PDA

View Full Version : Kelly with the Celtics

ZaGranny
10-31-2013, 09:28 AM
Two articles about Kelly's Debut:

Kelly Olynyk's family experiences Toronto homecoming for Celtics rookie's NBA debut

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/10/30/kelly-olynyks-family-experiences-toronto-homecoming-for-celtics-rookies-nba-debut

There is only one opening night - one chance for a career to begin - and there wasn’t a chance Arlene and Ken Olynyk were going to miss it.

Their son, Kelly, was making his NBA debut wearing the famous green of the Boston Celtics Wednesday night, and for this sporting family, it was a night to cherish, a night of nerves and emotions, a night they’ll never forget.

more at the link.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Olynyk+warms+debut+against+Raptors/9104888/story.html

B.C.'s Kelly Olynyk warms up to NBA debut against Raptors

Seven-footer from Kamloops makes early mark with Celtics

TORONTO — Kelly Olynyk’s young basketball adventure returned him to Toronto on Wednesday night.

He opened his NBA account with four points in 16 minutes, 18 seconds — second only to Kris Humphries and Jordan Crawford in time off the bench — as the Boston Celtics were beaten 93-87 by the Toronto Raptors before a crowd of 20,155 in the season opener for both teams.

more at the link

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
11-01-2013, 06:45 PM
Celtics lead most of the game, but could not sustain it.

Kelly played 13:50. He had 4 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist. 4 fouls, 1 TO.

ZzGranny

ZaGranny
11-03-2013, 04:42 PM
The game was better than it looks. The Celtics came back from huge deficits twice. Kelly had a great game. He played 25:56. He had 15 points, 8 rebounds, 5 fouls, 3 TO's, 2 steals. He had 6 of 11 shooting, and 3 of 3 free throws.

What was more important to me--in the second half, he looked like he was having fun!

Go Celtics! Go Kelly!

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
11-04-2013, 08:19 AM
Bit of Sunshine: Olynyk breaks through

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4707920/bit-of-sunshine-olynyk-breaks-through

After blending into the scenery for two games, Olynyk broke through in the second half of Sunday's 87-77 loss to the Detroit Pistons. The 22-year-old forward scored 10 of his team-high 15 points after intermission and grabbed all eight of his team-high rebound total in that same span. Olynyk's efforts helped Boston twice rally from double-digit deficits before some turnover woes helped the Pistons race away in the final minutes.

Kelly Olynyk a bright spot for Celtics in loss

By Baxter Holmes | GLOBE STAFF NOVEMBER 04, 2013

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/11/04/celtics-rookie-vitor-faverani-displays-knack-for-blocked-shots/CbpAGfyYNwnqKnl2HIkcYL/story.html

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — Kelly Olynyk, the Celtics’ 2013 first-round draft pick, found his rhythm late Sunday, when his team was playing for its life against the Detroit Pistons at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

And it was then that the 7-footer out of Gonzaga showcased the biggest flashes yet of the talent and versatility that led NBA general managers to vote him as the biggest steal of the draft for where he was selected (13th overall).

With Olynyk pouring in 10 of his team-high 15 points in the second half, the Celtics were able to make a late charge to try and overtake the Pistons.

They still fell short, 87-77, as the Celtics fell to 0-3 on the regular season, but it was still Olynyk’s finest outing yet, as he made 6 of 11 shots off the bench while also grabbing eight rebounds in 26 minutes of action.

“I definitely got into a little bit of rhythm down the stretch there where I was out there for a little while, kind of in the flow on both ends of the floor, up-and-down transition, trying to do a bunch of different things,” he said.

Olynyk was part of a late-game lineup that included Avery Bradley, Courtney Lee, BrandonBass, and Gerald Wallace. “We saw a lot of good things out of Kelly,” Celtics coach Brad Stevens said.

More at the links.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
11-04-2013, 07:32 PM
His shot was off (tired legs?), but I thought he played well on defense.

He played 24:40. He had 4 points, 4 rebounds, 3 fouls and 4 turnovers.

ZaGranny

Zag365
11-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Looks like KO is tearing it up through first three quarters!

P.S. Thanks ZaGranny for all your Old Dogs posts. You are Zag BB Sportscenter Scoreboard. Saves me the trouble of scanning the box scores in daily paper or on ESPN.

Correction: Should be 11.06.13. I'm into Thursday already.

ZaGranny
11-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Celtics 97 Jazz 87

Kelly had a great game. He played 29:25. He had 14 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 fouls, 1 steal, 2 TO's.

He and the Celtics looked really good--not a good first 5 minutes or last five minutes, but 40 good minutes.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
11-07-2013, 03:37 PM
Celtics rookie Kelly Olynyk making strides

By Jim Fenton
ENTERPRISE STAFF WRITER
Posted Nov 07, 2013 @ 07:14 PM
Last update Nov 07, 2013 @ 07:17 PM

WALTHAM —
There has been no easing rookie Kelly Olynyk into the rotation of the rebuilding Celtics this season.
The 22-year-old forward from Gonzaga was the second player used off the bench in the season opener against the Toronto Raptors on Oct. 30, and he has averaged 22 minutes per game.
“It’s always nice to play,’’ said Olynyk following practice on Thursday afternoon. “Everyone wants to play. That’s why you’re here. You love the game of basketball and you want to play as much as you can. You want to be on the floor.’’
Coach Brad Stevens put Olynyk in the frontcourt mix right away and has kept him there, squeezing veteran Kris Humphries out of the picture for the time being.

---

Day by day, Olynyk, the 13th player taken in last June’s NBA Draft, is making progress with his game.
“I’m just trying to come in and get better every day,’’ he said. “Sometimes you have good days and sometimes you don’t. That’s the way the cookie crumbles. You’ve got to just be ready.
“(The NBA) is basically what I thought it would be. It’s the best teams in the world, the best players in the world, you’re playing 82 games. You’ve got to improve on everything. There’s a reason you practice every day.’’
Stevens said that Olynyk, who was born in Toronto, has been picking things up at a rapid pace during the early part of his career.
“I think he’s been pretty good,’’ said Stevens. “I think he’s such a well versed student of the game. His dad is a coach. He played in a great college program. He’s really a bright guy, an Academic All-American on top of that.
“He’s got all that stuff. He’s going to make leaps and bounds with regards to the mental aspect of the NBA and he has. We’re guarding in a system that he hasn’t guarded in before and he’s picked it up as quickly as anybody.’’

More at the link

http://www.enterprisenews.com/answerbook/pembroke/x1372981209/Celtics-rookie-Kelly-Olynyk-making-strides

ZaGranny
11-08-2013, 09:42 PM
Kelly played 22:15. He had 8 points, 6 rebounds (4 offensive!), 5 fouls and 3 TO's.

I did not see the game (we were at the Lady Zags game) and I forgot to record it, so I am hoping they replay it tomorrow.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
11-09-2013, 09:15 AM
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/11/09/celtics/WP4vfxBIUAyBTrDbqss7MI/story.html

Really nice article on Kelly's game last night.

ORLANDO — One certainty during his rookie season with the Celtics is Kelly Olynyk is going to play. He is going to get his 20-plus minutes per game as one of the franchise’s potential cornerstones.

On Friday night at Amway Center, Olynyk’s most critical minutes were down the stretch, the 8:15 he played in the fourth quarter of the Celtics’ rather exciting 91-89 victory over the Orlando Magic. The Celtics have more experienced big men, and more rugged ones, but none with the skill set Olynyk possesses.

He has a sweet perimeter jumper, but that jumper has been about as scarce as a sunny day in a Saskatchewan winter. He has had his share of good looks, his share of open shots from 15-17 feet, and the resulting sound was usually a clank.

Olynyk, despite his foul trouble and turnovers, was in Friday’s game in the final minutes and received a pass from a driving Jordan Crawford. It was one of those moments where the motion slowed, the crowd quieted, and Olynyk seemingly had five minutes to gather himself for the release.

The ball swished through the net, a 12-footer that gave the Celtics an 88-84 lead with 1:19 left. Orlando would reduce the deficit to 1 on two more occasions but Boston had enough to win, and Olynyk had a sizable role.

---

Inasmuch as Olynyk is attempting to take NBA life in stride, as many towels he has to collect or drinks he has to deliver for teammates, this is far from tedious. He said running errands for the veterans “gives me something to do” and the thrill of hitting a big shot to win an NBA game is not lost on the Canadian. It’s cherished.

“It’s fun. It’s what you live for, what you dream about as a little kid,” he said. “To be in it, it’s something else, but it’s what you want, what you live for and what you’re working for so you’ve got to make the most of it.”

Much more about Kelly's life as a rookie at the link

ZaGranny

sittingon50
11-09-2013, 10:30 PM
Celtics upset the Heat in Miami with a 3 from the corner on a .6 inbounds play. Kelly on the floor at the end.

7 pts, 8 boards in 23 mins.

ZaGranny
11-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Great win! Kelly played 22.45. He had 7 points, 8 rebounds (3 offensive), 4 assists, 5 fouls, 1 TO, 1 block.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
11-10-2013, 06:29 PM
http://instagram.com/p/gjs1ayAcmh/

kellyolynyk
49 minutes ago
Chillin with the Colonel. It's the small things in life that make the biggest difference.

Hilarious pic of Kelly!

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
11-12-2013, 10:17 AM
4 wins in a row! The Celtics are now 4 and 4, and Kelly had another start and a great game.

He played 26 minutes. He had 16 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 fouls, 1 steal, 2 turnovers and 1 blocks.

Nice snippets about Kelly in these articles:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4708194/pregame-cs-sticking-with-olynyk

BOSTON -- The Boston Celtics will keep rookie Kelly Olynyk in the starting 5 as they open a three-game homestand on Monday against the Orlando Magic.

Olynyk bumped fellow rookie Vitor Faverani from the first unit on Saturday in Miami and played well. Despite shooting 36.9 percent from the floor this season, you can see Olynyk getting more comfortable on the floor and coach Brad Stevens is confident those shots will fall soon.

"It’s not just idea of what [Olynyk has] done, statistically, [but] being able to run a lot through him. He really knows how to play, can really pass," said Stevens. "Obviously, he’s a threat to shoot it more than he’s made shots. That’s why I’m not worried about him making shots. I’ve always subscribed to the law of averages, and so he’s got a bunch of makes coming. But he is a good basketball player and, offensively, it makes us more versatile on the floor."

Olynyk gets the unenviable task of guarding Magic center Nikola Vucevic, who started fast in Friday's matchup and finished with 14 points and 13 rebounds over 36 minutes.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sbnation/SBNation_20131112_The_Celtics_are_finding_an_ident ity.html

Stevens started rookie Kelly Olynyk at center, noting that his cold shooting to open the season was likely to turn around. Sure enough, Olynyk made seven of nine shots and finished with 16 points, seven boards and five assists. Jared Sullinger also hit seven of nine and after three quarters, Bradley, Olynyk and Sullinger were 21-for-26 from the floor.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sbnation/SBNation_20131112_The_Celtics_are_finding_an_ident ity.html#AW2ICjcvwEpjrMLj.99

http://nesn.com/2013/11/celtics-magic-live-avery-bradley-cs-return-home-looking-to-make-it-four-straight-wins/

End of third quarter, Celtics 87-74: Kelly Olynyk can shoot. His coach believes it. His president of basketball operations believes it. He just needs to believe it. Olynyk passed up a couple of open 3-point looks in the third quarter, to his teammates’ consternation. Gerald Wallace actually threw up his hands in exasperation when he hit Olynyk with a perfect pass in the corner, only to see Olynyk pump-fake and dribble toward the base line. Olynyk’s reticence to shoot is just about the only thing to find fault with in the third quarter for the Celtics, though. They maintained their offensive efficiency while getting even more aggressive on defense, forcing six turnovers in that 12 minutes alone.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2013/11/celtics-magic-live-avery-bradley-cs-return-home-looking-to-make-it-four-straight-wins/

Much more at the links.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
11-12-2013, 04:47 PM
http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/olynyk-its-not-how-you-start

BOSTON — On the Jumbotron overlooking the TD Garden crowd, the images of Celtics starters appeared as they were introduced prior to Boston's 120-105 win against Orlando.

Kelly Olynyk was among the Celtics to be so honored. But for him, being part of the five-man unit that finished off the game was more important.

Considering how Olynyk's game continues to get better with time, there's a good chance that he'll see plenty of Jumbotron time with the starters as well as court time with the team's closers just like he he did in Monday's win.

Olynyk, making his second straight start, had a career-high 16 points on 7-for-9 shooting along with seven rebounds and a career-high five assists.

"It's good (to start)," Olynyk told CSNNE.com prior to Monday's tip-off. "It's what you dream about, what you live for. Everyone wants to start. But more important, everyone wants to finish a game."

But to do that, a player must establish himself as a vital cog in the team's success throughout the night, something that Olynyk has been doing since he replaced Vitor Faverani in the starting lineup.

More at the link.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
11-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Kelly Olynyk ‏@KellyOlynyk 25m
A true winner right here! http://instagram.com/p/gqXhtqmwWj/
Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand

Great picture of Kelly, Jeff Green and young cancer patient.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
11-13-2013, 12:41 PM
http://www.nba.com/rookie-ladder/?cid=nba_12_twitter_L

And while MCW continues to draw headlines and raves from opponents and pundits, another couple rookies have quietly made waves.

In Boston, Kelly Olynyk looked like the Rookie of the Year contender everyone (myself included) made him out to be before the season. Celtics coach Brad Stevens has given Olynyk more run, and the rookie has responded, helping Boston to a four-game winning streak in which he has averaged 11.3 points and 7.3 rebounds.

Stevens has, in turn, rewarded Olynyk with the starting job (for now -- he's only started the last two games) while bringing fellow rook Vitor Faverani (who started hot out of the blocks) off the bench.

Kelly is ranked 3rd behind Oladipo and Carter-Williams

3 Kelly Olynyk : BOSTON CELTICS
The Celtics' big man is finally starting to look like the stud we saw in Summer League. In Boston's current four-game winning streak, Olynyk has been key, averaging 11.3 points and 7.3 rebounds on 44 percent shooting (even going 3-for-9 on 3-pointers) while starting the last two games in place of Vitor Faverani. If he continues to improve and play as he has (and the Celtics keep winning), Olynyk will make a push toward the top rungs. -- Nov. 13

More at the link.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
11-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Kelly played 33:17. He had 6 points, 11 rebounds :), 4 assists, 4 fouls, 4 TO's, 1 block.

ZaGranny

Zaghuatanejo
11-13-2013, 06:34 PM
Kelly played 33:17. He had 6 points, 11 rebounds :), 4 assists, 4 fouls, 4 TO's, 1 block.

ZaGranny

I didn't get a chance to watch the game, so can someone explain why he had only 4 shot attempts? Stats show that he played over 30mins.

Marcus
11-13-2013, 08:13 PM
I didn't get a chance to watch the game, so can someone explain why he had only 4 shot attempts? Stats show that he played over 30mins.
Kelly was passing up a ton of shots. He was way to passive on offence even when he was wide open. There were times he could have taken his man off the dribble as well but didn't. In my opinion he looked like he was over thinking everything. He is being such a good team guy and wants to make the best play all the time instead of being aggressive and hunting for his shot. In this game in particular they were having trouble scoring as no one on the Celtics was trying to be the go to guy, Kelly could have helped this by being aggressive. He is more than capable of putting the ball in the hoop regularly, even at this level, he just doesn't know it yet.

willandi
11-14-2013, 06:06 AM
I haven't watched the games, but have followed several on gametracker.
There was a game last week or so that, despite scoring 16 or so, he shot poorly, specially from the 3 point. Some may have been forced and others contested...as I said, I didn't watch.
We have heard that he has the green light. It may be that having missed his first few shots, he is hesitant to keep chucking the ball up...may not have the feel that day.
I do agree that he probably needs to continue shooting. Even more so when team-mates are not.

ZaGranny
11-15-2013, 07:12 PM
Kelly played 15:56. He had 2 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 4 To's.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
11-16-2013, 07:02 PM
Kelly played 14:23. He had 6 points, 1 assists, 2 TO, 1 block.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
11-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Kelly played 37:29. From the box score it looks like he started.

He had 8 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 5 fouls, 2 turnovers.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
11-23-2013, 09:10 AM
I was wondering why Kelly had only 12 minutes, 2 points, etc. in last night's game.

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2013/11/kelly_olynyk_injury_boston_cel_1.html

BOSTON – Boston Celtics rookie Kelly Olynyk sprained his right ankle late in the second quarter of Friday night’s 97-82 loss to the Indiana Pacers and did not return.

While addressing reporters after the game, the big man did not know whether he would miss any more time.

“We’ll see,” he responded when asked whether he will return to the lineup Saturday night in Atlanta. “Only time will tell.”

“Everyone’s sprained their ankle that’s played the game of basketball usually,” added Olynyk, who said he did not think he would require an MRI. “Some of them are lighter, some of them are more intense. I wouldn’t say this is an intense, intense one where I’ll be out a month or so.”

Asked whether it’s a high sprain or low sprain, Olynyk laughed, “I don’t know enough about injuries to tell you that. I think it’s, I don’t know, mid to be safe.”

“I’m just trying to get pressure and ice on it,” he said. “Anything you do with a typical sprain.”

More at the link.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
11-24-2013, 08:24 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/11/24/5139524/kelly-olynyk-injury-boston-celtics

Kelly Olynyk injury: Celtics rookie sidelined with ankle sprain

Boston Celtics rookie big man Kelly Olynyk could miss a "couple of weeks" with a sprained ankle, according to Brad Stevens.

The first year coach told reporters on Saturday that the ankle injury may be a blessing in disguise, as Olynyk was dealing with other slight injuries, as well:

More: Celtics Blog

"He had a little bit of a hamstring (injury) that he was dealing with too," Celtics head coach Brad Stevens told reporters on Saturday. "That scares me more because that can become a lingering thing."
The 7-footer injured his ankle in the first half of Boston's 97-82 loss to the Indiana Pacers Friday night when he collided with Indiana's Luis Scola. He did not return to the game and was using crutches afterwards.

More at link

Here is the link to the Boston Globe article. Similar info with a larger pic of Kelly on the floor--hard to look at.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/11/24/kelly-olynyk-sidelined-ankle-injury/nctVAXoykvXWPOX2BFcBoN/story.html

ZaGranny

ZagNut08
11-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Hopefully the time off will allow him to heal up his other nagging injuries and come back stronger.

BigZagFan
11-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Kelly played 37:29. From the box score it looks like he started.

He had 8 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 5 fouls, 2 turnovers.

ZaGranny

I was at this game. The Spurs are a very strong team with probably the best interior defense in the NBA. Kelly was matched up against Tiago Splitter. I think Kelly's game is very similar to Tiago's and would expect them to have similar stats at the end of the year.

On a side note, the pregame strength and flexibility attention by the Spurs is impressive. That is a team that focuses on avoiding injury. Their attention to detail is off-the-charts.

LongIslandZagFan
11-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Any word on when he will be back. Going to be at the Celtics-Nuggets game on 12/6.

ZaGranny
11-27-2013, 08:58 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4708677/practice-olynyk-sits-out-session

Practice: Olynyk sits out session

WALTHAM, Mass. -- Boston Celtics rookie forward/center Kelly Olynyk, who suffered a sprained ankle during Friday's visit from the Indiana Pacers, did not participate in Tuesday's practice session while receiving treatment for the injury.

"Nothing new; same as before," Celtics coach Brad Stevens said when asked for an update. "When he did it against Indiana, I was told approximately two weeks, whatever that means. I don’t know if that’s give or take a week, or give or take a couple days."

Olynyk downplayed the injury after it happened, but limped noticeably after Friday's game. He did not accompany the team on its recent two-game road trip to Atlanta and Charlotte. A two-week recovery puts him on a path to return sometime around a Dec. 6 visit from the Denver Nuggets, but the schedule lightens up in December, allowing Boston some freedom to bring him back slowly.

Bolding mine.
More at link

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
11-30-2013, 09:12 AM
Kelly Olynyk playing waiting game

http://www.enterprisenews.com/blogs/onthehardwood/x140435739/Kelly-Olynyk-playing-waiting-game

Kelly Olynyk has missed four games since spraining his ankle a week ago Friday night and while progress is being made, he is going to be out a bit longer.
The Celtics rookie, who had moved into the starting lineup, doesn't know when he might be able to play again.
"I'm not sure,'' said Olynyk before Friday night's win over the Cleveland Cavaliers. "I guess I just have to keep working at it, keep trying to improve it, make sure you're ready to go and you can help the tema.
"You don't want to play and be out there injured and be a detriment.''

Read more: http://www.enterprisenews.com/blogs/onthehardwood/x140435739/Kelly-Olynyk-playing-waiting-game#ixzz2m9bJSuQE
Follow us: @enterprisenews on Twitter | EnterpriseBrockton on Facebook

More at the link

ZaGranny

LongIslandZagFan
11-30-2013, 09:17 AM
Crossing my fingers....

ZaGranny
12-02-2013, 11:27 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4708859/lee-returns-to-practice-olynyk-still-out

Lee returns to practice, Olynyk still out

Elsewhere on the injury front: Rookie forward/center Kelly Olynyk was on the floor engaging in some light free-throw shooting after practice, but did not participate in the session. Stevens noted that Olynyk's right ankle sprain was on the more severe side and the team won't rush him back. The team initially set a two-week timeframe, which would have had him back around Friday's visit from the Denver Nuggets, but he'll get some additional time to get right.

"Kelly is out and I think that probably still might be a week from what I can tell," said Stevens. "I don’t know the exact timeline on Kelly. It was a significant sprain, so we’re going to be smart and give him appropriate time to come back."

More at the link

ZaGranny

LongIslandZagFan
12-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Crap.

ZaGranny
12-06-2013, 09:37 PM
http://nesn.com/2013/12/kelly-olynyk-nearing-return-from-sprained-ankle-could-be-day-to-day-by-next-week/

Kelly Olynyk Nearing Return From Sprained Ankle, Could Be Day-to-Day By Next Week by Ben Watanabe on Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 7:01PM Share this: Fancred Email Kelly Olynk is back on the practice court and could be playing in games again by this time next week. Olynyk has been out since Nov. 22 with a sprained right ankle and will stay out at least through the weekend, Brad Stevens said prior to the Celtics’ game against the Nuggets. Olynyk went through a light workout Friday morning and will try to go lightly in practice on Saturday, according to Stevens. As of Monday, Olynyk will be upgraded to day-to-day, although Tuesday’s game in Brooklyn is probably too soon to expect Olynyk back. “Tuesday might be a stretch, might not be,” Stevens said. “I don’t know, but he’s close to being back.”

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
12-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Boston Celtics ‏@celtics 1h
Kelly Olynyk returned to practice on Monday for the first time since spraining his right ankle on November 23: http://on.nba.com/1iQjRxC

Kelly Olynyk Returns to Celtics Practice
By Marc D'Amico ● @Marc_DAmico
Celtics.com
December 9, 2013
NEW YORK – Celtics forward Kelly Olynyk returned to the practice floor today for the first time since spraining his right ankle on Nov. 23 in Atlanta. His status for Tuesday’s matchup with the Nets remains uncertain.

“I haven’t gotten the clear thumbs up from our trainers, but I would say that he’s at least, at worst, questionable for tomorrow,” head coach Brad Stevens said after the team’s practice.

Though Olynyk participated in the team’s practice at Baruch College, Stevens cautioned that the hour-long session was not very labor-intensive.

“He was back full at practice today,” said Stevens, “but we didn’t do anything live.”

It sounds as if Olynyk, who did not speak with the media, looked about as normal as he could while walking through offensive and defensive sets as the team prepared for their Tuesday night battle against the Brooklyn Nets.

More at link

Kelly tweet

Kelly Olynyk ‏@KellyOlynyk 13m
RT “@NBA: .@KellyOlynyk and @bestbetbass put their signatures on the @celtics wall in the NBA Offices during a visit http://twitpic.com/do5rn5 ”

Nice pic.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
12-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Boston Celtics news 2013: Kelly Olynyk's return could come against Brooklyn Nets, Gerald Wallace instructed by mother not to talk about former team

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2013/12/boston_celtics_news_2013_kelly.html

comments
Boston Celtics news 2013: Kelly Olynyk's return could come against Brooklyn Nets, Gerald Wallace instructed by mother not to talk about former team

Boston Celtics' Kelly Olynyk (41) blocks a shot by Brooklyn Nets' Reggie Evans (30) in the fourth quarter of a preseason NBA basketball game in Boston, Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2013. The Celtics won 101-97. (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)
Print By Jay King, MassLive.com
Follow on Twitter
on December 09, 2013 at 6:05 PM, updated December 09, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Email

Jordan Crawford named Eastern Conference Player of the Week after leading Boston Celtics to 3 straight wins
Paul Pierce: 'Good chance' to return early from injury Tuesday when Brooklyn Nets host Boston Celtics
Paul Pierce discusses frustrating Brooklyn Nets start, Doc Rivers' return to Boston, Rajon Rondo's injury, the possibility of retiring with Celtics and more
Gerald Wallace thinks Boston Celtics are playing 'almost perfect' basketball

Boston Celtics rookie Kelly Olynyk returned to practice Monday for the first time in more than two weeks and told reporters there "might be a chance" he plays Tuesday night in Brooklyn.

The big man, who suffered a sprained ankle against Indiana on Nov. 22, said he still has a little trouble jumping. He expects to make a decision for the Nets game depending on how his ankle responds to the increased activity and how it feels after pregame warmups Tuesday.

Olynyk said the ankle is not yet painless, but continues to be "trending well."

"Kelly was back full at practice today, but we didn’t do anything live, so it’s hard to say," head coach Brad Stevens said, according to ESPN Boston. "I haven’t gotten the clear thumbs up yet from our trainers. I would say that he’s, at worst, questionable for (Tuesday's game)."

More at the link.

ZaGranny

ZagNative
12-13-2013, 02:12 PM
Tweet:

Boston Celtics ‏@celtics 16m

Stevens confirms that Kelly Olynyk will return to the lineup tonight against the Knicks after battling ankle issues.

ZaGranny
12-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Kelly played 14:20. He had 4 points, 4 rebounds, 2 fouls, 3 TO's 1 block.

ONly followed the live stats.

Thanks ZN for posting this---we just got to Seattle for the BIS and I could start following the stats.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
12-17-2013, 08:49 AM
Kelly played 13:18 in his second game back from the ankle injury. He had 9 pts, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 5 fouls, 3 TO's. He shot 2/3 from the field, 2/2 from the 3, and 3/4 from the FT line. I am watching the DVR right now--saw a little of it late last night.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
12-18-2013, 07:13 PM
Celtics had a great first half, but gave it away in the second.

Kelly played 6:37 in the second quarter. He had 2 points, 1 rebound, 1 assist, 3 fouls, and 1 steal.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
12-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Kelly played 6:27--I think most in the 2nd quarter when I was watching--before I went over to the Zags.

He had 0 points, 1 rebound, 1 assist, 1 foul.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
12-22-2013, 04:44 PM
Kelly got extra minutes in the blowout loss--22:46. Hope that will help him get his groove back.

He had 6 points on 3 of 10 shooting, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 fouls, 1 TO.

Plus his long hair looks lots better than Luis Scola's! :D

ZaGranny

WBM
12-27-2013, 08:37 AM
I'm excited for tomorrow's matchup: Celtics vs Cavaliers.

Dellavedova has been playing some good basketball for the Cavs, and hopefully Olynyk gets some good minutes in this one. A little replay rivalry between the Zag and the Gael. I hope this is a good game!

ZaGranny
12-29-2013, 10:01 AM
Kelly played 14:17. He had 1 point, 7 rebounds, 1 assist, 3 fouls, 1 steal, 3 TO's and 1 block.

OT: Dellavedova played only 4:51. He had 1 point, 1 rebound, and 2 fouls.

I got to watchit all before we left for the MBB game. It was a fun game to watch.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
12-31-2013, 11:35 AM
Kelly had his best game as a pro in spite of the loss.

He played 24:23 and had a career high 21 points, tied his career high of 5 assists, had 4 rebounds, 2 fouls, 1 steal, 1 TO, 2 blocks.

I saw only the second half, but he looked really good.

From the web site:

Olynyk Scores Career High

Jordan Crawford missed the potential game-winning shot as time expired in Tuesday afternoon's game against the Hawks and the Celtics dropped a 92-91 heartbreaker at TD Garden. Boston's second unit led the way for most of the contest, with three reserves tallying double-digit scoring efforts to pace the team.
Rookie Kelly Olynyk dropped in a career-high 21 points on 8-of-11 shooting and tied his career best in assists with five. Kris Humphries earned Boston's only double-double with his 18-point, 10 rebound performance off the bench, but it wasn't enough to counter the performance of Atlanta's Paul Millsap who led the game with 34 points and 15 rebounds.

ZaGranny

ZagNative
12-31-2013, 12:06 PM
ESPN Boston good article on Kelly's trials his rooky season, "Kelly Olynyk riding out ups, downs (http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/10219783/kelly-olynyk-struggling-settle-boston-celtics)"

webspinnre
12-31-2013, 12:13 PM
http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/10219783/kelly-olynyk-struggling-settle-boston-celtics

Fixed link, nice story.

ZagNative
12-31-2013, 12:58 PM
Nice highlight video (http://www.nba.com/video/games/celtics/2013/12/31/0021300460-atl-bos-recap.nba/)from the game.

stretch
01-02-2014, 02:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crWfC6Zy64U

ZaGranny
01-03-2014, 11:34 AM
Kelly played only 7:41. He had 3 points, 1 rebound and 1 foul. I am watching the recording. In the first have he played 3 plus minutes and had 0's across the stat line, according to the announcer. What I watched, he seemed to struggle against Carlos Boozer and other Bulls' bigs.

ZaGranny

CodeCobalt
01-04-2014, 01:05 AM
He made great strides during his gonzaga redshirt season. Hopefully he can do it again in the offseason and bulk up a bit. He's already got the skills he just needs the confidence to play against all of the power in the NBA bigs. He may never be a star, but I think he'll have a great and long NBA career. And that star status isn't far away. Stay calm, play to his strengths, don't be afraid.

Hope he knows that Spokane and Gonzaga are very proud of him no matter what. He doesn't need to prove anything to us. Just go out there and have fun.

ZaGranny
01-04-2014, 09:08 AM
Kelly played 7:53. He had 3 points (0n 3 0f 4 FT shooting), 1 rebound, 3 fouls, 1 TO

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
01-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Kelly had a decent game in the loss. He played 24:22. He had 7 points, 8 rebounds, 1 assist, 5 fouls, 1 TO, 2 blocks.

ZaGranny

Birddog
01-06-2014, 04:24 AM
I was at the game. Kelly was solid if not spectacular. The Celts were overmatched as the Thunder could do no wrong. The Celtics stayed within 3 for much of the first half until with a little over a minute the Thunder opened up a 10 pt lead and from there it was all Thunder. The Celics never quit, they just couldn't match the Thunder's shooting performance.

ZaGranny
01-08-2014, 08:39 AM
Kelly played 21:18. He had 6 points, 2 rebounds, 4 assists, 6 fouls, 1 steal 4 turnovers.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
01-09-2014, 07:35 AM
Kelly played 17:57. He had 7 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 4 fouls, 1 TO.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
01-10-2014, 10:18 PM
Kelly played 12:08. He had 4 points, 3 rebounds, 3 fouls, 3 blocks.

Can hardly wait until the game tomorrow night at Portland.

ZaGrannhy

ZaGranny
01-12-2014, 03:42 PM
Kelly played 13 minutes and had 5 points and 3 rebounds in the loss to the Blazers. Se my Adventures in Portland thread in the MBB for more details and a bunch of picks.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
01-13-2014, 06:23 PM
Kelly played 21 minutes. He had 4 points, 7 rebounds, 4 fouls, 2 steals.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
01-15-2014, 06:55 PM
Celtics broke their losing streak. Kelly played just 4 minutes. He had 0 points, 2 rebounds, 1 foul 1 turnover/

Austin did not play for the Raptors.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
01-17-2014, 06:23 PM
Kelly had a fantastic game in the loss.

He played 32 minutes, had 25 points, 5 rebounds, 7 assists, 5 fouls, 2 steals 1 TO, 1 block.

He played 3 minutes with 5 fouls without picking up his 6th, which I thought was really good.

Rob played 6 minutes in the 3rd quarter and he and Kelly were on the floor at the same time. He had 3 points, 2 rebounds, and 1 block.

ZaGranny

CodeCobalt
01-17-2014, 06:57 PM
Kelly played great from what I saw which makes me pumped. Didn't see the game, so I don't know the details of if the celts wanted him to foul or not in the last minutes. His fouls may have contributed to the celtics loss. When things are that tight you can't give away points. Glad he's doing well and that Rondo is back!

Besides being a huge gonzaga fan the Celtics have been my favorite NBA team since the loss of the Sonics.

CodeCobalt
01-17-2014, 07:00 PM
and when the hell is Yahoo Sports going to get a photo for Kelly Olynyk? He's been there top performer twice but he's the only player I've ever seen on the mobile app without a picture.

ZaGranny
01-19-2014, 05:15 PM
Kelly played 16 mins. He had 9 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 5 fouls, 1 steal, 1 TO, 1 Block.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
01-21-2014, 06:13 PM
Kelly played 13 minutes. He had 6 points, 1 rebound, 1 steal.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
01-22-2014, 07:55 PM
Kelly played 14 minutes. He had 4 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 fouls.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
01-24-2014, 07:11 PM
Kelly played 16 minutes. He had 4 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 fouls, 2 TO's.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
01-26-2014, 06:48 PM
Kelly played 14 minutes. He had 3 points, 5 rebounds,2 fouls, 1 steal, 1 TO, 2 blocks.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
01-28-2014, 06:55 PM
Kelly played 19 minutes. He had 8 points, 7 rebounds, 1 assist, 4 fouls, 1 TO 1 block.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
01-29-2014, 06:44 PM
Kelly had a good game. He played 18 minutes. He had 9 points 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 turnover, 2 blocks.

I saw one sequence where he got a 3, then a 2 on the next possession, and then a block on the next defensive possession.

He lookes good.

ZaGRanny

ZaGranny
02-02-2014, 03:39 PM
Kelly played 7 minutes. He had 1 point, 2 rebounds, 2 fouls.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
02-06-2014, 10:14 AM
Kelly played 11 minutes. He had 1 point, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 3 fouls, 2 TO's.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
02-07-2014, 07:24 PM
Kelly had a great game!

He played 26 minutes. He had 11 points, 9 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 fouls, 1 steal 2 turnovers.

Lots of great tweets from Tommy Heinsohn:

Tommy Heinsohn ‏@CSNTommy 3h
"That's a good lead by Olynyk! That's using your 7 feet!" Jumps & tips a rebound back out to save the possession!

Tommy Heinsohn ‏@CSNTommy 3h
Olynyk dunks the rebound! Mike: "Ironic that Kelly should be the guy on the Super Cuts Cam." "HAHAHA!!!"

Boston Celtics ‏@celtics 2h
The Celtics lead the Kings 49-46 at halftime. Kelly Olynyk leads the C's with 11 pts and also has 6 rebs. Wallace: 6 pts, 7 rebs, 2 asts.
Collapse

Tommy Heinsohn ‏@CSNTommy 2h
Olynyk called for a personal foul: "Ugh, that's becoming automatic." (Tommy thinks Kelly is getting fouls just because he is a rookie.)

Tommy Heinsohn ‏@CSNTommy 2h
On Olynyk: "Passing is a big part of what he will bring. Working on his defense right now, though."

Tommy Heinsohn ‏@CSNTommy 1h
"Nice play! Olynyk had a chance to take the shot, and saw Bayless lining up the 3! HEAD'S UP!"

Tommy really likes Kelly--which means I really like Tommy! :-) He is an unabashed homer--I like that!

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
02-09-2014, 04:39 PM
Kelly played 22 minutes. He had 6 points, 6 rebounds, 5 fouls 1 TO.

ZaGranny

ZagNative
02-10-2014, 06:48 PM
Super game for Kelly tonight as the Celtics beat the Bucks 102-86 (http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400489640http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400489640http://), with a double-double for Kelly with14 points, 11 rebounds, and 3 assists..

ZaGranny
02-10-2014, 07:08 PM
Thanks,ZN.

He played 21:13, and had only 2 fouls and 3 turnovewrs.

ZaGranny
02-12-2014, 06:45 PM
Kelly had a fantastic game. He had a double double 15 points and 10 rebounds. He had 2 assists, 2 fouls 1 block, 1 TO.

Sad to say, I missed the game because I had mixed up the schedule in my mind with tomorrow's Lakers game.

ZaGranny

ZagNative
02-13-2014, 10:23 AM
From Twitter:
Kelly Olynyk ‏@KellyOlynyk 23m

Join me and #AmexNBA on the Rookie Roundtable today starting at 6:30pm EST! Tune it at http://bit.ly/1hen6yf

ZaGranny
02-14-2014, 08:57 PM
Kelly played 25:27. He had 9 points, 1 rebound, 2 assists, 2 fouls, 3 steals, 1 TO, 1 Block.

He looked good.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
02-15-2014, 05:32 AM
http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/02/kelly_olynyk_showing_improveme.htmlHis rookie season also has been marked by rare spells of confidence. When he gets going, he can post some big numbers. When he doesn’t, he can look somewhat lost. During the months of December and January, Olynyk only reached double figures in scoring twice, but both came during loud performances. He erupted for 21 points against Atlanta and 25 against Los Angeles. He seems to play his best when he feels right, when he starts rolling a little bit and he forgets about all the thinking and just plays.

That feeling seems to be coming more often now.

“He’s really starting to figure that out,” coach Brad Stevens said, referring to Olynyk’s knowledge of the offense. “On all the pick-and-rolls where he’s playing off, whether he’s rolling, whether he’s picking-and-popping, whether he’s playing in the seam – and then when he catches, where does he go from there? Does he drive it, does he pass it, does he go into hand-offs?

“He’s got a really good feel for the game and he’s starting to really pick up where people are around him, which is opening up opportunities for himself and others. And then I think defensively he’s just been more aggressive to the ball, and I think that that’s part of his rebounding, is purely going after the basketball and not just being a guy that gets his guy off.”

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/02/13/adam-jones-celtics-need-to-figure-out-kelly-olynyks-ceiling-before-seasons-end/

Latest Sports
Adam Jones: Celtics Need To Figure Out Kelly Olynyk’s Ceiling Before Season’s End
February 13, 2014 7:57 AM
Share on email 1
View Comments

Kelly Olynyk #41 of the Boston Celtics. (Photo by Jared Wickerham/Getty Images)
Related Tags: Adam Jones, Audio, Boston Celtics, Brandon Bass, Celtics, Danny Ainge, Kelly Olynyk, NBA, NBA Trade Deadline, Rich Keefe, Rumor Mill, The Adam Jones Show

The Adam Jones Show
Read More

Celtics Central
Shop for Celtics Gear
Buy Celtics Tickets

NBA Scoreboard
NBA Standings
Team STATS
Team Schedule
Team Roster
Team Injuries
SPORTS FAN INSIDER
Keep up with your favorite teams and athletes with daily updates.
Latest Sports News

Bruins

Red Sox

Celtics

Patriots
BOSTON (CBS) – Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs came to town Wednesday night and defeated the Boston Celtics 104-92, and with the loss the C’s fell to 4-18 against the Western Conference.
Rookie Kelly Olynyk put together his second straight double-double with 15 points and 11 rebounds, and it was the third time in his past four games scoring in double figures.
After a horrid month of January the Celtics in the year’s second month were much improved, winning4 of their 6 games heading into the All Star Break.
Even with Rajon Rondo getting healthier by the day, a playoff berth is likely not in the cards for the hometown team, so now the goal for this Celtics organization is to figure out what they have in their roster.
It’s evident that Jared Sullinger is on his way to becoming a very good NBA player, but what about Kelly Olynyk? What’s his ceiling?
Adam Jones thinks that question will be hard to figure out with Brandon Bass still on the roster.
“Trade away Brandon Bass. Nevermind the tanking aspect of it, but trade him away so Olynyk can play more and you can find out what he is. Don’t go into next season asking that question. That’s something you should be working on down the stretch and play him next to Sullinger to see what you got there,” said Adam Jones.

More at both links.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
02-19-2014, 07:52 PM
Kelly played 24 minutes. He had 7 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 5 fouls, 1 steal, 1 block.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
02-22-2014, 08:47 AM
Unfortunately Rob did not get any playing time for the Lakers. (Pau Gasosl is back from an injury.)

Kelly played 18 minutes. He had 4 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 fouls, 2 steals.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
02-23-2014, 12:10 PM
Kelly played 19 minutes. He had 4 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 fouls, 1 TO, 1 block.

I missed the last part of the game to watch the Zags, but I thought he looked pretty good in the minutes I saw.

ZaGranny

willandi
02-24-2014, 07:32 PM
Good game by Kelly tonight. 21 pts and 8 boards, 4 assists and a steal. 3 or 4 fouls.

ZaGranny
02-24-2014, 07:44 PM
Kelly had a great game . He played 28 minutes, had 21 points on 8 of 13 shooting, 4 of 4 FT, 8 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 fouls, 1 steal, 2 blocks. He looked really good.

ZaGranny

ZagNative
02-24-2014, 07:58 PM
From Masslive.com (http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/02/kelly_olynyks_big_night_not_en.html):
The rugged offense: Olynyk's first minute went like this: The rookie stole the ball from Gordon Hayward, grabbed an offensive rebound to keep a possession alive, finished said possession with a layup from Rajon Rondo, and then perfectly contested a Hayward jumper (which missed badly). Though his teammates were not exactly on fire, Olynyk hit all four of his first-half shots, had one particularly nice drive and pull-up late in the third quarter, and finished with 21 points, eight rebounds and four assists on eight of 13 shooting. Well done, Rook.

As the season continues to spiral into a miserable place, except for draft lottery purposes, Olynyk's improvements have been promising. He's never going to be a star, but he has a chance to develop into a nice role player if he continues to adjust to NBA athleticism. He just looks so much more comfortable now than he did a few months ago.

gonzagafan62
02-25-2014, 07:09 AM
Unfortunately Rob did not get any playing time for the Lakers. (Pau Gasosl is back from an injury.)

Kelly played 18 minutes. He had 4 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 fouls, 2 steals.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny, is it me or do the Lakers look better with Rob in the lineup?

Marcus
02-25-2014, 07:16 AM
Kelly's highlights from last night.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5Ct0rQ6g5M

northsidezagfan
02-25-2014, 09:42 AM
Great game Kelly!

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-26-2014, 02:49 PM
Bromance between K.O. And Rondo?

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2014/02/bromance_helps_kelly_olynyk

ZagNative
02-26-2014, 03:01 PM
Bromance between K.O. And Rondo?

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2014/02/bromance_helps_kelly_olynykCool article. Thanks for posting.

ZaGranny
02-26-2014, 06:19 PM
ZaGranny, is it me or do the Lakers look better with Rob in the lineup?

I have thought that for a couple of months. It seems to flow smoother when he is in.

ZaGranny

exclusivelee
02-27-2014, 10:48 AM
Not good

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4711199/notebook-celts-injury-roundup#more

Sprained toe sidelines Olynyk

Celtics rookie Kelly Olynyk sprained the big toe on his left foot during Saturday's loss at Sacramento, then aggravated it while trying to play through the pain on Monday in Utah. The team feared he might have broken the toe, but tests revealed a sprain that should limit the time he misses.

Olynyk wore a protective walking boot while watching Wednesday's game from the bench.

"We actually thought it was broken [Tuesday, but] got good news today," Celtics coach Brad Stevens said. "He’s going to be in a boot for at least the next couple of days. Probably unlikely [to play Saturday against the Pacers], but possibly."

Olynyk said he's not even sure how the injury happened, but he's likely in the boot for the rest of the week. When will he be back?

"Not sure," he said. "Trying to get this boot off first. Hopefully, sooner than later."

Olynyk scored 21 points despite the toe injury in Utah.

"I was just running on the outside of my foot," he said. When a reporter joked he shouldn't mess with what works, Olynyk added, "That’s true. I could try and do that. It might cause more problems."

Ben Rohrbach @brohrbach
Olynyk said he'll be in a walking boot for 5-6 days.

https://twitter.com/brohrbach/status/438877587935621120

WBM
02-27-2014, 02:46 PM
Hopefully he comes back from this stronger than he did from his sprained ankle. He was just getting into a bit of a groove!

Marcus
03-06-2014, 07:30 AM
Kellys first game back from injury was a good one. He looked like the only Celtic that showed up against Golden St. 19 Pts, 5 Reb, 3 Ast, 1 Blk. He hit 3-6 from 3pt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8u6nhHgfmE

ZagNative
03-06-2014, 09:05 AM
Good read here: "Celts Lose, but Olynyk Continues To Evolve (http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/celts-lose-olynyk-continues-evolve)".

BOSTON – No NBA team walks away from a 20-point loss with a list of things to gloat about. But if it looks deep into the depths of those 48 minutes, there’s always something positive to find.

In the case of the Boston Celtics Wednesday night, that positive was Kelly Olynyk. Olynyk, who returned from a two-game absence due to a toe injury, was Boston’s best player. In fact, he was essentially Boston’s only player at the offensive end of the court.

Olynyk racked up a game-high 19 points while the rest of his teammates struggled to handle Golden State’s hounding defense. He finished the game having accounted for 20 percent of Boston’s made field goals and 43 percent of its made 3-pointers.
Kelly Olynyk attempts a driving layup.

Kelly Olynyk returned from injury to score a game-high 19 points Wednesday night.
Brian Babineau/NBAE/Getty Images

If anyone had any worries about Olynyk losing the rhythm and aggressiveness he had found prior to his injury, those worries have been washed away. He played with the same confidence and aggressiveness that netted him 21 points in his last game on Feb. 24.

Asked why he believes Olynyk is beginning to show this heightened level of aggressiveness, Brad Stevens joked, “Well I hope it’s because we’ve told him to shoot every single second since he’s been here, and he just started listening.”

Stevens jokes, but the truth is that Olynyk is listening, and he’s following through on his orders. Olynyk will now catch the ball beyond the 3-point line and the first thing he’ll do is eye the front of the rim. He’s ready and willing to let it fly if he has a clear sightline.

Rewind to as recently as January and that simply was not the case. Olynyk was timid and slow to react. He would shoot, but he didn’t look like he wanted to shoot.

Things are different nowadays, as Olynyk is willing to admit. He experienced a difficult learning curve when he began his rookie season but that curve has since flattened out. The game has slowed down for the 7-foot Canadian.

“This far in, you can see where shots are coming,” Olynyk said Wednesday night. “You know when guys are stunting and when they’re full-rotating and that kind of stuff; who’s going to take you, who’s bluffing. So you can kind of find the seams, pick your spots. It’s a lot easier now.”

It looks a lot easier now. Olynyk looks like a completely different player, one who’s on the right track to close out his first professional campaign with a bang.

“I think he’s on the right progression. He’s on the right path,” Stevens said of Olynyk’s growth this season. “I think he’s rebounding a little bit better, as we talked about before the game. He’s shooting the 3 a little bit more freely now than he was at the start of our season.”

That being said, there is still a lot of room for Olynyk to improve.

“I think he’s still learning and growing on the defensive end of the floor and the offensive end of the floor,” said Stevens, “but he’s getting a little more aggressive offensively, shooting the ball, which is good.”

Olynyk will reap the benefits from his newfound aggressiveness, and so will the Celtics. His shooting and passing abilities make him a prime candidate for pick-and-roll offense. When he plays like he did tonight, Boston is a better team at that end of the floor. As Stevens put it, “Everything seems to run very fluidly when he’s in the game.”

Now let’s be honest, there wasn’t a whole lot of fluidity for the Boston Celtics on Wednesday night. Golden State beat them running away and strangled their offense. Such facts, however, don’t preclude the Celtics from finding a diamond in the rough.

Olynyk returned from his two-game absence and looked like a rookie who’s ready to make some noise over the final six weeks of the season.

ZaGranny
03-07-2014, 09:46 PM
Kelly played 17 minutes. He had 13 points, 7 rebounds, 6 fouls, 6 TO's, 1 block. I was able to watch some of it at the pre-game social for the lady zags at Brendan's Pub. He looked really good, but he had only 2 fouls when I left, so he must have gotten a bunch.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
03-09-2014, 04:49 PM
Kelly played 17 minutes. He had 18 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 5 fouls, 1 turnover, 2 blocks.

ZaGranny

ZagNative
03-09-2014, 04:59 PM
That was a nice game for Kelly, though he fouled out once again. He just looks like he belongs out there.

From MassLive.com (http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/03/rajon_rondo_jeff_green_boston.html):
Olynyk came off the bench to pour in 13 points by halftime. At one point midway through the second quarter, the rookie rose for a high-flying finger roll that caused me to reexamine everything I've ever felt about life. That's obviously hyperbole. But in all seriousness, Olynyk has progressed from a bumbling rookie with seemingly little chance of succeeding against NBA-level athletes, into a reliable contributor who once again promises to have a nice career. Watching him accomplish impressive things, I feel like I'm back in summer league excited about the possibilities (just definitely not as excited as back then).

Marcus
03-10-2014, 05:04 PM
I watched the game and the most evident thing to me is that Kelly has lost his hesitation. He is playing the game with way more of a free mind than he had been. It is great to see and I am excited to see what he will continue to do as a pro.

ZaGranny
03-11-2014, 10:33 PM
Kelly played 21 minutes, he had 3 points, 7 rebounds, 4 fouls, 1 steal, 1 1 TO, 1 block.

ZaGranny

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-12-2014, 05:20 PM
http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/10585764/kelly-olynyk-game-rounding-form-late

Espn Boston shows our kid some praise.

ZaGranny
03-12-2014, 09:01 PM
Kelly played 17 minutes, had 4 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 foul, 1 TO, 1 block.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
03-14-2014, 10:04 PM
Kelly played 28 minutes. He had 8 points, 10 rebounds, 4 fouls, 2 steals, 2 TO's 1 block.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
03-16-2014, 09:55 AM
March 16, 2014 in Sports
Celtics pleased with Olynyk’s progression
Jim Meehan The Spokesman-Review
Print
Email

Tags:Boston CelticsbulldogsGonzagaKelly OlynykMark Fewmen’s basketballnba

Boston Celtics president Danny Ainge stood in the middle of a tunnel near the Orleans Arena court, waiting for the postgame celebration to conclude following Gonzaga’s win over BYU in the WCC championship Tuesday night.

Ainge, who played at BYU, offered a congratulatory handshake to GU coach Mark Few and senior guard David Stockton. Few quickly asked Ainge, “How’s my guy doing?”

That would be former Zag Kelly Olynyk, who was drafted 13th overall by Dallas and promptly traded to the Celtics. Olynyk is averaging 7.5 points and 5 rebounds in his rookie season, but he’s at 11.3 points and 6.9 rebounds in his last 10 games.

“He’s been great,” Ainge said. “He’s learning. He’s a smart kid. He’s learning to shoot the ball, getting physically stronger and learning what the NBA game is all about.

“He’s had a terrific rookie year. Every rookie has an adjustment period and he’s had his. The biggest challenge was at the defensive end and learning the defensive schemes.”

A year ago at this time, Olynyk had 21 points and 12 rebounds in a 65-51 championship-game win over Saint Mary’s for the fourth of his five career double-doubles.

Great to hear!

ZaGranny

WBM
03-16-2014, 07:15 PM
March 16, 2014 in Sports
Celtics pleased with Olynyk’s progression
Jim Meehan The Spokesman-Review
Print
Email

Tags:Boston CelticsbulldogsGonzagaKelly OlynykMark Fewmen’s basketballnba

Boston Celtics president Danny Ainge stood in the middle of a tunnel near the Orleans Arena court, waiting for the postgame celebration to conclude following Gonzaga’s win over BYU in the WCC championship Tuesday night.

Ainge, who played at BYU, offered a congratulatory handshake to GU coach Mark Few and senior guard David Stockton. Few quickly asked Ainge, “How’s my guy doing?”

That would be former Zag Kelly Olynyk, who was drafted 13th overall by Dallas and promptly traded to the Celtics. Olynyk is averaging 7.5 points and 5 rebounds in his rookie season, but he’s at 11.3 points and 6.9 rebounds in his last 10 games.

“He’s been great,” Ainge said. “He’s learning. He’s a smart kid. He’s learning to shoot the ball, getting physically stronger and learning what the NBA game is all about.

“He’s had a terrific rookie year. Every rookie has an adjustment period and he’s had his. The biggest challenge was at the defensive end and learning the defensive schemes.”

A year ago at this time, Olynyk had 21 points and 12 rebounds in a 65-51 championship-game win over Saint Mary’s for the fourth of his five career double-doubles.

Great to hear!

ZaGranny

Thanks for sharing that, ZaGranny!

ZaGranny
03-17-2014, 09:59 AM
Overtime thriller! Celtics came back from a deficit. Not sure why Kelly played only 16 minutes. He had 9 points, 1 rebound, 1 assist, 3 fouls, 2 TO's, 1 block.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
03-17-2014, 07:10 PM
Celtics fought back from a deficit but fell just short.

Kelly had a good game--almost a double double.

He played 27 minutes, had 16 points on 6 of 11 shooting, 1 of 4 FT shooting, 9 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 fouls, 1 steal, 1 turnover.

ZaGranny

willandi
03-17-2014, 07:25 PM
Celtics fought back from a deficit but fell just short.

Kelly had a good game--almost a double double.

He played 27 minutes, had 16 points on 6 of 11 shooting, 1 of 4 FT shooting, 9 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 fouls, 1 steal, 1 turnover.

ZaGranny

Followed online with play by play. When Kelly came in with 4:15 left in the 3rd, he had 2 points and only 1-2 boards. Most of his production was last 16 minutes of the game.

ZaGranny
03-17-2014, 07:47 PM
Tommy Heinsohn ‏@CSNTommy 19m
"This guy was kind of an unsung hero ... Kelly Olynyk wins the #TommyAward" with 16 points and 9 boards! #CelticsTalk

Every game he does a Tommy award. I think this is Kelly's first, but I wouldn't swear to it.

ZaGranny

Ekrub
03-17-2014, 08:48 PM
Tommy Heinsohn ‏@CSNTommy 19m
"This guy was kind of an unsung hero ... Kelly Olynyk wins the #TommyAward" with 16 points and 9 boards! #CelticsTalk

Every game he does a Tommy award. I think this is Kelly's first, but I wouldn't swear to it.

ZaGranny

Pretty sure he has had a few other tommy awards

Edited to add: he has had 7 tommyawards on the season

webspinnre
03-18-2014, 06:54 AM
The 2 fouls is also impressive, as that's been one of his weaknesses this year.

ZaGranny
03-19-2014, 06:47 PM
Kelly played 20 minutes. He had 10 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 fouls, 1 TO, 1 block.

ZaGranny

ZagNative
03-20-2014, 09:35 AM
How Kelly Olynyk found the flow with his three-point jump shot (http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/3/20/5528534/how-kelly-olynyk-has-found-the-flow-with-his-three-point-jumper)

Rookie center Kelly Olynyk struggled from three-point range to start the season, but he has since become a consistent threat. How has he done it?

Throughout the season, "flow" has been Kelly Olynyk's mantra when describing his style as an NBA player. The flow, or the zone, allows players to slow the game down and let everything come naturally.

Olynyk's constant goal this year has been to find the flow, but it hasn't been such a smooth journey. The adjustment from college to the pros isn't very easy, plus he was sidelined for nearly a month due to a sprained right ankle. However, he is now healthy and on an upward trend to close the year.

Since All-Star Weekend, the Boston Celtics rookie big man has been totally in the zone. Olynyk's having the best stretch of his young career and he's quickly becoming a fan favorite because his production on the court is starting to match his long, free-flowing hair.

ZaGranny
03-22-2014, 09:26 AM
Kelly played 16 minutes. He had 4 points, 4 rebounds, 6 fouls, 1 TO.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
03-25-2014, 04:38 PM
PLAYING GOAL BALL.

http://www.wcvb.com/news/celtics-stars-learn-whole-new-game-of-skill/25146044#!BosQw

ZAGRANNY

ZaGranny
03-26-2014, 07:55 PM
Kelly played 21 minutes. He had 7 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 foul, 3 steals, 2 TO, 1 block.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
03-29-2014, 08:55 AM
Kelly played 19 minutes. He had 10 points, 2 rebounds, 3 fouls, 1 steal, 1 TO, 1 block.

He looked good when I saw him play--I was going back and forth from the Michigan game.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
03-30-2014, 06:24 PM
Kelly played 17 minutes. He had 7 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 fouls, 2 TO's.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
03-31-2014, 07:09 PM
Kelly played 18 minutes. He had 7 points, 2 fouls, 4 TO's, 1 block.

ZaGranny

WBM
04-01-2014, 09:59 AM
Kelly played 18 minutes. He had 7 points, 2 fouls, 4 TO's, 1 block.

ZaGranny

Certainly doesn't mean a ton, but he was also the only Celtic with a positive +/- (+10 for Kelly)

ZaGranny
04-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Kelly played 20 minutes. He had 14 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 5 fouls, 1 steal, 2 turnovers and a block.

He looked good when he was in--but it was mostly when the game was out of reach.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
04-05-2014, 09:14 AM
Kelly played 19 minutes. He had 14 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 fouls, 1 TO, 1 block.

He looked really good.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
04-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Kelly played 24 minutes. He had 11 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 fouls, 2 blocks.

He had some really great hustle plays on D.

He was getting mugged by Rodney Stuckey all game--it was even noted by the Pistons announcers.

There were a lot of fouls on the Pistons that were not called.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
04-10-2014, 08:31 AM
Kelly played 115 minutes. He had 5 points, 9 rebounds, 1 assist, 3 fouls, 1 TO, 1 block.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
04-12-2014, 08:24 AM
Kelly played 22 minutes. He had 12 points, 2 rebounds, 2 fouls, 2 TO's.

ZaGranny

Mantua
04-12-2014, 02:19 PM
Granny,

Thank you so much for all the postings. I read everything that you post. I love the pictures and the personal anecdotes. You are the very best!

Do you have any idea when the Celts will make a decision about keeping Kelly? I know they are rebuilding and will make changes at season's end. The Boston announcers and the fans seem to like him a lot. I hope he's found a home for awhile.

ZaGranny
04-12-2014, 06:10 PM
Granny,

Thank you so much for all the postings. I read everything that you post. I love the pictures and the personal anecdotes. You are the very best!

Do you have any idea when the Celts will make a decision about keeping Kelly? I know they are rebuilding and will make changes at season's end. The Boston announcers and the fans seem to like him a lot. I hope he's found a home for awhile.

Thanks!

I am no expert--but I am guessing that they will keep him through next year--his salary is guaranteed through then, then the next 2 years are optional. So since he has steadily progressed, and the fans like him, and by the way he had an incredible game tonight in Cleveland--I am guessing they won't want to throw that money away. Also the Celtics have really promoted him through the year. As Tommy Heinsohn said fairly early "________ won't sell tickets, or jerseys. Kelly will!" Paraphrased.

His stats tonight in the 12 point win (but really a blowout) over the Cavs:

38 minutes, 25 points (tied with his best) , 12 rebounds ( his third double double) , 3 assists, 6 fouls, 4 TO's.

WBM
04-12-2014, 06:42 PM

I also am no expert, but I think its a pretty good sign that he's one of just 4-5 players on the current roster that you can buy a jersey for.

http://www.celticsstore.com/imgcache/product/resized/000/462/481/catl/00462481-696916_290.png?k=894f06ad&pid=462481&s=catl&sn=celticsstore

ZaGranny
04-12-2014, 06:48 PM
I also am no expert, but I think its a pretty good sign that he's one of just 4-5 players on the current roster that you can buy a jersey for.

http://www.celticsstore.com/imgcache/product/resized/000/462/481/catl/00462481-696916_290.png?k=894f06ad&pid=462481&s=catl&sn=celticsstore

And I just bought 1 today, so I am betting on Kelly!

ZaGranny

WBM
04-12-2014, 07:03 PM
And I just bought 1 today, so I am betting on Kelly!

ZaGranny

Nice! I have the home and away versions hanging in my office right now =D

ZaGranny
04-12-2014, 07:35 PM
I plan to wear my away jersey next year when he plays in Portland again. See how positive I am!

ZaGranny

VinnyZag
04-14-2014, 06:01 PM
Nice story in the Boston Globe (http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/04/13/celtics-kelly-olynyk-phil-pressey-bonding-shining/Z6C5vRfeeYK0H8jD7AZsaI/story.html) about Olynyk and fellow rookie Phil Pressey.

Olynyk is rather unassuming about his talent but he is a tireless worker. He wowed the crowd and those Celtics faithful when he launched a Dirk Nowitzki-like, one-legged stepback jumper to beat the shot clock in the third quarter. Olynyk has drawn comparisons to the perennial All-Star because of his height and perimeter shooting ability and he is beginning to show flashes of that potential.

ZaGranny
04-14-2014, 06:17 PM
Kelly played 35 minutes. He had a great game--28 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 fouls, 2 TO's, 2 blocks.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
04-16-2014, 06:41 PM
What a finish for Kelly! He played 29 minutes (due to a lot of fouls called bogus by Tommy Heinsohn) He had 24 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, 5 fouls, 1 steal, 1 T), 1 block.

From the website:

Kelly Olynyk notched his third consecutive game with 22 points or more, finishing with team highs in points (24) and rebounds (seven) to go with five assists.

ZaGranny

zagfan24
04-17-2014, 04:47 AM
Kelly really took over near the end of the season. Granted, there are often a few players sitting at on both sides at this point in the year, but it is still really impressive how he developed over the year. I think the great finish will help boost his confidence and the team's confidence in him moving forward. Congrats Kelly on a great rookie year!