21. Notre Dame
22. UCLA
23. New Mexico
24. Virginia
25. Baylor

HenneZag
10-31-2013, 09:47 AM
I will take that.
Wich St @ 16 ughhh just seeing their name by ours makes me want to vomit. Still not over it.

Zagdawg
10-31-2013, 09:50 AM
Nice starting point-- lets take care of business and see where we can end up come March.

Go Zags!

hooter73
10-31-2013, 09:54 AM
And we play none of them this year. Good thing or bad thing, I dont know.

HenneZag
10-31-2013, 10:01 AM
And we play none of them this year. Good thing or bad thing, I dont know.

We play Memphis @ Memphis. We potentially will play Syracuse and the likes of Minnesota in the Maui Invitational as well.

RRZagFan
10-31-2013, 10:02 AM
I believe if we beat Dayton in Maui ,then we probably play Baylor in next game

exclusivelee
10-31-2013, 10:28 AM
We play Memphis @ Memphis. We potentially will play Syracuse and the likes of Minnesota in the Maui Invitational as well.

and most likely Baylor in Maui...

and unlike the Coaches' Poll, California (possible Maui opponent) and Kansas State were not included in the AP Poll

exclusivelee
10-31-2013, 10:33 AM
Gonzaga's average placement based on votes:

AP Poll: 17.72
Coaches' Poll: 17.56

hooter73
10-31-2013, 10:46 AM
Huh, yeah I missed memphis in there. and forgot about 'cruse in Maui. Good calls. Hope we can take em both, that would go a long way against the rest of our strength of schedule arguments that inevitably happen at the end of the year.

Kiddwell
10-31-2013, 11:59 AM
Apparently we're better than Kiddwell thought. Hope we're really that good. Start finding out the answer pretty soon.

:]

TravelinZag
10-31-2013, 12:30 PM
Would rather have top 50 now, top 15 end of regular season. The hype hinders more than it helps.

VinnyZag
10-31-2013, 12:30 PM
Apparently we're better than Kiddwell thought. Hope we're really that good. Start finding out the answer pretty soon.

:]

I'm skeptical, too. I'd guess that Wichita State, Marquette, Oregon and Notre Dame end up being better than GU.

cjm720
10-31-2013, 12:38 PM
Seems about right. We're an elite program that is loaded, but will have a new identity.

Success in Maui is crucial to attain a top 4 seed IMO.

VaBeachZAG
10-31-2013, 12:47 PM
I'm skeptical, too. I'd guess that Wichita State, Marquette, Oregon and Notre Dame end up being better than GU.

Frankly, I find the though of the Zags needing to lurk in the weeds waiting to jump onto an unsuspecting opponent to be very unappealing. That approach could work for me if the Zags were an average mid-major program. However, that's just not the case. We should embrace where we are at in the eyes of the college basketball world. Lets start climbing the rankings ladder at 15, not 50!

DixieZag
10-31-2013, 01:48 PM
1. Kentucky (27)
2. Michigan St (22)
3. Louisville (14)
4. Duke (2)
5. Kansas
6. Arizona
7. Michigan
8. Oklahoma St
8. Syracuse
10. Florida
11. Ohio St
12. North Carolina
13. Memphis
14. VCU
15. Gonzaga
16. Wichita St

If one looks at 1-15 of that list, it's ahhhh, that is quite the line-up. One could quibble about Oklahoma State and VCU as to whether they are royalty among college BB - but check out the rest of them, not one up and comer among them.

jchocolate99
10-31-2013, 02:15 PM
Would rather have top 50 now, top 15 end of regular season. The hype hinders more than it helps.

Oh stop... We're a perrenial top 25 team over the last decade and managed a number 1 ranking last year. The mindset of our fans that we need to constantly be this underdog needs to evolve. We need to embrace high rankings and be insulted when we're not mentioned with the top programs. The zag name and brand has shed it's cutsy reputation from when we went to the elite eight. Fans need to expect and want more from the coach and the program if we ever want to get to the promised land of a final four or beyond

Zagdawg
10-31-2013, 04:32 PM
Baylor just added another piece to their team that will make them tougher.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9909235/royce-oneale-granted-waiver-play-baylor-bears

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-31-2013, 04:51 PM
15 seems high to me. I think we have too many exploitable weaknesses, particularly in terms of depth and athleticism in the front court, for me to believe that this team should be ranked in the Top 20 to start the season. I hope they prove me wrong.

Unbiased
10-31-2013, 06:09 PM
I believe if we beat Dayton in Maui ,then we probably play Baylor in next game

Dayton will be tough.

Reborn
10-31-2013, 06:13 PM
I do think they are ranked exactly where they should be. I like it. And I like all the teams around us: Memphis, VCU, Wichita State, Marquette ( whom we could be getting a player from). North Carolina and Ohio St are not too far away either. I also like that. and of course we play Memphis this year; and that will be a great game. We have Oklahoma St and Syracuse in the top ten. I see no reason we couldn't beat Oklahoma St. We did it last year. I'm not too sure about Syracuse. That zone really seems to cause Gonzaga trouble.

This is a good place to start the season.

Go Zags!!!

bartruff1
10-31-2013, 06:49 PM
A compliment to the success of the program..I have a uninformed opinion that every year there are about 5 teams that are at the top...about 5 teams that are a step behind and then about 15 teams that are about equal... .seems high to me...but after Tommy's talk....well....let the games begin..

Marcus
10-31-2013, 07:03 PM
I like where the team is ranked. I also don't think we as fans can have it both ways as far as national respect AND being the underdog thats primed to upset the "big boys". I personally feel that Gonzaga is more than just a national feel good story from years past. They are a globally known program with fans and players from all over the world. I doubt the players, coaches and those close to the program would ever think they are ranked "too high". If the program wants to be elite, which I believe they are, they must have the utmost confidence that they belong in the same breath as the Blue Devils, Tar Heels, Jayhawks etcetera. I don't think any of those programs and their fans would ever feel that they don't deserve their lofty rankings. I realize that the team is very different than last years and it is difficult to know just how good they can be, but I believe that they are being given the respect they deserve with this ranking. I can imagine how our fan base would feel if we were not ranked at all, I know I would feel that the team was being disrespected. Better to be in the spotlight than out of it in my opinion.

maynard g krebs
10-31-2013, 07:06 PM
According to Lindy's preseason mag, the Zags have four players in the top 25 at their positions, including 2 in the top 10 (Pangos #8 pg, Bell #8 sg, Karno #15 center, Dower #24 pf). And Coleman is in their category talent-wise and had the stats at Providence to match. The team is one frontline injury from being vulnerable, but the ranking isn't unreasonable. This team is loaded offensively.

DixieZag
10-31-2013, 07:34 PM
According to Lindy's preseason mag, the Zags have four players in the top 25 at their positions, including 2 in the top 10 (Pangos #8 pg, Bell #8 sg, Karno #15 center, Dower #24 pf). And Coleman is in their category talent-wise and had the stats at Providence to match. The team is one frontline injury from being vulnerable, but the ranking isn't unreasonable. This team is loaded offensively.

Now that is a good post.

This team really is an unknown quantity - up front is what I mean.

The backcourt is as solid as we have ever had (or at least in the discussion with Dickau/Stepp, Santanelo/Steppe).

I guess it will sort of get down to whether the adage that it is guards that carry college BB team applies. I have always been skeptical about that. It seems there are lots of teams with great guards and very few with great big men. We could have two great big men, we'll see.

kyle dixon
10-31-2013, 09:05 PM
big ups to Maynard and Dixie. Finally some excitement to the Zags for the season. If I am not mistaken Few once stated that he caught lightning in a bottle. Much of the posts I have read recently have questioned Few, the direction of the program, and the escalation of SDSU and why a Minnesota boy does not choose us.

the cupboard is not empty, we will be strong. I enjoy the Zags, perhaps too much at times. I would rather comment on the Zags as to what they are, rather than what they are not. as Norman Dale once said in Hoosiers, "my team is out there."

DixieZag
10-31-2013, 09:23 PM
big ups to Maynard and Dixie. Finally some excitement to the Zags for the season. If I am not mistaken Few once stated that he caught lightning in a bottle. Much of the posts I have read recently have questioned Few, the direction of the program, and the escalation of SDSU and why a Minnesota boy does not choose us.

the cupboard is not empty, we will be strong. I enjoy the Zags, perhaps too much at times. I would rather comment on the Zags as to what they are, rather than what they are not. as Norman Dale once said in Hoosiers, "my team is out there."

That's good stuff, too. None of us really need a lesson about a guy or two really stepping up and surprising. Karno - Sam - Coleman and my biggest hope - Gary, can all explode this year and give us a vector we really had underestimated. Even without an explosion, as always lately, we'll be super competitive, gutsy and they'll take us for a ride.

I think it'll come down to a clash of BYU and GU for the WCC - should be really fun. BYU has added a great element to the conference. They are tough, unapologetically nasty in a game and deliciously easy to hate - a good hate, not real hate.

exclusivelee
11-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Pollspeak has the goods:

http://www.pollspeak.com/component/option,com_psreport/Itemid,3/lang,en/p,56/p_1,56/r,T/r_1,T/s,26/s_1,26/t1,124/t1_1,124/t2,0/t2_1,0/v,0/v_1,0/w,1/w_1,1/

Out of the 65 AP voters, 6 left Gonzaga unranked:

Bret Strelow
Brian Howell
Cormac Gordon
John Werner
Mark Berman
Matt Vautour

However, 23 voters did rank Gonzaga #15 or better

but give a shout out to the following:

Aaron Brenner ranked Gonzaga #11
Andrew Greif ranked Gonzaga #12
Ron Morris ranked Gonzaga #12

Zag 77
11-01-2013, 01:24 PM
15 is way too high for this team right now. They have a lot of work to do. Let us see where things stand after the Maui Tournament.

Zippyzaggy
11-01-2013, 02:39 PM
15 seems high to me. I think we have too many exploitable weaknesses, particularly in terms of depth and athleticism in the front court, for me to believe that this team should be ranked in the Top 20 to start the season. I hope they prove me wrong.

The seemingly obvious plan would be to get our bigs into foul trouble. Go right at Karnowski & Dower and we'll be sunk. If only Moser or the other transfer recruit had come onboard the Zags would have been looking very, very, good.

DixieZag
11-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Will people be able to go right at Karno and Dower consistently? These are big guys, bigger than most have. Big bigs can play defense with arms extended high and hands way up. We'll see. Seems like Edwards can come in and provide more defense than we though. I still think the team can be very good. Not many with a better back court 1-3.

maynard g krebs
11-01-2013, 07:06 PM
The seemingly obvious plan would be to get our bigs into foul trouble. Go right at Karnowski & Dower and we'll be sunk.

It's certainly an issue, but there are alternatives; zone D or double the post when the ball is entered, to mention the obvious. I'm sure the more x and o savvy posters here can come up with more than that, as can the staff. Might mean giving up some perimeter looks, which many here hate, but there are ways to protect the bigs from foul trouble.

Also, I doubt that there more than half a dozen teams (more or less) on the schedule that have the offensive talent in the post to be successful with this approach. Most college teams don't have elite scorers inside, and against most teams, guys with Karno and Dower's size should be able to just stay in front of their guys with a hand up on the shot and limit percentages well enough, as Dixie pointed out.

Reborn
11-03-2013, 10:46 AM
The best way to stay out of foul trouble is to work hard to become a good defensive player. Some people perhaps may not know how hard it is to learn to be a good defensive player. There is a lot to learn. I believe Karno, contrary to some people's beliefs, is a good defensive player. The mere fact that he has lost weight will help him tremendously. Dower says he's worked hard on defense over the summer. This may not mean alot to some, but it does to me because of what I originally said. I'm believing him. The panic over foul trouble, imo, is unwarranted. I also believe that Edwards will be a good backup for PK, and some how the team will fill in for Dower when he needs breaks.

Hoopaholic
11-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Position anticipation understand role and move your feet

siliconzag
11-03-2013, 12:28 PM
I will take that.
Wich St @ 16 ughhh just seeing their name by ours makes me want to vomit. Still not over it.

Actually, Wichita State can join a long list of hatable opponents beginning with Wyoming, Nevada, Texas Tech, UCLA, to mention a few. I drove through Reno on my to do some fly fishing two days ago and experienced nausea. Thanks for the diagnosis, Henne. (The last time I felt this way was when I was driving through Westwood). Must be a Pavlovian thing. I still hate the Wolfpack. I even root for UNLV against them. That was a bitter pill. At least Wichita was a really good team, if that is any consolation to you. My sense is that the Shockers are still under rated, and the Zags, a bit over. Notice that Creighton beat the Shockers two of three times, and barely lost the third (in Wichita on a questionable call on GG). The Jays return 4/5 players, including Grant Gibbs. They aren't even mentioned in this poll. Shockers do return 3/5 players but will really miss their leading rebounder and second leading (great defensive player) Carl Hall, as well as Malcom Armstead. With a great system and the return of Baker and Early, they should be formidable again. At least Wichita State made a big statement after they beat the Zags, unlike Wyoming and Nevada.

I echo the sentiments of those who say, its good to be in the conversation. I can't remember a time when I was this unsure about the Zags. There are so many unknowns.

sittingon50
11-06-2013, 06:56 PM
**Bleacher Report**Bleacher Report**

Zags check in at #13

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1828058-college-basketball-power-rankings-bleacher-reports-preseason-top-25/page/14

75Zag
11-06-2013, 07:03 PM
... I can't remember a time when I was this unsure about the Zags. There are so many unknowns.

Amen.

I can see the Bulldogs with a 2 loss season and playing in Spokane with a 3 seed, but I can also see the Bulldogs with a 6 or 7 loss season playing - I hope - in some God forsaken Southern state at a 12 seed.

Here's hoping for all the best this year.

Go Bulldogs!