PDA

View Full Version : Whaddya think of the new format/layout?

thespywhozaggedme
10-17-2013, 05:03 PM
I didn't even know a change was coming, but I like it. What say you?

Oregonzagnut
10-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Considering it locked me out for about 3 hours I need more time to adjust. I went through withdrawals and had flashbacks of when I got banned. But so far I don't see any functional difference and it feels softer on the eyes.

Any chat room?

exclusivelee
10-17-2013, 05:12 PM
I didn't notice a calendar before, but now that I do, I wish the calendar (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/calendar.php) would display dates past December 2009... like if we could make it so that it displays Gonzaga's games throughout the year

RenoZag
10-17-2013, 05:46 PM
I didn't notice a calendar before, but now that I do, I wish the calendar (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/calendar.php) would display dates past December 2009... like if we could make it so that it displays Gonzaga's games throughout the year

We've always had a calendar but it hasn't been updated since 2009. . .apparently the S-R doesn't give a rip

rijman
10-17-2013, 06:09 PM
I don't like it better, it's okay. I follow 2 forums on a daily basis, the other one also completely changed their look 2 weeks ago, but that one had compatibility issues with some browsers, hopefully this forum won't have any of those problems.

kitzbuel
10-17-2013, 06:13 PM
I didn't even know a change was coming, but I like it. What say you?

There was that announcement that sat at the top of all the forums for a couple of weeks. :)

Zagdawg
10-17-2013, 07:23 PM
Still getting used to it -- it's starting to grow on me though.

jazzdelmar
10-17-2013, 07:31 PM
C plus.....lots of graphics, too many. Cleaner would have been better. For example, the repeating solid blue bars are distracting and unnecessary, IMO.

sittingon50
10-17-2013, 07:41 PM
For starters, where do I go to put someone on my ignore list?

Edit: Never mind. I found it (quite accidentally).

KStyles
10-17-2013, 07:43 PM
For starters, where do I go to put someone on my ignore list?

Click on their name to go to their profile. You'll see this on the left:

http://i.imgur.com/dzpGVNy.png
http://i.imgur.com/kN078oz.png

Click 'Add to Ignore List'

Ezag
10-17-2013, 07:52 PM
I don't like it

Salsageek
10-17-2013, 08:03 PM
I like it. Looks cleaner to me. Wish we could have rep back. :)

Birddog
10-17-2013, 08:04 PM
meh at best

GoZags
10-17-2013, 08:12 PM
The fix was designed to add capacity and minimize "crashes" during high demand times. I know there are members of other boards that like to say the mods shut down the board after tough losses ... But the fact of the matter is the "old"'system couldn't handle the activity.

LongIslandZagFan
10-17-2013, 08:15 PM
We will continue to work on cleaning it up... such as putting something other than vBulletin at the top. But the truth is, we've been sitting on a old version of vBulletin and we've needed to upgrade.

Zag 77
10-17-2013, 08:27 PM
Put me down for a "no" vote.

One of my life philosophies is that Change is BAD. I don't like change. It was fine the way it was.

:enraged:

Oh yes, and you darned kids get off my lawn!

Oregonzagnut
10-17-2013, 08:31 PM
The fix was designed to add capacity and minimize "crashes" during high demand times. I know there are members of other boards that like to say the mods shut down the board after tough losses ... But the fact of the matter is the "old"'system couldn't handle the activity.

So, I noticed that "add capacity" did not apply to my inbox. Any way for me to increase my inbox space? Does money talk?

DixieZag
10-17-2013, 08:38 PM
We will continue to work on cleaning it up... such as putting something other than vBulletin at the top. But the truth is, we've been sitting on a old version of vBulletin and we've needed to upgrade.

I like it LIZF.

I have found out too many times that one's initial impression of anything on the net that has been the same a long time is negative. And, just as certain, after a week everyone will be seeing the benefits and never want to go back.

I think the biggest thing you were up against is that our old format was pretty good. Not a lot of gimmicks, pretty straightforward and relatively clean. I only had to go to another site to see how much I like ours better. (And I'm not just talking about the highlighter spill at Donscentral or the scroll through ten pages to see 20 posts godisagael (though at least their fans know what they are talking about).

Good work, I know it is a lot of work. Thanks

webspinnre
10-17-2013, 09:13 PM

Yeah, I'd love to see some work done on the overall skin. The functionality is nice, but the skin leaves something to be desired.

ZagaZags
10-17-2013, 10:19 PM
How do you reply with a title over the reply?

tyra
10-17-2013, 10:32 PM
I don't know how I feel about the new format yet.,I will have to use it a while. But I know that I am very grateful for all the work the mods and supermods do to enable this Zag-loving community to communicate. Thank you Mods!

maynard g krebs
10-17-2013, 11:21 PM
Pastels suck. This is draining to look at. Old board looked great.

SLOZag
10-17-2013, 11:26 PM
Like it. Will the appearance remain ad-free?

ZagaZags
10-17-2013, 11:27 PM

+1

webspinnre
10-17-2013, 11:32 PM

Yep, this is what I'm talking about with fixing the skin. The color scheme is the only thing that particularly bothers me about the change.

jazzdelmar
10-18-2013, 01:09 AM
Thanks mods for all your great work.

kitzbuel
10-18-2013, 03:14 AM
Thanks mods for all your great work.

This has been the Spokesman Review team who runs this site for free to us that are doing the work. The upgrade needed to be done to get us on a newer, supported version and to address security issues. The team is still working on cosmetics, but the OS and application upgrades were done pretty quickly.

gu03alum
10-18-2013, 03:41 AM
It's awesome! We can embed videos now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0

Birddog
10-18-2013, 05:35 AM
It makes me sign in every time I visit even when I check the "remember me" box. I'm on the pastel sucks side. It needs the contrast of the old look.

gu03alum
10-18-2013, 05:44 AM
It's not letting me embed images. Please fix soon. I am back to not liking it.

kitzbuel
10-18-2013, 06:08 AM
It's not letting me embed images. Please fix soon. I am back to not liking it.

There should be an option like 'Retrieve from remote location.' Uncheck that and it should let you embed the image.

gu03alum
10-18-2013, 06:31 AM
There should be an option like 'Retrieve from remote location.' Uncheck that and it should let you embed the image.

Thanks Kitz!

http://funinspokanewa.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/apg_12592863041.jpg

Zagcity
10-18-2013, 07:06 AM

Way over this old farts head ;)

gozagswoohoo
10-18-2013, 07:19 AM
Testing image uploadery function

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/bradance.jpg (http://s73.photobucket.com/user/gozagswoohoo/media/bradance.jpg.html)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/chuck.jpg (http://s73.photobucket.com/user/gozagswoohoo/media/chuck.jpg.html)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/espn.jpg (http://s73.photobucket.com/user/gozagswoohoo/media/espn.jpg.html)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/rob.jpg (http://s73.photobucket.com/user/gozagswoohoo/media/rob.jpg.html)

DixieZag
10-18-2013, 07:33 AM
I guess I concur about the color being darker - it was fine last night when the light was down but with day light streaming it, makes it a little tough to see. Thankfully, I would think that is about the easiest adjust there could be, right?

stevet75
10-18-2013, 07:49 AM
If the new format works better, I am pleased. As far as the new look - it just doesn't look that different.

LongIslandZagFan
10-18-2013, 08:23 AM
Growing on me as well. Not that I didn't like it initially. Just needs branding work done on the template.

gozagswoohoo
10-18-2013, 08:26 AM
I just wish we would have had a 'heads up'.....I didn't even get a chance to say goodbye...

Oregonzagnut
10-18-2013, 08:33 AM
I have had several e-mail accounts at places like yahoo and google and each one has individual formatting options where we can choose our own colors and backgrounds. Any chance we can customize our pages with this program? I am sure the options are there with this software, it is just a question of the moderators or SR releasing the options to all of us. This is why I wold like to be able to pay for some added benefits and "perks". More inbox space, customizable formatting and maybe a chat-room.

However, I too thank the mods for at least trying to improve it and realizing that numbers will only increase as Gonzaga becomes consistently and nationally recognized.

VinnyZag
10-18-2013, 08:46 AM
I don't like it at the moment, but I'm familiar enough with redesigns to be cognizant of the fact that within a couple of weeks I'll have forgotten that it ever looked different.

NumberCruncher
10-18-2013, 08:59 AM
It's wider.

kitzbuel
10-18-2013, 09:04 AM
It makes me sign in every time I visit even when I check the "remember me" box. I'm on the pastel sucks side. It needs the contrast of the old look.

Don't use your old bookmarks. Delete them and then re-add with this new page. It should remember you then.

TexasZagFan
10-18-2013, 09:18 AM

Lord, I pray that CGI Federal has called you to fix the Obamacare website. :)

ZonaZag
10-18-2013, 09:33 AM
Is anyone else having issues with the Tapatalk app on iOS no longer working? It is throwing an error saying the server here is not setup correctly.

Pargo the Destroyer
10-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Yep. It's a messageboard

gamagin
10-18-2013, 10:12 AM
it looks like what comes out of my printer when its low on ink.

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-18-2013, 10:15 AM

This feature could really beef up the quality of x's and o's related postings by allowing you to back-up your statements with video evidence.
For example, when I point out that the Zags most offensively efficient lineup is a small one (Stockton, Pangos, Bell, Sam and Karno) I can include a clip of DStocks dropping dimes and Pangos shooting the lights out.

And when those who fear such a 3-guard lineup argue it's too vulnerable defensively, I can rebut with a clip of this small-ball lineup using a 2-3 zone effectively (and keeping Sam and Karno on the court and out of foul trouble while doing it).

If I knew how to imbed video that is :D

Zippyzaggy
10-18-2013, 10:19 AM
I can't stand the new "look".

It looks washed out. Also, poster's tag lines appear almost like they are part of their current post. And, the cutesy little icons...I have a hard time telling what they are doing. Smiling or frowning or, or , or.

Suppose I'll have to get used to it....but IT SUCKS!

* Erm, is it just me, or does my face look fatter? ;)

Kiddwell
10-18-2013, 10:21 AM
...and Kiddwell doesn't feel fine.

Looks Like Pooh, a poem
<ahem>
The World's in the mook,
The Mods made a "smell,"
For G'Boards new look,
Is the layout from [heck].

:[

primal23
10-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Can I finally put myself on my ignore list? Just want to take advantage of what some probably already have :p:starwars:

ZaGranny
10-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Not sure what I think! Still trying to figure it out. Where do you go now for what used to be User Control Panel--to change avatar, etc.

ZaGranny :confused:

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-18-2013, 11:00 AM
I think this would look a lot better if the background was an eye-melting shade of Day-Glo yellow.

Y'all really ought to take a look at the great color scheme they adopted at Dons Central.

gozagswoohoo
10-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Not sure what I think! Still trying to figure it out. Where do you go now for what used to be User Control Panel--to change avatar, etc.

ZaGranny :confused:

Top middle/left of screen in the dark blue, it says "Forum Actions". Click that and there will be a drop-down menu. Click Edit Profile.

77Zag
10-18-2013, 11:15 AM
“In the first week, first month, first three months, I would suspect that there will be glitches....And there are going to be problems... And I guarantee you, there will be problems because we’ve got precedent... It took several months before everything was smoothed out.”

Sound familiar?

I actually like the new format

Go Zags!!

jake
10-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Maybe this is something with my monitor settings, but the font got smaller and the posts are super wide now, almost too wide to read easily.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
10-18-2013, 11:36 AM
Considering it locked me out for about 3 hours I need more time to adjust. I went through withdrawals and had flashbacks of when I got banned. But so far I don't see any functional difference and it feels softer on the eyes.

Any chat room?

LOL LOL :)!!

What gets you banned??? I love everyone here so much I would be crushed.

PLEASE don't ban me. PLEASE! Go Zags! :) LOL

How are we going to defend the Memphis guards this year??? Zone????

GrizZAG
10-18-2013, 11:41 AM
I think this would look a lot better if the background was an eye-melting shade of Day-Glo yellow.

Y'all really ought to take a look at the great color scheme they adopted at Dons Central.

You have a good sense of humor (I hope). The Gaels board is nauseating to look at and Dons is right there too. Subtle is good. Font could be a bit bolder as some have noted. Nice and clean and I like it.

Ekrub
10-18-2013, 11:56 AM
Having trouble with gifs. any suggestions?

Ekrub
10-18-2013, 11:58 AM
http://awesomegifs.com/wp-content/uploads/i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills.gif

Never mind, got it.

Zagnailler
10-18-2013, 12:15 PM
I like it. There is a bit of a learning curve but the improvements are definitely worth it.

exclusivelee
10-18-2013, 01:36 PM
maybe it's just from my end, but my search results are coming up empty all of a sudden...

I searched "Travis" and only got 1 thread: http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/search.php?searchid=210

I searched "Sabonis" and received the message:

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

GoZags
10-18-2013, 02:19 PM
“In the first week, first month, first three months, I would suspect that there will be glitches....And there are going to be problems... And I guarantee you, there will be problems because we’ve got precedent... It took several months before everything was smoothed out.”

Sound familiar?

I actually like the new format

Go Zags!!

Zag77 votes 2 thumbs way down. 77Zag votes in favor of the new digs. As a fellow '77 classmate I'll vote "present".

KStyles
10-18-2013, 02:31 PM
Is anyone else having issues with the Tapatalk app on iOS no longer working? It is throwing an error saying the server here is not setup correctly.

Yep, I was using Android but had the same issue yesterday, haven't tried today. There is a plugin that needs to be added to the forum on the back end for Tapatalk to work. I'm guessing that wasn't a high priority compared to making sure the rest of the forum is working correctly, but hopefully that will be fixed soon.

TexasZagFan
10-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Zag77 votes 2 thumbs way down. 77Zag votes in favor of the new digs. As a fellow '77 classmate I'll vote "present".

Gutsy move!

I wonder how the '76ers are voting?

I'm fine with it, though I liked the old icons better.

Unbiased
10-18-2013, 04:38 PM
Maybe this is something with my monitor settings, but the font got smaller and the posts are super wide now, almost too wide to read easily.

+1

Radbooks
10-18-2013, 04:58 PM

If you hold the Ctrl button down and move the roller on your mouse you can make the font size larger or smaller on any page.

LongIslandZagFan
10-18-2013, 05:13 PM
In regards to missing posts, check your settings. You can limit what you see now. I know mine was defaulted to 30 days or something like that.

Calendar issue... please go to the Calendar now and click Today.

New version lets me control the calendar, don't have to be a SuperAdmin like in the past. Range of years was set at 2003-2009. Changed it to 2030.

ZaGranny
10-18-2013, 05:25 PM
As far as I can tell, the only way to put a title on a reply is to post it, then go into edit and add a title. Is there an easier way?

ZaGranny

Zag365
10-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Recognizing that it takes a week or so to get used to new look/feel, I agree with others that colors/contrast make things look washed out, messages are too wide across entire screen, and poster's tag lines look like part of the message.

LongIslandZagFan
10-18-2013, 05:54 PM
As far as I can tell, the only way to put a title on a reply is to post it, then go into edit and add a title. Is there an easier way?

ZaGranny

Just click on Go Advanced and you have the option.

LongIslandZagFan
10-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Recognizing that it takes a week or so to get used to new look/feel, I agree with others that colors/contrast make things look washed out, messages are too wide across entire screen, and poster's tag lines look like part of the message.

Working on it.

thespywhozaggedme
10-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Cool, note the GU hat right at the 15 second of the video next to the alarm clock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnww5BSmN0k

gonwick
10-18-2013, 09:22 PM
I use my phone to browse a lot, and with the new board, when I click on the navigate menu, there is no way for me to get to old dogs, which I often check. The old board had a nice dropdown menu, this one has no scrolling option , just cutting off after several options.

Also, although the old board didn't have it, I have seen similar boards that have an "all" option after the page number list for long threads (which results in a single long page showing all posts) a nice feature for game threads so you don't have to keep flipping pages. If that can be added, it would make up for the pastels. Almost.

Thanks to those hard at work on making the board better.

SWZag
10-19-2013, 02:38 AM
It's different, and any changes take time to get used to. But my initial instinct is that I don't care for it as much. The other was so simple that it was attractive and nice. But, time should help get over the initial "What the..." (I sure hope)

SWZag

Edited to add that it doesn't appear that you can stay logged in. I go to www.guboards.com and it comes up each time to log in, even after selecting to keep logged in.

kitzbuel
10-19-2013, 04:39 AM
Yep, I was using Android but had the same issue yesterday, haven't tried today. There is a plugin that needs to be added to the forum on the back end for Tapatalk to work. I'm guessing that wasn't a high priority compared to making sure the rest of the forum is working correctly, but hopefully that will be fixed soon.

We notified the admins of this and they will work it.

kitzbuel
10-19-2013, 04:42 AM
It's different, and any changes take time to get used to. But my initial instinct is that I don't care for it as much. The other was so simple that it was attractive and nice. But, time should help get over the initial "What the..." (I sure hope)

SWZag

Edited to add that it doesn't appear that you can stay logged in. I go to www.guboards.com and it comes up each time to log in, even after selecting to keep logged in.

Delete your old bookmarks and type the actual URL in a few times. I was having the same issue, deleted and the re-added the the bookmark and now have no problems logging right back in.

bartruff1
10-19-2013, 06:34 AM
It is much too expensive.... thanks for all you do..it is better than Windows 8...

stevet75
10-19-2013, 07:17 AM
Maybe it's just my old eyes, but this pastel theme is hard on my eyes. It reminds me of a newborns nursery.

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-19-2013, 08:46 AM
With the original GU Boards forum, I used to wake up on a Saturday morning, roll out of bed, make coffee, sit down in front of computer in boxers and full bed-head.
With this new version, I feel like I have to shower, comb my hair and get dressed before logging in.

Sad but true....
AND
I appreciate this forum very much so, bottom line, as long as it's free and we retain the same community of posters / trollers / flamers / homers etc.... I LOVE IT.

THANK YOU MODS:)

75Zag
10-19-2013, 09:01 AM
A bit hard on my old eyes, but I have the same problem with the new Apple iPhone software update - the type font is hard for me to read, so I assume the problem is my eyes and not the software.

Go Bulldogs!

Pallet
10-19-2013, 09:01 AM
With the original GU Boards forum, I used to wake up on a Saturday morning, roll out of bed, make coffee, sit down in front of computer in boxers and full bed-head.
With this new version, I feel like I have to shower, comb my hair and get dressed before logging in.

So the new board is like being in a relationship and the old board was like having a booty call?

Final4Zag
10-19-2013, 01:26 PM
Maybe it's just my old eyes, but this pastel theme is hard on my eyes. It reminds me of a newborns nursery.

+1

Zagdog71
10-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Hard to live without the ads. But I'll try!

Ekrub
10-19-2013, 03:04 PM
So the new board is like being in a relationship and the old board was like having a booty call?

pretty sure it would be the opposite.

LongIslandZagFan
10-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Hard to live without the ads. But I'll try!

Something tells me they are working hard on fixing that.

DixieZag
10-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Something tells me they are working hard on fixing that.

That is funny. I hadn't even noticed. Now I will.

As one who has liked it from the beginning (albeit, the colors could be darker) it is obvious that the biggest problem is that our last one was so good. I'm sure a few tweeks and this'll be great.

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-19-2013, 09:31 PM

I would never be in a relationship with someone who expected me to shower, dress and comb my hair before checking out the GU Board Forums for the latest news on my Zags.

btzag
10-20-2013, 11:04 AM
A bit hard on my old eyes, but I have the same problem with the new Apple iPhone software update - the type font is hard for me to read, so I assume the problem is my eyes and not the software.

Go Bulldogs!

No, I also find the new layout AND the iOS7 update hard to view and a slight step backwards.

I work in web design/development and have seen many instances where the 'new and improved' design was soundly rejected by the end users. That being said I do like most of the new site but for improvements would start with cleaning up the main page. Way too much detail is displayed which makes the page busy and hard to find what I normally look for; subject line of post, page #'s for post, and user/time of last post. Make that information bold and easily viewed and I'd be happy. Oh and change the color scheme.

abarefootboy
10-20-2013, 11:19 AM
i salute the desire to grow,improve and move civilization forward .. yet .. alas .. i find the new format hard to look at. i miss the old one .

Ezag
10-23-2013, 09:04 AM
Now that we have had this a little while, how are people finding this? I am still having a hard time adjusting....not sure what it is but it still seems to me the old site was much easier to look at and read....nonetheless, I have not yet thanked the admins for their hard work and dedication to this board. Thank you!

NumberCruncher
10-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Now that we have had this a little while, how are people finding this? I am still having a hard time adjusting....not sure what it is but it still seems to me the old site was much easier to look at and read....nonetheless, I have not yet thanked the admins for their hard work and dedication to this board. Thank you!

I think it looks great. Liked it before, but it's better now.

exclusivelee
10-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Now that we have had this a little while, how are people finding this?

Only problem I am concerned with is the "search" function. If you were to search for something in the forum, the results would only be displayed from October 17 (the day of the upgrade) to today.

Try searching for "Sabonis" and you'll see the dilemma.

RenoZag
10-23-2013, 11:35 AM
This new format seems to be faring better than the one addressed by the editorial cartoon below. . .

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x375/RenoZag/ObamaCareITTeam_zps72b0dbc0.jpg (http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/RenoZag/media/ObamaCareITTeam_zps72b0dbc0.jpg.html)

Thanks to the S-R and Board administrators for bringing the GUB a more robust system.

Go Zags !

former1dog
10-23-2013, 01:49 PM
Not a big fan, so far.

ZagNative
10-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Not a big fan, so far.Me either .....

Oregonzagnut
10-23-2013, 02:49 PM
This new format seems to be faring better than the one addressed by the editorial cartoon below. . .

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x375/RenoZag/ObamaCareITTeam_zps72b0dbc0.jpg (http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/RenoZag/media/ObamaCareITTeam_zps72b0dbc0.jpg.html)

Thanks to the S-R and Board administrators for bringing the GUB a more robust system.

Go Zags !

Thanks Reno, I agree. Even though it is not immediately visible I trust it is an improvement. However, I want more space in my inbox. Seriously, I constantly have to delete things and people end up telling me "Your inbox is full". During the tournament, I like to keep track of everyone who signs up for the GUBoards bracket contest and I can't do want to do. There is a lot of contacts and PM's that I want to save for my personal reference and to maximize my usage and enjoyment of GUBoards. Yet it is only about 50-75 e-mails at most when my inbox is completely shut down. It annoys th sender and the receiver at the same time. My FREE youtube account, free yahoo account, free google accounts are all nearly impossible to fill up and I see no reason that these inboxes are shockingly small. Actually they are deliberately small. Why? I want to save EVERY e-mail I ever get since space is so cheap nowadays. A dollar a gig or cheaper. Seriously it is almost obnoxious since the cost per gigabyte is less than .10 cents nowadays. IMO, I see no reason that the inboxes can't be 10x the space and if any IT guru worth his salt knows, raw space is absolutely cheap and basically maintenance free. So I request more inbox space. I would gladly pay for a few gigs of space to make my GUBoards experience nearly complete.

A final four or N.C. would be the crowning achievement, but a couple gigs of inbox space would be a close second.

kitzbuel
10-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Not a big fan, so far.

I will be a much bigger fan when they get the Tapatalk working again.

ZaGranny
10-23-2013, 03:13 PM
You used to get a pop up when you got a PM, which was very handy for those of us who do not get a zillion like the above poster. Now I have to check it every day, whether I am expecting a PM or not.

That's my main complaint.

ZaGranny

Hoopaholic
10-23-2013, 03:43 PM
still want a "LIKE" button feature colors are difficult for this old guy but otherwise good to go

zagfaninmt
10-24-2013, 07:57 AM
Like others, I think the color palette could use some contrast. I also think the margins are too wide to read easily. If you could make those two changes, I would be happy with the new format. Thank you, and thanks for all you folks do to keep this forum in existence! It's a daily visit on my rounds.

Ekrub
10-24-2013, 09:52 AM
bring back rep!

jake
10-24-2013, 10:47 AM
Like others, I think the color palette could use some contrast. I also think the margins are too wide to read easily. If you could make those two changes, I would be happy with the new format. Thank you, and thanks for all you folks do to keep this forum in existence! It's a daily visit on my rounds.

Agree times a thousand. I'm always gracious for something as enjoyable as this board, especially when it is free, but if you're still looking for feedback the margins are way too wide and the font and color scheme are harder on the eyes than the old board. I'm still in my 30s, but I feel a strain in my eyes after spending more than 10 minutes reading on this new format.

abarefootboy
10-24-2013, 08:10 PM
My old eyes ( 68 years ) have a hard time with so much white background. There seems to be tremendous glare. I'm thinking different skin options must be available .. or the ability to soften the background colors . I'm learning to really like the functionality and look forward to playing with inserting images and playing with fonts. It has a lively, clean feel to it. I really enjoy this board. Go Zags !!!

KStyles
10-24-2013, 08:14 PM

Agreed.

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-24-2013, 10:53 PM
bring back rep!

what rep?

Oregonzagnut
10-25-2013, 12:11 AM
what rep?

IMO, people earn good or bad rep without little red or green dots. People worth their salt do that with words and posts not red dots. Rep was used and abused to take the easy way out. To silence others they disagree with or do not like personally. There are many more members who will be alienated with this "neg rep" after sharing an unpopular opinion or being intimidated into silence after seeing the pecking order that goes on.

I try to PM or post to people if I feel they have crossed the line. IMO, it builds a board of family and substance. Not vendettas and pettiness.

We have the most loyal fans and best board in the country. That is just my opinion.

Ekrub
10-25-2013, 12:13 PM
one of my favorite reps was being called a wanker for suggesting that the writing was on the wall and keita and monninghoff were on their way out. Its a fun little feature of forums, but if people take it too seriously, I guess I get why its not here. Still, I've seen other forums manage it successfully and I think its a cool feature to have.

mendiant
10-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Pretty!

KStyles
10-28-2013, 06:48 PM

Seems like Tapatalk is now working again.

kitzbuel
10-28-2013, 06:56 PM
Seems like Tapatalk is now working again.

Yeah,I still cannot get the forum to load in my tapatalk browser, just spins on both my Droid4 and iPad.

exclusivelee
10-28-2013, 07:00 PM
Whoa . Just got Tapatalk for free on my Android phone. Last time I checked, I had to pay to use it

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk

kitzbuel
10-29-2013, 06:56 AM
Works from my Droid now.

FuManShoes
10-29-2013, 11:37 AM
Works from my Droid now.

You may be able to read the forum on a mobile browser but it's pretty hard on the eyes. Really surprised a new design didn't take mobile users into account more. Also, in the age of flat design it's weird to see a site relaunched with so many gradiated, skeuomorphic doodads. All in all this seems like something designed for the Web of 5 years ago. Sorry, but this gets a :confused:

kitzbuel
10-29-2013, 12:24 PM
You may be able to read the forum on a mobile browser but it's pretty hard on the eyes. Really surprised a new design didn't take mobile users into account more. Also, in the age of flat design it's weird to see a site relaunched with so many gradiated, skeuomorphic doodads. All in all this seems like something designed for the Web of 5 years ago. Sorry, but this gets a :confused:

Are you using the tapatalk app?

ZaGranny
11-05-2013, 04:21 PM
You used to get a pop up when you got a PM, which was very handy for those of us who do not get a zillion like the above poster. Now I have to check it every day, whether I am expecting a PM or not.

That's my main complaint.

ZaGranny

OK--they do have a notification system. It's next to your user name (as in Welcome, Zagranny Notifications) When you have new PMs it shows unread messages below the word notifications.

ZaGranny