PDA

View Full Version : Official Great Alaska Shootout Schedule

Butler Guy
08-24-2007, 07:04 AM
2007 Great Alaska Shootout

Wednesday, Nov. 21
Butler vs. Michigan, 7:30 p.m. (ESPN2)
Eastern Washington vs. Virginia Tech, 9:45 p.m.

Thursday, Nov. 22
Texas Tech vs. Alaska Anchorage, 5 p.m. (ESPN360)
Western Kentucky vs. Gonzaga, 7:30 p.m. (ESPNU)

Friday, Nov. 23
EWU/VT loser vs. BU/UM loser, 12 noon
WKU/GU loser vs. TT/UAA loser, 2 p.m.
EWU/VT winner vs. BU/UM winner, 5:30 p.m. (ESPN360)
WKU/GU winner vs. TT/UAA winner, 8 p.m. (ESPN360)

-------------------------

Link (http://butlersports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/082407aab.html)

J-Mac Zag Forever
08-24-2007, 07:13 AM
LOVE IT! Sweet revenge Texas teck and Butler. Wow!

CDC84
08-24-2007, 07:22 AM
The first Gonzaga game is on ESPNU, which tons of people still do not get, and then the second round game can only be watched online. Watching games online basically requires a supercomputer with a super connection speed, and even then it's still not as good as TV. Give me radio.

http://broadband.espn.go.com/espn360/

At least the championship is on ESPN2 if the Zags get that far.

BTW....Western KY is not going to be a pushover team. They have two really good players and probably have postseason aspirations this season. I would rather face EWU or Alaska-Anchorage in the first round, but GAS, unlike the Maui Invitational, doesn't seed their tourney field 1 thru 8.

Rubbadub
08-24-2007, 07:38 AM
Is espnu going to be doing more zags games this year than in years past?

Butler Guy
08-24-2007, 07:46 AM
the schedule. All three games my team will be in, will be net positives to the Committee. The same goes for the Zags, but going through WKU/Texas Tech (w/ no day off) is much tougher than Michigan/Va Tech (w/ a day in between), I sincerely hope both Dawgs make the final.

BoltZag
08-24-2007, 08:27 AM
Is espnu going to be doing more zags games this year than in years past?

The carriage on ESPNU has nothing to do with GU. It's the contract the Shootout has with the worldwide leader.

thickman1
08-24-2007, 08:30 AM
well this sucks...I guess I won't be watching these games. I find it hard to believe that only 2 games will be on ESPN2. It seems like more of the games were on this past season and the schools involved didn't carry the weight that this year's tourney as. Disappointing.

Zags-Bsee
08-24-2007, 08:36 AM
Having just found this board a few months ago, I want to say thanks to everyone for contributing so much valuable information. I am shocked at how clueless as a Zag fan I was before being addicted to this board.

THANKS

Plus, if we don't meet and beat Butler, then our team will have a wake up call early for this season. I hope Butler makes it to the final game too. Certain games have more pain then others. The Butler game last year was painful. I am hoping for some healing.

It will be a better year just being able to enjoy this board during the season. THANKS

BobZag
08-24-2007, 09:09 AM
2007 Great Alaska Shootout

Wednesday, Nov. 21
Butler vs. Michigan, 7:30 p.m. (ESPN2)
Eastern Washington vs. Virginia Tech, 9:45 p.m.

Thursday, Nov. 22
Texas Tech vs. Alaska Anchorage, 5 p.m. (ESPN360)
Western Kentucky vs. Gonzaga, 7:30 p.m. (ESPNU)

Friday, Nov. 23
EWU/VT loser vs. BU/UM loser, 12 noon
WKU/GU loser vs. TT/UAA loser, 2 p.m.
EWU/VT winner vs. BU/UM winner, 5:30 p.m. (ESPN360)
WKU/GU winner vs. TT/UAA winner, 8 p.m. (ESPN360)

-------------------------

Link (http://butlersports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/082407aab.html)

Butler got the matchups I had been hoping Gonzaga would get: BCS. As for our matchups? Average and rather non-exciting. I hope Tom Hudson brings his A Game. It'll be played in the Theater of the Mind for me.

lawzag
08-24-2007, 11:40 AM
anyone know if there is a possibility that the local station (KHQ) will carry the "ESPNU" and/or ESPN360 game for us ... or is that an FCC no no?

229SintoZag
08-24-2007, 11:53 AM
This tournament has really tanked in the past couple of years.

I am not excited about this at all.

Sorry. Hate to come across as spoiled and arrogant, but the field is mediocre at best and the TV exposure is worse--on par with UW's.

We need to do better.

At least we have an opporunity to get back at Bobby Knight's Texas Tech squad.

Other than that I see this as a so-so tournament that really won't do wonders for our RPI or for potential marquee wins. Butler is the best team in the field--hopefully we get them in the final if we can make it that far.

WTF is ESPN 360? Is that some sort of online sports deal with Anderson Cooper folded into the mix?

Butler Guy
08-24-2007, 12:13 PM
the scheduled start time for the Eastern Washington vs Va Tech game is 9:45 pm. What time zone is Alaska? Is it Pacific, or does it have its own? Well anyways, it's 4 hours (at least) later of a 9:45pm than Va Tech's body clocks are adjusted to. You want a good-play upset for early November action (for those who do place a bet from time-to-time)? How about EWU over the literally sleep-walking Hokies?

lothar98zag
08-24-2007, 12:41 PM
:mad: GU doesn't get a @#$%#&#$* rest day either. :mad:

:mad: GU better win the whole thing to make me happy they are up there playing in front of a webcam feed. :mad:

Nevtelen
08-24-2007, 03:58 PM
Yeah, gotta say I'm pretty disapointed with that schedule, especially the TV coverage. I wish we could have hammered VTech and Michigan instead of who we got. OTOH, W Kentucky should be pretty tough but should be a decent boost for our RPI - ESPN notes (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2967483) that they have some good incoming recruits on a pretty good team. *sigh* At least Butler will be a good game. And there's the revenge factor with the presumed TTech and Butler games.

In another oddity, doesn't UAA usually set themselves up for a win somewhere? I can't believe they actually think they're going to beat the General and W Kentucky should whoop them if that team is anything like their hype. So where's the win? Seems kinda odd.

Overall, I guess it's not a bad year for the Zags to be going to a smaller tourney with all the important new pieces needing to be integrated into the team, but I don't think I'd cry very much if the Zags never played in the GAS again if this is the level it's gotten to.

Oh, BTW, does anyone know if it's possible to get ESPN 360 if you're not on the IPs they cite on their website? I mean, limiting their service to 2 IPs must decimate the number of users who could possibly access it. It just seems crazy to me.

LongIslandZagFan
08-24-2007, 04:17 PM
@*#^&#(!^@(!_&^#& :mad::mad::mad::mad:

CABLEVISION IS EVIL!!!!!! I cannot wait to switch companies. FIOS is only months away... hopefully before the GAS.

ZagMania
08-24-2007, 06:24 PM
So do you have to pay for ESPN 360? How do I know if my ISP is an ESPN-affiliate? :confused:

Radbooks
08-24-2007, 08:16 PM
I know that Charter Cable in the Tri-Cities doesn't carry ESPN 360 because a couple of times I've tried to use it and I always get an error message, plus a note telling me to ask my cable company to sign up for the service. :mad:

ZagNative
08-24-2007, 11:38 PM
And the Kentucky press weighs in ..

Bowling Green Daily News (http://bgdailynews.com/articles/2007/08/25/sports/sports2.txt)

“The whole reason we took this tournament was to play against top-level and top conference teams,” Western coach Darrin Horn said. “Gonzaga will probably be in the top 25 in the preseason. It's something that accomplishes our goals of improving our RPI nonconference and playing a quality schedule.”

If the Hilltoppers were to beat Gonzaga, they would likely face Texas Tech and legendary coach Bob Knight in the semifinals - Texas Tech meets tournament host Alaska Anchorage in Thursday's other first-round game.

Meanwhile, Butler meets Michigan and Virginia Tech faces Eastern Washington in Wednesday's quarterfinal games.

There will be four contests on Friday and four contests on Saturday, including the championship on ESPN2 at 11:30 p.m.

“It's a solid field,” Horn said. “I think maybe what is missing in terms of overall is there's been one, maybe two teams that are top-10 caliber teams that you don't see this year. But at the same time you have major conference schools and teams like Butler and Gonzaga.”

Gonzaga has been to the NCAA Tournament the past nine years and has won seven consecutive West Coast Conference regular-season titles. Gonzaga is expected to return three starters from last year's 23-11 team.

JLGutrocks
08-25-2007, 02:24 AM
This is a tourney the wife and I discussed this night. We'll be heading to Northern quest. They provide a great atmosphere, and all ESPN-I -Bet-I DCan-screw-you-out-of a -few more-dollars-permonth networks. Look forward to seein it and maybe we should plan a board sumpin-sumpin?

JL

tyra
08-25-2007, 08:22 AM
All in on the Board sumpin-sumpin.

lawzag
08-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Good Idea JL -
I too am in for a gathering at Northern Quest were we can all get together & cheer on the team...however, NQ is a big place, so we need to set a definitive place to meet since most of use don't know what the others look like :)

Scotto
08-25-2007, 04:43 PM
I'll meet up if there will be some single chicks.

tyra
08-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Good Idea JL -
since most of use don't know what the others look like :)

Yeah, right, like we won't all be ridiculously draped in Zag fan gear? :D

bigjeep
08-25-2007, 05:16 PM
I`d like to invite you to view Hilltopperhaven (http://hilltopperhaven.com/),our WKU message board. On this site you`ll get a preview of the team, our history and plenty of University of Kentucky bashing. We`er thrilled to be playing Gonzaga and hope it leads to home and home...

Best of luck this season Zags, especially against Georgia...Felton bailed the last minute on our last of 4 game series with them...

ZagNative
08-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Thanks for dropping by, BigJeep. We'll look forward to some insider info from you here from time to time, and I have a hunch some of us more nomadic types will be making the odd excursion to the Hilltoper Haven Message Board (http://www.hilltopperhaven.com/board/viewforum.php?f=10) as well. As you may have heard, the Zags travel well and often, and that includes the members of this message board.

Only 68 days until November 1!

lawzag
08-25-2007, 07:43 PM
I'm sure this board's full of single chicks!

Scotto
08-26-2007, 04:04 PM
I'm sure this board's full of single chicks!

I was being facetious my friend. :)

Butler Guy
08-27-2007, 10:25 AM
for those teams who play Va Tech.

Va Tech's top incoming player, Dorenzo Hudson, will not be eligible until Dec. 17, meaning the team will be depleted for the GAS, but made full again in time to disallow a permanent harming of the team's RPI. In short, you get the cake and you get to eat it too. :D

Link (http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=706295)

Butler Guy
08-30-2007, 05:44 AM
I guess I didn't put 2 and 2 together before, but with Coach Bielien taking over at Michigan that means that the first round match-up of Butler vs Michigan is going to feature a team trying to play a 1-3-1 zone against one of the best jump shooting teams in the country. That will be very interesting to see!

CDC84
08-30-2007, 08:18 AM
It will be interesting to see how quickly Beilein's kids take to the 1-3-1. The fact that he has so many new players probably helps. He's starting from scratch in a lot of ways. The 1-3-1 is one of those defenses like the matchup zone that your kids really need to master and believe in for it to be effective.