PDA

View Full Version : Up vs. Down

75Zag
11-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Ranked #15, GU is well positioned again this year to take advantage of higher ranked teams losing and allowing GU to move up in the AP and UP polls. Our position at #15 may allow us to get to a #5 or better as teams ahead of us play each other and lose. My simple question is this: wouldn't it be better for GU to actually play some of the teams ranked ahead of us in the polls instead of waiting for them to lose and GU to advance in the polls by default?

I believe that playing teams ahead of you helps develop a more realistic picture of your likely success or failure in the NCAAs, but as many of you know, I am frequently wrong.

Go Bulldogs!

former1dog
11-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Schedules aren't written on the fly, so I'm not sure how you think this could be accomplished?

Zagdawg
11-12-2013, 03:15 PM
But inquiring minds want to know that the blind dogs think about the situation--and do they have any eligibility left?

75Zag
11-12-2013, 03:22 PM
Isn't Kansas playing Duke tonight?

If those two powerhouse teams are willing to play OOC, why can't GU play somebody in the top 14? My question is not intended to insult anybody, I just don't understand why GU is playing Colorado State while the big boys play each other?

Go Bulldogs!

GoZags
11-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Isn't Kansas playing Duke tonight?

If those two powerhouse teams are willing to play OOC, why can't GU play somebody in the top 14? My question is not intended to insult anybody, I just don't understand why GU is playing Colorado State while the big boys play each other?

Go Bulldogs!

As you have seen in threads during the offseason (and I know you saw the threads ... you participated in them) .... the Michigan State game .... which was THEIR request .... fell through VERY late in the game. The VERY high profile Battle in Seattle opponent couldn't make the date that was available (due to KeyArena saving most of their prime dates for potential NHL and NBA games) so there's a "less than stellar" B i S opponent this year ... but the "Blueblood" that couldn't do THIS year is still on the hook for the Battle in Seattle in the very near future.

If things go well in a couple of week the Zags will play Baylor and Syracuse.

Are they high profile enough?

MississppiZag
11-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Memphis is in the top 15. Syracuse, a possible Maui opponent, is too.

GoZags
11-12-2013, 03:53 PM
I think us getting to #5 is very premature. Let's just hope by the end of December we're still in the top 25

This.

75Zag
11-12-2013, 04:06 PM
I understand the limitations on schedule and I look forward to watching GU in Maui, but I want GU to be scheduled - in advance - to play at least two OOC games against Marquette, Syracuse, Ohio State, Wichita State, Florida, Michigan, Louisville, Duke, Kansas, etc. My point is that if GU is truly worth a #1 ranking in the polls, we should prove it on the court, and not claim it as the "last team standing" in the AP or UP poll.

And - Go Zags - based on your prior comments, I do look forward to a fantastic BIS opponent in the future. I watched KY play University of Portland at the Rose Garden a couple of years ago, and am anxious to see GU have the same or a similar opportunity.

Go Bulldogs!

Reborn
11-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Gonzaga will play Syracuse and Memphis, two teams ranked ahead of us. They most likely will play Baylor a top #25 team. I also think BYU will be a top 25 team and St Mary's a top 35 team. It's a good schedule...imo.

Zagdawg
11-12-2013, 04:26 PM
So you would say you are entitled to these opponents or they are just owed to you.

Drinking and posting is so COOL!!!!

Tacos anyone.

bigblahla
11-12-2013, 04:42 PM
I understand the limitations on schedule and I look forward to watching GU in Maui, but I want GU to be scheduled - in advance - to play at least two OOC games against Marquette, Syracuse, Ohio State, Wichita State, Florida, Michigan, Louisville, Duke, Kansas, etc. My point is that if GU is truly worth a #1 ranking in the polls, we should prove it on the court, and not claim it as the "last team standing" in the AP or UP poll.

It's a poll, that's how polls work. Whether you think GU deserved to be #1 is irrelevant the voting poll members did.

We did prove it on the court by not losing before the last regular season poll.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

GoZags
11-12-2013, 04:50 PM

And - Go Zags - based on your prior comments, I do look forward to a fantastic BIS opponent in the future. I watched KY play University of Portland at the Rose Garden a couple of years ago, and am anxious to see GU have the same or a similar opportunity.

Go Bulldogs!

My preference would be to have the Zags "the last man standing" at the end of the dance ..... not in any arbitrary poll rating system.

My belief is that Mark Few has orchestrated this season's schedule .... to the best of his ability .... to position the Zags towards that endeavor.

As Tommy mentioned in his Seattle and Spokane talks .... the OOC schedule wasn't created to satisfy idle desires of the fanbase. It was created to help this team gel. I'm hopeful that they're successful.

cjm720
11-12-2013, 05:45 PM
We can't control other teams and how the voters vote. We have some control over the schedule but that's usually firmed up a year or more in advance. We are doing everything right but happen to be in the rpi downer of the WCC. But yea, it would be nice to be more tested but I'd rather see it in February or march before the tourney.

maynard g krebs
11-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Sometimes coaches believe that their roster requires games that allow them to gel and gain confidence. Bad losses early by a team that is replacing big losses can be damaging to a team's collective psyche. Oregon, for example, played a light nonconf sched last yr as they had a lot of roster turnover and Altman said they needed "developmental" games. They were pretty darn good by the end of the year when they won the Pac tourney and blew out St Louis and Ok St in the NCAA's.