• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ltf_canada
    Redshirt
    • Nov 2010

College Sports Madness ranks Gonzaga at #8

Likely a bit too high but definitely interesting. Quite a few highly regarded programs are placed behind Gonzaga.

College Sports Madness previews
  • exclusivelee
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2013

yeah. too early for a #8 ranking... must be Bleacher Report quality since Kansas is ranked #18

Comment

• TravelinZag
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2012

Think we are in for an exciting, up and down year, with an appearance in the dance. But a single-digit rating? Koolaid with extra, extra sugar; an expectation certain to bring disappointment.

FWIW, whoever "College Sports Madness" is (suspect emphasis on the last word), they rate 144 teams, including opponents for all but 14 of the Zags games. Included from the OOC schedule are Memphis, Kansas St, W. Va, N. Mex. St, Oakland and (in the top 100?) WSU, as well as every team at the Maui except the host. Colorado St, Bryant, S. Alabama and Coppin didn't make their top 144. GU, BYU, St Mary's, USF and San Diego made their list, rest of WCC did not. So (according to them) Zags have 17 games against their pre-season 144, 14 (10 from WCC) against bottom 200+. Actually, except for Pepperdine and Coppin, the scheduled is far from awful. Three games to let the starting five watch for a few minutes if the coaches wanted to.

Comment

• DZ
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by TravelinZag View Post
        Think we are in for an exciting, up and down year, with an appearance in the dance. But a single-digit rating? Koolaid with extra, extra sugar; an expectation certain to bring disappointment.

FWIW, whoever "College Sports Madness" is (suspect emphasis on the last word), they rate 144 teams, including opponents for all but 14 of the Zags games. Included from the OOC schedule are Memphis, Kansas St, W. Va, N. Mex. St, Oakland and (in the top 100?) WSU, as well as every team at the Maui except the host. Colorado St, Bryant, S. Alabama and Coppin didn't make their top 144. GU, BYU, St Mary's, USF and San Diego made their list, rest of WCC did not. So (according to them) Zags have 17 games against their pre-season 144, 14 (10 from WCC) against bottom 200+. Actually, except for Pepperdine and Coppin, the scheduled is far from awful. Three games to let the starting five watch for a few minutes if the coaches wanted to.
        While number 8 sounds like he forgot the one before it - - I think that a single digit seed, 6-9 isn't unrealistic. I am all too sure that we are pegged for that dreaded 8-9 game. Ugh.
        Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
        Mark Twain.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
          • Mar 2008

Even I am not drinking this flavor of kool-aid just yet....fun but got some areas to prove on hardwood first
          The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2011

I can see why some would rank us inside the top 10. Pangos, Bell and Coleman make up one of the best backcourts (top 5) in the nation and if Dower and Karno can stay out of foul trouble, we will be dominant.

Since our schedule isn't as difficult as past years, we have the opportunity to be undefeated and ranked top 10 on Monday, December 2nd.
            “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• mee755
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Agreed. Way too early for this Kool-Aid.
              ...and there definitely is no such thing as Prince Charming.

Comment

• Zagger
                Banned
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
                I can see why some would rank us inside the top 10. Pangos, Bell and Coleman make up one of the best backcourts (top 5) in the nation and if Dower and Karno can stay out of foul trouble, we will be dominant......
                I agree 100% - or 95% anyway. I think Pangos and Coleman will put up the points. Where I'm a bit less certain is just how well Bell will play this year. If Bell shines - it is going to be a very fun year. The Zags are going to be hard to beat. It'll take a team with very good defense to give the Zags a good scare.

Comment

• siliconzag
                  Bleeds GU Blue
                  • Feb 2007

I find it quite revealing to read various folks comments over the years. Go Zags probably has most approximated my own prognostications. I figure to be in the top 20 is a good thing, and that any team in the top 20 can rise to the top. Of my two teams (being a double alum), I am thinking that Creighton will fare better. They are going to miss Echinique who was a monster inside, but they have new offensive threats and they play very smart (not unlike the Zags). McDermott may be less effective without Echinique. The Zags face a similar challenge, losing both KO and EH. I still have problems with the idea that GU is elite, especially since the term is frequently employed to designate the final 8 teams in the tournament, which has never been replicated since Matt, Casey and Richey played in 1999. Anyway, I would put GU at about 18 and Creighton about 15, both in the top 20. Should be fascinating to see what the Bluejays do in the Big East. I don't believe the transition will be as difficult for them as some suggest.

Comment

Working...
                  X