PDA

View Full Version : Meehan: Gerard Coleman ready to get back in the game

exclusivelee
10-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Gonzaga guard Coleman ready to get back in the game

Spokesman Review's Jim Meehan reports:

http://m.spokesman.com/stories/2013/oct/08/gonzaga-guard-coleman-ready-get-back-game/

http://media.spokesman.com/photos/2013/10/08/spt_GU-Coleman_t400.jpg

Reborn
10-09-2013, 06:09 AM
This is a year that GU will only have two Freshmen on the roster, and one of them will mostly redshirt. But there will still be two other players on that roster who we have not seen play in a NCAA Div I game, Coleman and Nunez. I've been waiting a whole year to see Gerard Coleman play. I'm really excited because Gerard is going to be an exciting player to watch. I've always liked Gonzaga best when they can run the open court, and that seems to be Gerard's strength. I have read that he will entertain us with some mighty dunks. The coaches have said many times that Coleman is a kind of player that GU has not seen before. This is why I'm so excited. I want to see what they have seen.

We will have to wait until late December to see Nunez play. He transfers from Louisville, another school playing in the Big East Conference. After reading what Tommy said about him at the luncheon in Seattle, I'm really excited to see him play too. These are two new players who I am sure we are all looking forward to see play, and they are two guys who bring alot of talent and experience to the team.

Zaga
10-09-2013, 06:56 AM
Hopefully the big's are in shape to run because Coleman will help our transition offense with his Slash! Go Zag's Can't wait!!

hooter73
10-09-2013, 07:23 AM
I think his style of play and having a chip on his shoulder is going to be a nice change of pace. Last year excluded, I feel like its been a little more status quo and stagnate, Im thinking coming off of last years success, and with the addition of Coach Morrison and the East coast transfers of Coleman and Nunez, were looking at turning another page this year.

Zag365
10-09-2013, 12:33 PM
I was really, really pleased to see GC give Meehan the following self-evaluation: "My weakness was my outside shot and defense and I think Ive come a long way with those.

Everyone who has seen him play (and I haven't) seems to agree that he can drive, slash, create, and get to the rim in ways that go beyond what most previous Zags were able to do. So, it will not be surprising that he will get minutes, be a crowd-pleaser, hopefully inspire teammates and force opponents out of set defenses, etc. He will likely increase his scoring average again this year. But, for the team to win enough games to be highly ranked and advance in the NCAAs, they need GC (and others) to work at improving their overall game (at least that's what I inferred from some of Coach Lloyd's subtle comments and observations). I didn't want to speculate previously on where he was going with it as far as GC is concerned, but the fact that GC made the comment he did makes me very optimistic that he's on board with the concept of doing what he can do to help the team win, while still showcasing his skills, and not just be satisfied with putting on a good show of offensive moves.

WallaWallaZag
10-09-2013, 05:07 PM
I was really, really pleased to see GC give Meehan the following self-evaluation: "My weakness was my outside shot and defense and I think Ive come a long way with those.

Everyone who has seen him play (and I haven't) seems to agree that he can drive, slash, create, and get to the rim in ways that go beyond what most previous Zags were able to do. So, it will not be surprising that he will get minutes, be a crowd-pleaser, hopefully inspire teammates and force opponents out of set defenses, etc. He will likely increase his scoring average again this year. But, for the team to win enough games to be highly ranked and advance in the NCAAs, they need GC (and others) to work at improving their overall game (at least that's what I inferred from some of Coach Lloyd's subtle comments and observations). I didn't want to speculate previously on where he was going with it as far as GC is concerned, but the fact that GC made the comment he did makes me very optimistic that he's on board with the concept of doing what he can do to help the team win, while still showcasing his skills, and not just be satisfied with putting on a good show of offensive moves.

i really don't expect this (more than 13.2 ppg) as the zags are significantly more balanced than providence, but if it happens then i have a feeling the zags are likely going to be better than most have predicted...