PDA

View Full Version : Who Visited this weekend

guardu
10-21-2013, 10:54 AM
Anyone know who was visiting this last weekend? Took the wife and some friends to the Shogun for a birthday dinner Saturday night and Tommy, Karnowski, a recruit and his mom were waiting to be seated and Coach Few walked in after they were seated.

My guess is he's a pretty important target if they were all there. Kid looked like he was about 6'4-6'5 slasher build.

Inquiring minds want to know.

zagfan99
10-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Interesting.

Zagdawg
10-21-2013, 11:26 AM
Makes me wonder if it was a Euro with Shem along for dinner.

Any more info/hints-- caucasian, african american, any pictures..... what did they eat ......;)

exclusivelee
10-21-2013, 11:28 AM
must be a mystery Euro. Were you able to hear an accent from the visitors?

Zags_Fanatic
10-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Anyone know who was visiting this last weekend? Took the wife and some friends to the Shogun for a birthday dinner Saturday night and Tommy, Karnowski, a recruit and his mom were waiting to be seated and Coach Few walked in after they were seated.

Must be very important if Shogun let him be seated before the whole party arrived. From my experience you have to offer your first born for them to lift that policy.

guardu
10-21-2013, 11:52 AM
He is black and th way they were chatting I would have to say he's from the states. Maybe kat iwaki just wanted an awesome dinner. ;)

hooter73
10-21-2013, 11:57 AM
Silas in for a vacation weekend?

sittingon50
10-21-2013, 12:02 PM
Too short to be Biggs.

exclusivelee
10-21-2013, 12:02 PM
Silas in for a vacation weekend?

Couldn't be. He's so active on twitter that I'm sure he would have mentioned it https://twitter.com/KampaignSilas

hooter73
10-21-2013, 12:03 PM
hard to think were still after guards. Must be worth it...

Worthington
10-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Hmm...might be Stephen Thompson Jr., Jeremy Hemsley, or Dejounte Murray off the top of my head, they fit the description.

exclusivelee
10-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Hmm...might be Stephen Thompson Jr., Jeremy Hemsley, or Dejounte Murray off the top of my head, they fit the description.

Jeremy Hemsley went to homecoming Saturday night: https://twitter.com/jeremy_hemsley/status/391969751674941440

Dejounte Murray seems to have been in the Seattle area playing basketball on Saturday: https://twitter.com/PipeCantGetRigh/status/391762393715314688

exclusivelee
10-21-2013, 12:33 PM
and looks like Stephen Thompson Jr. was in Vegas for Phase 1 Hoops' Top 40 Camp

Phase1 Hoops ‏@Phase1Hoops
Bishop Montgomery's 6'2 2015 Stephen Thompson Jr. will play in P1H's Top 40 Camp 2day. Top 10 west coast SG #top40 pic.twitter.com/Cwew4PuITo (http://pic.twitter.com/Cwew4PuITo)
11:54 AM - 19 Oct 13 (https://twitter.com/Phase1Hoops/status/391638404921692160/photo/1)

Kiddwell
10-21-2013, 02:07 PM
Jeremy Hemsley is an ESPN Top-60 guy. Me want.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=Jeremy&lastname=H&collegeid=&class=2015&position=&state=

:]

thespywhozaggedme
10-21-2013, 04:20 PM
zagazags has got to be contemplating suicide with this thread, knowing he didn't have the scoop. :o

Reborn
10-21-2013, 04:47 PM
Hemsley was offered by Gonzaga. He is 2015 though.

ZagaZags
10-21-2013, 09:16 PM
zagazags has got to be contemplating suicide with this thread, knowing he didn't have the scoop. :o

I have no clue who visited. Smart money is on an overseas player. First clue is Tommy was there, second clue is Karnowski. I will guarantee it was an official visit with a 2014 recruit. ( 2015 recruits can't take officials yet or go to dinner with coaches. ) You can only talk to coaches on the campus during an unofficial. http://www.collegesportsscholarships.com/ncaa-recruiting-rules-contact-visits.htm

Sounds like the same size as Dorian Pickens. Good thing we are not recruiting Pickens position anymore. ( Per Dorian Picken.)

guardu
10-22-2013, 06:40 AM
I have no clue who visited. Smart money is on an overseas player. First clue is Tommy was there, second clue is Karnowski. I will guarantee it was an official visit with a 2014 recruit. ( 2015 recruits can't take officials yet or go to dinner with coaches. ) You can only talk to coaches on the campus during an unofficial. http://www.collegesportsscholarships.com/ncaa-recruiting-rules-contact-visits.htm

Sounds like the same size as Dorian Pickens. Good thing we are not recruiting Pickens position anymore. ( Per Dorian Picken.)

Well it certainly wasn't Pickens but was built very similar to him. He was speaking fluent English as they walked by some I'm still maintaining that I think he's a U.S. recruit which was one of the confusing things to me as well with who was there that evening.

None of the pictures I've looked at for who we've targeted look like who I saw so let the speculation continue.

WallaWallaZag
10-22-2013, 07:02 PM
could be a jc or potential transfer...though the inclusion of the big pole as a dinner date is interesting...

spudzag
10-22-2013, 07:14 PM
Any chance the visitor was Iziahiah Sweeney?

ZagaZags
10-22-2013, 07:29 PM
Any chance the visitor was Iziahiah Sweeney?

Zero% chance.

Worthington
10-22-2013, 11:35 PM
Mystery solved! It was 2014 recruit Bryan Alberts

October 20th

@bryan_a_alberts "Great trip"

@D1BIGDEV24 - "where'd you go?"

@bryan_a_alberts "gonzaga boii"

https://twitter.com/bryan_a_alberts

ZagaZags
10-23-2013, 12:11 AM
Mystery solved! It was 2014 recruit Bryan Alberts

October 20th

@bryan_a_alberts "Great trip"

@D1BIGDEV24 - "where'd you go?"

@bryan_a_alberts "gonzaga boii"

They tell Dorian Pickens to hit the trail because they needed to fill other positions. Then bring in Alberts for a visit? I would be shocked if this was the player they dropped Pickens for. Bryan Alberts was off the radar 2 months ago. Wisconsin no longer has a spot for 2014 and was considered a lean.
Good job Worthington.

jazzdelmar
10-23-2013, 04:25 AM
alberts v pickens? ZZ, give us a comp real quick...looks like alberts is a 2-3 star vs pick at 4. surely that cannot be accurate? did they screw the pooch that much by chasing pick? :(

Kiddwell
10-23-2013, 07:32 AM
ESPN's stuff on Bryan Alberts:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=Bryan&lastname=Alberts&collegeid=&class=2014&position=&state=

Considering the history on GU and Dorian Pickens, this visit is a bit curious. (Perhaps Pickens was a long shot, Alberts is not.) In any case, welcome to Zagville, Bryan! Hope the school and coaches impressed! Assuming this isn't an NCAA rules violation, as a special token of Kiddwell good cheer, here are some new Foster Grant sunglasses: :cool:

exclusivelee
10-23-2013, 07:57 AM
yeah, so my excitement plummeted. Not sure how the staff backed off Malik Pope, Dorian Pickens, and Namon Wright to settle with this.

but then again, this brings up further questions. Does Shem being at that dinner mean that he wants to stay at Gonzaga for longer than 2 seasons?

ZagaZags
10-23-2013, 08:43 AM
Keep in mind, Bryan Alberts is a mighty fine player. He was injured this summer and his stock dropped. This is Alberts 2nd visit to GU. The Zags have 2 spots left and need to get bigger.

jazzdelmar
10-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Keep in mind, Bryan Alberts is a mighty fine player. He was injured this summer and his stock dropped. This is Alberts 2nd visit to GU. The Zags have 2 spots left and need to get bigger.

Mighty fine? He's a two star at best.......even given the rawness of the system that's a big step down from Pick at a solid four. Seems revisionist on your part, ZZ, based on your recent comment questioning the apparent strategy. Bigger? Isn't he inches smaller than Pick? 6-3 vs 6-5? More revisionism? You should be on the staff. :)))

Zagdawg
10-23-2013, 09:31 AM
Some enjoy trying to get everyone riled up around a visit...... "but we coulda had this 9 star recruit signed and on the team instead"....really?

Remind me how many stars Adam was........ I'm going to rely on the staff to decide who they bring in for visits and who they don't.

We all know how some will spin this (i.e. "end of the world", "fall of Zagdom as we know it"-- there goes Few "padding his W/L record again with the weak scheduling").

Some enjoy wasting some time making mountains out of mole hills......nothing to see here....time to move along.

Go Zags.

bigblahla
10-23-2013, 09:45 AM
Some enjoy trying to get everyone riled up around a visit...... "but we coulda had this 9 star recruit signed and on the team instead"....really?

Remind me how many stars Adam was........ I'm going to rely on the staff to decide who they bring in for visits and who they don't.

We all know how some will spin this (i.e. "end of the world", "fall of Zagdom as we know it"-- there goes Few "padding his W/L record again with the weak scheduling").

Some enjoy wasting some time making mountains out of mole hills......nothing to see here....time to move along.

Go Zags.

.....and others smile and accept anything and everything offered as it must be good cause they said it is....... I prefer individual thought and will make up my own mind. At this point in time Alberts to GU makes little sense after the players we have passed on.

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!

jazzdelmar
10-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Good for you, Blah....the battle between the no-nothings and the independent thinkers wages on....happy you are on our side....:)

Zagdawg
10-23-2013, 09:50 AM
When you become a Coach at GU-- you get to pick who you consider the best fit for the program to visit the school.....until then.....like I said carry on.

Go Zags!

ZagaZags
10-23-2013, 09:54 AM
Mighty fine? He's a two star at best.......even given the rawness of the system that's a big step down from Pick at a solid four. Seems revisionist on your part, ZZ, based on your recent comment questioning the apparent strategy. Bigger? Isn't he inches smaller than Pick? 6-3 vs 6-5? More revisionism? You should be on the staff. :)))

I said he is a mighy fine player. I never said he was Namon Wright, Trey Kell , Malik Pope or Dorian Pickens. GU told Pickens to pass on his visit due to GU trying to fill OTHER positions. Other positions would include the 4-5. ( Need to get bigger. )
One person sent me a PM telling me GU backed off Pickens is because GU had Melson rated higher and did not want to make waves with Silas. And now we had a visit from Alberts.

Bryan Alberts was a 3* player before the injury. He will do fine in Div 1 wherever he lands.

exclusivelee
10-23-2013, 10:01 AM
I'm all for getting the best fits for the program, but who says the staff can't mold these other 4-stars into good fits in the Gonzaga program while maintaining and even increasing their quality? I'm not happy with pushing 5 and 4 stars away just to settle... and to be honest, why not go full force on big men in the 2014 class if you're pushing the top-quality wings aside... logic has been completely throw out the window.

cggonzaga
10-23-2013, 10:01 AM
I believe Alberts is 6'5" now. He's a prototypical 2/3 that can shoot, get to the basket and defend. He's also sneaky athletic. Now I don't know why we passed on Pope/Pickens but Alberts would be in the same mold as Pickens/Kell. I'd take him plus we could probably redshirt him during Coleman's senior year and have a nice backup to Nunez in 2015.

It's also my belief we backed off Pickens for his own benefit. If rumors are true about Nunez, Pickens wouldn't have seen the floor until 2016 at the earliest. 4 star players usually wouldn't wait that long. With Pangos, Bell, Coleman, Dranginis, Nunez, Perkins, Melson most likely getting the PT for 2014-2015 a Pickens/Alberts most likely won't see the floor for a while. Alberts may be more willing to wait than Pickens. Also remember we have some high profile guards/wings prospects in 2015 on the radar.

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-23-2013, 10:06 AM

I'm sure Alberts is a fine player, wish him the best, good person etc etc.., but I am just hoping for some insight as to why Zags would be looking at another guard (espn.com has him listed as a PG in fact) given the current roster which is guard heavy to say the least.

Nothing against Alberts, but can someone help me understand what the Zags are thinking? Can one ask the question without being accused of not trusting the coaches?

jazzdelmar
10-23-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm sure Alberts is a fine player, wish him the best, good person etc etc.., but I am just hoping for some insight as to why Zags would be looking at another guard (espn.com has him listed as a PG in fact) given the current roster which is guard heavy to say the least.

Nothing against Alberts, but can someone help me understand what the Zags are thinking? Can one ask the question without being accused of not trusting the coaches?

how dare you, Saurus? You're gonna get it now from the no-nothings.....kidding, of course (for the most part)....u ask a perfectly reasonable question. Looking forward to the parsing and spinning...and maybe some real solid observations. Blah and I welcome you to the club, btw.

sittingon50
10-23-2013, 10:17 AM
2 things:
1. I refuse to think independently as long as I have access to Fox News &

2. As Zag75 mentioned the other day, I'll be so happy when the season starts. Then we can stop talking about all the poor recruiting & start throwing kids under the bus that are CURRENTLY on the roster.

To that end, can someone please start a poll as to who will be the 1st player thrown under the bus? I'll say Sam, with 6:24 to go in the 1st half vs Simon Fraser.

bigblahla
10-23-2013, 10:21 AM
2 things:

2. As Zag75 mentioned the other day, I'll be so happy when the season starts. Then we can stop talking about all the poor recruiting & start throwing kids under the bus that are CURRENTLY on the roster.

To that end, can someone please start a poll as to who will be the 1st player thrown under the bus? I'll say Shem, with 6:24 to go in the 1st half vs Simon Fraser.

Will Shem-nasty fit under a bus???? :)

Go!! Zags!!!

sittingon50
10-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Sorry blah. I edited that one on you. But you have a good point!!

jazzdelmar
10-23-2013, 10:27 AM
2 things:

To that end, can someone please start a poll as to who will be the 1st player thrown under the bus? I'll say Sam, with 6:24 to go in the 1st half vs Simon Fraser.

Fitty, not gonna be KP, that I know....bet on Sam and or Stocks.....

Zagdawg
10-23-2013, 10:30 AM
As a "no-nothing"-----I will be the first to admit that I don't know what the coaching staff is thinking and what is going on in the background with our recruiting needs based upon what they see in practice and what they are aware of as they are recruiting our players.

Is Edwards and/or Meikle progressing faster than expected? Has Karnowski given the staff a hint that he will be around next year also? Do we have a big locked in already who is waiting to make an announcement? We don't know.

What we do know.....Kyle looked darn good during the scrimmage and he will play forward next year.

Just my opinion.

Go Zags

thespywhozaggedme
10-23-2013, 10:40 AM
Way to hijack the thread. Thanks :confused:

2 things:

doctorzag
10-23-2013, 11:02 AM
Way to hijack the thread. Thanks :confused:

You would think someone over 50 would have better sense. Another victim of the leftist propaganda machine.

Angelo Roncalli
10-23-2013, 11:37 AM
You would think someone over 50 would have better sense. Another victim of the leftist propaganda machine.

What makes you assume the "50" in his screen name refers to his age?

bigblahla
10-23-2013, 11:56 AM

Man I hope he's not sitting on 50 "roids" :)................................I know that's not true as I've counted him as a friend for over 5 decades.

Go!! Zags!!!

Shanachie
10-23-2013, 12:01 PM
So if I'm reading this right, here's the argument:

Premise: Pickens is better for Gonzaga in every way than Alberts.
Premise: If a coach chooses to pass on a better prospect and recruit a worse prospect, he is a fool.
Premise: Few has chosen to pass on Pickens and recruit Alberts.
Conclusion: Few is a fool.

Pretty sure the record shows Few is not a fool. Perhaps one of the premises is wrong?

Angelo Roncalli
10-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Man I hope he's not sitting on 50 "roids" :)................................I know that's not true as I've counted him as a friend for over 5 decades.

Go!! Zags!!!

I believe he's sitting on a $50 bill, which, along with the 10 commandments, he refuses to break.

Zippyzaggy
10-23-2013, 12:21 PM

Premise: If a coach chooses to pass on a better prospect and recruit a worse prospect, he is a fool.

Pretty sure the record shows Few is not a fool. Perhaps one of the premises is wrong?

If Bryon Alberts is the answer, I don’t know what the question is.

Zippyzaggy
10-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Malik Pope said "something happened" in reference to a question about his Gonzaga recruitment.

I suppose we can gleam that the "something happened" is Bryon Alberts?

LINK: http://ask.fm/MalikXPope

thespywhozaggedme
10-23-2013, 12:39 PM
IQ?

maynard g krebs
10-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Well, I'm glad to be a no-nothing, because no nothing is something. But the fact is, most of us just see clips of video that don't tell much more than a player's physical talent level. And even seeing a hs player in a game or 2 isn't really enough to judge on.

At the Bellevue AAU tourney in July, I saw a top 30-40 wing who committed to a Big 10 power. In the 2 games I watched his team play, he was a black hole who pounded dents in the floor with the ball and made 3 or 4 spin moves while you could just about see his teammates start to put down roots watching him. Maybe that could be coached out of him, but who wants the headache?

Point is, people get way too caught up in rankings and stars, and everybody wants to sound like an expert, when there are about a handful of actual experts on the board. If you want to put down a recruit or complain about the staff not going after somebody, please come with a substantive breakdown of the player's game and why you like/ don't like him.

The three first team AA's of the modern era were all outside the top 100.

webspinnre
10-23-2013, 12:44 PM

There are two parts to logical argumentation - validity and soundness. You appear to be performing a basic reductio ad absurdum argument wherein you take a conclusion that we know to be absurd and using it to disprove a premise. Your argument is logically valid, but I disagree that it's sound. In particular, I disagree with the 2nd premise. I'd change it to:

If a coach chooses to pass on a better prospect and recruit a worse prospect, he has made a foolish decision.

Which would then change the conclusion to:

Few has made a foolish decision.

All of a sudden we no longer have a valid reductio, as I believe we can all agree that even though someone is not a fool, that does not mean that they will not make foolish decisions from time to time.

Now, my suspicion is that you were suggesting that it was premise 1 or premise 3 that needed changing, and not 2, and you may be right, as obviously we never have all the information as to whether or not Pickens is better than Albert in "every way" or what the exact circumstances are in regards to moving on from Pickens.

maynard g krebs
10-23-2013, 12:46 PM

Agreed. What a dittohead. Oh wait.....

sittingon50
10-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Boy, YOU guys sure wound up hijacking this thread.

50 refers to my I.Q., as I'm sure Spy can readily attest to.

:explode: (what's up with these new emoticons?).

ZagaZags
10-23-2013, 01:12 PM
Malik Pope said "something happened" in reference to a question about his Gonzaga recruitment.

Something happened = 2nd broken leg.

exclusivelee
10-23-2013, 01:21 PM
Something happened = 2nd broken leg.

Didn't stop him from moving up his San Diego St visit to the weekend he was scheduled to visit Gonzaga.... And also visiting Kansas the weekend following that... None of this adds up

Worthington
10-23-2013, 01:23 PM
My theory on Alberts; I think he's being underrated and over looked right now coming off of an injury. I suspect some of the schools that were on him before may have cooled off and he's not getting the interest he may once have been. The staff liked him a lot before his injury, and I think are starting to recognize that our back court is very crowded in 2014. Not many minutes to go around for an incoming wing recruit in the 2014 class but I'm thinking that the staff may view Alberts as someone that they could sign and sell on a redshirt year. Come in, play for a top program, develop your game and fully recover from your injury during a redshirt year, and compete for minutes next year when a bunch of players graduate. I don't think there's anyway Pope or Pickens could have bought into that so that may be the appeal to go for after player like Alberts who could be brought along more slowly

I like Alberts potential a lot, his athletic ability is really impressive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf60Dwkebss

ZagaZags
10-23-2013, 01:24 PM
Didn't stop him from moving up his San Diego St visit to the weekend he was scheduled to visit Gonzaga.... And also visiting Kansas the weekend following that... None of this adds up

Sure it does. Gonzaga backed off like they did with Pickens. It adds up, 1 broken leg + 1 broken leg = GU no longer recruiting him.

MDABE80
10-23-2013, 01:28 PM
It adds up perfectly. He's not coming here. No mystery.
Much more concerned about our last big. I have a very bad feeling he's not bound for Spokane. That said, I hope the Few is looking hard. Nice to have some 7 footers but for the college game someone like Travis or a 6 9 athlete fits better if the mooses can't move well or have terrible hands like KO did last year. just my thoughts.

jazzdelmar
10-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Doc, who u talking bout? Euro?

bigblahla
10-23-2013, 01:43 PM
It adds up perfectly. He's not coming here. No mystery.
Much more concerned about our last big. I have a very bad feeling he's not bound for Spokane. That said, I hope the Few is looking hard. Nice to have some 7 footers but for the college game someone like Travis or a 6 9 athlete fits better if the mooses can't move well or have terrible hands like KO did last year. just my thoughts.

Doc - have a bad feeling? Drink a bottle of vodka and call me in the morning 555-1212. :)

Go!! Zags!!!

cjm720
10-23-2013, 01:44 PM
The only thing that adds up is that no one knows what the coaches are up to...I'm fine and thrilled with the direction the program's going....

IIRC, Alberts is a wide combo guard that could potentially play 3 positions because of his strength. He plays for a tiny school that's not going to get the exposure and he's been hurt. I was pretty stoked on him a couple years back and glad he's back in the picture.

Kiddwell
10-23-2013, 02:17 PM
Would somebody ask Karno-Shem the following:
(1) Who he and the Few Crew ate dinner with the other day? We need a definitive answer on this one.

(2) What's Karno-Shem's weight now? 290 lbs? 285?

(3) Where the heck is BobZag?

Goshzagit
10-23-2013, 02:36 PM
Much more concerned about our last big. I have a very bad feeling he's not bound for Spokane.

Is it the same feeling you had about the two mystery bigs this past Summer? If so, wasn't that a very good feeling the last time? ;)

Anywho, no reason to be concerned, there is most definitely something in the works across that little 'ol pond.

You're instincts are evidently in tune to something, just pointing in the wrong direction...I keed Doc.

All good in the GU hood (as you know).

Now, as for the fallout with Pope, well that's a downright mystery even to those closest to the situation...

Shanachie
10-23-2013, 02:59 PM
There are two parts to logical argumentation - validity and soundness. You appear to be performing a basic reductio ad absurdum argument wherein you take a conclusion that we know to be absurd and using it to disprove a premise. Your argument is logically valid, but I disagree that it's sound. In particular, I disagree with the 2nd premise. I'd change it to:

If a coach chooses to pass on a better prospect and recruit a worse prospect, he has made a foolish decision.

Which would then change the conclusion to:

Few has made a foolish decision.

All of a sudden we no longer have a valid reductio, as I believe we can all agree that even though someone is not a fool, that does not mean that they will not make foolish decisions from time to time.

Now, my suspicion is that you were suggesting that it was premise 1 or premise 3 that needed changing, and not 2, and you may be right, as obviously we never have all the information as to whether or not Pickens is better than Albert in "every way" or what the exact circumstances are in regards to moving on from Pickens.

Holy crap. My flippant post didn't deserve such a thoughtful response. Can't argue with that, except to say that not only will we not ever have all the information, we probably won't ever have even the information that the coaching staff has right now.

Cheers. :cheers:

GoZags
10-23-2013, 05:05 PM
alberts v pickens? ZZ, give us a comp real quick...looks like alberts is a 2-3 star vs pick at 4. surely that cannot be accurate? did they screw the pooch that much by chasing pick? :(

The 2nd thing that the staff looks at is how many little stars a kid has by his name. The 1st thing? It's what guboards thinks of a kid (based on Internet hype). Yep. Sounds like the pooch was screwed here. Silly staff!!!

jazzdelmar
10-23-2013, 05:17 PM
The 2nd thing that the staff looks at is how many little stars a kid has by his name. The 1st thing? It's what guboards thinks of a kid (based on Internet hype). Yep. Sounds like the pooch was screwed here. Silly staff!!!

Thanks for clearing that up, GZ. Certainly explains all the recruiting duds -- you know the names -- of the past half dozen years or so.

MDABE80
10-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Goshzagit......
We got one of em. We almost had the other. Close but at the last minute, the 2nd one stayed home.
I hope a lot of things. I just don't think we're going to get Travis.......lots of reasons too.

75Zag
10-23-2013, 05:48 PM
This is a fascinating thread. Somebody that I don't know claims he saw Few et al having dinner with an African-American kid and his mother at a restaurant I have never heard of. Perhaps this kid was from the "Make a Wish Foundation". Perhaps the kid and his mother won a contest. Maybe the kid was Karno's love child and they were negotiating child support payments. I guess my point is why should regular or new posters or Mods engage in a mud-slinging battle over somebody they don't know in a situation that nobody knows about?

Especially on this holy night, when I am about to win $5000 on the Red Sox. Wow! Red Sox make first 1-2-3 double play in 40 years!

Amen - Now I ask that you all Go in Peace to Love and Serve the Bulldogs.

wiszag
10-23-2013, 05:52 PM
If Bo Ryan went to CA to recruit him, he is worth recruiting. Bo rarely leaves the Midwest. Few and Ryan are amazing coaches, maybe it is time to give them a little deference.

Goshzagit
10-23-2013, 05:55 PM
Goshzagit......
We got one of em. We almost had the other. Close but at the last minute, the 2nd one stayed home.
I hope a lot of things. I just don't think we're going to get Travis.......lots of reasons too.

Gotcha.

Initially, I was under the impression you were referring to our oversea prospect(s).

Re: Reid...

I've been saying all along and hate to admit, Travis is wishful thinking on our part.

We've vastly underrated his relationship w/MN and where they potentially stand. I've personally seen him walking through a downtown mall with 'lil Pitino. Having said that, most likely Duke-bound, imho.

I'm with ya.

sonuvazag
10-23-2013, 05:57 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, GZ. Certainly explains all the recruiting duds -- you know the names -- of the past half dozen years or so.
If you had to choose one, would you attribute those duds to the inherent limitations of recruiting top talent to Gonzaga or to Few and staff's inability to accurately evaluate the available talent?

jazzdelmar
10-23-2013, 06:10 PM
If you had to choose one, would you attribute those duds to the inherent limitations of recruiting top talent to Gonzaga or to Few and staff's inability to accurately evaluate the available talent?

If I had to choose only one, the latter. These were not four and five star recruits for the most part so they were duds in the context of the level of players GU should get. Throw in a little panic too. I can't think of any four or five stars flopping yet, GU doesn't get many of course, but it may happen. Still in fairness recruiting is an ugly, debasing inexact science, if not an art. Every program has it's Vilarinos, PMACs, Kongs, Arops, various Euros, Gibbs' , et al.

Bogozags
10-23-2013, 07:00 PM
2 things:

50 you are so baaaddd and FUNNY too! :)

Reborn
10-23-2013, 09:24 PM
Personally, I like Alberts alot, and I have done a lot of research on him (not so sure others who have posted here have). Anyone who doubts Alberts talent is definitely on something (neg). I hope he chooses to come to GU. A tough, smart kid with high IQ (which Mark Few likes). He's a great passer. He sounds like a combo-guard to me, which Mark Few really likes. If he does come to GU he will not disappoint fans. Oh Yeah. He can dunk too. Which I like. lol

sittingon50
10-23-2013, 09:46 PM
And to think Few & company made it to #1 ranking & #1 seed with leftovers. Imagine how much higher they would be ranked & seeded if they could only recruit!!

Congrats on the big money, '75. That's gonna' buy everyone here a lot of tacos when we're swept up in your magniminity!

:pray:

Kiddwell
10-23-2013, 09:51 PM
In this thread's 56th post, Zagazags entitles his post "Not Bryan Alberts." ZZ, are you saying definitively that the young man hosted over the weekend (the object of this thread) wasn't Bryan Alberts? Is Kiddwell reading you correctly here?

If so, tell us more. (Trust us. We here at GUBoards can keep a secret.)

exclusivelee
10-23-2013, 10:04 PM
In this thread's 56th post, Zagazags entitles his post "Not Bryan Alberts." ZZ, are you saying definitively that the young man hosted over the weekend (the object of this thread) wasn't Bryan Alberts? Is Kiddwell reading you correctly here?

If so, tell us more. (Trust us. We here at GUBoards can keep a secret.)

If you read Bryan Albert's twitter feed, he specifically says that he visited Gonzaga over the weekend

sonuvazag
10-23-2013, 10:18 PM
I think ZZ was stating it was not Alberts that caused the Zags to go cold on Malik Pope, but the broken legs.

ZagaZags
10-23-2013, 10:20 PM

THE BROKEN LEG x 2 WAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZagaZags
10-23-2013, 10:22 PM
I think ZZ was stating it was not Alberts that caused the Zags to go cold on Malik Pope, but the broken legs.

You are a very smart person Sonuvazag. :)

ZagaZags
10-23-2013, 10:25 PM
Yep he visited 1,000,000,000,000,000% sure.

ZagaZags
10-23-2013, 11:15 PM
Zippy, I was not yelling at you. Just wanted to clear something up. :)

Malastein
10-24-2013, 01:28 AM
Personally, I like Alberts alot, and I have done a lot of research on him (not so sure others who have posted here have). Anyone who doubts Alberts talent is definitely on something (neg). I hope he chooses to come to GU. A tough, smart kid with high IQ (which Mark Few likes). He's a great passer. He sounds like a combo-guard to me, which Mark Few really likes. If he does come to GU he will not disappoint fans. Oh Yeah. He can dunk too. Which I like. lol

Don't you know it's all about the stars. Guys who are 5 stars are always better the guys with 3 stars. The NBA only takes guys who were 5 stars in high school.

ZagaZags
10-24-2013, 01:45 AM
Don't you know it's all about the stars. Guys who are 5 stars are always better the guys with 3 stars. The NBA only takes guys who were 5 stars in high school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Az9pQWdP8

bigblahla
10-24-2013, 05:15 AM

Yep it's about numbers for me. Numbers like 35% from 3pt land and 64% from the foul line. Others may find those numbers encouraging for a 2/3 but I don't. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

SWZag
10-24-2013, 06:06 AM
I'm with you. I think Alberts is a good get and I would be extremely pleased.

As a side note to some, there is much more to coaching a basketball team than just what the media talks and youtube. There's aspects of team chemistry, response to coaching, and many other puzzle pieces that add a whole dimension to recruiting that very few on here have experience in. If Few finds something he really likes in a player, it has nothing to do with stars.

SWZag

Zagaholic
10-24-2013, 06:12 AM
In Few we trust.

If the coaches prefer one recruit over another, I think their track record speaks for itself.

Zagdawg
10-24-2013, 06:34 AM
Good to see there are a few fans out there that think Few and the staff know what they are doing......unlike the other 'club".

Go Zags

Kiddwell
10-24-2013, 06:43 AM
THE BROKEN LEG x 2 WAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the clarification, ZZ. (Next time, please, don't post so loud. You woke up Kiddwell's faithful dog Towzer.)

bigblahla
10-24-2013, 06:48 AM
Good to see there are a few fans out there that think Few and the staff know what they are doing......unlike the other 'club".

Go Zags

No offense to you Zagdawg but posts like this annoy me. I happen to ALSO be a Mark Few fan but do not think the sun rises and sets in his arse. As far as the other "club" if it's the free thinkers who exercise individual thought put me front and center.

I don't see where or how Alberts fits unless someone is leaving early and I'm not talking about Karno. I don't think he is untalented I just don't like his stats for the position nor see how he fills a NEED.

Pangos, Bell, Dranginis, Coleman, Nunez, Perkins, Melson, Where does Alberts fit? Redshirt?

My mind is open so show me the error in my thinking.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

cjm720
10-24-2013, 06:57 AM
I'm fairly certain Mark Few is a "free thinker." Following recruits and rankings and aligning what we need to that is the opposite of "free thinking."

My assumption is that this is not a this recruit for that recruit scenario, but what do I know. Bottom line, very few know what's going on...but certain hype, this thread included, has set expectations that just perhaps are different from what Coach believes.

jazzdelmar
10-24-2013, 06:57 AM
No offense to you Zagdawg but posts like this annoy me. I happen to ALSO be a Mark Few fan but do not think the sun rises and sets in his arse. As far as the other "club" if it's the free thinkers who exercise individual thought put me front and center.

I don't see where or how Alberts fits unless someone is leaving early and I'm not talking about Karno. I don't think he is untalented I just don't like his stats for the position nor see how he fills a NEED.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

++++++1

Zagdawg
10-24-2013, 07:20 AM
I'm sorry you feel annoyed by my opinion--- I think we both admit we have no clue about where the coaching staff is headed with recruits and what is going on in the background-- the primary difference is I trust the coaching staff and Few have a plan/idea about what is going on with the team and what they see the team on a daily basis and that is why they are getting their paychecks from the school and I am not.

Keep in mind--the staff does not owe us an explanation around what they are doing or need to plan around fans opinions/wants-- Tommy made that perfectly clear at the Alum event held in Spokane.

Just my opinion -- I am sorry if it makes you feel annoyed. It probably makes you the feel the same way as it makes many of us feel when someone posts something about the staff/recruits when they have no clue what is going on in the background.

As a labeled "no-nothing' -- I can admit I don't know what is going on in the background and accept it. Will I agree with all of the staffs decisions --no-- but I can accept they have a pretty good idea what they have planned out.

As for jazz....well he is jazz and we know what he thinks of Few and the Zag coaching staff.

Go Zags.

jazzdelmar
10-24-2013, 07:31 AM
I'm sorry you feel annoyed by my opinion--- I think we both admit we have no clue about where the coaching staff is headed with recruits and what is going on in the background-- the primary difference is I trust the coaching staff and Few have a plan/idea about what is going on with the team and what they see the team on a daily basis and that is why they are getting their paychecks from the school and I am not.

Keep in mind--the staff does not owe us an explanation around what they are doing or need to plan around fans opinions/wants-- Tommy made that perfectly clear at the Alum event held in Spokane.

Just my opinion -- I am sorry if it makes you feel annoyed. It probably makes you the feel the same way as it makes many of us feel when someone posts something about the staff/recruits when they have no clue what is going on in the background.

As a labeled "no-nothing' -- I can admit I don't know what is going on in the background and accept it. Will I agree with all of the staffs decisions --no-- but I can accept they have a pretty good idea what they have planned out.

As for jazz....well he is jazz and we know what he thinks of Few and the Zag coaching staff.

Go Zags.

Dawg, while you're confessing to knowing little or nothing about recruiting and what the staff thinks -- a sentiment we all share -- why do you then purport to know exactly what I think of them?

Let me help you. I think Few is a terrific coach and a better person. The staff seems quite able and I am sure devoted. But they are not without flaws; who is? I have a healthy skepticism of all that goes on up there. I am not willing to write a blank "I believe blindly" check to Few or any of them. I suspect Blah generally shares that view, as do many others.

I admire your fandom but just dont share its parameters. I strongly disagree with your comment that the staff owes us nothing. Fans, in general, are the reason they are so well paid. They have a degree of accountability, certainly not to any individual follower but to fans per se.

I do apologize for the "no nothing" label, though. It's quite bereft of meaning. "Flat earthers," now that sings....:)

bigblahla
10-24-2013, 07:47 AM

Go Zags.

Zagdawg

Sent you a pm. peace ..bigblahla

amaronizag
10-24-2013, 08:30 AM
A lot of the previous posts (including my own) have been saying we need to focus on the 4 and 5 spots rather than guards. However, it is also a fact that we actively recruit walk-on's. I doubt we are trying to stack the bench with more scholarship guards, but wouldn't be at all surprised at Few snatching a walk-on guard when he is ready, able, and willing to be a ZAG, while at the same time working to fill scholarships at the 4 and 5 spots.

hooter73
10-24-2013, 11:20 AM
just for funzies Im going to throw out an idea that no one has brought up due to the extreme unlikelihood of it happening...

Coaches now foreseeing another early exit that would free up a spot in the guard rotation? Not saying NBA, but leaving college early. ???

Now I will sit back and continue to watch the disjointed fun.

maynard g krebs
10-24-2013, 11:24 AM
When somebody throws in Manny Arop in a group of recruiting mistakes, it causes me to lose all respect for that person's capacity for rational thought or reasonable discourse. He was a terrific talent, a legit top 100 player. Apparently failed to master the system at GU, but that's something you just can't always tell in advance. I, along with many others, was really excited about him as a recruit, and I don't remember any complaints when he was signed. Ain't hindsight great?

exclusivelee
10-24-2013, 11:31 AM
When somebody throws in Manny Arop in a group of recruiting mistakes, it causes me to lose all respect for that person's capacity for rational thought or reasonable discourse. He was a terrific talent, a legit top 100 player. Apparently failed to master the system at GU, but that's something you just can't always tell in advance. I, along with many others, was really excited about him as a recruit, and I don't remember any complaints when he was signed. Ain't hindsight great?

I absolutely loved Manny. Not sure how anyone could call him a mistake. He didn't fit in the system and is now playing for Indiana State, getting good minutes (like 29 a game), averaging over 11 points and 5 rebounds a game. His free throw shooting is pretty good now too (around 80%). With a bigger role, his confidence was regained.

Same goes for Grant Gibbs. He was injured for most of his time at Gonzaga. Now, he's the ultimate glue guy for Creighton

GUZag08
10-24-2013, 11:39 AM
Mistake maybe cuz he was a headcase. Same with Bol Kong.

Know for a fact that players on the team told Few not to take Kong. Probably not the same with Mangisto but who knows.

jazzdelmar
10-24-2013, 11:58 AM

This was my definition of recruiting "dud" -- did not work out at Gonzaga. Period. Arop, Kong, the great shooter from Maine, Gibbs, Vilarino, the twin Euros, or any of a host of transfer outs you care to mention were all duds, IMO. They may become famous pro stars, thoracic surgeons, or circuit court judges, god bless, but they were all duds in Spokane. Now I need to get my head around not having your respect.

sonuvazag
10-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Arop was four stars and if Few had backed off him to pursue a three-star player wouldn't he have been doing the same thing he is being criticized for now?

ZagaZags
10-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the clarification, ZZ. (Next time, please, don't post so loud. You woke up Kiddwell's faithful dog Towzer.)

I was not yelling at you Kiddwell. :) Tell your dog I'm sorry.

Zippyzaggy
10-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Zippy, I was not yelling at you. Just wanted to clear something up. :)

Not offended...just sitting back and enjoying the show. Quite entertaining.

But, you might should have screamed at me for spelling "glean" wrong. Is "gleam" a word?

Anyhow, I know you think GU backed off of Pope because of the two broken legs, and it makes some sense. Pope knows exactly why. He just didn't come out with it, exactly. He simply said "something happened". Thus, my throwing in the "Alberts happened" statement. Sarcasm?

What we know: Something DID happen...I AM interested in the injury theory though. Hmmm, injuries and how the staff relates to player's development after the fact, let alone before. Andy Poling? Grant Gibbs? A kid with a bad hip from Maine, remember him? A highly recruited, by GU, player whom broke a leg times two, and suddenly "something" happens? Could it be that, just for the sake of speculation, what happened might have been via Pope's personal decision?

Injuries...Word does get around.

cjm720
10-24-2013, 12:45 PM
The second Pope said he liked warm weather I figured we were out...doubt coach thinks like that but who knows!

Zagaholic
10-24-2013, 01:06 PM

Pangos, Bell, Dranginis, Coleman, Nunez, Perkins, Melson, Where does Alberts fit? Redshirt?

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

This is where that scholarship chart would come in handy. It seems that he would be a redshirt candidate based on sheer numbers, however I believe Pangos, Bell, Barham, and Coleman would all be seniors when he is a freshman (if he does not redshirt).

exclusivelee
10-24-2013, 01:12 PM
It seems that he would be a redshirt candidate based on sheer numbers, however I believe Pangos, Bell, Barham, and Coleman would all be seniors when he is a freshman (if he does not redshirt).

Barham is gone after this season

Draino and Nunez would be juniors

exclusivelee
10-24-2013, 01:18 PM
This is where that scholarship chart would come in handy.

chart:

http://i.imgur.com/4Nm5VFq.png (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgEe3qHHkqM7dHhFenJSYmFTQ0VFdTJUMENXVHQ2O Xc#gid=5)

ZagnetitForce
10-24-2013, 01:46 PM
The second Pope said he liked warm weather I figured we were out...doubt coach thinks like that but who knows!

The "second" Pope passed away a long time ago....likes real cold weather now. :bishop_smiley: