PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Oakland...game predictions and what you'd like to see

Reborn
11-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Gonzaga 87
Oakland 63

It's been almost a week since our last game, and the players and fans are ready for one. Even though Oakland only lost to Cal by 4 pts last night I still believe GU will beat them by twenty.

I would like to see Coleman play more. I really like watching him play.
Would like to see PK continue to improve, especially on offense.
Would like to see Pangos play the point more and Stockton get a few less minutes there.
I think Dower needs to score in double figures.
Would like to see more zone. I thought Gonzaga looked real good in it.

I would like to continue to see the kind of cohesiveness and fluidity that the Zags had against Colorado St. I am also hoping to see Bell continue to play at a high level, scoring near 20 pts.

Marcus
11-16-2013, 11:01 AM
I want to see Pangos get back into a shooting rhythm, although I'm not worried about it for now.
I want to see a double double by Sam.
I want to see Improvement by Karno.
I want more of the same from Gray Bell Jr. because that was so fun to watch.

Oregonzagnut
11-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Gonzaga 103
Oakland 69

If I could have my druthers:

I want to see Karno go for a 20pt-10reb night.
I want to see Dower consistently maintain his play.
I'd like to see Pangos with 20pts 5 assists 5 rebs.
Everyone has 1-2 steals.
If Bell and Coleman do what they have done, we will dominate again.
Stockton, Barham, Dranginis could have 10pt/5 ast/5rb nights.
Hit 75% from the FT line and we will

We have not had a defensive struggle yet so until we have a close game, there is not much that looks like a problem. IMO, it is clear our backcourt is very good. And deep. But the 1-2 punch and power of the team rests on Karno and Dower. If our bigs can at least be consistent, Gonzaga will dominate especially when anyone on the bench can come out and score 15 on any given night.

IMO, start Dower and Karno, but whoever gets their 2nd foul comes out first. Then replaces the other and they back each other up. Then start the 2nd half with them.

Zagdawg
11-16-2013, 01:43 PM
A W with no injuries ---Pangos with a good night, Meikle get some more floor time and a solid game from Karnowski.

maynard g krebs
11-16-2013, 01:52 PM
I want to see Pangos start hitting, and see the Zags control penetration better.

Zags 93-72.

HillBillyZag
11-16-2013, 02:14 PM
I hope that everyone plays well and keeps their mind on the floor. I expect a Gonzaga win, but I watched Oakland outplay Cal.,at Cal., for 35 minutes out of 40, Friday nite. With the suspension of the two ALLEGED criminals?, Oakland played their hearts out against the "golden" bears and their new " burger boy' with just 8 kids while they had two starters in foul trouble.. We take them lightly at our own risk, their Coach hasn't been there 30 years without learning a little. They have some kids that can play, and have nothing to lose.

rennis
11-16-2013, 06:00 PM
Gonzaga by about 25 points. I'll say 90-65 final score.

I want to see Karno get it going.

DixieZag
11-16-2013, 06:14 PM
I am not worried about Pangos - at all. He will light up sooner than later.

Gary continue to feel confident.
Karno to continue to improve.
Coleman playing hard D (that is how he will break the line up)

I am nearly sure we will be able to outscore this team, I would really like the guys to start looking to smoother teams too.

Zags - 87
Oak - 66 But keep it within 12 until the final 10:00 minutes

bartruff1
11-16-2013, 08:20 PM
I hope that everyone plays well and keeps their mind on the floor. I expect a Gonzaga win, but I watched Oakland outplay Cal.,at Cal., for 35 minutes out of 40, Friday nite. With the suspension of the two ALLEGED criminals?, Oakland played their hearts out against the "golden" bears and their new " burger boy' with just 8 kids while they had two starters in foul trouble.. We take them lightly at our own risk, their Coach hasn't been there 30 years without learning a little. They have some kids that can play, and have nothing to lose.

I would like to see a win and no injuries. I think Gonzaga is favored by 19, but Oakland has 3 road loses to North Carolina, UCLA and Cal...sooo... they won't be scared and they have nothing to lose.

Gonzaga 90-65

LongIslandZagFan
11-16-2013, 08:26 PM
Oakland 183
Zags 40

Doomed.

Zagger
11-17-2013, 03:42 AM
No sloppy ball handling, shooting over 55% and lots of help on fast breaks. Go Zags!

stevet75
11-17-2013, 07:21 AM
Forget how close Oakland played California, we are going to win by 30+.

Reborn
11-17-2013, 08:09 AM
Game Day...Boom!!! I'm just really looking forward to seeing the Zags play. Seems like two weeks more than just one. I want to see what Few's doing with the team. We are in the beginning of the season, and its a time where Few is refining the roles the players will have on THIS team. That's one reason that this part of the season is exciting. There are new players and experienced players coming together to make this their team, and they are still learning to play together. I've now seen Duke, Kansas, MSU, and Kentucky play: so I'm getting an idea where we are at in comparison to these teams. I feel pretty good about how we match up with those teams. In fact I feel Gonzaga is pretty cohesive right now, and the experience of our guards shows. So far Coleman has the potential, imo, to become a star. I have to agree with what CDC said about Coleman and how CDC feels that he could do even better at GU because he's playing with better players. That was a good thought.

I also like that zone Few has been using, and I hope we see it again tonight. The zone has been used when Coleman is in, and he makes it work. He just covers so much ground in that zone, and his arms are so long, he is able to cover that corner shot. The zone can be very effective especially in the early part of the season against the teams who we'll be facing in Maui. I saw South Carolina play Balor last week and feel that the Zags have a very good chance to beat Baylor. Baylor is really missing the guards from their team last year. Good thing we're playing them early on in the season.

Right now I'm mostly interested in seeing the playing time the players are getting, and their roles. I am hoping Coleman gets more playing time.

DixieZag
11-17-2013, 08:27 AM
it is sort of strange - but what little zone we have played over the years, I have a whole lot of memories of it working pretty well. Mostly b/c I was so frustrated when we would switch away from it so quickly.

Always look forward to your gameday posts - Reborn. Should be a great night - GU BB on one channel and commercials change to Den/KC

RenoZag
11-17-2013, 08:54 AM
Zags 89
Other Guys 59

Hope to see more of Kevin's FG attempts go in the iron vs off the iron.
Continued excellence from Sam Dower.
Steady improvement from Karnasty.
GBJ: Keep shooting & Stay Healthy
Kyle: Dude, when you going to start pulling the trigger on the open looks ?

Have a great Sunday everybody.

DCZag
11-17-2013, 09:28 AM
No injuries, continued good FT shooting and limiting TOs.

We should take this by 25.

Worthington
11-17-2013, 09:53 AM
Gonzaga 96
Oakland 71

I'd really like to see Karnowski go for 15 and 10 with a few blocks. He's got the NBA buzz, he just needs to put his skills into action consistently.
Whether starting or not, I'd like see Coleman to get 25+ minutes and score around 15 points.
Pangos, Bell, and Dower all in double figures.
And Dranginis being aggressive, dominating when he's in the game with the rest of the bench, and finishing with a solid all around game of like 8-5-3

GonzaGAW
11-17-2013, 10:16 AM
zags 93, Oakland 60. gotta do 2 better than ucla.

would like to see coleman attempt a couple of outside shots
would like to see k.d. show continued aggressiveness
continued 50% better shooting, and 70% plus at the line

sittingon50
11-17-2013, 10:28 AM
I would like to see the Zags defend Travis Bader well. 6'5" guard, last year LED THE NATION with 139 MADE 3 pointers!! I'm guessing Gary gets the initial assignment, but he's giving up 4 inches.

MDABE80
11-17-2013, 12:15 PM
Keep an eye on Karno..........
I'd like to see how Coleman would do with Bader. Sometime we're going need to know about Coleman's defense as he's a 6 4 kid with length. Gary's a superior defender but..............he might be a bit shy on length to defend bigger guards. Maui is coming...I'd like to know how good/bad our defense is. If our frontcourt will be limited this season ( in rebounding and depth), general defense must be very good. I think this will be our 3rd "warm up" game. WSU looms and from there the competition picks up.

maynard g krebs
11-17-2013, 12:32 PM
I would like to see the Zags defend Travis Bader well. 6'5" guard, last year LED THE NATION with 139 MADE 3 pointers!! I'm guessing Gary gets the initial assignment, but he's giving up 4 inches.

Haws shot 8-27 against the Zags last year and averaged 10 pts. Gary defended him a fair portion of the time, and I think the majority of his 0-9, 1 point game. IMO a 3-4 inch difference matters a lot when the taller player plays in the post or is a very athletic take it to the basket guy like Coleman, who nobody will try to guard with a 6 footer.

Reborn
11-17-2013, 12:34 PM
Pretty much agree with you ABE, but I believe WSU is going to be a pretty big challenge for our boys. They always are it seems. I look at the WSU game as the first game where we get a stiff challenge. And that's good because we need to be challenged a little bit more before going to Maui.

Kiddwell
11-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Zags - 97
Oaks - 62

:]

Reborn
11-17-2013, 07:51 PM
I don't feel too bad about my prediction. I missed GU's score by 5 and Oaland's by 4. Our Ninja shooters were on fire again. I'm impressed with that so far. Nice to see Pangos shooting so well. Pangos had a very good game, as did Gary Bell. Those two are beginning to live up to their billing. I thought Dower had more than 5 rebounds. I felt Dranginis played pretty poorly, and although it's nice to see Few showing confidence in him; there is no way he should get more minutes than Coleman. I am beginning to get irritated by some of Few's decisions. Coleman get's 3 offensive rebounds, 4 total in like 14 minutes. To me, if there is someone who's playing like Mike Hart it's Coleman. I loved his pick of the point guard dribbling the ball up court, which resulted in a lay up for Coleman. Few is refusing to play him more...huge mistake imo. There is no comparison between Dranginis and Coleman. I've been patient with Dranginis, and I'm tired of yelling at the tv telling him to shoot the open shot. Tonight his rebounding was pretty bad too (only 1). Does anyone know what Few has against Coleman?

flytiezag
11-18-2013, 09:18 AM
I do not think Few has anything against Coleman. Oakland was playing zone hard for Coleman to drive to score.They had to cover Dranginis more.Dranginis had 5 assists 0 turnovers in 17 minutes also valuable both Kyle@Gerard bring different values to the team Few tries to use them wisely lets give him some credit we won a very ugly game.