PDA

View Full Version : Chemistry, cohesiveness and consistency within a system.

TravelinZag
10-29-2013, 06:47 AM
These are some of the factors which made last season magic, and have allowed the Zags a high level of success (sure, want more) despite the drag of weak conference, small size, recruiting handicaps, location, etc. As demonstrated by recruiting dynamos which attract all-star OADs, the "best" don't always come together in just one year. Perhaps this is part of the answer to some of the recruiting moves which confound this board. The coaches aren't going to explain their thought process. Not sure we really want them to do so.

At least five of the current and future Zags will not spend four years on the court for GU. You can figure out who; nothing to be gained by discussing names. In the wake of Olynyk's early departure (thanks for what he gave, wish him the best), let us acknowledge that two- and three-year stars provide great firepower, but the glue and the chemistry come from long-term participants in the program.

Transfers, including graduate transfers? Occasional JUCO fliers? Sure! They'll be big this year (and we could have used at least one more)! Top prospects who will likely declare for the draft before finishing their eligibility? YES! Kelly got his degree and Adam is back to finish his. However, the "bones" of Zag basketball will always be four-year players (or more, with redshirts). Some of these boys turned men before our eyes will go to the NBA; some will play internationally. Some won't play pro, like most college players, even great ones. Many, many will return to GU for visits and remain members of the family.

Making sure that each recruiting class includes some talented players who may be around for four years may just be an unstated goal of GU recruiting.

Don't know; just conjecture. Conjecture is what most of us try to pass off as thought or analysis here. Don't need to ask you to disagree; that's what makes this board interesting.

Zagdawg
10-29-2013, 06:56 AM
Good post-- it makes sense.

Some players can fill a role-- others are not made like that.

Some players would reshirt if it benefits the team and their own development -- we saw what kind of dividends it paid with Kelly--- the Zag coaching staff knows their stuff.

I'll take a cohesive and functional team over a dysfunctional challenged team any day of the week--- we have been at both ends of the spectrum and lived through the good and the bad.

I'll take one Zag family in a heartbeat.

Go Zags.

jazzdelmar
10-29-2013, 07:09 AM
Xclnt post, Trav.....makes sense......we saw with UK last yr what happens when everyone has a foot out the gym door...not that we're UK :)

75Zag
10-29-2013, 08:47 AM
I agree that chemistry etc. can interfere with results (last year KY) but generally speaking, I don't care if the GU team consists of Satan, Hitler, Pol XXX ( the Cambodian killer whose name the Spokesman will not allow me to type because it involves P+O+T), Osama bin Laden, and Caligula as long as we get to a Final Four.

Go Bulldogs!

GoZags
10-29-2013, 09:21 AM
I agree that chemistry etc. can interfere with results (last year KY) but generally speaking, I don't care if the GU team consists of Satan, Hitler, Pol XXX ( the Cambodian killer whose name the Spokesman will not allow me to type because it involves P+O+T), Osama bin Laden, and Caligula as long as we get to a Final Four.

Go Bulldogs!

We're in different camps vis a vis what we're looking for in a program that represents our Alma Mater. I don't think a Final Four is worth selling your soul (or the school's soul). But that's just me. It takes all kinds to make the world go around and if everyone agreed on everything then this board would be pretty boring.

hooter73
10-29-2013, 09:25 AM
We could stop making the NCAA as long as we retain the quality program that has been made as far as Im concerned. Quality over Quantity.

MTZag03
10-29-2013, 09:29 AM

Go Bulldogs!

I would go with Caligula, Nero, Commodus, Caracalla and Maximinus Thrax. First sub in for sheer shock value Elagabalus. The thing is these guys would have chemistry. They speak the same language and aside from Elagabalus all pretty much have the same petty, brutal megalomania. Hmmm. Maybe that would not be such a good team. Too many divas.

sorry to hijack with the roman emperors. They are just to crazy to pass up. Anyway, good post. I think we have some good leaders in KP, SD, and DS that can really help maintain the chemistry.

23dpg
10-29-2013, 10:13 AM

Go Bulldogs!

I respectfully disagree with this quote. I would rather become an obscure historical footnote in the college basketball scene than take on low character people just to win.

#1bulldogfan
10-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Great thread Traveling Zag. It needs to be posted and locked on the top of the Forum!

Zagdawg
10-29-2013, 10:40 AM
Sorry 75-- gotta disagree with you there.

Integrity, character and teaching the right values will go farther than a final 4 for me (otherwise it is just the NBA).

To have players with these characteristics and to earn a final 4 is not a mutually exclusive concept.

I like that the staff recruits players like Turiaf and Sacre -- the positive publicity that they bring Gonzaga is great.

We are one Zag family.

Go Zags

stevet75
10-29-2013, 11:44 AM
Sorry 75-- gotta disagree with you there.

Integrity, character and teaching the right values will go farther than a final 4 for me (otherwise it is just the NBA).

To have players with these characteristics and to earn a final 4 is not a mutually exclusive concept.

I like that the staff recruits players like Turiaf and Sacre -- the positive publicity that they bring Gonzaga is great.

We are one Zag family.

Go Zags

I have to agree!