PDA

View Full Version : Walk-On Article (Gonzaga Bulletin)

KStyles
10-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Scottie Pippen, Jeff Hornacek, Jim Boeheim and Andre Drummond all hold a significant place in the current and past basketball world. But all had humble beginnings to their college basketball careers.

All four started out as walk-ons on their college teams.

With high-profile players set to join the men’s basketball team in the future, the current team’s roster is starting to fill up with more walk-ons.

The team has five players who weren’t on campus last year. Two of them, forwards Lucas Meikle and Ryan Edwards, are both on scholarships and their names could be found on the major recruiting websites like Rivals and ESPN. But the other three, Connor Griffin, Dustin Triano and Leo Roese, didn’t have that type of notoriety and came here as walk-ons. They were all recruited like Meikle and Edwards but now pay their own way through college. The team has five walk-ons.

http://www.gonzagabulletin.com/sports/article_36c6166a-3144-11e3-85ab-001a4bcf6878.html

MDABE80
10-10-2013, 02:29 PM
I suspect Connor will be on Scholarship before the end of the season. If not, it'll be next year. He's very very good.

SWZag
10-11-2013, 12:57 AM
Good article. Thanks for sharing. There is something about a hard-working, leave-everything-on-the-floor Walk-On that gets me excited. Hope they all can contribute to the teams success.

SWZag

bartruff1
10-11-2013, 06:20 AM
One of the best aspects of the whole program. In a cynical world this stuff is so inspirational you just have to admire these kids even if they never have a impact on a game.

The students and their teammates appear to give them great support and encouragement and affection.

Midwestzag
10-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Connor Griffin is a stud athlete (see the dunk video on another thread). I love college basketball players who played high level HS football; they love contact and see the value of team defense. He will make the first-teamers work hard in practice and in a year or two be in the running for Mike Hart hustle/defense minutes.

What other Zags were good HS football players? I remember Blake Stepp, David Stockton, any others?

KStyles
10-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Connor Griffin is a stud athlete (see the dunk video on another thread). I love college basketball players who played high level HS football; they love contact and see the value of team defense. He will make the first-teamers work hard in practice and in a year or two be in the running for Mike Hart hustle/defense minutes.

What other Zags were good HS football players? I remember Blake Stepp, David Stockton, any others?

Bouldin was a pretty good QB, IIRC. I seem to remember he was the go-to guy for full-court inbounds passes.

ZaGranny
10-11-2013, 10:59 AM
Bouldin was a pretty good QB, IIRC. I seem to remember he was the go-to guy for full-court inbounds passes.

IIRC, Kelly Olynyk was a quarterback in Kamloops until the end of his junior football season, when he broke his humerus and missed out on his junior basketball season.

ZaGranny

HenneZag
10-11-2013, 11:14 AM
He will be a scholarship player in the near future. Has the intangibles, the grit, and some Mike Hart. Every team needs a player like him. He can pass, has athletic ability and high basketball IQ. Out of all the walk-ons I believe he will have the biggest impact, some think Triano, I see Griffin due to his overall skillset and height.

Long Video:
http://youtu.be/A5t470T5ENs

Hoopaholic
10-11-2013, 01:00 PM
Henne.......I am in agreement with your assessment and think once again the ncaa will scratch their collective heads at our walk on success at a national level

zagzilla
10-11-2013, 02:28 PM
“That is what the coaches were selling me on,” Griffin said. “They said they want me to be the next Mike Hart. I was honored that they would tell me that. At the same time I am still going to try and do whatever I can to follow his footsteps.”

I'm glad to have all 5 of these fine young players in the program but I don't there is such a thing a the "next Mike Hart". He was one of a kind.

ZZ