PDA

View Full Version : USA - USA

Knotsolucky
12-10-2013, 07:17 PM
What was that chant (USA - USA) supposed to mean early in the game when Karno was shooting free throws???

Win or lose I lost a lot of respect for WV tonight...

CDC84
12-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Especially since WVU has had their fair share of foreign players....like that big Turkish dude the last few years.

jazzdelmar
12-10-2013, 07:21 PM
What was that chant (USA - USA) supposed to mean early in the game when Karno was shooting free throws???

Win or lose I lost a lot of respect for WV tonight...

Is that why? Student sections are notoriously dumb but that one deserves an apology from the chief musketeer at WVU.

RenoZag
12-10-2013, 07:23 PM
What do you expect from a bunch of hillbilly rednecks ?

jazzdelmar
12-10-2013, 07:25 PM

High road, Reno. Take the high road.

Marcus
12-10-2013, 07:29 PM
I was surprised by this as well, they chanted it a bit for Kevin too but mostly for Karno. I'm not really offended by it as a Canadian, just think its a stupid way to try and get into his head. Is he really going to get thrown off by a crowd chanting that? Don't think so.

Hoopaholic
12-10-2013, 07:30 PM
I was surprised by this as well, they chanted it a bit for Kevin too but mostly for Karno. I'm not really offended by it as a Canadian, just think its a stupid way to try and get into his head. Is he really going to get thrown off by a crowd chanting that? Don't think so.

college kids......see it around the country in various chants

U Zig, I Zag
It was silly and cheap.

kitzbuel

Seriously?

scott257
12-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Glad they had a chant for Karnowski, it may have helped his free throw percentage tonight.

bigblahla
After a great win like that some here are getting upset at college kids trying to get under Shem's skin?

We have waxed the court with WVU the last two years they wanted revenge. They booed Kevin almost every time he touched the ball.

Seems to me the K-Club has had their moments.

Seriously, did Shem look upset?

C'mon Zaggies that was nothing.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

cmtr91zag
The Florida fans were doing the same chant to Wiggins in the Florida-Kansas game tonight

maynard g krebs
12-10-2013, 07:32 PM

+1. The calls they were booing showed their collective iq (also, coincidentally, their collective number of teeth). I was in Morgantown for the regional in 1971 and 72.

MTZag03
12-10-2013, 07:38 PM
It was just a dumb chant. I was talking about it during the game to my wife and mom. It was just college students being dumb. The Kennel Club has done worse. Anyone remember the "Brokeback Mountain" chant? It was just very poorly executed. And for me, I have lost no respect whatsoever for what I think is a pretty decent program with a good fanbase and coach.

RenoZag
12-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Seriously?

You're right. I should have said what do you expect from hillbilly college kids.

GoZags
12-10-2013, 07:42 PM
It was just a dumb chant. I was talking about it during the game to my wife and mom. It was just college students being dumb. The Kennel Club has done worse. Anyone remember the "Brokeback Mountain" chant? It was just very poorly executed. And for me, I have lost no respect whatsoever for what I think is a pretty decent program with a good fanbase and coach.

Kennel Club has NEVER chanted "Brokeback Mountain". Ever.

"Brokeback Kickert" is another story.

23dpg
12-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Mostly harmless. I certainly don't see any malice in it.

Big shrug…..but

What a game!

HillBillyZag
12-10-2013, 07:44 PM
Only another college student cares about who chants what?, in an opponent's pep section on a hostile floor. The Zag's paid it little heed

gonwick
Colorado chanted the same to wiggins. I don't think it is that big of a deal. The fans don't do their research like duke, etc, so take the easy route.

Zagtana
I agree. Dumb, but who cares. We got the last laugh. We won, in their house.

northsidezagfan
12-10-2013, 07:45 PM

Exactly. Lighten up everyone.

gonwick
12-10-2013, 07:51 PM
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=2509&t=12462777
Their board decided about the same. Hilariously, in another thread they criticize the officiating. That phantom offensive foul on Pangos makes it hard to have sympathy.

GUZag08
12-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Anyone know why they were booing Pangos the entire game? Any specific reason?

zag69
12-10-2013, 08:08 PM
This thread is a new low in inanity, even for this board. That's entertainment!

rennis
12-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Especially since WVU has had their fair share of foreign players....like that big Turkish dude the last few years.

This...is...SPARTTTTAAAA!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RenoZag
12-10-2013, 08:19 PM

At the WVU Scout Board which gonwick linked to above, there's a thread on that question. Apparently the student section routinely boo the opposition's best player.

Same board has a thread on how PK got away with murder and their guys were getting no breaks from the zebras. . .pretty standard message board stuff.

LongIslandZagFan
12-10-2013, 08:27 PM
You want to lose respect for the WV fans... complain about the boos and consternation over lack of calls and calls not going their way. Most showed complete lack of hoops knowledge. But to me... the USA USA chant was A-OK. It showed that the people in charge knew he was foreign and they tried to get into his head. It backfired. But not worth the 1s and 0s to complain about it.

SWZag
12-10-2013, 09:11 PM
Can't say that "USA USA" would remotely come close to some of the things the Kennel Club has said, or any other opponent for that matter. If it is true that it was for "United States of America," I'm happy they have pride in their country.

But I think they were really chanting about our next opponent in the BIS, University of South Alabama.....

SWZag

DixieZag
12-10-2013, 09:20 PM
All I can say is that it is a gooooddd thing that the "Charge" called on Kevin with 2 to play turned out not to matter, and it sure could have.

THAT was a horrible call.

I actually thought that the game was called just fine - some mystifying calls both ways, eh.

jake
12-10-2013, 09:36 PM
I hesitate to even respond, but saying you've lost respect for WVU for that chant is looking at them through Zag colored glasses. Either that or our student section has significantly changed the tone of a portion of their cheers since I last regularly attended games in Spokane.

sittingon50
12-10-2013, 10:22 PM
I was thinking because he has torched them the past 2 meetings.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-10-2013, 10:30 PM
As a Polish American, I'll say that I didn't think anything of the chant and was surprised to see this thread.

TexasZagFan
12-11-2013, 05:41 AM
For Pete's sake! I went to GU when the student section was known as the Snake Pit, before freshman teams were eliminated. We were so bad (how bad were we?), that during the warmups for the second half, every member of the opposing team was shooting from the side of the court away from us.

Political correctness was a term not yet imagined in those days.

The chant was pointless, trite, and marginally humorous.

Zag4Hire
12-11-2013, 06:08 AM
Colorado chanted the same to wiggins. I don't think it is that big of a deal. The fans don't do their research like duke, etc, so take the easy route.

Yeah I think that was the bothersome aspect: Cheap and no research. Although like everything else with research, it can have a wide range of being productive and destructive. For chants, they seem to vary from borderline inappropriate but funny (Nigel Dixon treatment by Cameron Crazies) to outright offensive (Steve Kerr treatment by ASU fans).

zaguarxj
12-11-2013, 06:54 AM
Glad they had a chant for Karnowski, it may have helped his free throw percentage tonight.
That's what I was thinking. Can we get the kennel club to chant u-s-a when Shem shoots free-throws? It's the silence that's killing him!

cjm720
12-11-2013, 07:02 AM
Kennel Club has NEVER chanted "Brokeback Mountain". Ever.

Are you saying the KC wasn't behind it or it didn't happen? I remember it happening is why I ask.

basketballzag
12-11-2013, 07:05 AM
The USA chant that keeps erupting when Karno is in the game is because Karno sort of looks like Ivan Drago from Rocky IV. In Rocky IV the crowd started cheering USA for the underdog and those schools who scream also understand their team is an underdog against the Zags.

JPtheBeasta
12-11-2013, 07:13 AM
The way they booed every call, even the obviously good ones, was reminiscent of the BYU home crowd. These make for very satisfying wins. I almost turned the audio off on the TV last night, though.

JPtheBeasta
12-11-2013, 07:15 AM
You want to lose respect for the WV fans... complain about the boos and consternation over lack of calls and calls not going their way. Most showed complete lack of hoops knowledge. But to me... the USA USA chant was A-OK. It showed that the people in charge knew he was foreign and they tried to get into his head. It backfired. But not worth the 1s and 0s to complain about it.

Didn't see this when I posted... +1

Goshzagit
12-11-2013, 07:26 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zfDZqiHzRF8/TOMgcYsS1eI/AAAAAAAAFuM/3WxgFC7t5JE/s400/nothinghere.jpg

Kiddwell
12-11-2013, 07:27 AM
Kiddwell thought the West Virginnie fans innocently and honestly mistook December 10th for Independence Day. :lmao:

:]

<Disclaimer: This fan actually likes the Mountaineers.>

sittingon50
12-11-2013, 10:59 AM
:lmao: