PDA

View Full Version : OT: NBA Players

former1dog
08-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Thought I would add some perspective in reply to what turned out to be a very unpopular post here on the board about NBA Players and their status as "prima donna's" yesterday.

Personally, I don't enjoy the NBA game from a fan's perspective. Perhaps it is a little to business like and often the fan enthusiasm doesn't match that of our beloved college game. Whatever it is, I just don't find myself that interested in watching.

BUT, to characterize the players in general as anything but outstanding is to ignore some basic realities. There are literally millions vying on a yearly basis to be professional basketball players, many of them with outstanding physical gifts, work ethic and skills. 99% of those players will never, ever get even close to making it into the NBA.

Statistically, in any given year, you have a 5 times greater chance of being struck by lightning that being an NBA player. Statistically, it is easier to become the CEO of a Fortune 500 company than it is to be an NBA Player.

What should that tell any casual observer? It ain't easy to make it and just as hard to hold onto it, that is an NBA roster spot.

NBA players must not only have won the genetic lottery of extreme physical gifts and talent, but must have honed those skills to the nth degree. That not only means hard work physically, but last I checked you've got to have some savvy between the ears to be successful at the game of basketball.

The generalization of NBA players as lazy prima donna's in not only inaccurate, it is decidedly false for anyone that cares to examine reality.

Peace.

LongIslandZagFan
08-22-2007, 08:59 AM
Lazy no... Prima Donna's... one only need look at Stephon "Starbury" Marbury for that answer. Yes he gave himself that nickname.

deathchina
08-22-2007, 09:14 AM
There are prima donna's in every sport, including plenty in college basketball. you think Starbury just suddenly became a prima donna when he got to the NBA? Do you really think he changed that much from his time at Georgia Tech?

You really think Gonzaga is the only school that teaches future pros to behave? Of course there are bad apples in every barrel....

DavyZag
08-22-2007, 09:22 AM
Say what you want about Stephon Marbury, but the you've got to give him credit throwing his endorsement, energy, and... yes... star power behind the Starbury One aka the $15 shoe that is completely redifining the shoe industry.

Give this a listen: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5740091

To be completely honest, I think the "problem" isn't necessarily with the NBA somehow turning into a fan unfriendly game... there is more talent in the game today than there ever has been, especially now that it has truly developed into a global league.

No, the problem is that fans feel like they can't relate to or just simply don't understand the culture of today's players, so they write off all the players and the league as selfish and showboating and only out for themselves... what, like Pistol Pete wasn't that? It's all a matter of perception.

LongIslandZagFan
08-22-2007, 11:05 AM
True, there are prima donnas in every sport. I feel the NBA has a disproportionate amount of them. I think that stems from the overtly higher salaries compared to other sports in terms of proportion.

And no DC, I did not state anywhere on this thread that I felt GU is the only school to teach these kids to be humble. I didn't even say that they DID teach them to be humble or if they are even humble at all.

All I said is the NBA is rife with prima donnas.

Angelo Roncalli
08-22-2007, 11:57 AM
"[Michael Vick] is good human being."

'dogfighting is a sport."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/ny-spmarbury225341227aug22,0,2293856.story

dim4sum
08-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Some people read far more into my post than was there. My main point was that I did not feel the NBA was a good fit for Few, since he would be forced to coach many players who were not teachable, and Few is a wonderful teacher. The unteachable players may be supremely talented, but unteachable is unteachable.
Then there was another allegation that made me laugh. My father owned a grocery store at 116th St. and Lennox Avenue in Harlem, and I spent a good portion of my youth there. My parents taught me that spitting is a disgusting habit and that people who drape themselves in jewelry are empty spiritually and intellectually, even if they are great athletes.