PDA

View Full Version : Kraziness impressions?

jazzdelmar
10-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Kraziness impressions, please....no stats.

Ekrub
10-12-2013, 04:43 PM
I got 6 minutes of video from my iPhone I can paste later.

But... Bigs look sloppy, Wiltjer is going to be phenomenal, Coleman too. Coleman just needs to finish a little better.

Ekrub
10-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Also, pangos went 13/15 and 10/15 in the three point shooting contest.

Also of note, both stepp and dickau can still stroke it.

jazzdelmar
10-12-2013, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE=

Also of note, both stepp and dickau can still stroke it.[/QUOTE]

You're breaking my heart, Ek....😉

jazzdelmar
10-12-2013, 04:50 PM
I got 6 minutes of video from my iPhone I can paste later.

But... Bigs look sloppy, Wiltjer is going to be phenomenal, Coleman too. Coleman just needs to finish a little better.

14-15: Pangos, Coleman, Wiltjer, Reid, Karno....nice.

Ekrub
10-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Gibbs is on his 6th year, think we can find a way to get Adam, Dan, and Blake back out there?

MississppiZag
10-12-2013, 04:54 PM
Can't wait to see Pangos, Bell, and Coleman on the court together with my own eyes. Glad Wiltjer looked good.

If you told me I could watch, either, Stepp/Dickau duel in a 3 pt contest or watch the new Zags scrimmage, I'd choose the shooting contest. Two favorite zags.

jazzdelmar
10-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Can't wait to see Pangos, Bell, and Coleman on the court together with my own eyes. Glad Wiltjer looked good.

If you told me I could watch, either, Stepp/Dickau duel in a 3 pt contest or watch the new Zags scrimmage, I'd choose the shooting contest. Two favorite zags.

Not even close, Sipp.

Ekrub
10-12-2013, 05:04 PM
It actually wasn't a 3 point contest, but rather a contest where teams shot from a variety of spots, including half court. Blake made the half court shot to win it. Still, fun to watch them out there. Kind of disappointed the crowd didn't cheer louder for them when they were introduced. Zag legends.

exclusivelee
10-12-2013, 05:07 PM
West Coast Convo's reactions to Kraziness:

http://westcoastconvo.com/2013/10/12/reactions-from-kraziness-in-the-kennel-gonzaga-bulldogs/

ZagsGoZags
10-12-2013, 05:19 PM
It was great to see the zags out there, and the season starting again. Five months on, 7 months off, and here we go again. You can tell 'Ryan ain't never seen anything like this in high school.' Karnage and Ryan have no baby fat on them at all. They have obviously been working hard at conditioning. Karnowski looks all business out there, and I get the feeling he is looking to the future NBA more than enjoying the big happy zag family in the present. I saw him in the Safeway last night and he already seemed to have his game face on. Wiltjer looks like a flluid talent for his size and shows no taste for banging inside, IMHO. Compared to many of our past teams at this time of year, it looks like it may take these personalities some time to bond. I hope Wiltjer gets the 'Big man makeover' (like KO) that he is probably wanting. This team looks more talented than I thought it would. It was hilarious when Gerard was sitting on his butt on the floor when Pangos comes dribbling by, so he couldn't help but help himself to the steal and make the basket while Pangos is still flying down the court. Also when Sam Dower was asked what single word would David S. use to describe himself, and Sam's reply was 'cute.'

Luke is scrappy, and I hope Angel will set as his goal to be a team player first. Drew must have been zero for six but I am not worried. Coleman looks great at penetrating but, once in there, sometimes looks like "what now?" It was fabulous to see Cory, Blake, Dan D., Pendergraft (sp?) out there, and Adam receiving zag love as a coach.

hooter73
10-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Not terribly encouaging, but to too surprising either.

SunDevilGolfZag
10-12-2013, 05:30 PM
One thing stuck out for me -- Wiltjer is going to be a star -- the game looks easy for him

jazzdelmar
10-12-2013, 05:32 PM
ZagsGoZags, are you damning with faint praise?

jazzdelmar
10-12-2013, 05:34 PM
One thing stuck out for me -- Wiltjer is going to be a star -- the game looks easy for him

Getting out of Calipari land has to be a plus.

hooter73
10-12-2013, 05:40 PM
KW is good, no doubt about it, but even playing "wrong" for a big man, he is still playing big east type ball, which I've always said is a step above what we do. The style, the athletes, whatever it is, watching east coast and factory schools play never looks the same as when we play.so it doesn't surprise me that he was the best looking one out there, even shying away from what his natural position should be.

jazzdelmar
10-12-2013, 05:45 PM
KW is good, no doubt about it, but even playing "wrong" for a big man, he is still playing big east type ball, which I've always said is a step above what we do. The style, the athletes, whatever it is, watching east coast and factory schools play never looks the same as when we play.so it doesn't surprise me that he was the best looking one out there, even shying away from what his natural position should be.

That's why they're BCS programs. You could say same about Coleman I suppose.

DixieZag
10-12-2013, 05:45 PM

Can you expand on that a little? I'm not dogging you at all, I think it's interesting, I want to hear you explain it. Maybe you're putting your finger on something a lot of people see. I would like to know.

Lewey
10-12-2013, 05:47 PM
I thought Wiltjer actually did play inside and out. I thought he'd just be outside, but he was inside too. When Angel was guarding him he went inside and backed him down a couple of times. Glad to see Wiltjer do that, but it was also clear that if we have Angel as a 4, he'll have trouble against stronger 4's. Wiltjer scored effortlessly from all over, though more outside.

Pangos played more aggressively than he typically does. There were many double screens that he drove around to try to collapse the defense. Didn't typically go to the basket himself, but after the second screen he would drive and dish.

Coleman was good, but he also seemed to drive in to trouble a lot. Sometimes he'd get through and make a great play, but it seemed to me that he got stripped or trapped more than he actually broke through.

jazzdelmar
10-12-2013, 05:51 PM
I thought Wiltjer actually did play inside and out. I thought he'd just be outside, but he was inside too. When Angel was guarding him he went inside and backed him down a couple of times. Glad to see Wiltjer do that, but it was also clear that if we have Angel as a 4, he'll have trouble against stronger 4's. Wiltjer scored effortlessly from all over, though more outside.

Pangos played more aggressively than he typically does. There were many double screens that he drove around to try to collapse the defense. Didn't typically go to the basket himself, but after the second screen he would drive and dish.

Coleman was good, but he also seemed to drive in to trouble a lot. Sometimes he'd get through and make a great play, but it seemed to me that he got stripped or trapped more than he actually broke through.

Wow, it's getting worse. Coleman as Bell? Please, no. Despite what anyone says, I'm not worried about Kevin.

DixieZag
10-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Sounds like Coleman may have been trying to do a little too much. Hitting the floor for the first time in a year likely has that effect on a lot of people.

Glad to see that Gary hit some shots.

hooter73
10-12-2013, 05:56 PM
Going to dinner with friends, will expannd on my bcs thoughts later.

Coleman I worry is going to have to get over some of the issue where he is a slasher. Carter defaulted to it his second year, just went to the hoop regardless and it wasn't successful half the time.

Lewey
10-12-2013, 06:01 PM
I thought both Pangos and Bell played well and shot well. I was glad to see Pangos drive more to try to open things up. He was always in control, and taking what was given. That's what Coleman needs to learn.

Ekrub
10-12-2013, 06:55 PM
http://m.gozags.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=209282497&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=&SPID=&DB_OEM_ID=26400

willandi
10-12-2013, 07:12 PM
That's why they're BCS programs. You could say same about Coleman I suppose.

No! They are BCS programs because of football. Thats it.

zagitup
10-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Always hard to glean much out of what we see at K in the K. While it is a blast to see the guys on the court again, all we really gain are some brief impressions and glimpses of what might be.

As has been speculated, we have no worries when it comes to our backcourt. The Zags are deep and talented there. Kevin looks to have matured into the ultimate floor general. If today was any indication, his shooting has further improved, and he looks to push the ball faster down the court on the transition than before. GBJ looked fine. He didn't look rusty or tentative following the foot injury from last season. Coleman is very fast and confident...but looked like maybe he was trying to do too much today (jitters?). Stocks played the entire scrimmage if I remember right, boosting the thought that he will see a lot of minutes this season.

The frontcourt? Well, it did seem a little sloppy at times, but there's probably no reason to read too much into that. The biggest impression I got? Shem looks great! A remarkable physical transformation from the same time last year. He looks lean and buff. Sam is still the same smooth operator (with that sweet mid-range jumper), but mixed it up very nicely inside with Karnowski. He didn't back down in the least near the hoop (at either end) and even appeared to thrive when it got physical down there. Couldn't tell much about Edwards, but he doesn't look (to me) nearly as fit as Karno. Still looked like a fair amount of baby fat. As has been said earlier, Wiltjer is gonna be a stud for us next year. Good scrimmage for KW.

I like to look for players who stand out, when no one expected them to. That player today was Luke Miekle. He hustled without getting sloppy, he had a nose for the ball, and showed an ability to block out and rebound that was encouraging. Also, toward the end of the scrimmage Luke made a no-look pass (to Dranginis?) who was breaking toward the hoop that made me jump to my feet! He may redshirt as many have predicted, but he showed some flashes of real potential. Also, he didn't seem lost out there, as if he already has a grasp of Few's offensive sets.

Here are some shots of the guys signing autographs:

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd501/steveupt/IMAG0812_zps765345a8.jpg (http://s1223.photobucket.com/user/steveupt/media/IMAG0812_zps765345a8.jpg.html)

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd501/steveupt/IMAG0810_zps58ee3dc4.jpg (http://s1223.photobucket.com/user/steveupt/media/IMAG0810_zps58ee3dc4.jpg.html)

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd501/steveupt/IMAG0817_zpscbae942b.jpg (http://s1223.photobucket.com/user/steveupt/media/IMAG0817_zpscbae942b.jpg.html)

bartruff1
10-12-2013, 07:36 PM
Isn't that Drew signing autographs ?? Didn't he play ?

GoZags
10-12-2013, 07:50 PM
I'll take that picture of Shem with the big smile on his face (enjoying his time with his teammates and the fans) over any earlier "impressions"'outlined in this thread.

dazags
10-12-2013, 07:55 PM
The Kennel Club was in mid season form.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCBNs9ZJNGQ&feature=player_detailpage

Reborn
10-12-2013, 07:55 PM
I listened to it on the radio. Thanks for the feed, Stardust. The announcers were impressed with Stockton. They said he really knows how to run a team, and set up the offense. Said he was in total control of the game.

It appears that this year's team is going to be as much guard oriented as we've seen in a long time. I'm really glad to hear that Gary looks 100%. I think Kevin and Gary are going to be as good of a back court as many of the basketball analysts thought that they'd be. It seemed to me that Coleman played pretty steady with both points (7) and boards (4). I was very happy to see Sam get six boards. That has definitely been a question mark for me.

From what I heard on the radio and read here, I do not see any big improvement in Pk, Dranginis, and Barham and Nunez seemed to be a no show.

Radbooks
10-12-2013, 08:06 PM
I'm always surprised that a 15 minute scrimmage gets fans either really, really high about certain players or really, really down on other players. It's about 2 weeks into practice and this scrimmage means nothing about how the players will perform in the months ahead. I'm sure nerves and excitement played a part in anyone that played poorly.

I won't let anything I read about this scrimmage influence how excited I am for the season to get started!! :)

zagamatic
10-12-2013, 08:11 PM
Overall I was pretty happy with the scrimmage. Keep in mind that unlike most years the guys have already had multiple practices. That leads to familiarity and to me explains why KW had an edge (along with being really friggin good). Karno is definitely in better shape. I asked him if he was happy to be done travelling for a bit and I could see a ton of relief in his face. He looked genuinely happy to be HERE! Perhaps it was just because I haven't been watching ball in months, but it looks to me like this version of the Zags wants to play perimeter D a little more than usual. The passing lanes just seemed to be a lot narrower than we usually allow. For true freshmen, Edwards and Meikle held up well, but didn't jump out at me. I don't recall Edwards giving anything easy up defensively, so that was encouraging considering he was guarding Karno. On defense, Coleman looks like he wants HIS BALL back!
Overall, the impression that I have of this years team is that they may appear (I said may!) to struggle early in the season but should be strongest at tourney time.

CDC84
10-12-2013, 08:28 PM
My yearly reminder to all people who attended this event: take everything that you saw during the scrimmage with a grain of salt.

There's a guy playing for the L.A. Lakers right now who was ripped apart and declared an absolute bust based on his performance at Kraziness.

It's a fun event, and a nice way to see the guys and get ready for the season. Nothing more.

It's nice that college basketball is back.

Hoopaholic
10-12-2013, 08:35 PM
Well said CDC

ZagaZags
10-12-2013, 08:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yx6jP8dLAc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCBNs9ZJNGQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Aal9V_wt4

Thats all I could find.

SWZag
10-12-2013, 09:02 PM
http://m.gozags.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=209282497&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=&SPID=&DB_OEM_ID=26400

Happy Birthday, Gary!!

SWZag

RenoZag
10-12-2013, 10:03 PM

Just the other day I was telling a buddy the Zags needed a player who drives into trouble. . .a Marquise Carter type.

HenneZag
10-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Stingy Defense on both ends. I do know that we will miss Harris and KO very much.

First off I was impressed both with Connor Griffin and Meikle, not on a stat line standpoint but they both stepped in, they didn't look nervous and were aggressive. I do see some Hart in Griffin, he's tough and gritty and pressures his man.

Pangos looked like Pangos. Bell looked to have his confidence back, you could see it in his strut, he played solid.

KD looked to be more aggressive, had a 3 but really couldn't get a feel for him all that well.

My disappointment tonight was Nunez. Didn't hit his shots and he was lazy with the ball, twice he lost it and was pulled (Lloyd in his ear)

There was really nothing on the fast break and thats what I wanted to see with Coleman. He had a so so game but I was impressed with his aggressiveness and his defense is smothering, he pic pocketed Pangos once and then put in the easy lay in, he will be a good one.

Dower was trying to be aggressive down low which is nice to see but its not as natural for him like it was for Harris or KO. Saying that, he hit some shots and rebounded well. Shem didn't have his best game, had a couple tip ins but really it was hard to view his game.

Stockton looks like a leader, had some nice drives where he penetrated the defense for a bucket or a dish, typical Stocks.

Wiltjer looks like a good one. Like someone already mentioned the game looked easy for him. I saw him trying to attack the rim, taking the 3 and also the mid range shot some nice passing too.

My take away form the 15 minute scrimmage is that we still have alot of work to do on a chemistry standpoint, but we have a solid 8-9 guys that are very good, and will win us some games.

Starting lineup should be:

Pangos/Bell/Coleman/Dower/Shem

I wouldn't be surprised to see:

Stocks/Pangos/Bell/Dower/Shem

DixieZag
10-12-2013, 10:49 PM
I agree that the most likely starting lineup is Pangos/Bell (write that in now, baring a bone sticking out) Coleman, Dower and Shem - - - the question I have for the BB people is how much we are actually likely to see Shem and Dower on the floor at the same time?? Without a true 4 and with little depth, I would think that, though they may start together, that they may not see a lot of time on the court together but basically always having one or the other out there.

Seems to me that we might ask Barham (6'7?) and Nunez (6'6-6'8?) to adjust their game a little to try to play a pseudo 4 at least defensively/rbing.???

Just a question.

And, like last year (and I certainly don't want to start an argument again, already) but I would hope that with Coleman and Dranginis we will not have to play much of the small (very small) line up and just have Stocks spell Gary and Pangos, who I think should both be on the floor A LOT together.

DixieZag
10-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Oh, and, last thing, certainly taking almost nothing away, just as CDC mentioned - the biggest thing I take away from reports is that Bell looks healthy.

Having the real Bell - the guy that shot 50% from the 3 line as a frosh, the guy that did a great job getting to the rim (we have forgotten b/c of last year) and the absolute shut down defender, will be a far bigger impact over last years team (IMO) than the new guys.

Birddog
10-13-2013, 06:37 AM
My yearly reminder to all people who attended this event: take everything that you saw during the scrimmage with a grain of salt.

There's a guy playing for the L.A. Lakers right now who was ripped apart and declared an absolute bust based on his performance at Kraziness.

It's a fun event, and a nice way to see the guys and get ready for the season. Nothing more.

It's nice that college basketball is back.

If you are referring to Harris then beauty is truly in the eyes of the beholder. That was the one and only Kraziness that I have attended and when the guy next to me asked for what I thought at the conclusion, I said "that German kid can ball a little". At the time I didn't project him forward to the NBA though.

bigblahla
10-13-2013, 07:22 AM
Bell is all the way back and he and Coleman on D were fun.

Meikle was a pleasant surprise and GO Zags I agree he is going to be a good one.

Pangos was Pangos, solid, Stocks, solid.

Wiltjer, stood out.

The rest much work to do.

I saw nothing from the front court that gave me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Karnowski still hasn't figured out he's the biggest baddest guy on the court. Straight up he needs a few well placed elbows in the nards until he gets pissed and starts imposing his will on all who come near him. We don't need a gentile giant we need the Hulk. Bring on Shem-nasty cause Shem-nicely doesn't cut the mustard.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

NotoriousZ
10-13-2013, 07:30 AM
Karnowski still hasn't figured out he's the biggest baddest guy on the court. Straight up he needs a few well placed elbows in the nards until he gets pissed and starts imposing his will on all who come near him. We don't need a gentile giant we need the Hulk. Bring on Shem-nasty cause Shem-nicely doesn't cut the mustard.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

He didn't want to hurt his teammates. ;)

In the autograph line, I asked him if he had a favorite nickname. He said, "I don't know, there are so many." After a couple seconds he smiled and said, "I like Shem-nasty." "Me too," I replied.

Goshzagit
10-13-2013, 07:34 AM

Exactly. This is a sentiment shared by many this season.

Coach Lloyd said the staff's #1 priority this pre-season -- among many others -- was to 'bring out the 'aggression in Shem'. They're employing numerous tactics, such as calling him "Shem-nasty" in practice and making him aware that he is, quite literally, the biggest player in College bball(no joke).

Karnowski's skill and size are there, so are his hands, passing, footwork, IQ, and now conditioning -- its just lack of physicality that is currently lacking or keeping him from doing BIG things at any level.

amaronizag
10-13-2013, 07:35 AM
Where were the fans?? Half of the upper level was empty. KW is in a class by himself and will be one of the all time great Zags. I only wish he would have come to GU as a Freshman. GC is fantastic at slashing, scoring inside, and dishing out when he runs into a wall. He will have some turnovers, but I look for his assists to balance out equally. He spends a LOT of time on his butt in the paint and will be a free throw shooting machine. His long arms are something to behold on defense. GB looks to be in great form and will be even more solid than before. I like the way he creates space for shots. KP was penetrating more than typical in the past and should be a scoring machine this year. Also impressed with DS who improves every year.

The offense was definitely guard oriented. I was disappointed that PK got so few looks. Last year there was a lot of focus on getting the ball to KO, but not any focus on getting the ball to PK deep in the paint. Last year PK got several 3 second violations while he stood wide open waiting for the ball that never came his way. I saw more of the same last night and the same frustration in him. He managed to get good position and wide open several times, but the ball was already moving around the perimeter and the opportunity deep in the paint was lost. I was very happy to see what a good job RE did guarding him. I saw a bit of reluctance to create shots from AN. I hope he becomes way more aggressive as his confidence builds with playing time. We need solid minutes from him this year. I liked KD (a lot) as always and was impressed with CG and the walk-ons as well. I was relieved to see LM has a scrappy type of game. He made some nice moves and has put on some muscle.

Zagdawg
10-13-2013, 08:03 AM
The upper sections of the corners were empty and the top 6-7 rows of the middle sections. The students did a good job and almost completely filled up their section.

Need to take this event back to parents weekend if we want to fill the place up. Having parents weekend on a exhibition weekend does the parents no good--unless they are going to buy tickets from a season ticket holder off of Craigslist.

We know a lot of fans say they want to see the Zags play --but push comes to shove---even with a free event --things come up that get in the way of local people making it out to the event.

Make it parents weekend and there will be standing room only again---and the parents will be treated to their Zags and seeing their kids get loud in the student section.

Go Zags

HenneZag
10-13-2013, 09:15 AM
The new intro video: I kind of have mixed feelings cause I like the old one, showed our history and how we got to this point. The new one is more upbeat, I like it but just have mixed feelings.

Thoughts?

Mojo13
10-13-2013, 10:07 AM
. They're employing numerous tactics, such as calling him "Shem-nasty" in practice and making him aware that he is, quite literally, the biggest player in College bball(no joke).

Sim Bhullar, also know as Mount Logan, may disagree with you.

TheGonzagaFactor
10-13-2013, 12:25 PM
The upper sections of the corners were empty and the top 6-7 rows of the middle sections. The students did a good job and almost completely filled up their section.

Need to take this event back to parents weekend if we want to fill the place up. Having parents weekend on a exhibition weekend does the parents no good--unless they are going to buy tickets from a season ticket holder off of Craigslist.

We know a lot of fans say they want to see the Zags play --but push comes to shove---even with a free event --things come up that get in the way of local people making it out to the event.

Make it parents weekend and there will be standing room only again---and the parents will be treated to their Zags and seeing their kids get loud in the student section.

Go Zags

I wouldn't worry about filling it up. I like that anyone who comes out can see the event. It'd suck if people were coming in from Deer Park/Cheney or something, couldn't find parking because it's a nightmare, and got turned away empty. It is what it is: a 15 minute intrasquad scrimmage.

DixieZag
10-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Excellent point. Also, it is a good event for younger kids who never get to go to games even if their families have season tickets. The players are available to talk to them, sign autographs, its in the afternoon, shorter. Great event for the 6-12 set.

titopoet
10-14-2013, 07:16 AM
My impression of the team from Sat. First, our starting 5 will be solid. Ryan Edwards will be able to play the role he will be asked to play. Minutes to spell Karno, clog middle, set good screens and play D. He did all of that on Sat and moves fairly well. We are lacking a fourth big to spell Dower effectively. Dower can play the 4, by Kyle was leading scorer because the Red team lack an effective 4 to match him.

It will be interesting top see how Few handles the lack of effective 4 backup for Dower. (by committee or pressing when Dower is not in with Nunez at the four. He look long and disruptive in pressing situations.)

Pangos has become better. Most of the 3 missed by the red were open 3s setup by pangos drives.
The bench is also solid with enough wings and guards. Stocks keeps getting better and better. The only limitation in a thin frontcourt. Few teams had the personal to take advantage of it, though. possible Baylor and possible Syracuse would tell us more.

hooter73
10-14-2013, 07:41 AM
While not exactly being one of the people that jumped up and down at their signings, Edwards and Meikle looked pretty good to me. Edwards was playing D, coming out and setting screens... fundamental big man stuff. Meikle was moving all the time and took that three without hesitation. Its like the staff must know what they're doing... show knew? :D

Coleman I was not let down by, because I havent quite bought into yet. He didnt finish and only looked to drive. Passed up at least two open jump shots that I saw. We've already seen what its like having guys on the floor that other teams know wont shoot from the outside, I think everyone has been so excited over his reported slashing ability that its maybe been overlooked that he's got to keep the lane clear by taking jumpers too. Probably just first "game" back jitters/trying to prove himself and that probably the thing with everybody. Hoping that was the issues with Nunez too casue we need him to be about five steps above what he showed.

Barham not hitting shots did not inspire confidence, hope it was just a fluke and he can carry the momentum we all saw him building through the conference and post season.

Dower and Karno, just dont know what to say. Their games didnt look all that different to me. Karno missed bunnies, and didnt showcase much in the few opportunities he had to get up and throw down a putback. And Dower was, well he was Dower.

Biggest thing to take away is this was just a silly scrimmage hopefully to not put any stock into. weve got a relatively slow and easy start with this years schedule so the team should be able to find their stride after getting some real games under their belts. We're not ranked 25th or 15th or whatever in the nation for nothing.

Zagcity
10-14-2013, 07:03 PM
While not exactly being one of the people that jumped up and down at their signings, Edwards and Meikle looked pretty good to me. Edwards was playing D, coming out and setting screens... fundamental big man stuff. Meikle was moving all the time and took that three without hesitation. Its like the staff must know what they're doing... show knew? :D

Coleman I was not let down by, because I havent quite bought into yet. He didnt finish and only looked to drive. Passed up at least two open jump shots that I saw. We've already seen what its like having guys on the floor that other teams know wont shoot from the outside, I think everyone has been so excited over his reported slashing ability that its maybe been overlooked that he's got to keep the lane clear by taking jumpers too. Probably just first "game" back jitters/trying to prove himself and that probably the thing with everybody. Hoping that was the issues with Nunez too casue we need him to be about five steps above what he showed.

Barham not hitting shots did not inspire confidence, hope it was just a fluke and he can carry the momentum we all saw him building through the conference and post season.

Dower and Karno, just dont know what to say. Their games didnt look all that different to me. Karno missed bunnies, and didnt showcase much in the few opportunities he had to get up and throw down a putback. And Dower was, well he was Dower.

Biggest thing to take away is this was just a silly scrimmage hopefully to not put any stock into. weve got a relatively slow and easy start with this years schedule so the team should be able to find their stride after getting some real games under their belts. We're not ranked 25th or 15th or whatever in the nation for nothing.

The one thing that I think needs mentioning is Connor Griffin was the first Zag sub for either team to hit the floor. It was the consensus of the folks that I sat with that he has the motor and Basketball IQ of a Mike Hart.

Zag 77
10-14-2013, 08:05 PM
I have not seen much comment about him. I hope he finally shows up this year. And not just against an NAIA opponent like last year.

Oregonzagnut
10-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Kraziness is just a great time to make our opponents think we are not a well oiled machine yet. Its all a ploy, after the first few games they will let loose the dogs and go off on any unsuspecting prey.

Pargo the Destroyer
10-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Wish that was the case OZN but I'm thinking there are going to be some rough spots this year. Nobody has mentioned Kyle because he didn't do anything. Edwards isn't ready. Lots of questions.

Zag365
10-14-2013, 08:55 PM
(based on what I've read, what Tommy Lloyd said at event I attended, and what KITK viewers reported)

KP and GBJ have worked hard, are ready, still improving, and will set the table. If they get handled or shots aren't falling, we're in for a long night. Luckily we have DS. He brings energy and no drop off in running sets and the passing game. Coaches (justifiably) have confidence in him; he's earned his minutes.

Karno needs to become Shem-nasty w/o being foul-plagued or we lose control at defensive end. SD should score more this year (maybe even go to his right) but still a "?" on defense and consistency.

GC and AN need to show they can make jump shots and play a smart, complete, team game on offense and not get caught up trying to force everything by driving too often in traffic to the rack.

DB and KD still trying to find rhythm and confidence.

Rest of the bench is adequate/capable but unlikely anyone will have a double-digit night at either end.

Don't get me wrong, I like our guys and chances of taking the WCC. I'm just feeling this year could be a grinder. Thank goodness the schedule has a nice mix of degrees of difficulty.

ZagaZags
10-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Sloppy game.

Worthington
10-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Bell - Looks healthy again and will hopefully be ready to take that next step we were all hoping would happen in his sophomore year.

Coleman - Showed that he is a very active defender who should deflect a lot of passes and rack up a fair number of steals. Hadn't heard much about this side of his game so that was a nice surprise. Clearly, the team's best slasher. Didn't show off any outside shooting ability, but I like that he adds a new element to the starting lineup that I think complements Bell and Pangos' games very well (both good outside shooters). The tempo of the game is going to speed up considerably when he's on the court. For me, Coleman didn't disappoint (and I've got high expectations)

Dower - Appears to be in good shape. Still has his lethal midrange shot, but didn't show off the face up game he has reportedly been working on.

Karnowski - Has lost a lot of weight in the past year. With the expectations on him this year and the NBA talk, I think everyone wanted him to come out and dominate this scrimmage. Blocked a few shots and showed flashes of his potential, but his lack of aggressiveness and physicality still appeared to be a problem,as far as you could tell, in the limited action.

Pangos - Ran the offense well and got his teammates some pretty good looks (most of which were missed). Was happy to see him look to penetrate a bit more, which is exactly what we need out of him this year.

Stockton - Steady as ever. Great at running the offense. Expect him to be just an improved version of himself from last year.

Dranginis - I would have liked to see him attack a bit more, but he played smart out there and moved the ball well. Hard to tell how much improvement has been made over the summer from the short scrimmage. It's going to be all about confidence and comfortableness for him this year.

Nunez - Didn't get in the flow of this one. Handle looked sloppy to me, and didn't show any signs of being able to mix it up down low. But hey, it's one 15 minute scrimmage...from what the coaches have said about him, I fully expect him to be much much better than what he showed during the scrimmage.

Barham - Shots weren't falling. Had a great summer playing for a Div 1. travel squad, I think he'll play a big role this year.

Wiltjer - Like we already knew, he's going to be good. A fantastic shooter. Showed on atleast one occasion that he can score inside as well. Can't wait to see how good he is in another year.

Meikle - Needs to bulk up, a redshirt year will probably happen. I thought he fit in well out there though, looks like a smart player.

Edwards - First and foremost, WOW has he slimmed down a lot! That's a really promising sign, as he must be working his butt off already. With all that baby fat gone, it's apparent that he needs to spend some time gaining some muscle. He has a long way to go, and he didn't do anything spectacular out there, but his performance did help me believe that he can at least be serviceable thing season. Happy with what I saw from him.