PDA

View Full Version : Countdown to Simon Fraser

SWZag
10-15-2013, 09:27 PM
9 days and counting!!! Anxious and ready to get this season started and get my questions answered!

SFU has several Washingtonians on the roster (http://athletics.sfu.ca/roster.aspx?path=mbball).

Matt Staudacher, Kirkland, WA / Lake Washington High
Taylor Dunn, Vancouver, WA / Mountain View High
Darius Page, Seattle, WA / Foster High
David Gebru, Seattle, WA / Rainier Beach High

SWZag

TravelinZag
10-16-2013, 05:28 AM
Since this is an exhibition game, Nunez and Wiltjer can play, correct? My recall of NCAA rules fuzzy, and thinking about them makes my hair hurt!!

thespywhozaggedme
10-16-2013, 06:57 AM
Wow, that's a lot of Americans on a Canadian University roster, but since its the only NCAA school in Canada, that may have something to do with it
9 days and counting!!! Anxious and ready to get this season started and get my questions answered!

SFU has several Washingtonians on the roster (http://athletics.sfu.ca/roster.aspx?path=mbball).

Matt Staudacher, Kirkland, WA / Lake Washington High
Taylor Dunn, Vancouver, WA / Mountain View High
Darius Page, Seattle, WA / Foster High
David Gebru, Seattle, WA / Rainier Beach High

SWZag

scott257
10-16-2013, 07:33 AM
I know it may be too early to answer this question, but does anyone know if this game is going to be on television? Is anyone planning on streaming this game?

It has been a long off-season and I am looking forward to seeing this years team in action.

ZaGranny
10-16-2013, 08:26 AM
Since this is an exhibition game, Nunez and Wiltjer can play, correct? My recall of NCAA rules fuzzy, and thinking about them makes my hair hurt!!

My understanding is that they could only play in the scrimmage, not in any games exhibition or otherwise.

ZaGranny

Reborn
10-16-2013, 09:16 AM
I expect a good game with Simon Frazier. They have a senior dominated team with a couple of good scorers in 6' 4" Taylor Dunn and David Cebru. Cebru is a 6' 9" senior from Rainier High in Seattle. Dunn is from Vancouver, WA. Maybe some of our fans here know these two kids. They have a 3rd player Elijah Mathews a 6' 1" from Washington DC who is also capable of scoring in double figures. I don't expect SF to slow it down. I think they will be a perfect foe for Gonzaga who will try to run up and down the court with us.

I expect Pk to have a good game with SF. I am also expecting Coleman to look better then he did last weekend. It will be fun for fans who get to see this game. Personally, I expect that the scrimmage in Kraziness in the Kennel was tougher then this game with SF will be.

Mr Vulture
10-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Game is on KHQ at 6pm.

I know it may be too early to answer this question, but does anyone know if this game is going to be on television? Is anyone planning on streaming this game?

It has been a long off-season and I am looking forward to seeing this years team in action.

scott257
10-16-2013, 11:27 AM
Game is on KHQ at 6pm.

Thanks. This won't work for me unless someone re-streams it or it is broadcast on one of the regional sports stations that is carried by satellite.

exclusivelee
10-16-2013, 12:11 PM
I bet ridgebackzag will come through with a stream

ZagsZombieNation
10-16-2013, 12:48 PM

Guy Landry Edi played in an exhibition game back in 2011-12 when he wasn't eligible until mid-December of that season, so I would think Nunez could play.

ZagaZags
10-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Wiltjer and Nunez can't play in exhibition games.

KStyles
10-16-2013, 01:07 PM
Guy Landry Edi played in an exhibition game back in 2011-12 when he wasn't eligible until mid-December of that season, so I would think Nunez could play.

Edi was sitting through December due to a NCAA amateurism suspension, not because he was fulfilling transfer requirements. I believe a player with a more similar situation to Kyle and Angel would be Gerard Coleman last year, who didn't play in the exhibition against NW Nazarene (http://www.gozags.com//ViewContent.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26400&CONTENT_ID=247173).

My interpretation of the rules is that Kyle & Angel are still completing their required academic year of residence and are ineligible for intercollegiate competition at this time. http://i.imgur.com/qmUMpbr.gif

From the 2013-2014 NCAA DI Manual (http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D114.pdf):

14.5.5.1 General Rule. A transfer student from a four-year institution shall not be eligible for intercollegiate competition at a member institution until the student has fulfilled a residence requirement of one full academic year (two full semesters or three full quarters) at the certifying institution. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/91, 4/14/10)

14.02.9 Intercollegiate Competition. Intercollegiate competition occurs when a student-athlete in either a two-year or a four-year collegiate institution: (Revised: 1/10/95)

(a) Represents the institution in any contest against outside competition, regardless of how the competition is classified (e.g., scrimmage, exhibition or joint practice session with another institutionís team) or whether the student is enrolled in a minimum full-time program of studies; (Revised: 1/10/91)

14.02.15 Residence. Residence is enrollment in a full-time academic program (as defined by the institution) at a collegiate institution during a regular term of an academic year. A summer term may not be used to satisfy an academic term of residence. Any student-athlete (e.g., qualifier, nonqualifier, transfer student) admitted after the 12th class day may not use that semester or quarter for the purpose of satisfying an academic term or year of residence. (Revised: 4/14/10)

14.02.15.1 Academic Year of Residence. To satisfy an academic year of residence, a student shall: (Revised:4/14/10, 5/14/13)
(a) Be enrolled in and complete a minimum full-time program of studies for two full semesters or three full
quarters; or
(b) Be enrolled in a minimum full-time program of studies for two semesters or three quarters and pass a
number of hours (including hours earned at the certifying institution during a summer term) that is at
least equal to the sum total of the minimum load of each of the required terms.

ZagnetitForce
10-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Wiltjer and Nunez can play in exhibition games.

I kind of hope they do not...we need to see the team as they will be this year and get those who are playing now ready. I know Nunez is this year, but not until Conference games.

exclusivelee
10-16-2013, 01:25 PM
I kind of hope they do not...we need to see the team as they will be this year and get those who are playing now ready. I know Nunez is this year, but not until December 21st, the game against Kansas State

fixed it for you

ZagnetitForce
10-16-2013, 01:55 PM
fixed it for you

Good fix! :clap:

maynard g krebs
10-16-2013, 02:09 PM
I expect a good game with Simon Frazier. They have a senior dominated team with a couple of good scorers in 6' 4" Taylor Dunn and David Cebru. Cebru is a 6' 9" senior from Rainier High in Seattle. Dunn is from Vancouver, WA. Maybe some of our fans here know these two kids.

I saw Staudacher play a couple of times in hs. Made the state tourney final 8 his last year with Darien Nelson-Henry (Penn). Staudacher can really shoot it from 3; scored over 20 in at least one game at State if memory serves. Brother Ryan played at Montana, but Ryan is 6'4 and Matt a shade under 6' if memory serves with average quickness at best, hence a typical D2 guard. Started as a soph on a pretty good LW team, so he can play.

bartruff1
10-16-2013, 02:14 PM
Scrimmage ...everyone that can, plays.

Oregonzagnut
10-16-2013, 02:21 PM
8 days and counting!

thespywhozaggedme
10-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Anyone know if Root will be picking it up for us out of towners? Last years game against Lewis & Clark was, so that gives me some hope.

Game is on KHQ at 6pm.

ZagsZombieNation
10-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Edi was sitting through December due to a NCAA amateurism suspension, not because he was fulfilling transfer requirements. I believe a player with a more similar situation to Kyle and Angel would be Gerard Coleman last year, who didn't play in the exhibition against NW Nazarene (http://www.gozags.com//ViewContent.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26400&CONTENT_ID=247173).

My interpretation of the rules is that Kyle & Angel are still completing their required academic year of residence and are ineligible for intercollegiate competition at this time. http://i.imgur.com/qmUMpbr.gif

From the 2013-2014 NCAA DI Manual (http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D114.pdf):

Thanks for the clarification!

exclusivelee
10-16-2013, 05:46 PM
Anyone know if Root will be picking it up for us out of towners? Last years game against Lewis & Clark was, so that gives me some hope.

the Lewis & Clark game wasn't an exhibition game, just a game against a DII school during the regular season

Last year, Root Sports NW did not pick up the Northwest Nazarene exhibition game and same went for the Carroll College exhibition game in 2011

zag67
10-16-2013, 06:01 PM
Does anyone know if we are going to play Texas in an exhibition game. Thanks

gonwick
10-16-2013, 08:56 PM
I'm not too proud to admit that I thought this was a recruiting thread. Is he a big? Can't wait!

SWZag
10-16-2013, 09:21 PM
I'm not too proud to admit that I thought this was a recruiting thread. Is he a big? Can't wait!

haha, yes, Simon Fraser is a Canadian product out of Burnaby, BC. Visiting 25th of October. Final decision wont be made until there are zeros on the clock, let's hope it's us!

SWZag

DixieZag
10-16-2013, 09:24 PM
As a Can-American (or is it AmeriCan-Can?), I was surprised to hear that SF was an NCAA aligned school. I have always wondered what was stopping some of the bigger schools - UBC, Univ Toronto, McGill, etc from playing across the border.

It is my understanding that Canadian schools do not give athletic schollies - which explains why at any given time the hockey line-up at Michigan is stuffed with guys with "Sask" and "Ont" after their hometowns.

Anyway, glad to see some WA kids will be playing. Thanks for the info Reborn and Maynard.

Season can't start soon enough as far as I am concerned, talk can shift from rebounding in march of 2015 to rebounding last night.

ZagsGoZags
10-16-2013, 09:32 PM
I wonder if any cable station will show the game in the Seattle area?
Last few years PhillyZag and others streamed some games and that was extremely helpful and appreciated !!

thespywhozaggedme
10-16-2013, 10:17 PM
Scrimmage ...everyone that can, plays.

Not according to kstyles post, five above yours:

14.5.5.1 General Rule. A transfer student from a four-year institution shall not be eligible for intercollegiate competition at a member institution until the student has fulfilled a residence requirement of one full academic year (two full semesters or three full quarters) at the certifying institution. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/91, 4/14/10)
Quote:
14.02.9 Intercollegiate Competition. Intercollegiate competition occurs when a student-athlete in either a two-year or a four-year collegiate institution: (Revised: 1/10/95)

(a) Represents the institution in any contest against outside competition, regardless of how the competition is classified (e.g., scrimmage, exhibition or joint practice session with another institutionís team) or whether the student is enrolled in a minimum full-time program of studies; (Revised: 1/10/91)
Quote:

thespywhozaggedme
10-16-2013, 10:20 PM
As a Can-American (or is it AmeriCan-Can?), I was surprised to hear that SF was an NCAA aligned school. I have always wondered what was stopping some of the bigger schools - UBC, Univ Toronto, McGill, etc from playing across the border.

It is my understanding that Canadian schools do not give athletic schollies - which explains why at any given time the hockey line-up at Michigan is stuffed with guys with "Sask" and "Ont" after their hometowns.

Anyway, glad to see some WA kids will be playing. Thanks for the info Reborn and Maynard.

Season can't start soon enough as far as I am concerned, talk can shift from rebounding in march of 2015 to rebounding last night.

DII schools give schollies, SFU is DII. CIS (The Canadian equivalent of the NCAA doesn't do scholarships, although that's slowly changing). UBC almost went NCAA a few years ago, but changed their minds. As of now SFU is the only Canadian NCAA school.

ZagaZags
10-16-2013, 10:35 PM
I was thinking he played in the exhibition game last year. But I was wrong.
http://www.gozags.com//ViewContent.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26400&CONTENT_ID=247173

Looks like we won't see Wiltjer and Nunez. Even KO didn't play in the exhibition game his red shirt year.
http://www.gozags.com//ViewContent.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26400&CONTENT_ID=169344

CB4
10-16-2013, 11:51 PM
Canadian universities are run by pretentious snobs that look down on the NCAA and think sports* is incompatible with, and undesired in, the world of academia. UBC had a lot of good people pushing for NCAA admission, but they were ultimately shut down by the board because the board thought it was not in accordance with the school's mission (among other things). I don't know how these people reconcile this foolish belief in light of schools like UCLA, Stanford, UW, Duke, Notre Dame, et al.

Fortunately, schools like SFU think differently and hopefully they will be a success so that other Canadian schools can get in the best athletic developmental program in history. There's a reason Canada has such poor showings in the Summer Olympics, and it's directly attributed to (a) the weather and (b) the nation's poor developmental system.

*And by sports I mean the commercialized, semi-pro** American college model, as opposed to the Canadian, low budget "amateur collegiate" model.

**Yes, they don't get paid but the NCAA is not an amateur league in the true sense. Maybe the Ivy League is.
-Opinions from an AmeriCANadian

SWZag
10-19-2013, 02:43 AM
7 days. What do you hope to see? I really want to see PK in action against other competition. Not sure SFU will provide a lot of pressure for him, but I'm looking forward to see his improvement and if the sportswriters are correct in saying this year is a "blow up year."

One thing that I also am really looking forward to see this year also is how Sam does in a starting role. We'll see that Friday. Big difference from his previously roles off the bench.

SWZag

bartruff1
10-19-2013, 06:32 AM
Not according to kstyles post, five above yours:

Quote:

(a) Represents the institution in any contest against outside competition, regardless of how the competition is classified (e.g., scrimmage, exhibition or joint practice session with another institution’s team) or whether the student is enrolled in a minimum full-time program of studies; (Revised: 1/10/91)
Quote:

I was using " scrimmage " in the context of the competition...as in no contest....Zags will win easy and everyone that can (eligible/healthy ect) will get to play...

DixieZag
10-19-2013, 07:31 AM
Canadian universities are run by pretentious snobs that look down on the NCAA and think sports* is incompatible with, and undesired in, the world of academia. UBC had a lot of good people pushing for NCAA admission, but they were ultimately shut down by the board because the board thought it was not in accordance with the school's mission (among other things). I don't know how these people reconcile this foolish belief in light of schools like UCLA, Stanford, UW, Duke, Notre Dame, et al.

Fortunately, schools like SFU think differently and hopefully they will be a success so that other Canadian schools can get in the best athletic developmental program in history. There's a reason Canada has such poor showings in the Summer Olympics, and it's directly attributed to (a) the weather and (b) the nation's poor developmental system.

*And by sports I mean the commercialized, semi-pro** American college model, as opposed to the Canadian, low budget "amateur collegiate" model.

**Yes, they don't get paid but the NCAA is not an amateur league in the true sense. Maybe the Ivy League is.
-Opinions from an AmeriCANadian

Well, i'm not up there but I have no trouble imagining the first argument of yours regarding snobbery, links up well with Ivy League schools also being "above it" - I would like it if more thought openly about it. I like how many interests the US/Can share and I would think international comp would be cool. Good for SFU and cool to see WA kids be the ones to take advantage of it.

exclusivelee
10-19-2013, 11:16 AM
The college basketball regular season can't come soon enough. Coleman agrees:

http://instagram.com/p/fqIeEFO7tR/

Gerard Coleman @coleman_0

Saturday Morning Practices.. #NovemberNeedsToHurry #ReadyForTheseGamesNow ..#TheLife

http://distilleryimage9.ak.instagram.com/99cfe3a238e811e382a722000a1f9d5f_7.jpg

SWZag
10-20-2013, 10:38 PM
4 Days!!

Zag Man
10-21-2013, 08:27 PM
I wonder if any cable station will show the game in the Seattle area?
Last few years PhillyZag and others streamed some games and that was extremely helpful and appreciated !!

I've been following this blog and still haven't heard if anyone will be streaming this game or not. Those of us Zag fans who are not in the viewing area would appreciate the opportunity to see our team play....even if this is just an exhibition.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

stretch
10-22-2013, 05:58 PM

Carleton University, located in Ottawa, Ontario, has the talent to play major conference NCAA basketball right now. In August, the Ravens beat Wisconsin and lost in overtime to Syracuse. Not bad for a team with zero scholarship players.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/08/23/carleton-ravens-lose-to-syracuse-orange-in-overtime-in-pre-season-basketball-game-at-canadian-tire-centre

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/08/21/carleton-ravens-knock-off-wisconsin-badgers-in-cis-ncaa-mens-basketball-pre-season-game

SWZag
10-24-2013, 02:11 AM
39 hours and 52 minutes until 2013 Men's Basketball tip off!!

Pretty stoked here.

SWZag

ZagaZags
10-24-2013, 02:46 AM
Careful my friend,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Az9pQWdP8

primal23
10-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Tomorrow!!! WOOT!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Irt5w3sWRY

exclusivelee
10-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Info on Simon Fraser: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/10/24/clan-mens-basketball-2013-14-gonzaga-first-step-as-simon-fraser-hoops-looks-to-rebound/

DixieZag
10-24-2013, 06:31 PM
Info on Simon Fraser: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/10/24/clan-mens-basketball-2013-14-gonzaga-first-step-as-simon-fraser-hoops-looks-to-rebound/

That was a great article. Highly rec'd to all. I like what I read from this coach. Tough challenge to start up a NCAA team with no tradition to base it on.

SWZag
10-25-2013, 12:23 AM

I love how the coach is point blank and says it like it is. Great article.

exclusivelee
10-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Less than 5 hours and 17 mins till tip-off and BobZag is nowhere to be found...

SWZag
10-25-2013, 12:50 PM
KREM - Zags anxious for preseason test
(http://www.krem.com/sports/Zags-anxious-for-preseason-test-229034361.html)

GoZags.com - Simon Fraser To Give Men's Basketball An Exhibition Test (http://www.gozags.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=627537&SPID=90846&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209291489&DB_OEM_ID=26400)

Not sure how many times GU has played SFU, but here (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1314&dat=19771129&id=ODxOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=0-0DAAAAIBAJ&pg=4397,6203206) is an old newspaper article from 1977 when GU pulled out a last minute 2 point win (type in page 10 of 34 - if that doesn't work, search for a heading titled "Zags escape SFU"). You'll be surprised to see that Jay Triano, Dustin's dad, played in that game and had 27. Even a clipping on page 32 of 34 when Jerry Krause was at Eastern.

(I couldn't quite figure out the pages, seemed to be different each time, so hopefully you can find the articles if your interested)

SWZag

exclusivelee
10-25-2013, 02:56 PM
Jesse Wade ‏@jessewade10
Good luck to my guys @KPangos @GBell_5 @PKarnowski @DoloDower & @dstockton32 in the first exhibition game of the year tonight! #ZagUp
2:51 PM - 25 Oct 13 (https://twitter.com/jessewade10/status/393857475205529600)

exclusivelee
10-25-2013, 02:58 PM
http://instagram.com/p/f5t01fu7tb/

Gerard Coleman @coleman_0
GameDay! Haven't said that in a whole year..Oh what a feeling..Thankful to make it through that whole year off back to doing what I love #ZagUp #SimonStateOfMind

http://distilleryimage11.ak.instagram.com/138084c03daa11e3be1e22000aaa041f_7.jpg

exclusivelee
10-25-2013, 03:02 PM
http://instagram.com/p/f5prZKIx5k/

Gary Bell @gbell_5
Game day today. First one of the year, LETS GET GET GET IT *shawty lo voice* #zagup #whatwasicomplainingabout

http://distilleryimage0.ak.instagram.com/0364f2743da511e3a65322000a1f935c_8.jpg

hooter73
10-25-2013, 03:03 PM
I already really like Jesse Wade. That is just cool.

Check out Edwards in that Krem 2 clip in the background while Few is being interviewed. No Chunk there.