• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • former1dog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

"New Rules": So far, so Great!

Personally, I'm loving the so called new rules this year with an emphasis on the officials favoring the offensive player when it comes to calling fouls and getting the scoring up. If the officials keep this up and continue to call games this way, its going to revolutionize the college game in a very positive way.

It will be interesting going forward to see if we start seeing "skinny" basketball players again? There has been a real emphasis over the past decade to get basketball players looking more and more like footballers because of the physical play.

I also am going to enjoy the fact that teams that played Gonzaga close in the past essentially because they took advantage of the lack of emphasis on the hand checking rules are now not going to have that as a weapon. Teams like USF won't be able to keep it close by breaking the rules anymore, at least I hope not.
  • LongIslandZagFan
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
    Personally, I'm loving the so called new rules this year with an emphasis on the officials favoring the offensive player when it comes to calling fouls and getting the scoring up. If the officials keep this up and continue to call games this way, its going to revolutionize the college game in a very positive way.

It will be interesting going forward to see if we start seeing "skinny" basketball players again? There has been a real emphasis over the past decade to get basketball players looking more and more like footballers because of the physical play.

I also am going to enjoy the fact that teams that played Gonzaga close in the past essentially because they took advantage of the lack of emphasis on the hand checking rules are now not going to have that as a weapon. Teams like USF won't be able to keep it close by breaking the rules anymore, at least I hope not.
    You don't take the "WCC refs completely suck" factor into account F1D. They will find a way to screw it up. I have faith.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• MTZag03
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2012

Yeah, I particularly like the drop in charges. If the defender is beat and out of position they can no longer step in at the last second.

Comment

• former1dog
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
        You don't take the "WCC refs completely suck" factor into account F1D. They will find a way to screw it up. I have faith.
        I hope you're wrong, but you do have a point. Those sucky refs tried to give BYU the win the other night.

And, I'm sorry. I couldn't bring myself to root for BYU the other night. I really, really, really dislike their fan base now.

Comment

• former1dog
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MTZag03 View Post
          Yeah, I particularly like the drop in charges. If the defender is beat and out of position they can no longer step in at the last second.
          Amen, even though that has admittedly been a pretty big weapons for GU.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
            I hope you're wrong, but you do have a point. Those sucky refs tried to give BYU the win the other night.

And, I'm sorry. I couldn't bring myself to root for BYU the other night. I really, really, really dislike their fan base now.
            I don't like their fanbase either, but I feel like I have to root for that dumb team. UGH!
            Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• NotoriousZ
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2008

I am of the opinion that the "new rules" cost us the Dayton game (besides the fact that we couldn't rebound or defend). Bell's two quick fouls and early exit in the first half kept Dayton close enough in the game to launch that ridiculous comeback in the second half. And Pangos probably would not have fouled out either.

It's our own fault, we knew the rules.
              It's peanut butter jelly time!

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                Zag for Life
                • Nov 2013

Originally posted by NotoriousZ View Post
                I am of the opinion that the "new rules" cost us the Dayton game (besides the fact that we couldn't rebound or defend). Bell's two quick fouls and early exit in the first half kept Dayton close enough in the game to launch that ridiculous comeback in the second half. And Pangos probably would not have fouled out either.

It's our own fault, we knew the rules.
                Well it was bad officiating all night from the get go too. Plenty of bad calls went both ways though, but the refs called the game so tight, both teams were in the penalty it seemed like in both halves by the 11 minute mark. Its ridiculous.
                Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• ZagginAround
                  Redshirt
                  • Aug 2011

I think the new rules are awful. Yes it is good with the charges, but what fun is it to see a free throw contest 8 min into the game? If there is even slight contact with a defender out of position, there is a foul called. With these new changes, any contact from a lay up is called. So why not just give up an easy lay up rather then challenging them to the hoop. Stockton on one didn't even seem to touch the guy and it was called a foul. Ever since, he would just try and take a swipe at the ball and run past the guy driving to the hoop. I don't meant to nit pick every call, but there is absolutely no flow in the game any more with these calls. If both teams are in the bonus that early, defenses play too relaxed giving up too many lay ups and everyone gets into foul trouble. I am not saying the changes are why we lost, but if you have Bell and Stockton with 2 early fouls, of course that is going to change the way you play and how you use them the rest of the game. I am just not a fan of the new rules because I think it eliminates pretty much all contact and don't want to see the game move towards a new strategy of playing around players who are in foul trouble...which is everyone.

Comment

• CdAZagFan
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2013

Don't like the new rules... It seems there is absolutely no way for guards to play defense anymore and causes way too many fouls (and slows the game way down). I thought it would give us an advantage, but our guards weren't as agressive as their guards last night...

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2008

Ugh............
                      "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• Waiting for Bell
                        Redshirt
                        • Feb 2011

With the new rules, IMO the college game is almost becoming unwatchable. I for one have preferred the college game over the NBA because of the heart and soul that was emphasized in playing D-fense. It was what separated good teams from great teams. Now, that half of the game is gone.

Watching teams in the bonus five minutes into each half does not make the game more exciting for fans.

Go zags!

Comment

• roxdoc
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

I think these particular refs took the new rules to the extreme in the game. To be fair the calls went both ways. At halftime I said to myself..."what an ugly game". Just took all of the flow away with the constant stoppages - the ultimate grinder game! Be interesting to see if the refs take it that close in their next game.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                            Zag for Life
                            • Oct 2008

+1 on the game being almost unwatchable. The amount of whistles last night bordered on the absurd.

Comment

• NotoriousZ
                              Zag for Life
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                              +1 on the game being almost unwatchable. The amount of whistles last night bordered on the absurd.
                              +2 on that. I bet they change it back by next season. Even if we win by Pangos dribbling until he gets fouled, is that fun to watch?
                              It's peanut butter jelly time!

Comment

Working...
                              X