PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Thread

Zagdawg
11-11-2013, 08:14 PM
What did you like and where do we have room for improvement?

One thing I noticed--they had a game plan for our bigs--anytime we went inside--they collapsed quickly. Thank goodness we were hitting the 3's. Gary was the man!

Their bigs/guys got into Karnowskis head --- some of the off ball stuff (like their #3 was doing a lot of bodying on Karnowski)--some talking going on and you could tell Big K was getting a bit flustered. This is something he will need to deal with -- needs to become Batista-like mentally--block them out.

Big K hitting 4-5 from the ft line was great.

Coleman was the man --he had some finishes where the defender set up and was wondering "how did he get around me".

Really liked the way Meikle played--great energy --- solid rebounder in limited minutes.

David did fine when Kevin got into foul trouble.

So many weapons.

GoZags

willandi
11-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Agree with your observations. I do think that if they zebras are going to call touch fouls on the outside, they should reward Shem when he gets pantsed and a wedgie all on the same play. Saw several times that he was mugged with no call. Glad to see his FT's made and rebounding.
I don't think that there is a way to take one part of the Zags game away without paying for it, as long as the players are on. There will be games where our outside shots aren't falling and the inside is collapsed. I think that is when Coleman will bail us out, especially if they call the blocking calls as they have been. In fact all our outside shooters seem to be able to put it down and drive. If they get the right calls, the Zags should be able to control tempo and flow against a huge variety of teams.

CDC84
11-11-2013, 08:45 PM
High low passing with the bigs needs to get better. Karno had a rep for being an elite passer coming out of Europe. I'm not seeing it.

Help side defense needs to get better.

Guards need to feed the post better, and the bigs need to do a better job getting position. The Zags are not going to hit 14 threes every night.

I love Sam's aggressiveness on the glass, but I want to see it against better opposition when he's forced to be physical.

Pangos is shooting 14% from 3 point land so far. He went 3/8 tonight, but he needs to do that every night. I'm still looking for consistency from him. He's still too hot and cold.

The Zags really need Ryan Edwards. He needs lots of minutes before Maui. Hopefully he's ready for Sunday's game.

cggonzaga
11-11-2013, 10:06 PM
While I agree help side D needs to get better you can tell there has been a lot of work done to get up on the 3 point line. I'll give up contested layups all day of it means teams stop smoking us from the 3 point line.

You can see the confidence starting to build in Dranginis. This would be huge going forward. Coleman is damn near unstoppable going to the basket. He's only going to get better as the year goes on.

Fun night but I'm worried for Maui considering we don't play an away game before then. 2 more solid opponents ahead before the tournament though. Would be great to win both.

GonzaGAW
11-11-2013, 10:29 PM
- kudos to karnowski on working on his free throws, I think he has avoided the hack a shaq defense we all worried about last year. but now he has to man up and put a clamp on his rebounds. too many seem to get slapped away or slip thru his fingers. start squeezing that tennis ball big man! (I agree with cdc84, he was mugged repeatedly tonight with no help from the officials).
- next take away from this game is how difficult it seems to feed the post. karnowski got the ball only one time in the set offense for his little 5 foot left hook in the lane. he is going to make that shot 80% of the time. its money, we got to get it to him and dower jr.
- until karnowski shows us he really does have good passing skills, i'd like to see him handling the ball less out top and certainly not trying to feed the post. feed the guards on double teams. he is leading the team with turnovers!
- last of all, i'm liking Stockton starting, he has a great feel for feeding dower jr. the ball. it allows coleman to be first off the bench, and he can come in for any one of the starting guards. brings to the floor potential for instant offense, much like dower jr. last year. in my opinion this is better for the team, than having coleman start and Stockton being the first guard to rotate in at the first substitution.

Reborn
11-11-2013, 10:52 PM
That was one pretty game, folks. I love it when the Zags shoot like that from behind the arc. And Dower and PK both rebounded very well. Sam is really hitting those boards so far. Their Defense is coming along nice. I'm very satisfied. They are not making too many stupid fouls. And the passing, outside of PK is simply awesome for this time of year. We have a very good back court. Coleman is something else, imo. I love watching him play. He's so good on defense. His arms, im sure almost touch the floor. Did you see him in that zone defense. My God that guy can cover half the court himself. With him on that wing I would have to say that that was the best zone defense I have ever seen Gonzaga play. Coleman, Dower, Dranginis, Bell and Stocks were in. I was impressed with this five, and how well they played when Pangos was on the bench. Stockton played great tonight. In every area. No one can complain about his game. I'm happily surprised at his improvement, but let's see how he plays in Maui. But I've got to tell you he looks good right now, and the team looked good with him in there. Dranginis did look confident and played confidently as well. Nice stroke.

I was curious about how the Zags would look against a well coached team. The team lacked experience and it showed, but we must admit Gonzaga looked pretty good. I really like how our schedule is laid out this year. The WCC is going to be tougher this year, so having a little easier OCC is going to balance out. Unfortunately I must say that PK is further behind that I thought he was. He looks worse then last year to me. His passing is terrible, rebounding was good but this was a small team. His hands are only so so. And his footwork on defense is terrible. He really is bad on D. I don't think that we are at our best when He's on the court. At least not now.

I'm going to bed with a smile on my face. Good job Zags.

Go Zags!!!

Birddog
11-12-2013, 02:53 AM
Coleman is simply amazing. When he goes up toward the iron he unfolds like a Swiss Army knife. You don't know whether it'll be the spoon, the can opener, the straight blade or the scissors that will do the damage.

Goshzagit
11-12-2013, 03:01 AM
Coleman is simply amazing. When he goes up toward the iron he unfolds like a Swiss Army knife. You don't know whether it'll be the spoon, the can opener, the straight blade or the scissors that will do the damage.

:lmao:

That's a signature-worthy quote right there. I may have to recycle that one, Birddog.

Priceless.

zagfan24
11-12-2013, 03:30 AM
- First game I got to watch (missed the exhibition and season opener), one of the biggest surprises for me was how controlled Coleman is around the rim. A lot of guys can get to the bucket but not many keep their body so well controlled and can put up a soft shot.

- While this wasn't necessarily high level competition, love seeing Stockton shoot and drive a bit more. If he's going to start he needs to be a threat to do more than just feed the post (which he is excellent at), and he seems to have more confidence in that area.

- Dower played aggressively and smart. The fact that he hauled in 9 boards with 0 fouls is great and will need to be a constant...simply can't afford to not have him available.

- Meikle and Dranginis both rebounded well in their limited minutes, and the similarities between Hart and Griffin are eerie. I like the fact that we can bring a group off the bench which will hustle and be disruptive.

- Zags need to cut down on the sloppy passes, which isn't uncommon early in the season but needs to get better quickly.

- Most of all, love GBJ having a big shooting game. While the Zags won't always shoot this well from deep, it's nice to see Gary in particular back in action and unfortunately led to some "what if" thoughts about the Wichita St game for me...

jazzdelmar
11-12-2013, 04:11 AM
pretty easy to see bell and coleman are uber talented athletes on both ends. even with some inconsistency they will be terrific and fun to watch all year. pangos is still not quite there yet, especially on offense; moving him off the point seems to have jarred him a bit. in this level of comp, stocks is an asset. we will see how he fares agst the bcs teams and better wcc's.

dower is a revelation thus far; let's hope it's permanent. karno does not appear to have improved at all, though he is clearly trimmer and quicker (relative terms). the notion of the nba next year is laughable.

biggest letdown for me so far are barham and drang, neither of whom look very comfortable in this offense. they look slow and unsure. but meikle really showed me something, and if edwards is better then we have some depth i wasn't expecting.

MickMick
11-12-2013, 04:34 AM
Rain the threes!

I like it :)

basketballzag
11-12-2013, 05:58 AM
My takeaways from this game:
+Karno has a long ways to go right now before he can be deemed reliable and consistent. He appears to be turnover prone once he is pressured and his footwork needs attention. The good news is that Karno will be back next year.

+I said early on last year that Kelly was headed to the NBA well I'll make the same prediction for Sam Dower right now. Dower will be on a NBA roster in 2014-2015. His transformation is phenomenal and to think he is only going to get better. I predict that he will have at least 15 double doubles this year.

+Gonzaga needs Edwards and Nunez in the worst way to open up the floor as the season continues. Double Dower and a foul plagued Karno screams trouble if we don't hit our 3's.

+Kyle looked much more comfortable and has improved.

+It takes at least 2 guys who will make an NBA team to get past the Sweet 16 and I see at least 2 potential NBA ready players on GU's squad right now but the season is still very early.

jazzdelmar
11-12-2013, 06:17 AM
+It takes at least 2 guys who will make an NBA team to get past the Sweet 16 and I see at least 2 potential NBA ready players on GU's squad right now but the season is still very early.

Who else?

gozagswoohoo
11-12-2013, 06:27 AM
Just wanted to add one thing. I REALLY liked what I saw from Meikle!! He was not scared, and did not back down. Many times, you'll see a freshman/newbie look like a deer in head lights when they get out there. But he was very agressive, loved it.

In 2-3 years, he will be a FORCE under the basket, at least (and especially) defensively. I LOVE a long-armed shot blocker!

gozagswoohoo
11-12-2013, 06:27 AM

Love this!

VinnyZag
11-12-2013, 06:50 AM
biggest letdown for me so far are barham and drang, neither of whom look very comfortable in this offense. they look slow and unsure. but meikle really showed me something, and if edwards is better then we have some depth i wasn't expecting.

Could be the position change. Both are playing in spots they probably haven't played in many years.

jazzdelmar
11-12-2013, 07:13 AM
Could be the position change. Both are playing in spots they probably haven't played in many years.

maybe but more likely with kp, stocks bell and coleman pushing it and even dower faster this offense is quite a bit speeded up vs last year....

Zagdawg
11-12-2013, 08:50 AM
Slipper Still Fits Article-- good stuff in the interviews

I liked where Coleman gave credit to Few -- "offensive mastermind" is what he called him.

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2013/11/12/5095666/gonzaga-vs-colorado-state-post-game-highlights-interviews-and-stats

former1dog
11-12-2013, 09:04 AM
Some thoughts about Karno...

First, no need to panic. Against Bryant he needed to rebound and not get into foul trouble. He addressed both issues against CSU. He's not awful and I think he'll be fine once he readjusts to "American" basketball.

Which leads me to my point, I think he needs to skip the European summer if at all possible. It doesn't seem to help and the alternative, staying in Spokane and working on the game, does seem to help.

Exhibit A would be Elias Harris, who as I recall skipped the German team after his sophomore season(slump) and was better for it as a junior.

CDC84
11-12-2013, 09:12 AM
The next evolution in Gerard Coleman's game will be finding open shooters when he attacks the rim and the defense collapses on him. As we saw last night, the Zags have a ton of shooters.

Pick your poison.

He brings a new dimension to this offense. Few has never really had a player quite like him.

rennis
11-12-2013, 09:30 AM
I think last night's game was a preview of the style of play we are going to see all year. It's going to be an up-tempo, guard oriented, live and die by the jump shot kind of year. Zags are going to win a lot of games with the system, but I am worried about road games where shots don't go down for Pangos and Bell. After seeing BYU's offensive play last night, I think it's going to be a dogfight at the top of the league this year.

Dower and Coleman will be the go-to weapons in close games in hostile road or neutral environments...or at least the guys that can put the team on their back when Gary and Kevin are being chased off their shots.

jim77
11-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Great TEAM effort. Even if the 3's weren't dropping the Zags were gonna win it anyway. The Zags play hard and continuously got to loose balls first. I like that our guards are continually looking inside to Karno and Dower because that threat is whats gonna keep teams honest. Speaking of Karno...he got his hands on lots of balls by being in good position. He also is looking to dunk everytime he gets close.....he also hustled for significant minutes showing his conditioning is much better. If you go back and watch the game the other team really didn't know what to do with him...he simply takes up so much space that he screws the other guys game up.....he casts a big shadow......REALLY big. Good game for him. I was also very impressed with our backups....Meikle especially...but him and Conner move well.....Barham showed nice leadership out there towards the end.

This team might have lost 2 GREAT players but, somebody forgot to tell them cause they have picked up the slack with tough hard-nosed play...keep screening..... keep passing......keep playing smart....GO ZAGS!

The new rules really favor teams like GU...and WCC teams in general......and what a start it has been for the conference...both BYU and St. Mary's looked great.

SWZag
11-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Pretty cool tweet and photo.

https://twitter.com/SeanTWidmer/status/400122211115073536/photo/1

SWZag

Mantua
11-13-2013, 10:56 AM
The next evolution in Gerard Coleman's game will be finding open shooters when he attacks the rim and the defense collapses on him. As we saw last night, the Zags have a ton of shooters.

Pick your poison.

He brings a new dimension to this offense. Few has never really had a player quite like him.

Coleman's presence is key for the small lineup to succeed. Their defense might not matter as much if they keep scoring. Can you imagine how we would feel about the Zags defending a similar perimeter threat with a slasher like Coleman and a big man like Dower?

Hoopaholic
11-13-2013, 11:47 AM
He did just that in the CSU game...drove baseline toward rim hitting the open shooter in opposite corner.......

Robzagnut
11-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Just wanted to add one thing. I REALLY liked what I saw from Meikle!! He was not scared, and did not back down. Many times, you'll see a freshman/newbie look like a deer in head lights when they get out there. But he was very agressive, loved it.

In 2-3 years, he will be a FORCE under the basket, at least (and especially) defensively. I LOVE a long-armed shot blocker!

I agree! I saw agressiveness and he tipped or got his hands on a lot of balls. With that hair, his slighter frame and the way he kept balls in play, it made me FLASHBACK to a former Zag...

Mark Spink

GoZags
11-14-2013, 09:28 AM
I agree! I saw agressiveness and he tipped or got his hands on a lot of balls. With that hair, his slighter frame and the way he kept balls in play, it made me FLASHBACK to a former Zag...

Mark Spink

Great call.