PDA

View Full Version : Where do you rank the Zags class of 2014?

TravelinZag
10-09-2013, 04:17 AM
With Melson, Perkins and Wiltjer, is this already the best recruiting class ever? If so, what recruiting classes do you rate 2nd and 3rd best?

If not, the 2014 class will be the best class ever when it adds: Travis? Pope? Perkins? Any one of the three? To be the best ever, does it need two more?
Any two? Travis and Pope? Travis and Pickens? Pope and Pickens?

Is there any other 2014 player (HS, JUCO, transfer) with immediate impact potential that the Zags have a shot at?

007Zag
10-09-2013, 05:34 AM
Right now it's a good class. I don't know our historical recruiting classes quite well enough to say where it ranks with any authority, but my impression is that, so far, it's not our best ever, or even our second best.

Add Pope, Reid, Pickens, or Sabonis, and then it's a conversation. Add two of those guys and then the 2014 class has a real case for best class ever.

MississppiZag
10-09-2013, 05:45 AM
Daye, Gray, and Sacre was a better class. Add Pope or Travis, and this class will probably be better.

jazzdelmar
10-09-2013, 06:09 AM
Check back in 2017. Tough to beat Daye, Sacre and Gray.

VinnyZag
10-09-2013, 06:49 AM
2009 is starting to look pretty good, too. Olynyk, Harris and Dower as well as Arop, Bol Kong and GJ Vilarino: http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2009/9/21/1046643/closing-the-book-on-gonzagas-2009

jazzdelmar
10-09-2013, 08:13 AM
2009 is starting to look pretty good, too. Olynyk, Harris and Dower as well as Arop, Bol Kong and GJ Vilarino: http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2009/9/21/1046643/closing-the-book-on-gonzagas-2009

Did you actually type Vilarino? Arop sure; Kong, um, no. Vilarino?

CDC84
10-09-2013, 08:28 AM
I don't think you can really consider Wiltjer a part of a "recruiting class." He was a division one transfer. He was two years of playing experience.

If you talked to most college b-ball and recruiting analysts, they would tell you that a recruiting class consists of players with zero D-1 experience....whether they're high schoolers or jucos.

If GU managed to land Pickens, Pope and Travis to go along with Perkins and Melson, it would be, without question, their greatest class ever. Three top 50 players (all potential Burger Boys), another guy (Pickens) who is on some top 100 lists, and another guy who might turn out to be the most underrated player in the 2014 class due to his lack of AAU exposure (Melson).

LongIslandZagFan
10-09-2013, 08:53 AM
Going with CDC on this... Witljer isn't part of the recruiting class per se. Technically, he qualifies as being this year's class.

That being said... Going to hold off judgment until the end of the month to see what shakes out with the Travis/Pope/Pickens.

titopoet
10-09-2013, 08:59 AM

Just Harris, Olynyk and Dower themselves are good enough to be in the conversation. A lotto pick and another on an NBA roster and all over GU stats page, with Dower still here and producing. The proof will be much later, when we have historic perspective. Let is not forget the next year brought in our starting guards and Kyle Dranginis as well.

exclusivelee
10-09-2013, 09:02 AM
2011 class of Gary Bell, Kevin Pangos, Ryan Spangler, Kyle Dranginis, Guy Landri Edi was a good one.

2009 class of Elias Harris, Kelly Olynyk, Sam Dower, Mangisto Arop, Bol Kong, G.J. Vilarino, David Stockton was a great one

2007 class of Austin Daye, Steven Gray, Rob Sacre, Ira Brown was quite good

2004 class of J.P. Batista, Josh Heytvelt, David Pendergraft, Pierre-Marie Altidor-Cespedes, Mamery Diallo is an underrated class

2003 class of Adam Morrison, Derek Raivio is a very underrated one

2000 class of Blake Stepp, Cory Violette, Kyle Bankhead is another good one

1996 class of Matt Santangelo, Richie Frahm, Axel Dench, Mike Nilson, Ryan Floyd wasn't too bad either

former1dog
10-09-2013, 09:04 AM
1996 class of Matt Santangelo, Richie Frahm, Axel Dench, Mike Nilson, Ryan Floyd wasn't too bad either

Easily the best recruiting class if we base our evaluation on the results the class achieved.

CDC84
10-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Another thing....when college b-ball experts and recruiting analysts talk about the quality of a recruiting class, they speak of it in terms of the class before it arrives on campus. They don't evaluate classes based on how they look ten years later after everyone's eligibility has dried up. That's a different analysis. You can't really compare the 2014 class with the 2007 class unless you look at how the 2007 class looked back in 2007.

Zagdawg
10-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Axel Dench trivia--

Axel Dench played Merumeru in Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. Also in his career he has starred in films such as Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Flight of the Navigator, Twins and hit TV series Grange Hill.

CDC84
10-09-2013, 09:13 AM

Easily the best recruiting class if we base our evaluation on the results the class achieved.

This is exactly what I am talking about. Aside from Santangelo (who was a really good get at the time for Gonzaga), the 1996 class was just a run of the mill low to mid major recruiting class. Obviously, it's now considered to be a very good one.

exclusivelee
10-09-2013, 09:20 AM
and another to add in:

1997 class of Casey Calvary, Quintin Hall, Mark Spink

Calvary and Spink are the only Zags appearing in 3 Sweet 16's (Gonzaga's only been to 2 Sweet 16's since they graduated in 2001)

and Quintin Hall was a valuable asset for theat Elite 8 run

VinnyZag
10-09-2013, 09:29 AM

They were part of that class, so it would've been wrong to omit them. But obviously the point is, Olynyk-Harris-Dower. Better threesome than Sacre-Gray-Daye, I think (and I loved the '07 group).

GoZags
10-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Going with CDC on this... Witljer isn't part of the recruiting class per se. Technically, he qualifies as being this year's class.

That being said... Going to hold off judgment until the end of the month to see what shakes out with the Travis/Pope/Pickens.

"Early" signing is in November.

I'd say hold off until April '14 (the regular signing period) for a Euro that "could" well end up being the star of the class (at least if the bloodlines hold true).

Edited to say: Of course this is posted with the cavaet that "nothing is in the bag until it is in the bag" ....

sittingon50
10-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Not sure how you guys are putting all these classes together?

Matt, Mike & Ryan all RS'ed. Richie & Axel did not. Axel was planning to RS but Paul Rogers got hurt so Axel got thrown into the fire as a true Frosh.

They did not all come in together.

jim77
10-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Just Harris, Olynyk and Dower themselves are good enough to be in the conversation. A lotto pick and another on an NBA roster and all over GU stats page, with Dower still here and producing. The proof will be much later, when we have historic perspective. Let is not forget the next year brought in our starting guards and Kyle Dranginis as well.

yup

LongIslandZagFan
10-09-2013, 10:48 AM
"Early" signing is in November.

I'd say hold off until April '14 (the regular signing period) for a Euro that "could" well end up being the star of the class (at least if the bloodlines hold true).

Edited to say: Of course this is posted with the cavaet that "nothing is in the bag until it is in the bag" ....

My gut says those three are not likely going to wait until April.

GoZags
10-09-2013, 10:52 AM
My gut says those three are not likely going to wait until April.

Oh ... no way will the three wait until April. My post was referencing the Euro ... who will NOT be signing in the early period.

Zippyzaggy
10-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Oh ... no way will the three wait until April. My post was referencing the Euro ... who will NOT be signing in the early period.

So does this mean we have to back off on Pope or Reid or someone, because we only have two scholarships to offer?

And I felt holding out and waiting for Pope or Reid was difficult. Now we have to wait until potentally April for a mystery Euro that is holding up the show?

Lord help us.....sure hope it's worth the wait.

GoZags
10-09-2013, 11:54 AM
So does this mean we have to back off on Pope or Reid or someone, because we only have two scholarships to offer?

And I felt holding out and waiting for Pope or Reid was difficult. Now we have to wait until potentally April for a mystery Euro that is holding up the show?

Lord help us.....sure hope it's worth the wait.

post 66, 80, 81 (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=46633&highlight=early&page=3)

Understanding that the April signing period comes after this next season is completed. But to answer your question nothing is "holding up the show" ... this is simply guboards chatter.

TravelinZag
10-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Thanks to all for your comments. The current class was rated "good" at best; certainly not a top three, perhaps not in the top seven. (Given GU's recruiting woes over the years, that might be a tad harsh, guys.) In any case, you collectively feel there have been a handful of better classes in prior years, and two or three very good efforts.

Tonights disappointing news that Pope has committed to SDSU means few of you have much hope for a "great" 2014 class. Perhaps, with Travis, a good+ class. Wish I could make a compelling argument to the contrary, but cannot.

This was difficult, as several of you pointed out. It required an ability to recall the perceived potential of recruits before they played for the Zags. It also required ignoring the realization (or lack) of that potential and the later achievements of the teams. Too many bells to un-ring, I'm afraid. Didn't realize that when I framed the question. Your responses were wonderful. Thanks.

DixieZag
10-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Thanks to all for your comments. The current class was rated "good" at best; certainly not a top three, perhaps not in the top seven. (Given GU's recruiting woes over the years, that might be a tad harsh, guys.) In any case, you collectively feel there have been a handful of better classes in prior years, and two or three very good efforts.

Tonights disappointing news that Pope has committed to SDSU means few of you have much hope for a "great" 2014 class. Perhaps, with Travis, a good+ class. Wish I could make a compelling argument to the contrary, but cannot.

This was difficult, as several of you pointed out. It required an ability to recall the perceived potential of recruits before they played for the Zags. It also required ignoring the realization (or lack) of that potential and the later achievements of the teams. Too many bells to un-ring, I'm afraid. Didn't realize that when I framed the question. Your responses were wonderful. Thanks.

It was a good discussion, thanks for bringing it up. It also highlights how, for a program build on developing players, not having one and done types (or even two and done as Daye is the only exception) one could argue that the Olyinick, Harris and Dower class was the most successful, but of that group, Dower would have been the one considered the most valuable coming in.

And he most certainly has been very valuable - don't confuse me - but, Harris and Olynick were a very special duo last year. But, even there, it was only for one year that KO really stood out. Harris was a force he stepped in and Dower has been Sam the whole time.

On paper, again and in practice, Daye, Heytvelt et al was the best one.

From what I read here, all we need is Reid or Perkins and this would be the best (if we count KW and most don't).

exclusivelee
10-09-2013, 08:53 PM
The best recruiting class based on rankings before they played in Zags unis was the 2007 class.

If Gonzaga lands Reid Travis, the 2014 recruiting class, based on the same standards, is better

ZagaZags
10-09-2013, 10:14 PM
Who is the only Zags starter to play in 3 straight Sweet 16s ?

exclusivelee
10-09-2013, 10:37 PM

Casey Calvary

ZagaZags
10-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Casey Calvary

Good job.

Reborn
10-10-2013, 12:15 AM
The best recruiting class based on rankings before they played in Zags unis was the 2007 class.

If Gonzaga lands Reid Travis, the 2014 recruiting class, based on the same standards, is better

I would say the same thing if Sabonis commits to GU.

I know Wiltjer is not part of the '14 class but I feel he is. It will be his first year playing for GU. And we did recruit him this year. Who Knows? In the end he could graduate the same year as Reid.

jazzdelmar
10-10-2013, 03:26 AM
middle of the pack, if as it looks no more signings. perk can get his his head turned back east playing w all those 5 plus kids; it happens. then its among the worst.

bartruff1
10-10-2013, 05:06 AM
Check back in 2017. Tough to beat Daye, Sacre and Gray.

Petty much.... I may have to vote early with a absentee ballot. !!

maynard g krebs
10-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Wiltjer isn't a 2014 freshman, but functionally he's the exact equivalent of a juco recruited for next year, with the benefit of working in the program for a year.

Looking at it that way, that's two guys ranked 25ish, and a third in the top 150 who many feel is underrated. Those 3 guys will be joining the roster next year, so the fact that one isn't part of the class is just semantics to me.

So that's 3 guys with an average ranking in the 60's. That's about the same as Daye, Gray, and Sacre. And Daye wound up being a 2 year guy like Wiltjer.

GoZags
10-10-2013, 11:28 AM

Please ask this question again in 2017 .... only take out the words "straight" and "only".

3 straight Sweet 16s is tough to do.

When the Zags did it '99-'01, only 2 other schools did it with them. Duke and Michigan State. Of course they both won National Titles during that stretch, and the closest Gonzaga came to a Final Four was 33 seconds and a possession away against eventual National Champ UConn (who won the 3rd NT in that 3 year stretch).

But with a) Mark's "re-dedication" to actively hit the road recruiting and to be more involved (which started about a year and a half ago) ... b) the talent coming in: i.e transfers,overseas and traditional sources ... and c) the unique "Olynyk Clinic" thang that GU has going on leads me to believe that the best days on the floor continue to lie ahead for the Zags. Big Time.

bartruff1
10-10-2013, 02:05 PM
What class was ranked the #1 College Basketball Team in the country and won more games than any other Gonzaga team...what class won more games in their career for Gonzaga ???

Seems like it is more fair to compare their records over a season or seasons than a individual game or two..

GoZags
10-10-2013, 02:26 PM
What class was ranked the #1 College Basketball Team in the country and won more games than any other Gonzaga team...what class won more games in their career for Gonzaga ???

There were 4 classes that were part of the team ranked #1 in the nation (and won more games in a season than any other GU team).

As for which class won more games than an entire career .... that'd be a good project for you to undertake .... so why don't you do some research and get back to the board with your answer?

bartruff1
10-10-2013, 03:16 PM
There were 4 classes that were part of the team ranked #1 in the nation (and won more games in a season than any other GU team).

As for which class won more games than an entire career .... that'd be a good project for you to undertake .... so why don't you do some research and get back to the board with your answer?

Duly noted, I suspect that is usually the case...so I will do that just as soon as their careers are over.