PDA

View Full Version : NCAA introduces 'The Rulebook,' a promised improvement on 'Points of Emphasis' series

CDC84
10-21-2013, 01:51 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-10-21/ncaa-introduces-the-rulebook

In the 2012-13 college basketball season, despite the efforts of the NCAA rules committee to curb physical defense and to mitigate the practice of defenders jumping in front of airborne shooters to claim bogus charging fouls, scoring plunged to its lowest point in more than six decades, long before the shot clock and 3-point shot were introduced.

Overall, players made 43.3 percent of their field goal attempts, the worst since 1965. They made 34 percent of their 3-point attempts, the worst since 1997. The most bizarre and frustrating statistical development of all, however, was that players shot fewer free throws on average than in any season since 1973.

Effectively, as this relatively bloodless carnage was transacted, game officials allowed it to happen.

“In the past, while these rules were on the book and should have been called, they weren’t highlighted in the body of the rulebook,” NCAA officials coordinator John Adams told Sporting News. “Four clearly defined fouls are now in the rulebook. You can’t ignore them, and they’re not open to a great deal of interpretation.”

So as we approach the 2013-14 season, there is no rehashed “Points of Emphasis” sequel. It’s a new title now: “The Rulebook.”

The four new rules relative to defensive contact on an offensive player prohibit:
· A defender keeping a constant hand or forearm on the opponent.
· A defender placing two hands on the opponent.
· A defender constantly jabbing the opponent by extending his arm and striking him with his hand or forearm.
· A defender using an arm-bar to impede the opponent’s progress.

The process of drawing a charging call also has been changed. A secondary defender now must be in legal guarding position as the ballhandler makes a move to shoot—essentially once he picks the ball up off the floor. Previously, the defender needed only to be in legal position before the ballhandler left his feet.

“I think there’s more support for the concept and enforcement of this than there has been in the past,” Adams said. “But I’m not one who believes you’re going to throw a switch and see an immediate sea change without a little bit of pain.

bigblahla
10-21-2013, 02:57 PM
What a joke! New rules my butt. How about they just read the rulebook and follow it as all the issues described above have been and are considered fouls. Officials have ignored the rulebook for well over a decade if not longer.

Bring on the pain, follow the book, foul them out and make them sit. The game will be better for it and offensive output will increase.

Just my opinion.

Go!! zags!!!

willandi
10-21-2013, 03:05 PM
...and if the zebras once again refuse to call the fouls, as written, as a points of emphasis, what recourse does a head coach have? Not only during that game but for the season? Isn't there already a shortage of qualified zebras?

CDC84
10-21-2013, 06:23 PM
As I keep saying, nothing will really change until there is a national coordinator(s) of officials that oversees regular season and postseason play. It shouldn't be handled at the conference level. A national coordinator would simply fire bad officials. Presently, they just get recycled to other conferences.....

75Zag
10-22-2013, 07:29 AM
As I have said before, the goal of the NCAA and its officiating is to allow the five star money makers to fly / glide / soar to the basket as they score again and again over lesser competion. To do that, they need to keep lowly defenders from non-elite teams from touching the future starting point guard of the Lakers as he goes up for the score. I call it the Kentucky rule.

Go Bulldogs!

gozagswoohoo
11-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Sounds like the new rules are already making waves in some exhibition games...

LOTS of free throws being shot!! I'll tell you right now, this may be the most important thing to work on...FREE THROWS!! That's gonna be HUGE this season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/coaches-fear-controversial-rule-changes-may-result-whistle-181529872--ncaab.html

kitzbuel
11-05-2013, 01:02 PM

LOTS of free throws being shot!! I'll tell you right now, this may be the most important thing to work on...FREE THROWS!! That's gonna be HUGE this season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/coaches-fear-controversial-rule-changes-may-result-whistle-181529872--ncaab.html
I think the emphasis on quickness over strength and size can help us. GBJ, Coleman, Stockton and Pangos are going to benefit. They are quick on defense and they will be able to drive straight into less mobile bigs.

MTZag03
11-05-2013, 01:25 PM
As I have said before, the goal of the NCAA and its officiating is to allow the five star money makers to fly / glide / soar to the basket as they score again and again over lesser competion. To do that, they need to keep lowly defenders from non-elite teams from touching the future starting point guard of the Lakers as he goes up for the score. I call it the Kentucky rule.

Go Bulldogs!

Or how about allowing ridiculous amounts of contact in late game rallies to make more compelling games. This is especially magnified if it's an underdog doing the rally. And yes I know GU has benefited in the past from this. They have also been burned by it.

I would love it if they enforced contact uniformly and consistently.

MTZag03
11-05-2013, 01:29 PM
I think the emphasis on quickness over strength and size can help us. GBJ, Coleman, Stockton and Pangos are going to benefit. They are quick on defense and they will be able to drive straight into less mobile bigs.

Footwork! I hope our bigs know how to be in position defensively.

Oregonzagnut
11-05-2013, 01:56 PM
I would love it if they enforced contact uniformly and consistently.

Instant replay.

Give the coaches an instant reply option to question a call, or risk a time out just like football. If the coaches (or even players) can challenge a call after a critical play, the game improves and referees across the board will get more consistent on how they call a game and play the game.

Our technology should be used as another set of eyeballs watching the games. Instant replay does not get us away from the original "essence" of the game as people say. It would help the players, refs and coaches get closer to the true essence of the game if they follow the rulebook. But making the rulebook so petty and technical will just make FT's more important and games last 2.5 hours.

In my opinion anyway. Having less controversy is better. Getting all the calls correct is the best.

titopoet
11-05-2013, 02:41 PM

I think it helps GU. I love that of the three coaches commenting, two: Archie Miller and Bob Huggins make their money on playing tough physical D that most times borders in fouls (now crossing that border). The other one, Hurley, is new to the college ranks, but as a player was one of dirtiest Duke guys. WSU did a similar thing to GU in the NCAA. All of the hand checking and arm baring also hurt more skilled players like Pangos, Bell and Stocks.

gozagswoohoo
11-05-2013, 02:51 PM
In the long run, and in the big picture, I think it WILL help Gonzaga. But...I think it's going to make for some VERY frustrating games (especially early on) while players try to get used to it, and fans are forced to get used to it. We are so used to the simple 'hand check' (as frustrating as it may have been), that if it gets called 5-6 times in one game, it's going to get really agitating. Especially when/if a ref DOESN'T call it that consistently the next game. I just don't want games to take 30 minutes longer, and for there to be an extra 30 FT's shot every game. I'm all for more scoring...but I don't know if I am 'for it' if that has to take place on the free throw line during a 4 hour game, haha.

I think these first few seasons will be the toughest...just having to adjust to the new 'look' of how this game will have to be played.

ZagMan in Philly
12-13-2013, 11:25 AM
article on espn magazine this month:
due to the new rule on hand check, bumping cutters, here is the summary of the article:

through dec 1, scoring was up 8.3% to 73.1ppg, and teams were avg. 20.1 fouls and 23.4 ft attempt per game. (last season scoring was 67.5ppg, 17.7 fouls per game and 19.8 ft att/game).
Most teams are going with the 2-3 zone defense (just move your feet, that is all you can do), recruiting will change, as teams will find guys who can really drive the ball.
Basketball was designed to be a game of skill, not brute force.

(i could not cut and paste the article)

zag944
12-13-2013, 11:51 AM
I don't feel like I've ever been not entertained by a game because the scoring was low. I like good competition, whether the game is in the 60s or the 90s.

I do, however, feel like my enjoyment of the sport at the college level is constantly being trampled by poor and confusing officiating. Any loss or close game and there will be plenty of complaints on this forum for sure. I'm sure you can go to the board of any team we beat by <10 and find complaints there. Refs call things different than other conferences, other crews within their conference, other refs within their crew, and their own calls from half to half. It's bizarre. I don't have any idea if the referees in Maui or the referees in West Virginia are treating Karno properly.

Not a sour grapes fan that thinks they have it out for Gonzaga or anything. I just find college basketball referees a constant state of annoyance to me.

Hoopaholic
12-13-2013, 12:58 PM
extra free throws bore me.....slows the game down

going to see migration away from the "big boys" to agile boys who can come over from weakside and block shots....

going to go away from the specialty kids (ie see Mike Hart) as we are going to see far more zones...which is going to slow the game back down again as teams will pass the ball around looking for three point shots, causing recruiting to move towards shooters

just simply call the game the way it was designed to be

CDC84
12-13-2013, 01:08 PM
I think the idea is that the extra free throws will go away with time once players get used to the "new rules." Usually to get something weeded out of the game there needs to be "penalty phase" where players are punished to such a degree that they are forced to change once they realize how much they are hurting their teams. I don't think we can judge things too much at the moment. We're in a transitional phase right now. If things are the still the same two years from now, and the games are still mired in the muck, then we can make judgments.

maynard g krebs
12-13-2013, 03:24 PM
I think the idea is that the extra free throws will go away with time once players get used to the "new rules." Usually to get something weeded out of the game there needs to be "penalty phase" where players are punished to such a degree that they are forced to change once they realize how much they are hurting their teams. I don't think we can judge things too much at the moment. We're in a transitional phase right now. If things are the still the same two years from now, and the games are still mired in the muck, then we can make judgments.

Exactly. Reconditioning what has become reflexive actions for most players takes time. Eventually players will have to learn to play defense correctly, i.e. within the rules, and if current enforcement is consistent and carried out at lower levels, in a few years it won't be an issue.