PDA

View Full Version : Gary Payton video on Stockton

Idahomie
09-06-2013, 01:08 AM
I found this little youtube gem of Gary Payton explaining why John Stockton was the toughest matchup he ever had to guard. Pretty impressive that The Glove gushes about how hard it was to guard Stockton!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-cG7uUBYxo

Reborn
09-06-2013, 04:24 AM
I had to smile when Payton mentioned how people said Stockton was dirty, and Payton said, well he got the job done. That is so true. Having a few "dirty tricks" and being able to disguise them so you don't get caught is truly an asset to any good defensive player.

scott257
09-06-2013, 06:31 AM
He makes good points and it is a reflection of how the game has changed over the years. Selfless players like Stockton can make a good team great. There are too few examples of this today in a sport that seems more focused now on individual achievement than team success.

Zagcity
09-06-2013, 06:36 AM
Was never a Utah Jazz fan, but always appreciated the Stockton and Malone combination. :agreed:

Dogtownkid
09-06-2013, 07:14 AM
Great clip!

Gonzdb8
09-06-2013, 07:19 AM
I had to smile when Payton mentioned how people said Stockton was dirty, and Payton said, well he got the job done. That is so true. Having a few "dirty tricks" and being able to disguise them so you don't get caught is truly an asset to any good defensive player.

i assume that the ability to cheat and not get caught would be a "valuable asset" in any competitive activity. but its still cheating and probably doesn't need to be glorified. people who cheat suck. its that simple.

Reborn
09-06-2013, 08:12 AM
It's not called "cheating" accept by the nieve. But if you feel better by believing that the best basketball players don't have their tricks, and if they DO FOUL then the refs will call them all then believe that. However, the truth is that a good defensive player needs to be able to adjust to the 3 particular refs who are calling the game each night. Some refs will let a player get away with alot. Are these refs then cheaters too?

Vanzagger
09-06-2013, 09:15 AM
Sometimes refs would not call fouls and Shaq Fu had to take matters into his own hands. Shaq Fu has rings