PDA

View Full Version : What If...

zagzealot
08-21-2007, 02:56 PM
What if the Zags went to the Final Four and you could get tickets but the seats were so bad that you couldn't see the game because the venue was so large? Would you still go? Or would you rather hang out with friends and watch the game on TV?

From ESPN's Page 2 today -
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrookpreview/070821&sportCat=nfl

As recently as a few years ago, the Final Four had the feel of a college-town event, as opposed to the corporate-logo festival feeling at the Super Bowl. Now big-deal-itis is creeping in. RazorGator Experiences just became the "official provider of hospitality packages" for the Final Four. Hotel rooms and plane flights to the Final Four increasingly are available only as packages, like Super Bowl travel, with percentages going to the sponsor.

And the venues keep getting bigger. As recently as 1996, the Final Four was held at the 19,229-seat Continental Airlines Arena, which was designed for basketball. This year's games were at the Georgia Dome, which was designed for football. The court was offset to one side of the dome; 53,000 people sat in a kluged arrangement that afforded only about two-thirds of the spectators a reasonable view. Next year's Final Four is at the 65,000-seat Alamodome, also a football venue. Next year, the court also will be set to one side of the facility, meaning thousands of people will pay high prices to arrive and discover they can't see the court.

Tim Tucker of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports the NCAA is considering football domes in Detroit, Indianapolis and Houston for the Final Fours from 2009 on. Those Fours, Tuckers says, might have an ominous change -- rather than set the court to one side of a football dome, reducing total seats but also affording most spectators a view, the NCAA wants to put the court dead-center -- allowing all seats to be sold, but assuring that hardly anyone will see anything! Television viewers won't care. But if the Final Four is held at, say, 65,000-seat Ford Field, with the court in the center and all seats sold, practically everyone who pays thousands of dollars to attend the event in person won't be able to view the game. One reason college basketball remains so popular is the public sense that the sport has not "sold out." If attending the Final Four at vast expense becomes a huge bummer for individuals, to channel still more bucks to the NCAA, there could be a PR backlash against college basketball.

lothar98zag
08-21-2007, 03:03 PM
I'd do everything I could to attend. If I had to be velcro'd to the ceiling of whatever horrid domed football stadium the game was in, I'd do it. Get me inside - that's all that matters. You can watch it on TV later - repeatedly. You only get one shot at seeing the game(s) live, and IMHO you have to take it.

BobZag
08-21-2007, 03:06 PM
That would be lousy but I think you'd have to go if just for the experience of it and a chance to be champions in person. It may never happen again. Bring binoculars, though. :)

TheZagPhish
08-21-2007, 03:42 PM
I'd like to think that there would be large monitors about, vis--vis big concert venues, to get you onto the court if you were located in the far, far away seats.

ZaggyStardust
08-21-2007, 03:46 PM
I actually got to go to the Final Four when it was in Seattle (1988?) and it was in the Kingdome. We were up in the 300 level and the players looked like a bunch of bees running around but you know what? It was a BLAST - so much fun to be there. Plus I was with a bunch of cousins who were Michigan alum so being with them to watch Michigan win was very special... There is just nothing like the buzz of being there.... You can always record the game and watch it later... That way you can catch what you missed!

OregonZag5
08-21-2007, 04:27 PM
Well I was lucky to see the championship game when it was in Portland( and no comment Birddog) and I think it seated about 11,000 and one could see the game- but I have to agree with BobZag one in a life time experience and would have to go- but hate to think of the cost as wife and two boys would think they should go also- have been to the Rose Bowl and while was in the middle of the end zone and the players were either going away from us and straight toward us, never thought I would ever see Oregon there and it was well worth it.

Now if one wants to talk about terrible seats there is Husky stadium but then I think we are to speak evil of them any more .

HRZag
08-21-2007, 04:29 PM
I would be pretty happy just sittin' here in front of the new 55 hi-def and hangin' at home.

Save the $$'s for a real vacation.

Just a thought.

lothar98zag
08-21-2007, 04:48 PM
I would be pretty happy just sittin' here in front of the new 55 hi-def and hangin' at home.

Save the $$'s for a real vacation.

Just a thought.
What's more real than seeing your team play in the final four?

CDC84
08-21-2007, 05:01 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=253415

Try 70,000...........

Birddog
08-21-2007, 05:05 PM
( and no comment Birddog)

I'm shocked at your tone, Oregon, comment? Moi?

Good friend and OSU alum went to San Antonio a couple years back, and said it is a must do even though he had to take the family and pay basically triple for everything from meals to lodging. They really scalp you according to him. He had pretty good tickets through OSU as he is a Football and BB season ticket holder.

Birddog

BobZag
08-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Well I was lucky to see the championship game when it was in Portland( and no comment Birddog) and I think it seated about 11,000 and one could see the game- but I have to agree with BobZag one in a life time experience and would have to go- but hate to think of the cost as wife and two boys would think they should go also- have been to the Rose Bowl and while was in the middle of the end zone and the players were either going away from us and straight toward us, never thought I would ever see Oregon there and it was well worth it.

Now if one wants to talk about terrible seats there is Husky stadium but then I think we are to speak evil of them any more .

At Joe Albi when the Cougs used to play there, I really started liking sitting under the scoreboard (in the endzone) where the locker rooms were/are. You can see the holes open up, or not, and the plays develop much better.

Zagdawg
08-21-2007, 07:17 PM
Ebay is my friend-- I must say that I would be there--

FuManShoes
08-21-2007, 08:28 PM
I, too, was at the 1989 Final Four in Seattle. It was pops and me, way, way, way up near the ceiling, clear across the dome from the court. We were looking down over a concrete floor, out past a set of temporaty bleachers just to catch a glimpse of Glen Rice going crazy. Course, I could barely see Rice down there, save for some binocs we brought. I was a great old time, and wasn't even a big fan of the FF teams. Can't even imagine what it would be like to see the Zags on the biggest stage on earth.

Sarenyon
08-21-2007, 10:23 PM
with the games just down the road in San Antonio and me at Ft. Hood, If the Zags make it to the F4, I'd have to give it a try, just for the experience. And I wouldn't have to worry about the hotel costs either.

Living close makes it a bit more paletable... otherwise, I'd probably just stay at home and watch it on the TV.