PDA

View Full Version : Expanded MVC....

Butler Guy
08-23-2007, 08:40 AM
I wrote the following on Rivals (http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=2194&tid=99136861&mid=99136861&sid=1146&style=2), but the Big Ten and ACC fans didn't really feel like commenting. (I wonder why :) )

I thought I'd post here, in "General Basketball"

---------------------------------------------------------

When Rick Majerus took the job at St. Louis there was speculation that a part of the agreement was for St. Louis to move from the Atlantic 10 to the Missouri Valley, when it becomes possible. The issue with such a move is the obvious need for an additional team to be added to the MVC as well, to balance the league again.

About a month ago, Collegehoopsnet.com wrote a story about the possible demise of the Summit League (formerly the Mid-Con). The writer of the article believed that if the Summit League were to break up some of the parts would be assimilated into other conferences, he specifically mentioned Oakland, IUPUI, and IUFW to the Horizon League.

I am only speculating, but I would imagine that if the Horizon League were to add RPI-killers like these to go alongside the Youngstown State, Cleveland State, and Detroit, that Butler would want out.

Voila! The missing expanded MVC piece. Below is how I imagine the new league would be situated:

MVC - West
-Creighton
-Drake
-Missouri State
-Northern Iowa
-Wichita State
-St Louis

MVC - East
-Bradley
-Evansville
-Illinois State
-Indiana State
-Southern Illinois
-Butler

Consider this, with Butler and a re-energized, Majerus-lead Billiken team what conference rank would the MVC be on a "normal" year?

Angelo Roncalli
08-23-2007, 09:10 AM
Reconfigured that way, the MVC would clearly be the best non-BCS conference in the country, and would in all likelihood challenge the Big 12 and the MWC for placement in the end-of-the-season RPI. Likely 5-6-7 RPI rankings on a consistent basis.

CDC84
08-23-2007, 09:29 AM
I believe that if the A-10 got rid of its bottom feeder teams, they would become just about as good as the MVC is right now. Programs like Xavier recruit at a higher level than any MVC school. There isn't an A-10 charter to get rid of teams that routinely underperform, so they are attempting to do things scheduling wise to force programs like La Salle and Richmond to get their act in gear. The A-10 would be regularly putting 3-4 teams into the tournament if they didn't have a slew of teams with 200+ RPI's that bring the conference's power rating down.

Personally, I think SLU is better off in the A-10 if the league can bring the bottom feeders up or find a way to get rid of them. But that's a big IF.....

More on this:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=209439

Butler Guy
08-23-2007, 02:49 PM
both Southern Illinois and Butler have recruited at Xavier's level (or better) for the last handful of years, that trend will undoubtedly continue going forward.

Side Note: Xavier used to be in the Horizon League, then named the MCC.

CDC84
08-23-2007, 03:31 PM
I have to admit you're right that the gap has certainly narrowed between Butler/SIU and Xavier since Thad Matta left for OSU. But when Thad was there, they were regularly landing top 100 in state prospects. Xavier's recruiting was also aided by OSU's program being so up and down under the previous regime. The combination of Thad leaving and OSU asserting their dominance has effected Xavier quite a bit.......

Let me tell you....I don't envy Chris Lowry at SIU. I don't know how it is in Indiana with Butler, but Lowry has to compete with so many programs to land good players. You just can't hide anyone in Illinois (especially around Chicago). He must have to work so hard in recruiting. This is the area where Gonzaga was so fortunate. There are very few D-1 programs in the Pacific NW area competing for talent, yet there is no shortage of talent in the area. It amazes me that SIU has maintained such a consistent level of success given the obstacles.

bigjeep
08-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Butler Guy, is this wishful thinking or is Butler considering leaving Horizon for the MVC? We`ve heard rumors for the past few yrs that WKU is conference seeking and the 3 that pop up the most are the MVC, CUSA and the MAC, my choice. We`er stuck in the Sun Belt for now but since we just joined the 1A club in football I think something is a foot in the next few yrs...thanks...