PDA

View Full Version : Boxscore and recap for us out of towners please?

thespywhozaggedme
10-25-2013, 08:32 PM
Title says it al. Thanks

zzzjag
10-25-2013, 08:40 PM
Title says it al. Thanks

Like to see and hear more.

Zagdawg
10-25-2013, 08:42 PM
Stats

http://www.gozags.com/newLiveStats/Basketball/index.dbml?GAME_STAT_ID=1462418&db_oem_id=26400

Larryzag
10-25-2013, 08:44 PM
This is what stood out for me.

Coleman - 16 points, all points at the rim. He is so fast to the rim. Very impressive. I hope he gets 30 minutes a game.

Karno - Drew a lot of fouls. Made 6 out of 8 free throws I think.

Dower - 20 points, 12 rebounds. Scored on breaks, around basket and on jump shots. He is going to have a great year if he brings it like this all year.

Edwards - 13 points, made left and right handed hook shots. Very smooth. Dower like as far as his soft shot seemed to always go in.

Connor Griffin - played at the end of the game but looked good. I predict he will earn a scholarship eventually.

To me the rest didn't do anything unexpected.

Larryzag
10-25-2013, 08:51 PM
Best combo tonight was Pangos, Bell, Coleman, Barham, and Dower. They dominated for a significant amount of the first half. Might be too small for some teams but wow!

Zagdawg
10-25-2013, 08:54 PM
Shem picking the other team point guards pocket and fast breaks for the dunk----surprising the big man could move that fast.

thespywhozaggedme
10-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Thanks. Dowers rebounding numbers are encouraging. I'm just pretty shocked at how little chatter there is post game, even if it's an exhibition. Please everyone keep it coming.

This is what stood out for me.

Coleman - 16 points, all points at the rim. He is so fast to the rim. Very impressive. I hope he gets 30 minutes a game.

Karno - Drew a lot of fouls. Made 6 out of 8 free throws I think.

Dower - 20 points, 12 rebounds. Scored on breaks, around basket and on jump shots. He is going to have a great year if he brings it like this all year.

Edwards - 13 points, made left and right handed hook shots. Very smooth. Dower like as far as his soft shot seemed to always go in.

Connor Griffin - played at the end of the game but looked good. I predict he will earn a scholarship eventually.

To me the rest didn't do anything unexpected.

KStyles
10-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Video Highlights (GoZags.com): http://www.gozags.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=26400&id=3087828&ATCLID=&SPSID=627529&SPID=90846&DB_OEM_ID=26400

Video Postgame Comments - Few, Edwards, Coleman (GoZags.com): http://www.gozags.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=26400&id=3087747&ATCLID=&SPSID=627529&SPID=90846&DB_OEM_ID=26400

zzzjag
10-25-2013, 09:18 PM
Thanks guys!

zagzilla
10-25-2013, 09:20 PM
Not much defense played on the perimeter. PK, SD were tough inside on the smaller opponents

Ekrub
10-25-2013, 09:46 PM
No GUnit as well

Reborn
10-25-2013, 09:58 PM
Barham had a very solid game: 9 pts and 4 rebounds. Maybe a Mike Hart clone with better offense. I like his game.
Coleman with 5 rebounds. Coleman enters game with 5 min gone by (a wasted 5 min for sure) and GU has scored a total of 4 points. Gonzaga goes on a huge run spearheaded by Coleman who scores like 6 or 8 points in a row and gets the team running. Can hardly wait to see him play.
Stockton makes a far better sub than starter. I'm sure Mark Few will realize that in time. I know Mark Few loves Stockton, but (I think) he loves the team more.

Pangos and Bell appear to be very unimpressive. Pangos 1-5 from the 3. I am worried if he can't lead this team better than he did tonight. I know it's a practice game, but it's a game. I'm disappointed.

Hoopaholic
10-25-2013, 10:15 PM
I watched the replay and felt pango and bell seemed displaced with different roles they were asked to play when we went with three guard lineup...defense lapses will be shored up. Dower appeared focused. Shem appeared determined. Coleman brings dynamics we been missing from three spot, Stockton made some very nice passes, barham looked solid and draino once he got jitters out I thought played very well......best surprise of night for me was Edwards. Played under control, within role and good position most of the night

SWZag
10-25-2013, 11:46 PM
Sports Illustrated -Gonzaga Game Recap: Zags Rout Simon Fraser in Exhibition (http://westcoastconvo.com/2013/10/25/gonzaga-game-recap-zags-rout-simon-fraser-exhibition/)

SWZag

Mantua
10-26-2013, 02:17 AM
Coleman was a standout. Remembering how many bigs have begun their careers, I thought Edwards looked promising and up to the challenge. For me, the exhibition games are always about the new players. I don't believe that it's a preview of the Zags in regular season. I liked all of the new players. They all seemed very focused and earnestly willing to be team players. I'm looking forward to watching individuals grab the opportunities presented and watching the team come together as a whole. This year will be fresh and very entertaining.

Vanzagger
10-26-2013, 08:36 AM
Barham had a very solid game: 9 pts and 4 rebounds. Maybe a Mike Hart clone with better offense. I like his game.
Coleman with 5 rebounds. Coleman enters game with 5 min gone by (a wasted 5 min for sure) and GU has scored a total of 4 points. Gonzaga goes on a huge run spearheaded by Coleman who scores like 6 or 8 points in a row and gets the team running. Can hardly wait to see him play.
Stockton makes a far better sub than starter. I'm sure Mark Few will realize that in time. I know Mark Few loves Stockton, but (I think) he loves the team more.

Pangos and Bell appear to be very unimpressive. Pangos 1-5 from the 3. I am worried if he can't lead this team better than he did tonight. I know it's a practice game, but it's a game. I'm disappointed.

On a positive note, according to Heister, Dikau, and Fox....David has already won the Bob Cousy award.

I get it. The kid has improved every year. I'm still of the belief if he can't beat out Kevin or Gary then get to the end of the bench and cheer your ass off.

It was funny when Dickau warned us there wasn't a ball handler on the floor. Dan...I will take a wide open 3 and two lay ins every time.

Play Pangos at point guard. I think he has earned it!

NotoriousZ
10-26-2013, 08:41 AM
No GUnit as well

Still no GUnit thread...I'll go ahead and vote for Dower, although Shem-Nasty and Coleman (needs nickname) made it a close call.

DixieZag
10-26-2013, 08:50 AM
I watched the replay and felt pango and bell seemed displaced with different roles they were asked to play when we went with three guard lineup...defense lapses will be shored up. Dower appeared focused. Shem appeared determined. Coleman brings dynamics we been missing from three spot, Stockton made some very nice passes, barham looked solid and draino once he got jitters out I thought played very well......best surprise of night for me was Edwards. Played under control, within role and good position most of the night

That's a great post, hoops. I was about to write nearly the same point on all of them. Just to re-emphasize, two things stood out huge to me. The biggest was the all out effort over significant minutes of Karno. Rebounding, looking calm at the FT line, blocking shots - - just seemed like his motor and ability took it to another level.

And Edwards - - maybe we won't be as thin as we worried about up front. Very nice presence, spacing was good, can catch and has good feet. If we can get 8 quality minutes out of him that is huge.

ZagNative
10-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Jim Meehan's game story (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2013/oct/25/zags-roll-exhibition-opener/).

Coleman, the Providence transfer who sat out last season, entered the game and the pace immediately picked up as he scored three baskets, pulled down three rebounds and fed Kevin Pangos for an open 3-pointer in transition.

Coleman finished with 16 points on 7-of-7 shooting to go with five rebounds.

“Oh what a feeling, a great feeling,” Coleman said. “I’ve been waiting a year for it and I really enjoyed it. Coach Few says (the open court) is my forte. What’s big about it is if they’re focusing on me going all the way, if they want to suck in I can kick it to the shooters.”
Gonzaga made 62 percent of its shots and worked over SFU’s smaller interior, resulting in 30 free-throw attempts. The Bulldogs made just 4 of 16 3s, but nearly all were quality looks.

On a couple of occasions, Simon Fraser scored only to watch Gonzaga race down court for an easy basket, once after a made free throw.

ZagNative
10-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Jim Meehan's game story (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2013/oct/25/zags-roll-exhibition-opener/).

Coleman, the Providence transfer who sat out last season, entered the game and the pace immediately picked up as he scored three baskets, pulled down three rebounds and fed Kevin Pangos for an open 3-pointer in transition.

Coleman finished with 16 points on 7-of-7 shooting to go with five rebounds.

“Oh what a feeling, a great feeling,” Coleman said. “I’ve been waiting a year for it and I really enjoyed it. Coach Few says (the open court) is my forte. What’s big about it is if they’re focusing on me going all the way, if they want to suck in I can kick it to the shooters.”
Gonzaga made 62 percent of its shots and worked over SFU’s smaller interior, resulting in 30 free-throw attempts. The Bulldogs made just 4 of 16 3s, but nearly all were quality looks.

On a couple of occasions, Simon Fraser scored only to watch Gonzaga race down court for an easy basket, once after a made free throw.

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-26-2013, 01:54 PM
http://www.gnacsports.com/media/Stats/mbasketball/2013-14/sfu01e.htm#GAME.BOX

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Officials: Mark Cook, Nate Harris, Justin Shamion
Technical fouls: SIMON FRASER CLAN-None. GONZAGA BULLDOGS-None.
Attendance: 6000
Score by Periods 1st 2nd Total
SIMON FRASER CLAN............. 28 40 - 68
GONZAGA BULLDOGS.............. 52 51 - 103
Exhibition - Does not count in record/statistics.

Points in the paint-SFU 12,GON 68. Points off turnovers-SFU 12,GON 13.
2nd chance points-SFU 8,GON 13. Fast break points-SFU 5,GON 21.
Bench points-SFU 32,GON 49. Score tied-0 times. Lead changed-0 times.
Last FG-SFU 2nd-00:01, GON 2nd-00:38.
Largest lead-SFU None, GON by 40 2nd-02:35.

exclusivelee
10-26-2013, 02:24 PM
Allowing SFU to shoot 36 3pt attempts... not a good look. They shot a decent clip at 36.1% from downtown, making 13 of them.

Improvements to be made.

roxdoc
10-26-2013, 07:47 PM
The reputation of our system as a "let them go ahead and shoot 3's, if they get hot they can win the lotto" has crossed international borders.

rijman
10-27-2013, 09:47 AM
http://www.gnacsports.com/media/Stats/mbasketball/2013-14/sfu01e.htm#GAME.BOX

Points in the paint-SFU 12,GON 68.
Ouch! Nice game, very pleased to hear Dower and Coleman had big games. Can't wait for next weeks game.

Worthington
10-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Was really encouraged by what I saw in the game.

Dower was dominant down low. When he establishes position to the hoop, he is very hard to stop because his touch is so good. Beyond that, he did something I'd never seen him do before and actually faced up and took his defender to the hoop. I know it was only 1 game against a D2 opponent, but the improvements he made over the off-season were noticeable.

Coleman looked to be as good as everyone was hoping. So fast in the open court, and just has that innate ability to get to the hoop. I have no doubt that he's going to be starting very soon.

Edwards was surprisingly good. I don't think we're going to get that kind of game out of him every night, especially against better competition, but it's immediately apparent now what the staff loved so much about him. The amount of weight he has lost in such a short amount of time is incredible, which is a really great sign of a stellar work ethic. Couple years down the road, he could be a force, and for now he can give us serviceable minutes.

Loved seeing Karnowski going up strong and trying to dunk the ball on multiple occasions. I still think it will take him a little while to get used to being starter and focal point of the offense, but halfway through the season is when I really expect him to shine.

Barham can really shoot the ball and has a great basketball IQ, I think he's going to be one of the first off the bench this season. Think we stole one away from Memphis.

Pangos didn't shoot the ball great, but he was poised and (through the small sample so far) looking to get to the rim more. I hope to see him really expand his game this year.

Connor Griffin will be a real contributor to Gonzaga before his 4 years are up. He's definitely a Mike Hart type (emphasis on type, remains to be seen if he has Hart's intangibles), but actually seems more willing to find his own shot. When the walkons and the late bench guys were in, Griffin really stood out.

Only a few of my observations, rest of the guys were solid as well.

bartruff1
10-27-2013, 07:43 PM
Drew is the most intelligent player ever at Gonzaga...

sittingon50
10-27-2013, 08:22 PM
Uh, there are a few 1st team Academic All Americans who might have something to say about that.

Olynyk got his degree in 3 1/2 yrs in Accounting.

bartruff1
10-28-2013, 04:19 AM
Apparently you don't believe everything you hear from Heister during the TV broadcast.

sittingon50
10-28-2013, 10:02 AM
Oh, gotcha' Bart. Was at the game & haven't yet watched the replay, but when the aforementioned person is involved the tape is generally muted.