PDA

View Full Version : Best Zag Student Section Attempt to get in an Opposing players head?

Zagdawg
10-28-2013, 01:49 PM
I recall a couple ---

During warmups -- the students were chanting "Beers on Jensen"-- related to an incident around Mike Jensen from UW being busted for shoplifting beer from a convenience store as a young man-- and yes it did get into his head and cause him some focus challenges.

Not that I agree with the chant (or maybe I do)......... at the tourney in Vegas -- the students began the "Spokane hates you chant" to give tribute to our buddy Omar----- and he politely responded to the section by letting them know that they were #1 in his book --- I think that's what that digit meant.

Another was just what a student was wearing--- when the Gaels were there one of the students had a blow up sumo suit on with a sign that read "Omar" -- (poor guy always got so much love from our students).

What do you recall?

hooter73
10-28-2013, 03:32 PM
"Side Show Bob! Side Show Bob!"

cant remember what team, but they got it right when you saw this poor kids hair lol

Angelo Roncalli
10-28-2013, 03:51 PM
"Apple-bino"
"Lindsey dumped you"

SPOKANE -- The game started at 8. The mind games began 80 minutes earlier.

As Jon Brockman wandered onto the court to warm up, followed by Justin Dentmon and Adrian Oliver, and then the rest of the 13th-ranked Washington basketball team, loud boos greeted them. Personalized chants came next, accompanied by homemade signs.

The most visible cardboard placard offered this message:

UW: 1W-7L

NO WONDER YOU WANT OUT

Similar to former Huskies Doug Wrenn and Mike Jensen before them, junior guard Ryan Appleby and freshman center Spencer Hawes were singled out for personalized insults from this hard-working student section known as the Kennel Club.

"You're no pistol," was a reference to Appleby's love for Pete Maravich.

"Lindsey dumped you," was a dig at Hawes' dating situation two years earlier, since rectified.

"Apple-bino," was a tasteless insult tied to the guard's fair complexion.

The Kennel Club is maybe three times larger than the UW's Dawg Pack. It goes 15 rows deep in three lower concourse sections. It spills into four other smaller seating areas that overflow into the end zones. It never shuts up.

In Saturday night's 97-77 blowout loss to Gonzaga, the Huskies tried their best to ignore the madcap surroundings, but they couldn't control their adrenaline no doubt ratcheted up by the arena sideshow. They forced shots, traveled several times and trailed from the outset.

"Guys were excited to play, but we were maybe a little too hyped up," Appleby said.

"We have to learn when we have that rush, we have to settle down," Oliver said. "Honestly, I really tune the crowd out. There were a lot of them, though."

Gonzaga, with its nation-leading homecourt win streak bumped up to 45 games in two buildings, is a challenge for anyone, no matter how seasoned, though most ranked teams wouldn't set foot on this campus.

A half-hour before tipoff, a UW student in a gray sweat shirt, with the purple "W" giving away his allegiance, walked down an aisle through the tightly bunched Gonzaga supporters and immediately was booed, flipped off, and then pelted with cups and wadded up papers. He didn't help his cause any. He not only wandered into enemy territory, but he smugly gestured with outstretched arms for people to throw more stuff at him, which they did.

For this game, everyone in the Kennel Club was dressed in a red T-shirt, except for two separate groups of front-row male followers who were either bare-chested or dressed in blue tops, each wearing a hand-painted letter on his front and back.

The guys without shirts together spelled out "LETS GO DOGS" on their chests and "ROMARS A CHICKEN" on their backs. The others in blue together formed the message "KENNEL CLUB OWNS UDUB" across the front and "WHAT ABOUT NEXT YEAR?" on their backs.

http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/article/Kennel-Club-plays-its-part-for-Zags-1222029.php

Just A Zag
10-28-2013, 06:06 PM
brokeback kickert? Just kidding

ZagsZombieNation
10-28-2013, 06:12 PM
Chanting "Derek's Better" at Nik Raivio.

EuroZag2010
10-29-2013, 12:55 AM
Remember the "casto can't read" that was terrible...

exclusivelee
10-29-2013, 01:09 AM
Need a chant involving Randy Bennett not wanting anything to do with Waldow's tooth

DixieZag
10-29-2013, 07:22 AM
Need a chant involving Randy Bennett not wanting anything to do with Waldow's tooth

"He's no dent-ist! - - - He's no denti-ist!. . ."

hooter73
10-29-2013, 08:04 AM
aw man Im laughing re-reading these. Hope the Kennel Club keeps delivering.

sittingon50
10-29-2013, 08:28 AM
Randy won't be making an appearance in Spokane this year.

exclusivelee
10-29-2013, 08:33 AM
Randy won't be making an appearance in Spokane this year.

then the chant should be:

"Waldow where's your Tooth Fairy?"

229SintoZag
10-29-2013, 09:54 AM
In the early 1990s, the Los Angeles area had a spell where there was a large earthquake, a huge rainstorm caused by an El Nino that unleashed tons of mudslides, then a spell of Santa Ana winds that caused widespread wildfires.

For some reason, I always got a chuckle out of the KC chant that they came up with when LMU visited in 1993 or 1994:

"Earthquake, Mudslide, FIRE FIRE FIRE!!!"

LongIslandZagFan
10-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Back in the 80s... For the life of me can't remember hitch team it was.... I want to say SCU. Either way, the coach's son was on the team. Any time the ball hit his hands the chant of Daaaaaadeeee went out, immediately stopping when he released the ball just to start again when the ball got passed back.

MTZag03
10-29-2013, 10:40 AM
My freshman year we played an all star northwest team in an exhibition game. They had an overweight player from montana state. Literally any time he touched the ball, even for a second, everyone booed. There was really no reason for it that I can remember, but it rattled him.

Angelo Roncalli
10-29-2013, 11:21 AM
1978-79 season vs. Montana (the last Big Sky Conf. game against Montana). Gonzaga homecoming. The John Stroeder look-alike contest.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1345&dat=19890215&id=axhXAAAAIBAJ&sjid=8PkDAAAAIBAJ&pg=2269,2032154

zag944
10-29-2013, 12:25 PM
In 2002-03 there were chants of "0.08" and "DUI" at Jason Keep, USD's star center