PDA

View Full Version : Ever wonder why Harry Truman....

jhoop
02-14-2007, 06:45 AM
about 60 years ago called the Spokesman Review the second worst newspaper in United States? The following is on the front page of Section B and is about as newsworthy as a drunk sleeping in Riverfront Park. But it gives the local rag an opportunity to reprint the entire arrest scenario for the Zag haters to absorb because they aren't imaginative enough to go out and find real news. You'd think that the Titanic had just sunk out in front of the Ad building on Boone Avenue. But it's pretty hard to fight people who buy their ink by the barrell.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

GU players' release investigated
Jail commander says pair left via restricted area
Thomas Clouse
Staff writer
February 14, 2007

The commander of the Spokane County Jail said he is investigating why his staff gave preferential treatment to two Gonzaga University basketball players Saturday by allowing them to be picked up from an area normally restricted to law enforcement.

Jail Commander Jerry Brady said a jail sergeant apparently approved a request allowing attorney Dennis Thompson to drive into the area under the Public Safety Building, called the sally port, so that GU players Josh Heytvelt and Theo Davis could avoid media exposure during their release following drug possession charges.

"In the future, anyone who wants to get special dispensation would have to get approval from a lieutenant or myself," Brady said. "Just because you are a basketball player is not a special circumstance."

Heytvelt and Davis were arrested Friday night in Cheney after a Cheney police officer stopped Heytvelt's Chevy TrailBlazer for not having working taillights, according to court records released Tuesday that provide new details about the arrest.

As the Cheney officer spoke with Heytvelt, two Eastern Washington University police officers arrived. One of those officers walked to the rear of Heytvelt's vehicle and saw a bag of what appeared to be mushrooms in the rear cargo area of the SUV, according to court records released Tuesday.

One of the EWU officers then spoke with the passenger, later identified as Davis, and said in court records that he could "smell the strong odor of burnt marijuana coming from" the passenger.

Both Heytvelt and Davis were asked to exit the vehicle and were placed under arrest. Officers then searched Davis and found a burnt marijuana cigarette in the upper left coat pocket, records state.

Davis then told the officer that he had been at a party earlier in the evening in which he had "taken a hit off of a bong," according to court records.

The bag of mushrooms was protruding out of a black "Basketball Hall of Fame Challenge" backpack, which was sitting next to a 2006 "Battle in Seattle Gonzaga University" backpack, records state. That bag had Heytvelt's name and jersey number embroidered on the front.

When officers searched the "Battle in Seattle" backpack, they found three foil-wrapped "brownie muffins that contained hallucinogenic mushrooms," according to court records.

Both Heytvelt and Davis were charged with felony possession of a controlled substance.

However, lab tests to determine whether the mushrooms are in fact psychedelic mushrooms won't be completed until next week.

Heytvelt, 20, and Davis, 21, were released Saturday after court Commissioner James Triplet reviewed the police report. The university has indefinitely suspended both players from the team.

Thompson, the attorney who drove the BMW into the sally port, did not return phone calls placed to his office on Monday and Tuesday.

Thompson is the son of former Judge Philip Thompson, who worked as Gonzaga's corporate counsel after his retirement in 1997 from the Court of Appeals.

Brady said the sally port, which is located in the basement of the Public Safety Building, is a restricted area used by law enforcement to drop off prisoners at the jail. It has steel doors that close after squad cars enter to prevent anyone from approaching officers and inmates from escaping, Brady said.

Brady held a meeting with his staff Tuesday and learned that the county has in the past made special exceptions for vehicles to enter the sally port. But none of those arrangements has occurred in the two years Brady has been jail commander.

Had the attorney asked him, Brady said, he would have not allowed the civilian car into the sally port.

"We have made exceptions for people to do it in the past, but it was for different kinds of circumstances," Brady said.

Bulldoggie
02-14-2007, 11:33 AM
I too was puzzled by this article, not so much that the Spokesman printed what they did but why the Spokane Sherrif's Dept. (they run the jail) is stirring the ###. I guess this Brady guy's comments was news but the Spokesman's need to regurgitate the whole arrest senario was a little overboard. But then when we consider that the Spokesman is an affiliate of KHQ, which owns the rights to Gonzaga's game telecasts it makes sense that they want to keep this a hot topic.

zagfever86
02-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Truman must have never read the Oregonian.

EngineerZag
02-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Why does this board asterisk out the word p o t?

sullyzag66
02-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Dan Patrick weighed in today by reviewing the news and said something like, "Well, I guess they're not a mid-major anymore. They've made the big time." Heck of a way to shed the mid-major label.

sullyzag66
02-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Why does this board asterisk out the word p o t?

Is it the board or did some wag start this and others have continued the joke?

treehorn
02-14-2007, 12:33 PM
The SR staff is upset that they didn't get the chance to photograph the players coming out the front door of the jail after spending a night in lockup. So they run a story intended to embarass the Sheriff for the supposed "preferential treatment" shown in letting a lawyer pick them up in a parking garage. It helps to ensure that the next prominent arrestee (a runner-up on "Starlit Stairway" perhaps) will be made to endure the public humiliation of what Tom Wolfe dubbed the "perp walk."

Something similarly petty happened at the GU press conference Saturday. One of the ink-stained wretches from the SR expressed annoyance that Andy Katz had posted the news of the suspension on the ESPN website before the public announcement by Coach Few.

dawgncarolina
02-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Is it the board or did some wag start this and others have continued the joke?It's definitely the board.

kitzbuel
02-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Is it the board or did some wag start this and others have continued the joke?

Please see http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=442&page=2#29

sullyzag66
02-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Okay, then. I just thought it didn't make sense when it was part of an innocuous word, such as, "###ential". But, sure enough. . .

beatProgram
02-14-2007, 01:50 PM
The Spokesman Review and KHQ have always been an outlet for the whims, desires, and ground axes of the Cowles family.

It's a rag, and I hope to high heaven EVERYBODY knows that by now.

lothar98zag
02-14-2007, 01:55 PM

tyra
02-14-2007, 02:19 PM
I focused on the following line from the article:

"However, lab tests to determine whether the mushrooms are in fact psychedelic mushrooms won't be completed until next week."

While I think too much is being written about this story right now (on this board), I cannot help but ask if this is the first time the above line has appeared. Is it? It is a good reminder that we need to all be patient and allow this really bad situation play itself out a little.

ZagPants
02-14-2007, 02:35 PM
I focused on the following line from the article:

"However, lab tests to determine whether the mushrooms are in fact psychedelic mushrooms won't be completed until next week."

While I think too much is being written about this story right now (on this board), I cannot help but ask if this is the first time the above line has appeared. Is it? It is a good reminder that we need to all be patient and allow this really bad situation play itself out a little.

The special ingredient for my "brownie muffins" is always s.h.i.t.ake mushrooms. Yep, never the funny kind.

Schmitty
02-14-2007, 03:20 PM
99% of what's wrong with Spokane can be directly traced back to the Cowles, and the remaining 1% is the responsibility of the rest of us who put up with it generation after generation.[/QUOTE]

Jack###!

Argentum
02-14-2007, 03:51 PM
I thought that article was pretty ridiculous when I read it this morning. I wonder if that was the place that Q6 showed Heytvelt and a driver (his Dad?) driving out of on Saturday. I thought it was kind of odd that the driver looked right at the camera and gave an awkward wave.

UberZagFan
02-14-2007, 05:04 PM
Considering the paper sponsors this board, is it possible we may see threads of this nature just disappear?

jhoop
02-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Considering the paper sponsors this board, is it possible we may see threads of this nature just disappear?

Yes, they can disappear Uber, and I think I'll disappear with them. I'm sure that will make a lot of people happy. I'll be damned if I'll ever cowtow to a billionaire family just becasue they own the paper that sponsors this board.

Bocco
02-14-2007, 08:48 PM
On the Dennis Patchin show today they were talking about Wednesday being the day the media could talk to the players, except today the media could not talk to the players. It seems like some media organization has been poking around on capmpus and in the dorms trying to get to the players, or perhaps info from other students about the players. Anyway only one local organization comes to mind .... The Spokesman-Review, since the current editor came on board it has been rapidly sinking to the sleazy level of the National Inquirer

roxdoc
02-14-2007, 11:24 PM
We can probably rest a little easy since the editor in question seems to only really get excited about g. a. y.### or sexual transgressions. Of course GU is Catholic and that gets him pretty agitated too.:mad: