PDA

View Full Version : And The Season Begins Saturday

Reborn
11-04-2013, 06:11 PM
There is nothing like getting ready for the first game, for most of us anyway. We have a game again on Monday too with Colorado State U. So let's get ready. The 2013-14 is about to begin. We've been waiting for along time too. I'm most excited to see the new guys play, especially Coleman. And of course to see the new and improved PK and Sam Dower. I want to see Coleman's speed and the power of PK and Dower, especially on the boards. I was really excited about seeing the new and improved Drew Barham too, but it now looks like he won't play. I want to see if Coleman does bring a whole new speed to the game when he comes in.

Speaking of coming in, I've heard so many great things about David Stockton. I can hardly wait to see the improvement. Same for Dranginis and Edwards. The night will be filled with surprises for me. The journey from November to March is such an awesome one, and now it's set to begin on Saturday. We've made predictions and guesses, and now it will all be played out on the hardwood courts all across America. I would love to be there for the game. Just to see those young Zags come out of the locker room behind that flag for the start of the 2013-2014 season would be so amazing. I know all Zag fans who attend the game will feel the same way. And to hear the student section roar and beat out Zombie Nation with their feet. Heavenly. Yes. I'm a Zag fan, and I'm ready. And let the "Go Zags!!!" begin.

Go Zags!!!

Zagdawg
11-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Well said.

Looking forward to the Zags playing some solid ball and everyone getting some good playing time. No injuries.

Go Zags!

Kiddwell
11-04-2013, 09:25 PM
Dog Chow, a poem
<ahem>
Bryant has a mighty fine, a mighty fine ole hound,
Of tail and tooth and paw, forsooth,
Ole "Tupper Dog" renown.
And one fine eve this slobbering pooch,
Came trotting out to play,
Its tail a'wagging back-n-forth,
Its hopes as long as day.
Why, Tup, your tongues all slobbery,
(Poor heaving, huffing gut!)
You're looking kind of "clobbery,"
Did Spike just kick your butt?
Ka-floo-ee here! And there kapow!
There's no kind way of saying,
From doggy dear to doggy chow,
Poor Tupper got a spaying!

"Arf-Arf!"
"Yip-yip-yip-yip-yip!"

Spike's Kennel -- 98
Tupper Can't Have Puppies -- 61

:]

LAZAGFAN11
11-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Initially, I was weary about Stocks starting. For the past couple of years we've seen opposing guards shoot over him, out muscle him to the basket, and we've seen plenty of turnovers. The defensive inefficiency is especially glaring with a 3 guard line up of Stocks, Pangos, and Bell.

But what has made me rethink and reconsider is the chemistry that Stocks and Dower have when they play with each other. It's easy to see that Stocks looks for Dower whenever he's on the court and if Dower is going to have the year Gonzaga needs him to have, then we need our best post passer on the floor with him. Nobody can provide post entry passes like Stockton can. I'm no coach, but my bet is that Few understands this thinking. Along with some other reasoning, that is why we will see Stockton start on Saturday night.

Reborn
11-06-2013, 08:43 AM
I hope you're wrong, but you could be right. In the first five minutes of the game last Friday the Zags scored 4 points in the first five minutes. Then, in came Coleman and the Zags looked like zippy Zags. I'm for Coleman starting and Stockton coming in off the bench.

cjm720
11-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Good post Reborn. Exciting times...

I bet Coach will likely reward Stocks with a start, but I bet Coleman takes over after game 1 (similar to Bell's freshman year).

#1bulldogfan
11-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Nope, not this year, it does not matter who starts. Stockton will not get all the starts but will get the most because he needs to be rewarded for 5 years of hard work, also he has the ability and the risk of that reward is small. Coleman will get some starts and will play significant minutes. Coleman, if he is not beat out, he has next year to reap all his rewards. His scoring will stand out and he will be recognized.

roxdoc
11-06-2013, 10:23 AM
I would be a lot more comfortable if competence needed for the particular game was the criteria rather than who deeeserrves to be rewarded.

zagamatic
11-06-2013, 12:17 PM
I haven't heard anything about Barham possibly not playing. Could someone please elaborate? I'm referring to the OP

Zagdawg
11-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Granny/Jim posted this earlier in the week--

Jim Meehan ‏@SRJimm 45m
Few not sure if senior forward Drew Barham (right knee) will play in Saturday's opener. Tweaked it in practice last week

Not good news.

ZaGranny

Zagger
11-06-2013, 01:48 PM
I'm certainly interested in seeing a whole bunch of Zags play well but I'm most keen on seeing Gary Bell light things up. If both Kevin and Gary can be equally effective, opposing teams are going to have one heck of a time against the Zags as a whole. I don't mean to discount any other players. I just feel like the edge/extra the Zags will need to go deep into the season and deep into the NCAAs is hinged upon Bell being injury free (the more Zags that HAVE to be defended the more that are going to score). It's going to be an interesting and different season - a very good one I feel - just different.

ZagsZombieNation
11-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Kevin Pangos is more efficient and effective at the 2 than he is the 1 (kind of like Bouldin, Gray, Raivio, and others in the past). So I am okay with Stockton starting at the 1.

Section 116
11-06-2013, 03:23 PM
A bit about Bryant. This team is a recent upgrade to Division 1 basketball. They began the transition in 2008 and qualified for their first post season as Division 1 when they played in the CBI last season. This team had but 2 wins a couple seasons ago, had a nice turnaround from that with 19 wins last season and returns pretty decent talent for this season. This is also a guard heavy unit with 11 guards on the 16 man roster. And their biggest man is 6'8" 250 lb. freshman. For a nice read on the Bryant team which will be here Saturday here is a link to their basketball site: http://www.bryantbulldogs.com/sports/mbkb/2013-14/releases/20131106rj8dn2

hooter73
11-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Didnt I see that Stockton has a better assist to turnover ratio than Pangos, Ravio, Pargo...

People who complain about his turnovers make me shake my head. Cant disagree about guards shooting over him though. But again, they do that to all our guards:p

ZagaZags
11-06-2013, 03:32 PM
Cant wait. Let's bring in this guy for a pregame speech. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJshw2Axsqc

roxdoc
11-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Definitely needed, especially for Dance.

Zippyzaggy
11-06-2013, 03:57 PM
I hope you're wrong, but you could be right. In the first five minutes of the game last Friday the Zags scored 4 points in the first five minutes. Then, in came Coleman and the Zags looked like zippy Zags. I'm for Coleman starting and Stockton coming in off the bench.

Zippyzags?....I like the sound of that, lol.

It took a game or two if I recall corectly, before Few decided to start Pangos over Stockton. Might be a similiar situation here between Coleman vs. Stockton. Imo, the sooner Few starts Coleman, the better. Stockton is a walk-on. Coleman is a starter, a pretty impressive one too, from the Big East Conf. Taller, longer, more athletic, a better offensive weapon, and FASTER.

Aside form my jitters over such a thin front court, I am jacked for the season to start, GO ZAGS!!

maynard g krebs
11-06-2013, 04:52 PM
Much too early for Stockton/Coleman debate. The issue will settle itself in due time, i.e. in the next few weeks.

hooter73
11-06-2013, 06:13 PM
...Stockton is a walk-on...

Yeah, those walkons sure are worthless, right?

Reborn
11-07-2013, 05:20 PM
A bit about Bryant. This team is a recent upgrade to Division 1 basketball. They began the transition in 2008 and qualified for their first post season as Division 1 when they played in the CBI last season. This team had but 2 wins a couple seasons ago, had a nice turnaround from that with 19 wins last season and returns pretty decent talent for this season. This is also a guard heavy unit with 11 guards on the 16 man roster. And their biggest man is 6'8" 250 lb. freshman. For a nice read on the Bryant team which will be here Saturday here is a link to their basketball site: http://www.bryantbulldogs.com/sports/mbkb/2013-14/releases/20131106rj8dn2

I'm sure the Kennel Club will be ready to greet the "other" Bulldogs into Kennel 2. The Zags will be ready. I'm so pumped. It's Thursday night. Two more days. Look for Dower and PK to dominate the small front line for Bryant. But I'm still excited to see Coleman play. And my two fav players, and they have been for two years now, are Bell and Pangos. Can't wait to see them too. Hopefully shooting lights out.

Zippyzaggy
11-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Yeah, those walkons sure are worthless, right?

Who said that? Oh, that's right, you did.

Maybe I could have elaborated but I presume almost everyone would prefer playing a player that has established himself as a pretty good one from the Big East Conf, over one that well, started out as a walk on. Yes, he has done quite well as such, barring some crucial, costly mistakes. I'd still prefer Coleman though.

But I am proud to disagree with you. :)

bballbeachbum
11-08-2013, 03:11 PM
cheers Reborn! dig the pep talk

looking forward to seeing all the new pieces and the improved pieces and get a view of them all on the floor

Zag4Hire
11-09-2013, 08:18 AM
The most wonderful time of the year. Can't wait and Go Zags!

Reborn
11-09-2013, 08:59 AM
It's here. It's finally here. The first game is always a sweet one.

Go Zags!!!