• Show
Clear All
  • gamagin
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

What's Ahead for the Zags ?

bulldog fan wrote in another thread:
    Originally posted by #1bulldogfan
    Everyone would like about 6 or 8 new and interesting post daily. So how about it, Gamagin? Put your thinking cap on.
    good idea.

This team is so new, I just don't know yet what to say about it, except I'm excited for the prospects and have a few worries that keep me from getting giddy at what could happen. IF. IF. IF.

I think we're going go have some serious break-in time and maybe some early jitters and many mistakes as we adjust to the new pecking order and hopefully, some leadership that pops up and stays up for the whole season.

But I'm hoping, too, for pleasant, upside, surprises, especially from PK, the eligible transfers, perhaps even a walk on or two.

As the season ended last year, I thought PK was still playing at Euro speed (off/under the speed of D1). I am anxious to see if he can pick up his pace & adjust quickly to the level he will see in the U.S., as a possible starter and a Zag. I wondered over the summer if the summer play in Europe might hinder that need to catch up to speed. We'll see.

If he can by the end of the year, that would be a great step forward in any event. He has the makings of one of if not the best prospects I've seen. Soft hands, height, coordination and savvy. Deciding & acting quickly, intuitively and accurately are other matters yet to develop. Perhaps it has to do with confidence. Perhaps it has to do with patience. I don't know. But I believe it will be easier to develop than height or soft hands. fwiw.

KP and GBj (if he's healthy) are bound to step into their more mature roles. there's always the question of whether they've peaked as D1 players. I don't think so. At some point it's about willpower and how hard one works to define and refine one's game. I don't think either has let up in that area, so whether they are NBA material or not is irrelevant to me. They can still make a huge dent in the NCAA arena.

Finally, when I've thought about it, I've wondered how Few is doing with some of his best friends and closest associates off trying to make their marks as coaches elsewhere in the basketball world.

The new order is an opportunity but it may also be a crisis. It depends on the strength of personalities and whether MF is a master of finding the best underlings and turning them loose to keep the tradition going, or maybe having to take more time and put in more effort personally to do what was getting done without as much hands on coaching.

We'll see there, too. Very soon.

I think Stocks has great leadership skills and believe he is the de facto floor leader, whether in the game or not. I hope his roomie and best friend, SD, sees that same senior light go off in his head, and leads in all aspects of the game, by example, hustle and by encouraging others as he has been encouraged. I'm counting on it.

Otherwise, I'm not sure who else takes over on the floor, during the game. But that person holds the key(s) to our next season. imo. I hope to see him come on early and stay focused through every single game.

best regards,
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton
  • sittingon50
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• ZagaZags
      Banned
      • May 2010

Comment

• zag67
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2007

4. Great job

Comment

• Zagcity
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by ZagaZags View Post

5. Here's hoping the Seniors stepup bigtime.

Comment

• Zagger
            Banned
            • Mar 2008

6. I'm guessing I gotta use a "6" ..... I believe the Zags will come out with their 6 guns a blazin'! I also believe we'll see considerable improvement in all of the returning team members. That's what the Zags do - they just keep getting better: as a program, as individuals, and as a team. I'm anticipating some eye popping good play!
            Go Zags!

Comment

• Zippyzaggy
              Professional Zag Fan
              • Mar 2013

7. Seven players will score in double figures in seven games this season. Hey, we are that loaded offensively.

Comment

• SteelZag
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Feb 2012

8. Elite Eight. That was easy.

Comment

• exclusivelee
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2013

Nine-man rotation:

Pangos, Bell, Coleman, Dower, Karnowski, Nunez, Dranginis, Barham, Stockton

Comment

• TravelinZag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Dec 2012

10 . . . apparently the number of scholarship players eligible to play for the Zags during the 2013-14 season.

Comment

• Bogozags
                      Zag for Life
                      • Jan 2008

11....the number of rebounds pulled down each game by PK!

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

40. As in 40 minutes of hell for Zag opponents.

Comment

• Zaga
                          Bleeds GU Blue
                          • Nov 2010

13: The number of months until Josh Perkins get his first points as a Zag!

Comment

• GrizZAG
                            Zag for Life
                            • Nov 2009

14 the scoring average for the new Celtic his rookie season.
                            One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

• 3zagda
                              Kennel Club Alum
                              • Nov 2009

15. 15 Zags eligible to play this year:
                              Rem
                              Brian
                              Connor
                              Dustin
                              Kevin
                              David
                              GBJ