• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Gonzaga vs Arkansas...predictions and other thoughts

I believe the Zags will will tomorrow. I think it will be a very rugged, tough game like the game against Dayton. Let's see how the Zags handle this one tomorrow. I think it could very well be a 3 or 4 point victory for the Zags. We need a game like that. The Zags need another game like the one against Dayton, so they can redeem themselves, as well as prepare themselves for the close games coming this year. We're now 0-1 in close games. Let's make it one and one.

Sam is shooting well so far in the first two games in Maui. I hope he keeps it up, and think he will. We need his offensive game inside. But honestly we need him even more on Defense and the boards
    PK will have another chance tomorrow to prove that he can play with toughness and courage, and he will be tested for sure. Arkansas is tough and athletic.

Can Gonzaga win when they are not shooting well from behind the 3 pt line? Im hopeing we don't have to find out tomorrow, but may.

What I hope to see? More of Coleman. At least 8 threes.

Gonzaga 82
    Arkansas 76
    Last edited by Reborn; 11-27-2013, 08:03 AM.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • DZ
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

Though I agree that it would be a huge learning experience to win a tight game by 3 or 4 points, I would be fine with blowing this team out of the gym with another hot shooting game.

We simply cannot afford to drop another game given our light weight schedule this year - not unless we want to pin our tournament lives upon winning the WCC tournament and I certainly don't.

Ideally, I would love to see Karno have a great game, get better position, play better defense and be somewhat a bigger force on the boards.

Like many, I would like to see Gary really be aggressive and lead the team in scoring.

I want to see Stocks take fewer risks early in the shot clock and not dribble drive himself into trouble.

Perimeter defense would be a nice attribute.

Out rebound them.

GU 85
    Ark 75
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Comment

• Mantua
      Zag for Life
      • Mar 2007

I want to see:
      Rebounding and blocking out by everyone
      Perimeter d
      GBJ with just as many assists but more shots
      Coleman (well-hydrated)
      Dranginis
      No one poking Dower in the eye
      Garbage time
      Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• ZagMan in Philly
        Zag for Life
        • Apr 2007

Zags have to play more physical and out rebound them. The two bigs stay out of foul trouble.
        Just win!

Comment

• stevet75
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Feb 2007

I think Dayton woke the Zags up, Chaminade gave them time to think about it and Arkansas will get the results.
          Zags 90
          Arkansas 78
          “People have an uncanny ability to make me think I am smarter than I really am. Human Beings bring me back to reality.” S.T.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by stevet75 View Post
            I think Dayton woke the Zags up, Chaminade gave them time to think about it and Arkansas will get the results.
            Zags 90
            Arkansas 78
            Gonzaga 99
            Arkansas 84
            Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• primal23
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

GU 86
              Ark 90

Karno and Dower get gassed and/or foul trouble.
              11 cheers for binary!

"Make me a sandwich"
              "Make it yourself"
              "Sudo Make me a sandwich"
              "Okay"

Comment

• RenoZag
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Third game in three days = tired legs for both teams, jump shots that don't fall, free throws that don't drop, turnovers and silly fouls induced by fatigue. . .I don't expect a thing of beauty this afternoon. I do expect the Zags to compete and notch another "W"

Zags 78
                Hogs 74
                The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• bartruff1
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
                  Third game in three days = tired legs for both teams, jump shots that don't fall, free throws that don't drop, turnovers and silly fouls induced by fatigue. . .I don't expect a thing of beauty this afternoon. I do expect the Zags to compete and notch another "W"

Zags 78
                  Hogs 74
                  Makes sense to me, but just to be slightly different....Gonzaga by 6....80-74.....

Comment

• McZag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Lack of perimeter D combined with a tired, poor shooting effort will likely mean another teachable moment for the Zags.

Hogs 76
                    Zags 68
                    sigpic
                    Gonzaga Basketball
                    Exhibiting Character Since 1907

Comment

• kitzbuel
                      • Feb 2007

I hope to see some really good fast break basketball. Guard penetration with trailers and kickouts moving off screens. Make Arkansas have to guard at a high pace and get them to be out of position on D and hand-checking and all the things that draw fouls now.
                      'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                      - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• Reborn
                        Zag for Life
                        • Oct 2007

Before the season started there was a thread asking for our opinions about how we thought the Zags would do in November. I said one loss. So far so good. Come on, Zags. Don't let me down today.

Go Zags!!!

Comment

• Zag4Hire
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post

What I hope to see? More of Coleman.
                          Reborn, exactly this. Don't know a lot about Arkansas but if I had to guess: a mid-to-lower level tier BCS school squad (big & athletic) with not a ton of shooters but can suck up rebounds. I don't know what the rest of you guys think but if the Hogs hit their FTs at a good clip, this sounds like a recipe for disaster. Just looked up Qualls and he is a 6'6" athletic looking guard and a potential matchup problem. I am going to put GU winning based upon Coleman's minutes: > or equal to 15 - GU wins; < 15 - GU loses.

Unfortunately, I think another reality check looms before turkey:

Hogs 80
                          Zags 77
                          IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

Comment

• Ezag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

If they play like Dayton, we're in trouble. Even if Coleman plays well, we need more than Pangos and Dower scoring. Karno, Drag, Stocks and Bell need to step it up a couple notches

Comment

• Reborn
                              Zag for Life
                              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Zag4Hire View Post
                              Reborn, exactly this. Don't know a lot about Arkansas but if I had to guess: a mid-to-lower level tier BCS school squad (big & athletic) with not a ton of shooters but can suck up rebounds. I don't know what the rest of you guys think but if the Hogs hit their FTs at a good clip, this sounds like a recipe for disaster. Just looked up Qualls and he is a 6'6" athletic looking guard and a potential matchup problem. I am going to put GU winning based upon Coleman's minutes: > or equal to 15 - GU wins; < 15 - GU loses.

Unfortunately, I think another reality check looms before turkey:

Hogs 80
                              Zags 77
                              The Zags will indeed be tested, just as they were against Dayton. Arkansas is built much like Dayton. A tall, 6'6" guard (wing) and a very good small forward at 6'7" who will give Dower fits (imo) and is just too good for Barham to stop. This is a team that we need to play zone against. I felt that Few should have stuck with the zone defense against Dayton. Playing man to man against teams like Dayton and Arkansas will just cause the Zags to get into foul problems.

Unfortunately, Arkansas has a good 3 pt shooting team. So imo, we need to play a match-up zone. They are also good free-throw shooters so we do not want to put them on the line. That will happen if we play man to man. Part of Arkansas strength is their press, and tempo they play at. This could be a game in the 90's. I think GU will handle their press because one of our strengths is our ball handling and passing. I think this kind of game will be fun to watch.

I believe the Zags' loss to Dayton will help them get ready for Arkansas. I just believe that GU was not ready for the level of intensity that Dayton played at. Dayton had a fight in them that GU had not seen up to that point. Arkansas will play with that same intensity because honestly, they have not had the greatest of teams in the past five years or so. I think they may have a new coach who is trying to bring back the old style of Razorback basketball. He has the players on this team that seems to be doing that.

I think Gonzaga needs to come to grips with the fact that they are NOT seen by their opponents as a mid-major small university program. Teams who play GU now view us as an elite program and they take great pride in beating us. This was so true for Dayton. You could see it in their eyes. I think Arkansas will see this as a big game, but not quite as big as Dayton saw us. Afterall, Arkansas does come from a Power Conference. I think for them to beat Florida or Tennessee would be much bigger for them. Although Arkansas will play with intensity, I don't believe they will have quite the intensity that Dayton had. I believe that for today, this is a bigger game for GU then it is for Arkansas. For that reason we will see a higher level of intensity and fight in the Zags today then we saw against Dayton.

Comment

Working...
                              X