PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Washington St...predictions and your thoughts about the game

Reborn
11-20-2013, 06:16 AM
Gonzaga U 82

WSU 69

I hope to see a real good game. I want to see if WSU can challenge the Zags. For me this is our first real challenge, and therefore it will be a good barometer for telling us how good the Zags are right now. As you can see, I think the Zags are pretty good. I think we're going to be surprised by how good the Zags look.

This will be a good test for our players. I hope to see them play well. I'd like to see PK have a very strong game, as the Zags prepare for Maui. I hope to see our post players get around 10 rebounds each.

I hope to see Coleman play more.

The Cougars appear on paper to be going with a four guard lineup. Their small forward appears to be 6'7" tall so we may see more of Coleman. Bell, most likely will guard Lacey who is 6'4" tall. The small forward appears to be a good player. This will also be a game where Dranginis can really have an impact. I hope he steps up.

I'll be anxious to see if we will be able to shoot the 3 pt shot effectively. WSU has very tall guards and will challenge our shooters. This is a game that Dower will have to assert himself. I'd like to see him get 20 and 10.

LongIslandZagFan
11-20-2013, 06:18 AM
Cougs 189
Bulldogs 40

D - Double O - M - E - D

Hoopaholic
11-20-2013, 06:28 AM
I am excited to see how we guard an athletic, attacking point guard...this will be a good early test
defensive assignments will be interesting to watch with the small forward being taller and athletic

On the flip side they dont have anyone that can stop our inside game so long as we remove the foul trouble issue that has been a concern so far this season

I am going with Zags 74 WSU 64

bartruff1
11-20-2013, 06:35 AM
I am excited to see how we guard an athletic, attacking point guard...this will be a good early test
defensive assignments will be interesting to watch with the small forward being taller and athletic

On the flip side they dont have anyone that can stop our inside game so long as we remove the foul trouble issue that has been a concern so far this season

I am going with Zags 74 WSU 64

That sounds pretty reasonable to me. Bone is a heck of a coach (Has about 400 career wins) and I am curious to see how he defends Gonzaga....

stevet75
11-20-2013, 06:40 AM
I want to see the Zags defend the three. Wazzu will have to be shooting a lot from beyond the arch to win this game.
Zags 90 Wazzu 76

gonzagafan62
11-20-2013, 07:19 AM
I want to see the Zags defend the three. Wazzu will have to be shooting a lot from beyond the arch to win this game.
Zags 90 Wazzu 76

This is exactly what I am looking at.

Gonzaga 71
Washington State 67

Since Ken Bone has come over to the Cougs, this hasn't been one of those "struggling to get to 60" games that we saw through the latter part of the 00's, but we have been struggling to get to the 80s and that's the frustrating part.

I really think its going to be another classic, but I just hope our Zags can hang on and get some momentum for that Maui Invitational against Dayton

Hoopaholic
11-20-2013, 07:56 AM
I am guessing you might see a little 3-2 zone actioin with the middle man doubling down leaving stockton open at the top of the key alot

hooter73
11-20-2013, 08:36 AM
they took the eventual number one team in the country down to the last couple of seconds and only lost by one point last year... WSU always finds the will to play us hard. of course they seem use up all that will and generally suck the rest of the year...

This should be a good game for Coleman. Would like to see Dower go for another double double, would really like to see LM, DB and KD mix it up and all three have a good showing but thats starting to get a little deep on the bench and when the game is tight, like WSU seems to usually find a way to keep it, Few has been keeping the rotation down to about 8 or so lately.

maynard g krebs
11-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Zags 87-71.

jbslicer
11-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Zags by eight, 76-68. I like these "big games." I like to see the Kennel Club making a lot of noise one hour before the game.

Kiddwell
11-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Cougs 189
Bulldogs 40

D - Double O - M - E - D

Grunting Out a Win, Zags!, a poem
<ahem>
Prophet of Doom, poor LongIslandZagFan,
Needs veggies and berries, Rice Krispies and bran,
In short, lots of fiber to unplug his end,
To cheer his dour mood and "grunt out a win."
One-Eighty-Nine/Forty? That’s Fan’s Wazzu pick?
(His seater-end’s clog must be big as a brick!)
Oh, comrade, dear cousin, ol’ buddy so cool,
Sure wish you’d ease up some, and loosen that stool!
Try jogging, weightlifting, or (worse case) Ex-lax,
Whatever it takes, buddy, soften that "wax."
If exercise fails, then dig out your pliers.
Butt turn it round quick, 'fore the Zags versus Flyers!
:bishop_smiley:

LIZF's Gentle Relief – 82
Cougs' Abdominal Discomfort - 66

:]

<composed with a wink & good cheer> ;)

Zagdawg
11-20-2013, 07:08 PM
You may have missed your calling.......;)

Baseline
11-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Zags 77-72

Zags11
11-20-2013, 10:39 PM
I have a bad feeling bout this and I can't shake it. I'm goin to ignore the bad feeling, zags win 74-71.

MDABE80
11-20-2013, 11:03 PM
I have a bad feeling bout this and I can't shake it. I'm goin to ignore the bad feeling, zags win 74-71.

This one will closer than many think. Lacy gets his average, it'll be just that harder. Sam needs his "A" game. I think this game offers a great opportunity for Coleman and Kevin.
I think GU will win but it'll be a squeaker...even at home.

Zags11
11-20-2013, 11:09 PM
This one will closer than many think. Lacy gets his average, it'll be just that harder. Sam needs his "A" game. I think this game offers a great opportunity for Coleman and Kevin.
I think GU will win but it'll be a squeaker...even at home.

I am hoping to see a big game from karnowski. I really am. We need to get the post going, I love the 3point shot but there will be gqmes when we are cold from 3. If dower and karnowski combine for 35 and 15, we win going away but I have that cloud hanging.

Zagger
11-21-2013, 12:46 AM
Zags 94 - Wazzu 72
I'm betting the Zags will light it up with around 60% shooting and Kevin raining 3s on WSU once again. Go Zags!

Reborn
11-21-2013, 06:43 AM
I don't read much on this forum any more about the rivalry between Gonzaga and WSU, but there was a time that it was a huge rivalry, and this fact always made this game alot of fun, and very important. I wonder what the feeling is like on the GU campus. Does this game still have that special significance to the students? Does it have it for the players? Or is this just another game? I imagine that it's important to both students and players at WSU because Gonzaga has become a powerhouse. I really like this game with WSU every year. I hate it when they lose to them.

Most of the time this has been a game that is really difficult for the Zags to win. Once in awhile the Zags are able to win this game by more then 15 points, but it doesn't happen very often. The last two years the Zags were fortunate to pull out a win at the end. I believe that this IS the most important game for WSU every year. At least they play like it is.
I won't be surprised at all if it's another nail biter. I feel really good that the Zags are playing in K2. I hope the student body is going crazy all night long. I hope they are really up for this game. The Zags will need them badly.

Go Zags!!!

bigblahla
11-21-2013, 06:57 AM
Zags win. Coleman has his best game yet in a GU uniform and it's not as close a game as in the past. This Gonzaga team is an offensive juggernaut and the only way Wazzu stays in the game is to slow it down ala Oakland if that happens well then it could be close. I just think the Zags run away with this one for a healthy double digit win.

Just my opinion.

GO!! Zags!!!

hooter73
11-21-2013, 08:28 AM
Hoping the Kennel Club has monopoly inspired Get Out of Jail Free cards to wave at the entire cougar team.

Zageist
11-21-2013, 09:19 AM
PAC 12 seems down to me this year, GU 76 WSU 60

ZagaZags
11-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Zags win 82-69 for Woohoo on his B Day.

Goshzagit
11-21-2013, 11:30 AM
Remember the name: Ike Iroegbu. He's a true frosh with excellent guard skills. A little Anthony Ireland, a little Gerard Coleman in him. Lengthy, extremely quick, and can get to the rim easily -- a fearless player.

As most talented guards have done this year, Lacy or Ike will have their way with us. Possibly 20+pts each.

Speaking of remembering, former-Zag recruit Que Johnson(Top-100 prospect) plays for them now as well. Ex- Kansas Jayhawk, Royce Woolridge is active this year for them. Coach Bone secured his best recruiting class with a few Top-150 recruits.

WSU is talented in the backcourt and athletic in the front court. They will pose problems.

Karno and Sam need to bring their A-game to open things up for our guards and rebound the basketball. No Silly fouls.

WSU has size, speed, and strength at every position. That is a given. Potentially one of the quickest backcourts in the Pac-12 this season, sounds crazy, yet it isn't a stretch. . .

Players such as Ike Iroegbu, Devonte Lacy, Royce Woolridge, Que Johnson, et al, are all 6'2"+ guards and are some of the more athletic perimeter players we'll face all year. Good length and strong bodies too. Only Lacy is capable 3pt threat, yet any and all can get to the rim with the best of 'em. Watch for fouls, lots of them.

I think WSU could surprise us. They are the type of team this season that could upset anyone. This isn't the Brock Motum-lead Cougs we've seen the last few seasons.

5 new players playing significant minutes. All Top-150 guys too. I could see our guards struggling in this one a bit, esp the smaller guys. We'll need a dose of the Swiss Army Slasher, if we expect to compete from outside. Also, I could see Dower having a big game.

Anyway,

Cougs - 74
Zags - 78

rennis
11-21-2013, 12:33 PM
I hope I'm wrong but I don't have a good feeling about this game. If Lacey has a big game it could turn out in Cougs favor. Few stated he thinks the Cougs are more athletic at every position. That's scary. Bone knows how to coach and win at GU. I think it's a coinflip honestly, but for the sake of not being too negative I'll still give the Bulldogs the nod, mostly due to home court. I'd pick Cougs if this was going down in Pullman. I don't believe either team is escaping with an easy W tonight, I predict a less than 3 point MOV.

GU 71
WSU 69

cjm720
11-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Zags 82
Cougs 72

Bell's the player of the game for a complete game on both sides of the court.

Baldwinzag
11-21-2013, 01:08 PM
Few stated he thinks the Cougs are more athletic at every position. That's scary. Bone knows how to coach and win at GU.

They are. The most athletic WSU team I've seen in 15+ yrs. Just strong, fast, quick, and athletic from 1-6.

Not the best shooters around, save Lacy. They've been holding teams to sub-60 thus far.

Have struggled to score up front, yet have high level guards along the perimeter.

We are out-quicked at every position unless Coleman is on the floor. It is what it is. I have a feeling we'll be saying this a lot this year, yet definitely rings true re: WSU match-up.

We will need to win with smart, passing, skill, and most importantly, SHOOTING.

Out-shoot them and we win, simple as that, yet I think they'll score pretty easily from the guard spot. Count on a lot of dribble-drives, esp given the new rules.

I could see Pangs, GBJ, Stocks dealing with foul trouble in this one, not the bigs.

Unless GBJ is on him all game, I could see Lacy or their PG, Ike lighting up the scoreboard.

It will be tough to pull away from them. Far and away the most athletic team we'll face not named Baylor or 'Cuse.

gonzagafan62
11-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Remember the name: Ike Iroegbu. He's a true frosh with excellent guard skills. A little Anthony Ireland, a little Gerard Coleman in him. Lengthy, extremely quick, and can get to the rim easily -- a fearless player.

As most talented guards have done this year, Lacy or Ike will have their way with us. Possibly 20+pts each.

Speaking of remembering, former-Zag recruit Que Johnson(Top-100 prospect) plays for them now as well. Ex- Kansas Jayhawk, Royce Woolridge is active this year for them. Coach Bone secured his best recruiting class with a few Top-150 recruits.

WSU is talented in the backcourt and athletic in the front court. They will pose problems.

Karno and Sam need to bring their A-game to open things up for our guards and rebound the basketball. No Silly fouls.

WSU has size, speed, and strength at every position. That is a given. Potentially one of the quickest backcourts in the Pac-12 this season, sounds crazy, yet it isn't a stretch. . .

Players such as Ike Iroegbu, Devonte Lacy, Royce Woolridge, Que Johnson, et al, are all 6'2"+ guards and are some of the more athletic perimeter players we'll face all year. Good length and strong bodies too. Only Lacy is capable 3pt threat, yet any and all can get to the rim with the best of 'em. Watch for fouls, lots of them.

I think WSU could surprise us. They are the type of team this season that could upset anyone. This isn't the Brock Motum-lead Cougs we've seen the last few seasons.

5 new players playing significant minutes. All Top-150 guys too. I could see our guards struggling in this one a bit, esp the smaller guys. We'll need a dose of the Swiss Army Slasher, if we expect to compete from outside. Also, I could see Dower having a big game.

Anyway,

Cougs - 74
Zags - 78

This is a brilliant piece right here Goshzagit. Very good breakdown of the teams. Thanks for posting!

Section 116
11-21-2013, 01:25 PM
Las Vegas had the Zags plus 15 in the morning paper. I think that is too much! Hope I'm wrong!

rennis
11-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Zags 82
Cougs 72

Bell's the player of the game for a complete game on both sides of the court.

I hope you're right.

But you're probably wrong.

:laugh:

RenoZag
11-21-2013, 02:07 PM
Zags 76
Coogs 69

Would like to see Karnowski stay out of early foul trouble. . .

Zag365
11-21-2013, 02:25 PM
I don't read much on this forum any more about the rivalry between Gonzaga and WSU, but there was a time that it was a huge rivalry, and this fact always made this game alot of fun, and very important. I wonder what the feeling is like on the GU campus. Does this game still have that special significance to the students?

Go Zags!!!

Reborn, I get the feeling that today's students and the alums since "the run" started in the mid-1990s don't view the WSU game much differently than a game against any other BCS conference school. It's not like when you played. The WSU game was generally the game of the year -- actually we played WSU home-and-home some years. Gonzaga had no radio/tv so, so you had to attend the game in person if you wanted to know what happened (or you'd have to read S-R sports writer Harry Misseldine's articles, which tended to be WSU "homer" accounts). How well we did against WSU was usually my gauge of how I felt about our season.

Some great individuals involved in those games. Marv Harshman (later went on to coach UW) was coaching the Cougar varsity; Jud Heathcote coached the freshman Coubabes. Hank Anderson was coaching our varsity and the legendary Bud Presley coached our freshman. WSU had players like all-American Jim McKean and the great guards Allen and Stein (don't forget Ted Wierman, Dennis Hogg, etc.). For WSU it was unfortunate that, in those years, UCLA was dominating the Pac-8 and the NCAA tournament year after year. So, WSU came in second even though they had great players. We, of course, had Lechman, Rocha, Brown, Thomas, McGinley, McNair (wonder what ever happened to Jho?), Quigg, Bresnahan, Rheaume, Hunt, Nicola, etc. Even had a great walk-on, John Dougherty, as I recall. Fun years. GU basketball wasn't well-known outside the NW prior to 1995 but it sure has its share of tradition and great stories.

rennis
11-21-2013, 02:30 PM
We, of course, had Lechman, Rocha, Brown, Thomas, McGinley, McNair (wonder what ever happened to Jho?), Quigg, Bresnahan, Rheaume, Hunt, Nicola, etc. Even had a great walk-on, John Dougherty, as I recall. Fun years. GU basketball wasn't well-known outside the NW prior to 1995 but it sure has its share of tradition and great stories.

So many awesome families in that list!!

Worthington
11-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Zags 90
Cougs - 72

Dower and Coleman go for 20 a piece. Team knocks down 12 three pointers

ZagaZags
11-21-2013, 02:52 PM
GU is favored vs WSU. GU is -16 vs WSU.

BurgessEraZag
11-21-2013, 03:14 PM
Thanks for reminding the younger fans about years past. Agree with post but don't forget about Frank Burgess, led the nation in scoring in 1959 (I think). He still has the scoring record 2196 for career (3 years). Don't forget Jean Claude Lefebvre 7-3 Frenchman and Jerry Vermillion rebound champion forever. WSU game was big time rivalry in the 50s and 60s. I rooted for the Cougs in football and make the mistake of wearing a WSU cap to a Zag basketball reunion golf tourney in Las Vegas and just about got crucified by the players. Remember Richard Juarez the great guard from Wapato? Norb Trauba from G-Prep. Many great memories in the old Coliseum in Spokane. Lefebvre scored 52 points at Whitworth's bandbox gym in 1958. Love the Decade of Excellance but nothing like history. And I hope none of it is lost.

Reborn
11-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Reborn, I get the feeling that today's students and the alums since "the run" started in the mid-1990s don't view the WSU game much differently than a game against any other BCS conference school. It's not like when you played. The WSU game was generally the game of the year -- actually we played WSU home-and-home some years. Gonzaga had no radio/tv so, so you had to attend the game in person if you wanted to know what happened (or you'd have to read S-R sports writer Harry Misseldine's articles, which tended to be WSU "homer" accounts). How well we did against WSU was usually my gauge of how I felt about our season.

Some great individuals involved in those games. Marv Harshman (later went on to coach UW) was coaching the Cougar varsity; Jud Heathcote coached the freshman Coubabes. Hank Anderson was coaching our varsity and the legendary Bud Presley coached our freshman. WSU had players like all-American Jim McKean and the great guards Allen and Stein (don't forget Ted Wierman, Dennis Hogg, etc.). For WSU it was unfortunate that, in those years, UCLA was dominating the Pac-8 and the NCAA tournament year after year. So, WSU came in second even though they had great players. We, of course, had Lechman, Rocha, Brown, Thomas, McGinley, McNair (wonder what ever happened to Jho?), Quigg, Bresnahan, Rheaume, Hunt, Nicola, etc. Even had a great walk-on, John Dougherty, as I recall. Fun years. GU basketball wasn't well-known outside the NW prior to 1995 but it sure has its share of tradition and great stories.

Some great memories. Jho McNair and I roomed together when we traveled. He taught me alot about life. He was from Oakland, me from yakima. Two very different cities. Wierman and Allen were also from Yakima, and we played together all the time at the YMCA in the summers. We went to different schools. Ray Stein was kind of my idol when I was in HS. I think he was 2 years older than me. He went to Richland. One of my fav memories was when I stole the ball from him and scored on a lay-in. You forgot Billy Suter, Paz Rocha was one of my best friends. He and Doug Rheaume, who was from Ellensburg. I also really loved Bud Presley...Talk about intensity. Hank Anderson like a dad to me. Rich Juarez, also an assistant was from Wapato which is next door to Yakima. We also seldom flew back in those days, but the bus rides were really fun, and great memories. Do you remember when the fans had those wooden blocks to hit while cheering. I thought they were great.

ZagaZags
11-21-2013, 04:25 PM
Gonzaga now -16.5 vs WSU.

exclusivelee
11-21-2013, 04:33 PM
Expecting Gary to have the hot hand. He scored 14 points each time he played the Cougs, with a combined 5 of 10 from 3pt land and 8 of 16 overall from the field

Pangos had had it both ways against the Cougs, lighting it up from deep his first year (9 of 13 from 3pt land and 9 of 16 overall for 33 points), but then ice cold against the Cougs the 2nd year (1 of 7 from 3pt land and 2 of 12 overall for 8 points)

Zagger
11-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Well - almost got it (Z90 W75) and Drew helped out Kevin with the 3s. Good game! Go Zags! I liked the energy the team brought to the floor tonight. :D

Hoopaholic
11-21-2013, 07:07 PM
very nice win....some things to work on, but definitely a good solid win

kitzbuel
11-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Zags 90
Cougs - 72

Dower and Coleman go for 20 a piece. Team knocks down 12 three pointers

Not bad.

NumberCruncher
11-21-2013, 08:04 PM

Anyway,

Cougs - 74
Zags - 78

Well, 9 assists, 3 steals and no turnovers from our "backup D1 point guard". Please lose your bias, and root for the Zags that are actually performing.

Zags11
11-21-2013, 08:12 PM
Well, 9 assists, 3 steals and no turnovers from our "backup D1 point guard". Please lose your bias, and root for the Zags that are actually performing.

He had a solid game today. I was wrong as thought game would be close. Must been a dark dloud for work. Lol

Fancygolfpants
11-21-2013, 09:12 PM
I'd still like to see Karnowski -- as a Euro Big Mahn -- take some threes.

C'mon big guy!