• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mumblingbulldog
    Redshirt
    • Jun 2013

Edwards out against WSU and questionable for Maui

Per Jim Meehan "GU's Ryan Edwards, recovering from having his tonsils removed, out for WSU game, questionable for Maui Invitational"
  • hooter73
    Zag for Life
    • Jun 2008

dangit. Its got to be tearing him up to not be able to play.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
      • Mar 2008

Ouch. Really hurts him and the team.....sad
      The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• Vanzagger
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Yes ouch and pass the jello
        Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Comment

• CDC84
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

And even if he is ready for Maui, it's not an ideal place for him to get his first real game action. He's going to have some rust and nerves. If the Zags don't have him for Maui, things could get really tough. You might see GU zone more than usual to protect Karno and Dower.

Comment

• MDABE80
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

He's missing lots of valuable time. Hope he's better in 4-6 weeks. I doubt we come out of Maui with a undefeated record. Dayton's a lot better than I thought. Could be trouble ahead. Karno will be tested tremendously. Good thing they put AC in that gym. We'll need to run and shoot very well.

Comment

• hooter73
              Zag for Life
              • Jun 2008

I HATE the idea of it but if hes not playing my early december, I doubt we see him at all. Red shirt.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by hooter73 View Post
                I HATE the idea of it but if hes not playing my early december, I doubt we see him at all. Red shirt.
                Hoot, that seems extreme...and extremely unfortunate.

Comment

• CDC84
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

I disagree. He is an essential member of this team. The team doesn't have a single backup big man right now who is ready for this level like Ryan is (a thing that Few said is a major staff concern on the Coaches Show). Both Karno (especially) and Dower are foul prone. Ryan is a big 7 footer who can give GU a legit 10-12 MPG.

Honestly, if Ryan weren't available until January, I still think the staff wouldn't redshirt him. The small lineup with Barham or K-Drang at power forward isn't going to work against really good teams with strong frontcourts.

I hate to see a kid wasting too much of his eligibility while healing up from an injury or illness, but in this case, Edwards is as important as any bench player besides Coleman. He has to play if possible. There's no one else who can take his place. Luke Meilke is probably not ready enough to bang down low with the types of teams GU will see in March and at various points this season. Also, Luke is not 7 feet tall and doesn't have the bulk that Ryan does. What GU really needs is a sub for Shem, who just can't seem to stay out of foul trouble.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                    • Mar 2008

If he is back fully, healthy and game condition by WCC I would expect to see him playing....he can gain SOME valuable experience within the WCC but will miss out on facing top level athletic opponents which would hurt in the post season
                    The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

Working...
                    X