PDA

View Full Version : OT: Kelly and the Celtics vs. the Raptors tonight at 4:00 PM PDT

ZaGranny
10-30-2013, 12:16 PM
Pn NBA League pass and TSN.

Nice article:

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/olynyks-dreams-come-true-hometown

Olynyk's Dreams Come True in Hometown

TORONTO – The first breath Kelly Olynyk ever took was that of Toronto air. On April 19, 1991, Ken and Arlene Olynyk welcomed their future basketball star into the world in one of Canada’s greatest cities.

Kelly was essentially born and raised in Toronto. This was his home for the first 12 years of his life. This was where his lifelong dreams were molded.

The Toronto Raptors were founded in 1995, just in time for Olynyk to idolize them as he began to recognize what basketball even was. The youngster grew up bleeding red and purple (the team’s former colors) as he followed every dribble the Raptors took.

“I was a huge fan,” Olynyk said of the Raptors. “I would go any time I could, any time I was allowed to stay up. When I was younger, I used to always watch the games on TV, and then go outside at halftime and start practicing stuff I saw. I was a die-hard fan. I loved it.”

Kelly Olynyk will play his first regular season NBA game tonight in his hometown of Toronto.
NBAE/Getty Images
Fortunately for Olynyk, and in turn the Celtics, so did his parents. They loved the Raptors as much as Kelly did, which worked in his favor for those late nights of watching basketball.

“My mom was a scorekeeper ever since the Raptors started,” said Olynyk. “Until we left town (in 2003-04), she was the head scorekeeper for the Raptors, and then my dad actually worked with the Raptors for one year when Lenny Wilkens was the head coach.”

Kelly’s father, Ken, has deep basketball roots in the city of Toronto. He was the head basketball coach at the University of Toronto for more than a decade, leading the team to a 128-92 record over 13 seasons. Fourteen of the program’s 29 playoff victories were attained under the watchful eye of Ken.

Athletes who are born into a coach’s family are always blessed with a head start. They’re taught to play the game properly from a very young age, oftentimes leading to what many term a “high basketball IQ.”

But just because someone is properly instructed doesn’t mean that person wants to play the game. Kelly had to learn to love basketball, and he did so through the Raptors.

“It’s like your goals, aspirations, dreams… it’s right in your backyard,” Olynyk explained. “I’m sure every kid in Boston watched the Celtics play, or out in L.A. watched the Clippers or Lakers, or now in Miami. It’s all about that. That kind of gives kids the dreams, aspirations, goals for their life and it definitely gave me mine.”

More at the link

ZaGranny

Zagdawg
10-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Carving pumpkins with my son and watching old Zag play some ball-- great way to spend the evening!!

exclusivelee
10-30-2013, 03:15 PM
Game just started.

Channel 630 on DirecTV

Kelly not starting

Zagdawg
10-30-2013, 03:25 PM
Kelly just got in now.

exclusivelee
10-30-2013, 03:32 PM
Kelly getting no touches

exclusivelee
10-30-2013, 03:37 PM
Finally got a touch and missed a 3

exclusivelee
10-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Got good position and made a reverse layup

Zagdawg
10-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Nice seal and first to points for Kelly underneath.

gu03alum
10-30-2013, 04:14 PM
Is anybody else having trouble with NBA league pass. I can't get it to play.

DixieZag
10-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Fantastic article Zagranny.

As another one who spent part of my youth growing up in Toronto - it is an amazing city, what a thrill for Kelly. I got goosebumps thinking about it.

Hope he plays well.

Edit to add: Kevin would likely have some of the same feelings. Newmarket is only thirty miles due north, very much a suburb and I am positive he has spent quite a bit of time downtown.

exclusivelee
10-30-2013, 05:43 PM
Well, let's hope Kelly performs better in his 2nd game

ZaGranny
10-30-2013, 05:59 PM
Kelly played 16:18. He had 4 points on 2 out of 5 shooting, 2 fouls (like the way he cleaned that up after 2 early in the game), and 3 fouls. To quote his dad--"He did OK for his first NBA game".

Loved seeing the interview with Ken and Arline Olynyk, and seeing Arline give her piercing whistle when Kelly entered the game.

ZaGranny