PDA

View Full Version : Dorian Pickens no longer visiting

exclusivelee
10-09-2013, 10:59 PM
well this has been a bad month for Zags 2014 recruiting.

Zags coaching staff decided to cancel Dorian Pickens' visit and told him that they are looking at different positions (per his twitter)...

feeling gutted..

Dorian Pickens @DorianPickens11

@manderpile My visit for this weekend was recently cancelled, but thanks for all of the live you guys have showed! I really appreciate it
10:30pm - 9 Oct 13 (https://mobile.twitter.com/DorianPickens11/status/388174648468180992)

West Coast Convo @WestCoastConvo

@DorianPickens11 is it going to rescheduled?
10:40pm - 9 Oct 13 (https://mobile.twitter.com/WestCoastConvo/status/388177183337754624)

Dorian Pickens @DorianPickens11

@WestCoastConvo Not as far as I know. They need to fill other positions.
11:09pm - 9 Oct 13 (https://mobile.twitter.com/DorianPickens11/status/388184521297772544)

ZagaZags
10-09-2013, 11:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb7nwoQVkQE

Reborn
10-09-2013, 11:59 PM
I love Few's honesty. If in fact its true he said that. I believe the video about Pickens showed only his outside shooting ability. I too agree that there are greater needs. I think the Zags really need to be thinking about a center.

Oregonzagnut
10-10-2013, 12:04 AM
Picked a bad day to quit Pickens.

Reborn
10-10-2013, 12:08 AM
Would signing Travis or Sabonis change your mind?

HenneZag
10-10-2013, 05:50 AM
We can wait until 2015 to recruit a wing. It made sense to recruit both WIlson and Pope because they add length and defense. Pickens is a 2/3. KD/Nunez/Coleman will fill in just fine for the next 2-3 years.

bigblahla
10-10-2013, 05:58 AM
Would signing Travis or Sabonis change your mind?

How would you feel if we signed neither? There is no guarantee Sabonis will play college ball and Stanford looms large on the horizon for Travis. We passed on birds in the hand so I guess we're still bird hunting, no offense Birddog. :D

Go!! Zags!!!

Zagdawg
10-10-2013, 06:15 AM
Birds in the hand? You must have an inside track to some information.

I think everyone on the board is in agreement that we are guard rich and big man poor -- recruit where you need to fill the gaps as it does no good to have a bunch of wings/guards with no bigs.

I trust the coaching staff has a plan and we will see what happens.

basketballzag
10-10-2013, 06:31 AM
I believe the Coaching Staff has filled up the two remaining 2014 spots with a PF and PF/C which is why Pickens visit was cancelled. You don't cancel a Top 150 recruit and back off Pope unless you have other quietly confirmed commitments coming in. My personal opinion is that Travis Reid is a lock for Gonzaga and the other player is a confirmed Sabonis.

Kiddwell
10-10-2013, 06:47 AM
I believe the Coaching Staff has filled up the two remaining 2014 spots with a PF and PF/C which is why Pickens visit was cancelled. You don't cancel a Top 150 recruit and back off Pope unless you have other quietly confirmed commitments coming in. My personal opinion is that Travis Reid is a lock for Gonzaga and the other player is a confirmed Sabonis.

From your mouth, b-ballzag, to each young man's Letter of Intent signature. :000tens:

:]

hooter73
10-10-2013, 07:37 AM

This is what makes the most positive sense, but when has recruiting ever made sense? Time and again people in the program have tried to say that fans know next to nothing as far as recruiting goes. Best guess speculation is as accurate as rolling two 12 sided dice.

Id say the staff knows what theyre doing and if they backed off, its for a reason. Not going to beat my brain over what that reason is.

titopoet
10-10-2013, 07:39 AM
How would you feel if we signed neither? There is no guarantee Sabonis will play college ball and Stanford looms large on the horizon for Travis. We passed on birds in the hand so I guess we're still bird hunting, no offense Birddog. :D

Go!! Zags!!!

Yet, the reality is GU needs bigs in 2015. SG/SF is covered most likely.

CDC84
10-10-2013, 07:56 AM
I just hope Dranginis elevates his game this year. The team really needs a guard at his size to complement all of these short guards/wings they have right now or who will be coming into the program.

Reborn
10-10-2013, 08:31 AM

Go!! Zags!!!

My favorite recruit was Pope. I wish he were a Zag. I was very disappointed of course. Next favorite is Travis. And then Perkins, and Melson is right up there imo. And Kyle Wiltjer was my favorite recruit back when he was a senior in High School; and I have not changed my opinion about him now, two years later.

How will I feel if Few doesn't get a commitment from Travis and Sabonis? I'll be disappointed but not devastated like a few fans here. It's hard for me to understand how fans could believe that our coaching staff blew it, and in fact I get pretty irritated by that kind of pessimism. I follow recruiting closely every year, and for me its a lot of fun. I get to know alot of players and I follow them through the years, and enjoy their game even when they don't choose GU. In most cases over the years Gonzaga rarely gets someone like Kyle Wiltjer and Perkins. These are top prospects, and very skilled. How could anyone say that if we do not sign Travis and Sabonis that our recruiting is a bust?

The 2013-14 season is coming soon. My focus is already beginning to turn to that. My interest in recruiting is slowly passing away as the season approaches. Once the season comes I will probably not think to much about recruiting, and when I do it will be on Wiltjer and Perkins. I spend little time time thinking about what we didn't get when there is so much that we have. My joy for what we have far surpasses the disappointments of what we didn't get.

I don't apologize for appreciating what we have, and placing my hopes in their hands. I feel good about Dranginis. Honestly, I prefer him over Pickens. I think he has a great chance to be a very good player at Gonzaga. And I've been excited about Nunez since I first heard that he was going to be a Zag. Tommy said very special things about both of these guys in his recent speech in Seattle. He said Dranginis is one of the smartest players he has seen, and he said that Gonzaga has not seen the kind of athleticism that Nunez is going to bring to the court. If we don't get Reid or Sabonis watching Nunez and Dranginis will help me forget about them. And for the record I think we have better chance of signing them both then we don't. And if we only have a 50-50 chance then I'll go with the 50 that we will sign them.

Go Zags!!!

Worthington
10-10-2013, 08:45 AM
This doesn't make sense unless we've got something else going on. I mean, we've recruited the kid up until at least a week ago. On paper, I can't think of anything that has changed since then...my European player senses are tingling.

HenneZag
10-10-2013, 08:51 AM
This doesn't make sense unless we've got something else going on. I mean, we've recruited the kid up until at least a week ago. On paper, I can't think of anything that has changed since then...my European player senses are tingling.

Exactly. Something doesn't add up.

exclusivelee
10-10-2013, 08:54 AM

Maybe Shem has hinted that he wants to go pro as soon as possible. Hope not, but draft boards are high on him.

At this point, Gonzaga needs some bigs and I have a feeling some big from the 2013 recruiting class is being recruited over.

If Sabonis is reachable, I think that the coaching staff wants to make sure a scholarship is open for him come spring, so that probably means that they withdrew every 2014 open offer with the exception of Reid Travis

jazzdelmar
10-10-2013, 09:03 AM
Exactly. Something doesn't add up.

maybe they just got beat out...as they did with the three world beater transfers during the spring.....you know, anything is possible, even failing to walk on water by "coach."

BMAN
10-10-2013, 09:26 AM
maybe they just got beat out...as they did with the three world beater transfers during the spring.....you know, anything is possible, even failing to walk on water by "coach."

I doubt they got beat out. Something happened this week. It is no coincidence that Pope picks SDU and Pickens tweets that GU canceled his visit on the same night. Gu passed on both of them.
Last Thursday Tommy LLoyd said that last Wednesday he and Few returned from a recruitng trip for 2014. He also said they were headed out on the weekend for another trip. One has to assume that that they think they have the last two positions filled. Hopefully it will be Sabonis and Reid

GoZags
10-10-2013, 09:32 AM

"Lock" for Reid may be a bit too strong of a word ... but it's my opinion that Gonzaga is right there .... and between he and the two Euros (your post re: the 2nd Euro on another thread is true) the Zags will be more than fine.

cjm720
10-10-2013, 09:51 AM

Sabonis said he'll enroll at Gonzaga, presumably for 2014. Twitter's not official, but that's 1 of 2 schollies left.

So....with Reid still planning visits, I hope he either cancels those or we have another option...

exclusivelee
10-10-2013, 10:03 AM
Sabonis said he'll enroll at Gonzaga, presumably for 2014.

proof?

Zagdawg
10-10-2013, 10:36 AM
I like to think Reid is going to take his other visits-- but Gonzaga has set the bar high.

If he doesn't see something that blows him away during his other visits -- we are the school he is going to commit to.

If we were not a serious option in his mind-- he would have dropped us out of his top 4 already after his Duke and multiple Minnesota (unofficial) visits.

We have a solid shot at him-- keeping my fingers crossed.

Go Zags

cjm720
10-10-2013, 11:20 AM
proof?

buried in one of the recruiting threads...zaga posted not too long ago. suprised it has been more talked about

cjm720
10-10-2013, 11:23 AM
I like to think Reid is going to take his other visits-- but Gonzaga has set the bar high.

If he doesn't see something that blows him away during his other visits -- we are the school he is going to commit to.

If we were not a serious option in his mind-- he would have dropped us out of his top 4 already after his Duke and multiple Minnesota (unofficial) visits.

We have a solid shot at him-- keeping my fingers crossed.

Go Zags

Gonzaga doesn't come close to Stanford or Duke in terms of academics (or conference affiliation). If we land him, it'll be a major coup IMO...the fact that we're in his top 4 is amazing and a testament to the program Few and Co. have built.

exclusivelee
10-10-2013, 11:32 AM
buried in one of the recruiting threads...zaga posted not too long ago. suprised it has been more talked about

that did not give a statement that Sabonis commit to Gonzaga.

that tweet is from some twitter account that talks about basketball maybe 0.5% of the time and it said that Sabonis wants to enroll in a NCAA college in the United States and that Gonzaga is a possible destination. Did it give any guarantees? Not at all.

cjm720
10-10-2013, 12:03 PM
that did not give a statement that Sabonis commit to Gonzaga.

that tweet is from some twitter account that talks about basketball maybe 0.5% of the time and it said that Sabonis wants to enroll in a NCAA college in the United States and that Gonzaga is a possible destination. Did it give any guarantees? Not at all.

yea that's the one I'm talking about...thought it was Sabonis and thought he said he was likely to enroll at Gonzaga. i never said he had committed, only that he was planning on enrolling. if that wasn't him, then i'm wrong

DixieZag
10-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Gonzaga doesn't come close to Stanford or Duke in terms of academics (or conference affiliation). If we land him, it'll be a major coup IMO...the fact that we're in his top 4 is amazing and a testament to the program Few and Co. have built.

You are certainly right about conference affiliation regarding Stanford and Duke and you are right that GU is not eye to eye with them academically (who is? Princeton? MIT?) but GU is not nearly as far behind as it used to be and gaining ground quickly The most oft heard statement among alum around the school is "I wouldn't have gotten in now."