PDA

View Full Version : Marquette transfer Jameel McKay (6'8 PF) Visiting Next Weekend

exclusivelee
10-29-2013, 09:44 AM
Brad Winton ‏@JucoRecruiting
Marquette transfer Jameel McKay will visit Gonzaga next weekend and Iowa State the following weekend.
10:32 AM - 29 Oct 13 (https://twitter.com/JucoRecruiting/status/395241766183391232)

Nearly 2 weeks ago, he decided to leave Marquette before playing a game there:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24097254/jc-transfer-jameel-mckay-leaves-marquette-before-playing-a-game

Jameel McKay will never play a game for Marquette.

With less than a month remaining until the start of the season, the junior forward announced on his Twitter that he was leaving Marquette.

McKay, a 6-foot-8 power forward, transferred to Marquette after starring at Indiana Hills Community College (Iowa). He was ranked the No. 3 junior college prospect in the country by Brad Winton of JucoRecruiting.com and was considered a solid get for the Golden Eagles. He's a high-level rebounder who could have helped on the glass.

The reasons for his departure are unclear.

After redshirting this season, He would have 2 years of eligibility remaining

jazzdelmar
10-29-2013, 09:56 AM
nice, but alarm bells to some extent....

Hoopaholic
10-29-2013, 09:57 AM
I have faith in the staff to vett out any team issues, personal issues etc..........interesting prospect

CanadianZagFan
10-29-2013, 09:58 AM
Interesting....

MTZag03
10-29-2013, 10:09 AM
So he would be eligible next year? The next few weeks will be interesting.

exclusivelee
10-29-2013, 10:10 AM
nice, but alarm bells to some extent....

Question is whether this means Gonzaga is no longer in the Reid Travis sweepstakes

jazzdelmar
10-29-2013, 10:14 AM
Question is whether this means Gonzaga is no longer in the Reid Travis sweepstakes

that, too......schollies are flying out these days.....assuming they hold one for sabonis it seems theyve quit on reid or gotten some back channel news

sharpzag
10-29-2013, 10:18 AM
that, too......schollies are flying out these days.....assuming they hold one for sabonis it seems theyve quit on reid or gotten some back channel news

Reid will decide Nov 8th? So, might as well have this guy visit, right? If Reid commits, no offer.

#1bulldogfan
10-29-2013, 10:20 AM
or their just covering all bases in just case

SageOfZagville
10-29-2013, 11:39 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1815668-jameel-mckay-what-his-decision-to-transfer-means-for-golden-eagles-success

Mumblingbulldog
10-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Reid will decide Nov 8th? So, might as well have this guy visit, right? If Reid commits, no offer.

This seems like the most logical conclusion to me.

Kiddwell
10-29-2013, 11:58 AM
GU vs. Iowa State on this one. Seems we have a great chance, if Jameel has no reservations about leaving the Midwest. (A particularly great chance since GU has put three Bigs in the NBA the last two seasons.)

Wow, amazing how recruiting news can be frozen in time for weeks on end then, whammo, all manner of surprising developments.

:]

Zagdawg
10-29-2013, 12:05 PM
Some video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eay753ze5QQ

Zagdawg
10-29-2013, 12:09 PM
17.8 pts and 10.5 rbs per game

exclusivelee
10-29-2013, 12:16 PM
Some video

a lot to like in that video.

Zagdawg
10-29-2013, 12:29 PM
He can finish through contact and if he is anywhere near the rim he is dunking it-- I like that. He doesn't shoot 3's (as in zero attempted). He can can rebound.

He runs the floor and has some solid post moves.

The only thing that I am concerned about is his eligibility -- he is a junior-- (played 2 years cc ball)-- would he need to sit this year so that he can play his final senior year since the school year has already started-- can he enroll midyear and play immedaitely ? or what does his timetable look like?

Any experts out there?

cjm720
10-29-2013, 12:39 PM
Some video

Like what I see...I wonder if it's down to just us and Iowa State? I wonder if we reached out or was it the other way around. He would be a very nice contributed from day 1.

Goshzagit
10-29-2013, 12:56 PM
He was projected as 5th on the depth chart at Marquette, yet with potential to be a star down the road. A long, athletic, rebounding machine. Could be exactly what this team needs to remain competitive vs BIG teams i.e. 15 mins of energy, bouncy, take a couple fouls, run the floor, finish, etc. Who cares about running precise plays while he's giving our front court players a breather...he's an instinctual player who can provide a spark and serviceable minutes, while cleaning up the glass and hitting the open court with our guards.

Dower and Karnowski are not game-changers on the glass, by any stitch, and Coach Few has eluded to this all pre-season, we MUST do a better job rebounding and this guy could certainly help in that arena. As of right now, our back-up post player are Edwards and Barham. That doesn't make long-term sense. Yes, Barham will be fun to watch in transition at the 4 and Edwards growth will be nice to see, yet neither can realistically back-up the Forward and Center position for an entire season, let alone post-season. We need another and this could be a last minute pick-up worth gambling on...

Having said all that,

The reason for McKay's decision to transfer remains unclear. Unwillingness to play the center positions and poor grades have been rumored.

sittingon50
10-29-2013, 12:58 PM
Well, it looks like he's got the hair.

LongIslandZagFan
10-29-2013, 01:00 PM
or their just covering all bases in just case

If I were to venture a guess... This. Look, they are in a recruiting battle with Duke. You'd best have a plan B just in case.

TravelinZag
10-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Presume McKay could enroll for second semester and play beginning December 2014 or January 2015 depending on the school.

Goshzagit
10-29-2013, 01:11 PM
Presume McKay could enroll for second semester and play beginning December 2014 or January 2015 depending on the school.

Unless he enrolls in a Quarter System school such as Santa Clara or an Oregon, then he could be eligible immediately. I believe GU and ISU are both semester systems.

Mark Miller posted,
Sources indicate Iowa State among the leaders for former Milw. Pulaski and Indian Hills forward Jameel McKay.

Also, Iowa State staff is in Milwaukee today to visit/see Jameel, per a source.

Jon Rothstein:
Jameel McKay will visit Iowa State during weekend of 11/15-17 when Cyclones host Nat'l runner-up Michigan, per a source.

I'm not certain he's planning to play at all this year? Maybe reclassify as 2014, is that possible?

ZagsGoZags
10-29-2013, 01:15 PM
The video shows how smooth he can be against Comm College defenders - I would love to see how it works out against D1 defenders, particularly ranked teams.
What is sure is he never gives up a chance for a rebound. He almost never takes a shot in the paint without following it in - that is great quickness and reflexes for a big man

come on Reid T., solve this problem for us next week.

zagamatic
10-29-2013, 01:28 PM
Does anyone know whether or not he'd be able to play THIS YEAR since he's a JUCO transfer that hasn't played any D-1 ball?

sittingon50
10-29-2013, 02:35 PM
Only a guess, but I wouldn't think so if he was enrolled & going to classes at Marquette.

75Zag
10-29-2013, 06:13 PM
I respect the GU staff on their recruiting decisions and - as noted elsewhere - I am happy to have GU do whatever it takes to get to the Final Four, but I hope they are very careful on this one.

Go Bulldogs!

DixieZag
10-29-2013, 06:42 PM
I suppose this is where Few's theory about "last chance" comes into play.

He has the size and it is tough the turn away a quality big.

KStyles
10-29-2013, 07:00 PM
Does anyone know whether or not he'd be able to play THIS YEAR since he's a JUCO transfer that hasn't played any D-1 ball?

Only a guess, but I wouldn't think so if he was enrolled & going to classes at Marquette.

Pretty sure you're right, 50 (and TravelinZag mentioned the same thing as well). According to this article (http://painttouches.com/2013/10/24/mckay-sheds-light-on-decision-to-transfer-from-marquette/), he's finishing out this semester at Marquette. Assuming he transfers over winter break, he'll come in to his new school as a 4-4 transfer student. As a transfer student, he'd be eligible next year at winter break (late Dec. 2014, at GU) after completing a year in residence. Of course, that's barring any hardship waivers, etc.

Goshzagit
10-29-2013, 08:23 PM
Pretty sure you're right, 50 (and TravelinZag mentioned the same thing as well). According to this article (http://painttouches.com/2013/10/24/mckay-sheds-light-on-decision-to-transfer-from-marquette/), he's finishing out this semester at Marquette. Assuming he transfers over winter break, he'll come in to his new school as a 4-4 transfer student. As a transfer student, he'd be eligible next year at winter break (late Dec. 2014, at GU) after completing a year in residence. Of course, that's barring any hardship waivers, etc.

Based on this breakdown, assuming all things equal and other prospects in considering, he is SO not worth a scholarship.

Next winter break? really? then what, 1.5 seasons of unproven talent(s) trying to find a niche...no thanks.

Better spent on a freshman big or true JUCO with 2+ seasons of eligibility...

jazzdelmar
10-30-2013, 03:56 AM
Based on this breakdown, assuming all things equal and other prospects in considering, he is SO not worth a scholarship.

Next winter break? really? then what, 1.5 seasons of unproven talent(s) trying to find a niche...no thanks.

+1

SWZag
10-30-2013, 04:43 AM
Wow, would definitely be fun to watch. Maybe it's the hair and build, but he reminds me of Ronny. I love the attack of the basket.

Indian Hills is one of the top JCs in the country. They could be a number of small league D1 schools. Think College of Southern Idaho. Two teammates from Indian Hills are attending Iowa State, so that may be a bit of a pull for him.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8480/8200592552_d925bdf677.jpg
Jameel McKay - Number 1 as a Sophomore

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7005/6689803079_c10c287a60_z.jpg
Jameel McKay - Number 35 as a Freshman

SWZag

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-30-2013, 05:36 AM

Pangos / Bell / Coleman / ShemNasty will be in their final season, and the team may be just one powerful, athletic, bouncy power forward away from greatness...all that plus Wiltjer and a dynamic freshmen class next year...nice

Why is a kid who does what he needs to do to earn an opportunity and is (hopefully) deemed eligible by the NCAA after meeting all transfer guidelines not worth giving a chance to?! Could be beyond Sweet.....

thespywhozaggedme
10-30-2013, 05:56 AM
Well you better hurry up and forward your post to Coach Few to let him know that you don't agree with his interest in this guy before he makes a colossal mistake and offers him a schollie. Few's so lucky to have you

jazzdelmar
10-30-2013, 06:00 AM
We could certainly use him this season, is the consensus point I think. Next year is getting as crowded as a BMT express outta the city at 5:05 PM on a Friday in August. I only recently discovered the Subway sandwich is named for the venerable rail line on which I misspent many youthful hours. Shame on me on both counts.

Goshzagit
10-30-2013, 06:22 AM
Very curious WHY he didn't just redshirt at Marquette instead of burning an entire 1/2 season of potential PT.

He'll be sitting out a year wherever he ends up, which wouldn't allow him to suit up until December 2014 AND subsequently, allow him 1.5 yrs of eligibility.

Maybe he felt PT was an issue; however, the 4 post players in front of him are all Seniors. Wide-open front court next season from the get go. Or maybe after 2 weeks of practices he realized his game wasn't quite up to snuff at this level -- or just not good enough.

Who knows 'why' yet doesn't add up. There are rumblings on the Marquette board he wanted to focus on playing the Wing/SF as he felt this was his best chance at next level, and had an unwillingness to play down low. Again, speculation, yet either way, it doesn't really make much sense, imo.

Jameel's HS GPA was 1.6 (you can look that up) and he didn't fair much better in JUCO, many are wondering how he was able to enroll at Marquette in the first place, yet Buzz Williams has rep for always finding a way...

I agree with Jazz, if he was able to play this season, then by all means...give him a go and it makes reasonable sense for BOTH parties.

That said, there is much more to this story and Jameel making this sudden decision 2 weeks before their first game. Losing a 1/2 of season, when he only has 2 to begin with, and leaving a situation that set up perfectly for him by next season, whether he sat out this year or not.

So yes, I personally don't think he's worth it, especially given the talent on the radar and the players on the roster. If you want to add an athletic, bouncy, raw player to the mix for next yr, then there is always another JUCO out there who has more time available, can play immediately...

Not to mention he'd be holding a valuable schollie from December of this year until December of next year -- talk about restrictions and the ultimate gamble on a player who can really only give you only one true/full season.

#redflags #1yrwonders #notworththerisk

bigblahla
10-30-2013, 06:30 AM
I find it doubtful he is GU bound, his choice. The question is why are we chasing a Juco unless Travis is off the board and staff knows it. Remember Tommy's affinity for Euros it will come into play.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Kiddwell
10-30-2013, 06:34 AM
Only a year and a half of eligibility is a bit off-putting. Didn't realize that initially. Maybe a back-up plan of a back-up plan? Euros, if available, then maybe a JUCO.

:[

TravelinZag
10-30-2013, 06:48 AM
Slow down, everyone. So much we don't know, and supposedly, Jameel is coming for a visit. Assume one possible scenario: Travis chooses a school other than GU, Karno has a fantastic year and declares for the draft. A potential dream season and lineup for 2014-15 goes up in smoke for lack of a talented front court with depth. Since this COULD happen, staff has to prepare for it, and is about out of 2014 options. Looks like they're examining all of them, just in case. Isn't that what we want them to do? You can't exercise the options you don't create and nurture.

Birddog
10-30-2013, 07:08 AM
Slow down, everyone. So much we don't know, and supposedly, Jameel is coming for a visit. Assume one possible scenario: Travis chooses a school other than GU, Karno has a fantastic year and declares for the draft. A potential dream season and lineup for 2014-15 goes up in smoke for lack of a talented front court with depth. Since this COULD happen, staff has to prepare for it, and is about out of 2014 options. Looks like they're examining all of them, just in case. Isn't that what we want them to do? You can't exercise the options you don't create and nurture.

Not enough "panic" in your scenario. You need to get in touch with your feminine side and become more emotional.

TravelinZag
10-30-2013, 07:15 AM
Not enough "panic" in your scenario. You need to get in touch with your feminine side and become more emotional.

Hey Birddog, I did use the word "nurture"! The dream of '14-15 is plenty emotional, as is the threat w/o some bigs. There's time, just not a lot of choices. Fewer, if knee-jerk comments based on little or no information poison the well. That is what I was attempting to cool down.

ZaGranny
10-30-2013, 10:16 AM
Isn't this the weekend when the team plays the "secret scrimmage" in Phoenix vs. Texas? Seems odd that he would visit when team (except possibly transfers) and coaches will be gone.

I searched the thread, and the above info is now correct.

ZaGranny

exclusivelee
10-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Isn't this the weekend when the team plays the "secret scrimmage" in Phoenix vs. Texas? Seems odd that he would visit when team (except possibly transfers) and coaches will be gone.

I searched the thread, and the above info is now correct.

ZaGranny

Jameel McKay is visiting Gonzaga on the weekend of November 9 then Iowa State on the weekend of November 16

Zagdawg
10-30-2013, 11:22 AM
So he will be here for the Bryant game-- get to see the Zags and the Kennel Club in action.

exclusivelee
10-30-2013, 12:36 PM
And 2015 6'4 Seattle SG Dejounte Murray is visiting for the Bryant game too

exclusivelee
10-30-2013, 07:13 PM

Disappointed that my suspicions were correct

Reborn
10-30-2013, 07:48 PM
Just finished doing some reading about Mr. McKay. He is outstanding. This would be a big catch if we land him. He was projected to be a starter at Marquette, which says a lot to me. He was the 3rd highest rated JUCO player in the country. Could this possibly be our Kuso 2 that the board talked about last summer?

bigblahla
10-30-2013, 08:43 PM
Just finished doing some reading about Mr. McKay. He is outstanding. This would be a big catch if we land him. He was projected to be a starter at Marquette, which says a lot to me. He was the 3rd highest rated JUCO player in the country. Could this possibly be our Kuso 2 that the board talked about last summer?

Did you read the part where he wants to play the 3 or how two of his Juco teammates are going to Iowa St?

Fred Hoiberg is the pied piper and I think McKay will be dancing to his tune.

IMO Staff knew Travis was a no go and reached out as McKay became available. The question is can he be content playing the 4 because unless Coach is recruiting over the current roster there are no minutes available at the 3 next season. If he comes to GU fantastic but I think he's going to Iowa St.

I expect to see Luke Meikle at the 4 next season doing a good job relieving Wiltjer.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Reborn
10-31-2013, 07:50 AM
Did you read the part where he wants to play the 3 or how two of his Juco teammates are going to Iowa St?

Yes, I did. I also believe that if he chooses to play at Gonzaga that he will be a 4. One great thing about playing for Mark Few is that he is very creative in developing players who are 4's and want to be 3's. All you need to do is see how successful Ellias Harris was at the 4. Ellias had so much freedom to receive the ball wherever he wanted it. He played successfully both inside and out. Sometimes he played like a 4 and sometimes like a 3. I think that there is an interest by both Few and McKay that McKay becomes a Zag. At this point in the process we can not say it's anything more than an interest. We'll see where it ends up. It's a process. I personally feel that if McKay ends up at GU that it's a very good catch.

HenneZag
10-31-2013, 08:17 AM
Maybe I don't fully understand the scholarship situation. McKay seems like a solid player and we are in definite need for a PF but I don't want him at the expense of a guy like Sabonis that would potentially be a 3-4 year player @ GU. I know scholarships seem to work themselves out at some point but im hoping we hear news regarding Sabonis sometime in the near future, because as of now it just "rumor" no real solid evidence backing it.

thespywhozaggedme
10-31-2013, 09:11 AM
I recently read on some Euro hoops sight that Sabonis is up to 6'11 now. The guys a flat out stud and is a better prospect than Karno and Travis. Sabonis would be a Mickey Dees AA if he played high school ball in the states.
Maybe I don't fully understand the scholarship situation. McKay seems like a solid player and we are in definite need for a PF but I don't want him at the expense of a guy like Sabonis that would potentially be a 3-4 year player @ GU. I know scholarships seem to work themselves out at some point but im hoping we hear news regarding Sabonis sometime in the near future, because as of now it just "rumor" no real solid evidence backing it.

Zagdawg
10-31-2013, 09:17 AM
But if Sabonis commits.........won't someone in the student section need to go out and buy a new flag to wave at the home games? ;)

He would be a solid get and help with our Euro pipeline. Ok Tommy get er done for us.

Go Zags

DixieZag
10-31-2013, 09:43 PM
I recently read on some Euro hoops sight that Sabonis is up to 6'11 now. The guys a flat out stud and is a better prospect than Karno and Travis. Sabonis would be a Mickey Dees AA if he played high school ball in the states.

6'11? Wow, I hope so. Boy we would be getting spoiled with very big bigs.

So question about McKay from those that know. Is it possible that Iowa State was his presumed destination until he heard we were interested in him? Nothing wrong with the Iowa State program, at all, but I think we're generally on another level. It's possible that his JUCO buddies going to Iowa State would not have made it here. Perhaps having the proposition of playing at GU is all he needs to pull away and come here. Perhaps he would be more excited about playing the four when he realizes we have put three bigs into the NBA of late, probably two more in the very near future.

That would likely turn my head if I were him.

Being a probable starter at Marquette would seem to be some good bona fides that he would be a huge asset here. As for scholarships, we certainly want to have one available for Sabonis - - but when the super talent makes it self available. . . so do the scholarships, not pretty, but it's reality.

SWZag
11-01-2013, 12:20 AM
McKay sheds light on decision to transfer from Marquette (http://painttouches.com/2013/10/24/mckay-sheds-light-on-decision-to-transfer-from-marquette/)

“(It was) just disagreements on things, is as simple as I can put it,” McKay told Paint Touches. “Playing out of position was a part of it. I wasn’t comfortable (in the role they had him in).”

And he’ll have his pick of suitors. McKay told Paint Touches that he has heard from the following schools: Florida, Arizona, Iowa State, Gonzaga, Louisville, Arkansas, Arizona State, San Diego State, Minnesota, Miami, Tennessee, Nebraska, Texas Tech, Wichita State, UNLV and UCLA.

SWZag

northsidezagfan
11-01-2013, 04:14 AM
No Oregon on that list? That's a first this year.

MTZag03
11-01-2013, 06:26 AM

they already snagged all the power forwards they could get

Baldwinzag
11-01-2013, 07:39 AM

Marquette was hopeful McKay could be a probable starter in their frontcourt, especially considering he was a JUCO all-american at his position, yet after a few weeks of practices, he was projected a the 5th big on the depth chart -- there are 4 Senior front court above him -- and that was only part of the reason.

I'm not sure where people heard he was 'projected' to start, maybe a bleacher-report article, perhaps?

A primary reason Jameel was suddenly 5th off the depth chart is/was his unwillingness to play down low -- which has been well-documented on this board and now publicly.

As its been stated, Jameel believes his future NBA position is SF, along the lines of Kawhi Leonard for San Antonio.

Mckay is a lengthy, highly athletic, PF, YET only around 200 lbs. A terrific nose for the ball off rebounds and very bouncy around the rim.

A ton of natural tools and Marquette wanted him down low, even mixing it up as a Center. Marquette's offense, as you've seen plays different size players in all sorts of position, even playing a 6'5", 245lb player as center a couple years ago.

McKay's so-called "camp" feels he's best suited at SF and maybe, just maybe, a face-up, slasher PF. While he most certainly played power-forward at JUCO, he wants to play some wing at this level. Marquette said, no thanks, we're pretty set there and want(needed?) in the post, as he did average a double-double(17ppg, 10rpg)...also, 4 seniors graduate next year and frontcourt needed replaced.

IF Jameel is willing to play an up-tempo 4 man in our system, which is why we're on the radar, he's seen we allow PF's to "mix it up", then he's worth the - 2 yrs of scholarship, for 1 yr of playing time - deal.

He's quite the talent, yet for a JUCO to be calling his own shots its not going to get you anywhere, anytime soon. There is a small sect that believes he believes he's better than he is, hence his gamble to play 1 season when he already had 2.

Also, there was a tiny bit of controvery surrounding Mckay's enrollment into Marquette, which happens every year with Buzz Williams. His grades and scores are low, like borderline unacceptable to ANY institution. Somehow he made it, so he can probably make it here too...

willandi
11-01-2013, 08:02 AM
If he transfered immediatly, wouldn't the have 1 1/2 yrs of eligibility?

exclusivelee
11-01-2013, 08:15 AM
I'll just put it out there. Jameel McKay will take one sniff of the Gonzaga campus and the roster & run scared. I love what I see of him in that video, but with low grades and unwillingness to play anything other than the "3", he won't be a Zag

KStyles
11-01-2013, 08:39 AM
If he transfered immediatly, wouldn't the have 1 1/2 yrs of eligibility?

Yep, after sitting out a year (barring any waivers).

cjm720
11-01-2013, 08:56 AM
I'll just put it out there. Jameel McKay will take one sniff of the Gonzaga campus and the roster & run scared. I love what I see of him in that video, but with low grades and unwillingness to play anything other than the "3", he won't be a Zag

Yep...plus he has a lot of options. Can't see him coming west to a little liberal arts school.

Baldwinzag
11-01-2013, 09:48 AM
I love what I see of him in that video, but with low grades and unwillingness to play anything other than the "3", he won't be a Zag

Doesn't sound like he's completely unwilling to play PF, yet wants freedom.

Hope to be screened for, room to drive to hoop, run the floor, shoot the ball, etc.

Actually, not a bad fit for the way we've utilized PF's before, just as long as he commits to defending the "4" position, not afraid to be physical, and more than anything, clean up the glass.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck....

Jameel believes he's a player that he really isn't -- he wants to play in the eyes of scouts given his measurables; however, he needs to play to his strengths i.e. rebounding, rebounding, rebounding, cleaning up around the rim, put-backs, and driving to the hoop when available.

That is his role at this level and he has YET to accept it.

He wants much more freedom, and focus, in an offense than Marquette or several schools were willing to do. He doesn't have much experience, is still pretty raw in terms of skill/moves/footwork.

He's a natural athlete, high motor, and can make plays around the rim, in traffic, and on both sides of the floor.

He also wants to be star. I understand that most players do, yet at least play to what you're being ASKED to do and what you are good at...Jameel doesn't want to be forced into a niche role.

Players such as him often list Gonzaga, just think back to all the Cali hybrid forwards, past JUCO's, and many who were tweeners....they notice the fact we are creative with our players and often can manipulate our offense to suit their respective games. That is all true, yet again, not when you as a player are wanting to call the shots.

That doesn't, and won't work anywhere.

DixieZag
11-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Hmmmm, interesting stuff to think about. A lot seems to be taken from outside info - take it with a bit of a grain of salt.

Well, his schools he is interested in would make a super conference, we are one of five he will visit - that says something. I doubt he would waste a visit if he thought he would be miserable where we would have him. Perhaps he could just watch tapes of Elias and be convinced that our 4s play a bit different.

Wants to be a star? Feel free - but do it within the team, I suppose that might be hard for some. Wanting to call the shots? Perhaps his "posse" might note that he has one and a half years left in college ball and it might be better to listen and follow directions.

We'll see. Few may miss on some super stars, he rarely misses on bad attitude players. He sees someone who would work out.

Reborn
11-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Baldwinzag. I know I am one who posted that McKay was projected to be a starter, and I got that from a couple different articles that I read. I don't like to be dissed here on the board when I actually do research. You seem to enjoy building yourself up, by putting others down. I wonder where you get your info? Off the board like you say? Hahahahahahaa. If this young man was as bad as you project I guarantee you he would not be coming to GU for a visit. Few is no dummy, as so many on this board think (does that include you)? I have seen Marquette play alot, and I can understand why a player like McKay would not fit in there. Just as I understand why Ellias would not fit in there. I'm not even saying that he will play for GU, but I don't understand this tendency on the board lately to tear a player down, even before they've seen him play. Baldwinzag writes as if he knows this guy personally real well.....Do you Baldwinzag?

exclusivelee
11-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Jameel McKay is off the table and headed to Iowa St. Not a big shocker.

What's the next plan for the coaching staff?

Travis Hines ‏@TravisHines21
Jameel McKay has committed to Iowa State, he tells the Ames Tribune.
4:02 PM - 5 Nov 13 (https://twitter.com/TravisHines21/status/397876581546209280)

Travis Hines ‏@TravisHines21
McKay will have to pay his way for a semester. Said he's not too concerned w/ Pell grant and student loans.
4:30 PM - 5 Nov 13 (https://twitter.com/TravisHines21/status/397883541423284224)

wiszag
11-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Baldwinzag was pretty much correct in everything he wrote. Any criticism was unwarranted. I think McKay would have been problematic unless he completely bought into GU and Few. It would have been nice for McKay to put some distance between Milwaukee and himself.

BobZag
11-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Would ideally like to get a one-year kid next spring/summer, ala Josh Davis or Mike Moser, or a quality Euro to go with Sabonis (if he comes), and I think that's what Few has in mind anyway. McKay would've been okay by me, though.

zagfan1
11-07-2013, 07:49 AM
I am bummed by Mckays decision to go to Iowa State. Not sure why he would go there. Recruiting is tough at times and right now all the big guys are saying no to Gonzaga. What gives? Did they get food poisoning from the COG?

Goshzagit
11-07-2013, 08:01 AM
Don't want to speculate, yet as mentioned before, admissions/academics probably gave it a sniff and said, "wait, what? no way, no how."

It was widely known he didn't qualify out of HS, not even close, and apparently didn't fare much better in JUCO (around a 1.5 GPA)...many were wondering how he got into Marquette in the first place, yet Buzz Williams is a master at securing the unqualified ones, so to speak.

I doubt this is the sole reason, but I'm betting its a BIG part of why he didn't actually VISIT us when he was planning to. Why else would he publicly state he was officially visiting Gonzaga then immediately fall back on his security blanket in ISU.

Fishy? Nope.

I don't think he stood a chance of being admitted to Gonzaga in the first place. It is what it is.

TravelinZag
11-07-2013, 01:41 PM
You are speculating. This is at least the third time this recruiting season that a prospect has announced his intention to visit GU, then signed elsewhere prior to the visit. Nothing sinister; sometimes we're the plan B for a variety of reasons, sometimes the staff may have let the prospect know the visit would be for no purpose, etc., etc. We don't know, in most cases won't know, and maybe don't need to know. Like you and many fans, Goshzagit, I hope our luck finding some tall, beefy talent for the interim or long-term improves soon. Lots of tries, but nothing to show.

Reborn
11-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Iowa St has an excellent program and getting better each year. They have a real good coach.