PDA

View Full Version : Talking Heads -- ESPN Games

77Zag
11-05-2013, 07:17 AM
Interesting assignments if I'm reading it correctly --

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2013/11/the-what-who-where-when-why-of-espns-2013-14-mens-college-basketball-commentator-assignments/

Thursdays -
ESPNU West Coast Roxy Bernstein & Jarron Collins/Corey Williams

Saturdays -
ESPN2 West Coast Beth Mowins & Kara Lawson

Go Zags!!

LongIslandZagFan
11-05-2013, 07:45 AM
Interesting assignments if I'm reading it correctly --

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2013/11/the-what-who-where-when-why-of-espns-2013-14-mens-college-basketball-commentator-assignments/

Thursdays -
ESPNU West Coast Roxy Bernstein & Jarron Collins/Corey Williams

Saturdays -
ESPN2 West Coast Beth Mowins & Kara Lawson

Go Zags!!

Might be mistaken... Is Roxy anti-Zag? Know there is a floater out there that always trashed on the zags when he had those games.

CDC84
11-05-2013, 07:46 AM
No more Stephen Bardo, who, along with Fran, may have been the best analyst that ESPN had. Shame on ESPN.

And yes, another year with the unbearable Bill Walton.

Baldwinzag
11-05-2013, 08:00 AM
No more Stephen Bardo, who, along with Fran, may have been the best analyst that ESPN had. Shame on ESPN.

And yes, another year with the unbearable Bill Walton.

Agree with all.

That said, I do enjoy Beth Mowins analysis on The Deuce, she does her homework and it shows.

Have no idea who Kara Lawson is, yet looks like she'll be calling our games as well. I believe a former basketball player herself.

Might be mistaken... Is Roxy anti-Zag? Know there is a floater out there that always trashed on the zags when he had those games.

Yes, Roxy Bernstein loathes the Zags and uses any chance he has to knock us down a peg while calling games (although not many before). There is no doubting he is knowledgeable on the WCC, Pac-12, and West Coast Sports, yet for whatever reason, continually takes p o t shots at us...

I'm thinking this could have something to do with it --

A direct excerpt from Roxy's bio:

[Roxy] formerly hosted noon to 3pm on Xtra Sports 860 (KTRB) in San Francisco with J.J. Stokes and Geoff Sheen, and hosted The Randy Bennett Radio Show, a weekly broadcast which features St. Mary's College of California men's basketball coach Randy Bennett.

Just grrrrreeaaaaatttt....a SMC homer calling our nationally broadcast WCC games all year long.

sittingon50
11-05-2013, 09:14 AM
I beleive Kara has been doing the studio work for the NCAA Women's games for years, IIRC.

Very bright.

kyle dixon
11-05-2013, 09:36 AM
I know what I will do. I will just mute the ESPN announcer on the telly and turn up Huddy. One of the best in the business!

CDC84
11-05-2013, 10:01 AM
BTW - I have been told that Stephen Bardo has moved on to the Big Ten Network.

SteelCityZag
11-05-2013, 10:45 AM

I've never noticed Roxy being anti-Zag as much as he is pro-Gael. No knock on him at all, other than like many, he doesn't seem to talk enough about the basketball, but focuses on the personalities and the team stories...but that's the way they call them these days.

Zag 77
11-05-2013, 02:51 PM
I have tried many times to turn down the TV audio and listen to the radio feed, but the difference is anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds and that drives me crazy. There probably is a technical way to fix that but I am a cheap and lazy old fart who does not want to buy any equipment and I am too lazy to "download" (is that the term?) some doo-dad to my TV (Yes, I did get a high-def TV). :confused:

ZagsZombieNation
11-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Still no WCC duo better than Gannon/Bardo. Flemming/Farnham would be my second choice but we don't have them either.

BobZag
11-05-2013, 04:10 PM
Years ago Dave Armstrong and Jimmy Dykes did West Coast Big Monday games. They were my faves.

zagamatic
11-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Roxy isn't the pro Mountain West guy from last year who talked on & on about how much better "their" conference was than ours is he? Saying all thru the conference tournament games how we wouldn't even finish 4th in the MWC. If so, I need to find out how to properly complain to ESPN early and often because that dumbass will make me have to listen to the radio instead of watching it on tv. That guy made me actually think that Greg Heister is a good broadcaster.

DixieZag
11-05-2013, 06:35 PM
I thought Dave Flemming did a real nice job last year.

I got the feeling, as I watched him, that we were lucky to have the young talent developing before us b/c he would be moving on to greener pastures soon enough. Just my op.