PDA

View Full Version : Edwards as a redshirt?

ZAGLAWQB
11-05-2013, 08:45 PM
Where's the balance in evaluating what's best academically and athletically for the player vs. the team's immediate needs?

Zag365
11-05-2013, 08:52 PM
What prompted this question? and tying it to RE?

ZagaZags
11-05-2013, 08:57 PM
It is the players decision on taking a redshirt. The team can't make someone redshirt. They can advise them on the redshirt but can't make them.

zag buddy
11-05-2013, 09:21 PM
from what I've seen of Edwards, he's ready to play

ZagaZags
11-05-2013, 09:25 PM
+1

P.S Isaiah Bailey committed to Fresno State tonight. They got a good player with Bailey.

MDABE80
11-05-2013, 11:52 PM
Where's the balance in evaluating what's best academically and athletically for the player vs. the team's immediate needs?

It's with the player , his family and the coaches appraisal of the season. It's a balance...........but always with the player's best interests in mind.

willandi
11-06-2013, 05:22 AM
Sometimes the team needs a player to NOT take a redshirt. Such was the case with Will Foster...everyones candidate for a redshirt, but injuries to Heytfeld, Sacre etc., precluded that. He was the safety net at the end of the bench.

Birddog
11-06-2013, 05:46 AM
Edwards appears to me to be more skilled than Sacre was in his 1st year. JMO. He will turn out to be more than just a serviceable backup this year IMO.

Oregonzagnut
11-06-2013, 05:47 AM
Sometimes the team needs a player to NOT take a redshirt. Such was the case with Will Foster...everyones candidate for a redshirt, but injuries to Heytfeld, Sacre etc., precluded that. He was the safety net at the end of the bench.

IMO, this year would be the year for Edwards to NOT take a redshirt. He can hold his own and he can play. He will only get better and we really really need a back-up for Karno. We already are forced to go small if Dower or Karno get into foul trouble.

VinnyZag
11-06-2013, 06:38 AM

Interesting question, though, about whether academics are a factor in the decision. I'd never considered it.

My guess would be that academics are typically not part of the decision, but then I'm a cynic.

zag944
11-06-2013, 09:11 AM
Well, a player is getting 4 years if they don't redshirt and play a whole college career. I also doubt academics factor in much, which isn't to say it isn't a priority for the player. I just think that it is pretty well taken care of whichever route a player takes. Some of our guys like Mike Hart and Sean Mallon have really taken advantage of that fifth year though if I recall correctly.

My assumption has always been that in most cases the decision to redshirt is almost entirely based on minutes a player perceives he will get/earn. I'm sure there are other factors that weigh in of course, but I'm sure those are generally small and I think that minutes is the primary one in almost every case. Players want to play.

cjm720
11-06-2013, 09:25 AM
We need him desperately. I can't imagine he'll RS.

007Zag
11-06-2013, 12:46 PM
He played in the exhibition game (so did Meikle, for that matter). Doesn't that mean he can't redshirt?

ZagaZags
11-06-2013, 01:08 PM
He played in the exhibition game (so did Meikle, for that matter). Doesn't that mean he can't redshirt?

They are freshman and can play in exhibition games and still redshirt.

DixieZag
11-06-2013, 01:23 PM
I'm confused. What brought this on?

Has there been an announcement? If not, I think the plan is that he plays.

Angelo Roncalli
11-06-2013, 01:37 PM
I'm confused. What brought this on?

Has there been an announcement? If not, I think the plan is that he plays.

He's not going to redshirt.

ZagaZags
11-06-2013, 02:49 PM
GU found a gem with landing Ryan Edwards.

ZagnetitForce
11-06-2013, 03:20 PM
GU found a gem with landing Ryan Edwards.

Agreed!!!!!!

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-06-2013, 04:36 PM
from what I've seen of Edwards, he's ready to play

I would agree with that. He could certainly benefit from a year of conditioning before taking the floor, but I don't think this team has enough depth to wait for him. He is good enough to play quality minutes as a backup center and we really don't have anybody else that can do it. I don't think the staff can afford to wait for him.