PDA

View Full Version : First Game Challenge

JustNet
10-19-2013, 06:59 PM
OK, we all know the schedule, so tell me which game will present the greatest initial challenge to our Zags, and why.

Oregonzagnut
10-19-2013, 07:51 PM
WSU cougars. IMO, based on conference, tradition and what happened last year, the WSU game will be a great game. Even though it is in Spokane it will be the first real test. Unless WSU is really bad, the next real test will be the first DivI team in Maui. Baylor?

Reborn
10-20-2013, 07:27 AM
I like how the schedule is laid out. We begin with a few games where the Zags will need to really begin to work on building cohesiveness. We have 3 new starters and one who has not even played with the other four. Coleman is a very good player and the team will need to begin to work on how Gonzaga will use him, or what his role will be on the team. I feel the same with PK because he had a very limited role last year. This year He will be a bigger part of the offensive sets. Well, now that I'm thinking about it, we could say the same thing about Dower. The Zags will need these first few games to work these things out. WSU will be the toughest game in the early part of the season for sure. WSU almost always gives GU fits because its a rivalry game. Gonzaga had better have some things ironed out by the Cougar game.

Bulldog
10-20-2013, 08:51 AM
WSU is predicted to finish last in Pac-12

75Zag
10-20-2013, 09:04 AM
WSU was predicted to be very bad - and that was before their JC transfer point guard Lawhorn left the program earlier this week. I get the whole "anybody can beat anybody at any time" concept, but I am thinking the Cougs are going to be a doormat this year. Unless our front court is really, really bad (and I am assuming they will be good) I think GU's first challenge game will be at Maui. If they lose to anybody before Maui it could be a really long year.

Go Bulldogs!

thickman1
10-20-2013, 09:11 AM
WSU should be a win. The Cougs have fallen off the cliff since Bennett bolted for UVA. They used to be my favorite team to watch after GU but they are simply terrible to watch now.

Oregonzagnut
10-20-2013, 09:21 AM
WSU is predicted to finish last in Pac-12

WSU finished last in the Pac-12 last year too! And we barely won. Literally. That game last year was a HUGE test for us and it was Pangos' biggest 2 pts of the year. IMO. WSU always plays on a whole other level against us, and it isn't even a case of anyone can have their on night, WSU usually seems to give us fits. WSU beat us badly by 22 pts 3 years ago in 10-11.

lv2hoop
10-20-2013, 09:23 AM
Not to hijack this thread, but I'm predicting the next coach at Wazzu to be Wayne Tinkle from Montana.

exclusivelee
10-20-2013, 09:50 AM
I agree with Wazzu being an early test. They are like most WCC teams; it seems like they come prepared to play well against Gonzaga and then take a nap against all other competition.

Beyond Wazzu, Baylor looks to be a real challenge in the Maui Invitational. They have 2 skilled bigs that could tear us apart, and Brady Heslip looks to be a force to be reckoned with in the backcourt after how well he played for Canada during the summer.