• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angelo Roncalli
    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
    • Feb 2007

Official MBB 2013-14 Schedule

2014 Gonzaga University Men’s Basketball Schedule
    (All Times Pacific Time Zone – All Times TBA unless otherwise noted)
    October
    25 – Simon Fraser (ex.).
    November
    9 – Bryant; 11 – Colorado State (ESPNU), 6 p.m.; 17 – Oakland (Mich.); 21 – Washington State; 25 – Dayton @ EA Sports Maui Invitational (ESPN2), 9 p.m.; 26 – Chaminade/Baylor @ EA Sports Maui Invitational; 27 – EA Sports Maui Invitational.
    December
    1 – Coppin State; 7 – New Mexico State (ESPNU), 8 p.m.; 10 – West Virginia (ESPN); 14 – South Alabama @ Battle In Seattle (KeyArena); 21 – Kansas State @ Wichita Wildcat Classic (INTRUST Bank Arena) (ESPN2), 12:30 p.m.; 28 - *Santa Clara; 30 - *San Francisco.

January
    2 – Saint Mary’s; 4 - *University of the Pacific; 9 – *Portland; 16 – *Pepperdine; 18 – *Loyola Marymount; 23 – *San Diego; 25 - *BYU; 30 – *Santa Clara.

February
    1 - *San Francisco; 5 - *Portland; 8 – Memphis (ESPN College Game Day); 13 – *Pepperdine; 15 – *Loyola Marymount; 20 - *BYU; 22 - *San Diego; 27 - *University of the Pacific.

March
    1 - *Saint Mary’s; 6-11 – West Coast Conference Championship @ Las Vegas, Nev. (The Orleans Arena).

*Indicates West Coast Conference Game.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor
  • hooter73
    Zag for Life
    • Jun 2008

sigh.

Comment

• exclusivelee
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2013

Lame. We learned nothing new. They should have just released this a month ago

Comment

• 530ZAG
        Redshirt
        • Jul 2008

Weak schedule a problem?

I'm hesitant to post here as I feel I'll probably get slammed, but what the heck.

I get that the team lost a lot and there are some big questions on who will carry the load this year. However, is setting up a weak schedule the answer for that? A weaker schedule **could** help the guys gain confidence slowly over the course of the season, but it could also do them a disservice as they play lesser competition and aren't battle-tested for the tourney.

Why not get out there and play anyone and everyone? Get these guys a ton of experience against the best and gain serious respect for the rest of the nation for a top notch schedule.

We seem to 'play not to lose' with regard to our scheduling. I just don't understand it, especially after our recent, early exits from the tourney. I couldn't care less about wins and losses in out of conference games (as long as we don't completely blow it and miss the tourney). I want to be ready for the tourney...and the best way to do that is to play the toughest teams out there.

Thoughts?

Note: There are big time programs willing to play us if we traveled, played neutral site, etc, so please don't tell me "no one will play us"....that's a ridiculous and overly biased Zag perception that makes us all look silly.
        "I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious" -Michael Scott

Comment

• TravelinZag
          Zag for Life
          • Dec 2012

Jeff Sagarin in his SI interview on playing a "crappy team"

"You can show in the RPI where a bad team is going to play a good team -- they'd have to be pretty far apart in rating -- and then the crappy team, by the act of playing the game, will gain rating even if they lose, and the better team will lose in the rating, even if they win the game."

Gonzaga finished 2012-13 ranked 6th RPI; Coppin State finished 315 (out of 347). The 12/1 game is guaranteed to cost the Zags RPI, credibility and respect, in addition to guarantee money.

Would any opponent be less of a draw? Can anyone provide a rationale for scheduling this game, or recall a weaker D-1 opponent in Zag history?

Have said repeatedly the staff did an excellent job with this schedule. Two glitches beyond their control prevented this from being one of the strongest ever. Appreciate their work, & the difficulty of the task.

But this game?? An exhibition or even no game would have been better, IMHO. WHY?

Comment

• 229SintoZag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TravelinZag View Post
            "You can show in the RPI where a bad team is going to play a good team -- they'd have to be pretty far apart in rating -- and then the crappy team, by the act of playing the game, will gain rating even if they lose, and the better team will lose in the rating, even if they win the game."

Gonzaga finished 2012-13 ranked 6th RPI; Coppin State finished 315 (out of 347). The 12/1 game is guaranteed to cost the Zags RPI, credibility and respect, in addition to guarantee money.

Would any opponent be less of a draw? Can anyone provide a rationale for scheduling this game, or recall a weaker D-1 opponent in Zag history?

Have said repeatedly the staff did an excellent job with this schedule. Two glitches beyond their control prevented this from being one of the strongest ever. Appreciate their work, & the difficulty of the task.

But this game?? An exhibition or even no game would have been better, IMHO. WHY?
            I agree with you that there is no excuse for scheduling this game.

But to claim this is the worst opponent in GU's history is a stretch. Recall that we have scheduled the likes of Northern Colorado, Longwood, Arkansas Pine Bluff, and Prarie View A&M, to name just a few. There are many others.

All we can hope is that Coppin State has a breakout year and finishes in the sub 200 range in the RPI.

Comment

• TravelinZag
              Zag for Life
              • Dec 2012

Agreed, 229, and thanks. I root for all Zag OOC opponents to win all their other games, because that is the system we play in.

The excellence of this schedule is revealed in that, other than Coppin, all but one OOC opponents (and that one a traditional, regional rival) ranked in the upper half of D-1 competition last year. Except for Coppin, the only teams on the schedule coming off RPIs worse than 200 are six games against three conference opponents. And wish tho we might, there is no current cure for that.

Makes the December 1 game all the more incomprehensible. Too late to cancel, forfeit the guarantee money and schedule an exhibition against, say,
              Whitworth? Certainly more interest, probably as good competition and beneficial to the community. Probably not possible, but more rational.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Per Live RPI --this years schedule compared last years with number of RPI games based on last years ending RPI.

Last year RPI Ranking
                1-25 --2 games
                26-50-- 6 games
                51-100-- 5 games
                101-200-- 9 games
                200+-- 10 games

This years ranking (using last years RPI)
                1-25-- 4 games
                26-50-- 3 games
                51-100-- 6 games
                101-200-- 13 games
                200+-- 8 games

This forecast is based upon the higher RPI teams winning their games in Maui and advancing in the tourney.

Comment

• Kiddwell
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Nunez?

What's Nunez's first game? Methinks we'll need his firepower against the likes of K State and Memphis.

:]
                  Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2011

IMO, Few is never going to stop giving small schools a chance. I agree with him. But Coppin st? We need to find schools who are up and coming or at LEAST in our area.

I am not convinced RPI or the WCC is the problem. We got a 1 seed based on # of wins and the quality wins we did have. We got a one seed regardless of our RPI. The shockers were a final four team in a conference with a nearly identical RPI as ours!

People will bash me for this but IMO, Fews demeanor and tight reigns is more the problem. The Southern game should have been as fun as Florida Gulf Coast was playing. FUN!! Few, like any coach, has a learning curve hurdle to get over. Playing not to lose is the biggest problem. Few needs to trust the x's and O's throughout the year and let the guys PLAY and have FUN to get over this tournament "barrier".
                    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• titopoet
                      Zag for Life
                      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by TravelinZag View Post

They have tried getting D2 games and people gripped, why not D1. The reality is that when they had a few teams have to bag (MSU) then they have scramble to fill out the schedule. It becomes more about who can come in at the time and cost to fill out the schedule. Not having any team may seem better to the fans, but not on the business end. The reality is Maui and Memphis are the highlights, though NMSU and Oakland maybe better looking at the end of the season. The mountain West trick for getting high RPIs, non big 6 contenders will help.

But I do think that much of the schedule comes from a couple of teams failing to pan out like the staff counted on.
                      ----
                      Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Comment

• Zag 77
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Coppin' a ....

feel? Sorry, I could not resist. Anybody old enough to recall that term?

Comment

• KStyles
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Kiddwell View Post
                          What's Nunez's first game? Methinks we'll need his firepower against the likes of K State and Memphis.

:]
                          Fall Semester ends Dec. 20th, so I believe K-State on the 21st.

Comment

• zagamatic
                            Zag for Life
                            • Aug 2009

Ok, this is completely from memory so don't kill me if I can't remember clearly, but it wasn't all that long ago that the teams we thought were going to be good actually sucked that year and teams like Notre Dame (who was "having a down year") saved our collective RPI arses when they turned it on after we stomped them. Seems like that was also the year that one of those Dakota teams helped us a lot. Teams like K-State were supposed to suck last year and ended up at the top of their conference.
                            The point is that you, me and the entire basketball world have absolutely no clue how this upcoming season will shake out. But it always seems like we manage to schedule a good enough mix of teams to end up with a good RPI. REGARDLESS OF WHO WE PLAY, IT'S ALL ABOUT WINNING THE GAMES ON OUR SCHEDULE!

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
                              Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zagamatic View Post
                              Ok, this is completely from memory so don't kill me if I can't remember clearly, but it wasn't all that long ago that the teams we thought were going to be good actually sucked that year and teams like Notre Dame (who was "having a down year") saved our collective RPI arses when they turned it on after we stomped them. Seems like that was also the year that one of those Dakota teams helped us a lot. Teams like K-State were supposed to suck last year and ended up at the top of their conference.
                              The point is that you, me and the entire basketball world have absolutely no clue how this upcoming season will shake out. But it always seems like we manage to schedule a good enough mix of teams to end up with a good RPI. REGARDLESS OF WHO WE PLAY, IT'S ALL ABOUT WINNING THE GAMES ON OUR SCHEDULE!
                              + eleventy-billion
                              Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

Working...
                              X