role

MDABE80
12-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Balance is needed. WOWSA at the figures though. Develop the inside game is best. Seems like the outside game is in good hands.ie the best there is so far. BUT Karno needs to do what he did last night multiple times. Sam's coming along nicely. My fear is always that some good "in your grill" faceguarding types can shut down this 3 pt barage. It can happen. Likely it will. Then it's back to standard basketball. I hope we're ready.

DixieZag
12-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Balance is needed. WOWSA at the figures though. Develop the inside game is best. Seems like the outside game is in good hands.ie the best there is so far. BUT Karno needs to do what he did last night multiple times. Sam's coming along nicely. My fear is always that some good "in your grill" faceguarding types can shut down this 3 pt barage. It can happen. Likely it will. Then it's back to standard basketball. I hope we're ready.

That is one of the reasons that I put the numbers up b/c I was so impressed by last night's ability to score the ball down low with Karno (and Sam when he was out there). To be sure, it seems like some defense crazy teams can pretty much blanket people outside the arc and make finding those shots tough - so first and foremost, it seems to me that a team needs to be able to pound the ball down low. Especially with Karno now shooting FTs well and Sam having always been a good FT shooter.

I do wonder whether people think that Bell should be shooting more. At first glance, the obvious answer is yes. But, it probably isn't good to have two players looking to shoot at the level of Pangos and not keep emphasizing a size - scoring advantage inside. What I would like to see is that if Kevin is really struggling (like most of the game yesterday) that would be the time that Gary should be taking the shots that Kevin normally would, yet he seems really reluctant to do that.

In the Few Show last Sunday, Gary came right out and said that when he hits a couple he has a voice in his head saying something like "I'm shooting too much, I'm shooting too much" something Kevin certainly does not have (thank God), it is like pushing water up hill, the more Gary hits the more uncomfortable he is b/c he is just not a "me" guy. So, in some ways, I guess I think he is right in his comfort zone as it is. We all know he isn't afraid of the big shot. He pulled on out on the road against Ok state.

Be an interesting call - - 5 seconds left, who do you want shooting the ball? Correct - Kevin and Gary.

ZagLawGrad
12-11-2013, 08:13 PM
It was good to see KP hit the long shots when he needed to on the road in a tough place to play.

maynard g krebs
12-11-2013, 09:12 PM
For perspective, the team averages 60.2 fg attempts per game, of which 21.1 are 3's. Hardly living and dying by the 3. When NM State took away the 3, the team adjusted eventually, though it was an ugly game. On a night where Dower hits uncontested 15 footers like usual it probably doesn't work so well. I don't see a team that is in love with the 3. I think they will take what the defense gives them. The guards are smart and look for the best shot available, whether inside or outside.

DixieZag
12-12-2013, 06:52 AM
For perspective, the team averages 60.2 fg attempts per game, of which 21.1 are 3's. Hardly living and dying by the 3. When NM State took away the 3, the team adjusted eventually, though it was an ugly game. On a night where Dower hits uncontested 15 footers like usual it probably doesn't work so well. I don't see a team that is in love with the 3. I think they will take what the defense gives them. The guards are smart and look for the best shot available, whether inside or outside.

Good stat. The team doesn't look like a "live by, die by" from the eye test.

VinnyZag
12-12-2013, 06:59 AM
Trivia about the 1999 team, gleaned for Root's rebroadcast of the Florida game: eight guys on that team shot better than 35 percent from 3. That amounts to all eight who made a 3 that year (Neither Eaton nor Spink hit one all year). Confirmed by basketballreference.com: http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/gonzaga/1999.html

gozagswoohoo
12-12-2013, 07:02 AM
I am super good at math and everything, and I just came up with this formula. Let me know what you think:

THE FORMULA OF LARGE NUMBERS

In a game, we should shoot ONLY three pointers. Look at these results.

GBJ would shoot 30 three's.
Pangos would shoot 25.
KD would shoot 10.
Barham would shoot 10.
Sam would shoot 3.
Shem would shoot 1.

Based on their %'s, we know the following:

GBJ would make 16 of his 30= 48ppg
Pangos would make 12 of his 25= 36ppg
Dranginis would make 4 of his 10= 12ppg
Barham would make 4 of his 10= 12ppg
Sam would make 1 of his 3= 3ppg
Shem would airball his 1= 0ppg

That means 111 points per game!!! QUIT WASTING TIME SHOOTING LAYUPS AND OTHER JUNK! I have CRACKED THE CODE!!

Can someone please print this formula and forward it to Coach Few?

Thanks.

DixieZag
12-12-2013, 07:14 AM
Woohoo - - You forgot Brian Bahskar, he is actually shooting 100% with his 1 for 1, I suppose that translates into him needing 5 a game.

In seriousness, I would like to see Gary take a few more each game.

sittingon50
12-12-2013, 09:11 AM
And the following year, Gonzaga's 7' Center (& later to be Wookie) led the WCC in 3 Pt. % during league play; 15-31 .484%!!

Trivia about the 1999 team, gleaned for Root's rebroadcast of the Florida game: eight guys on that team shot better than 35 percent from 3. That amounts to all eight who made a 3 that year (Neither Eaton nor Spink hit one all year). Confirmed by basketballreference.com: http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/gonzaga/1999.html

titopoet
12-12-2013, 09:25 AM

Also lead in overall percentage and over all offensive efficiency. Frightening thing of other teams, is that they are still growing.