• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • exclusivelee
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2013

Greyson Smallwood, 2015 6'9 C from Portland, OR

Greyson Smallwood, 2015 6'9 C from Portland, OR

Greyson will attend the same high school (Jefferson) as Silas Melson this year

He is currently rated a 3 star by both Scout (24th best center) and ESPN (33rd best center)

ESPN Analyst
    Updated 05/08/2013
    Strengths:
    Smallwood is extraordinarily long with an incredible reach. His forte is his ability to defend the paint (terrific shot blocker) with his length. He runs effortlessly in transition and is instinctive in the paint area getting put-backs.
    Weaknesses:
    Smallwood is extremely thin and will need to get considerably stronger in the next couple of years to be an impact recruit. In addition, his offensive game--both his fundamentals and skills-are still in its rudimentary stages.
    Bottom Line:
    Like most bigs, Smallwood is all about upside, and he is no exception. He'll eventually gain strength, but you can't teach his length and natural timing.
    Greyson Smallwood's highlight/interview video from the Rose City Showcase:

• 75Zag
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2007

Pass

I would pass on this one, but that's just me.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

• MDABE80
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Hes got some nice natural skills. Good to build on. Speaks well. I'd bet he'll get some following from us and others. Nerlens jr?? Love the defending the paint. Love his timing. Love his dunks...he looks quite athletic. Those Sophomore moves are quite good.. Hell get better. Looks like a nice project. I see why we might be interested in him. You cannot teach what he's got as only a sophomore.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2009

Saw him play in Bellevue in July. Skinny but long, athletic and looked pretty well coordinated if a bit raw. Looks young and could still be growing. Lots of upside imo, and worth watching to see how he develops over the next year. Has the potential to be very good. Mostly a question of developing strength.

Comment

• webspinnre
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

With him at the same school as Melson, coaches should get to see a good bit of him, which would form a nice basis for scouting.
          I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• cjm720
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2007

Upside is undeniable. Might want to offer early imo
            Go Zags!!!

Comment

• cggonzaga
              Zag for Life
              • Mar 2007

I would pass on this one, but that's just me.
              Can I ask why? You realize he was only a sophomore in that clip right? His defense and rebounding alone make him a must have imo. Start working that recruiting magic Melson.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

He is young and is only going to get better as he gets experience and additional size/weight.

If we have an extra scholly --his upside could very well be worth it.

Comment

• hooter73
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jun 2008

the kid's not even old enough to drive... he looks awesome to me!

Comment

• mnzag24
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Feb 2007

he is already more coordinated than will foster ever was. athletic and plays above the rim, worth keeping an eye on at the very least

Comment

• Reborn
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2007

This kid has tremendous upside because he's so athletic and a very hard worker. I don't see any loafing in him at all. I like his attitude a lot.
                      Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Kiddwell
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Tall, athletic, runs the floor--what's not to like? Having Melson in the fold is a big positive if the Zags coaches pull the trigger and tender an offer.

:]
                        Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• ZagNut08
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Plays way above the rim, top 25 center in his class, why not give him a look

Comment

• lv2hoop
                            Bulldog Fan
                            • Mar 2010

Clearly a major prospect

The video shows that he is legit with a huge upside. Length, timing, speed and athleticism are excellent. I was also impressed with his articulation and humility for a HS underclassmen. He is definitely going places.

Comment

• MDABE80
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

I spoke early in thise thread. I've go back to see the videos provided by our dear friend XLee. I also went back to look at Nerlins........at this stage, this kid is much more advNCED. i REALLY THINK THIS KID SHOULD BE TAKEN AND SOON. hE'LL NEED SOME TRAINING FOR SURE BUT HE'S GOT THOSE SKILLS. Sorry for the caps. If I was Staff, I'm pretty sure this young man can be turned into something very very good His package is .....especially at his age looks too good to pass up.
                              I'm guessing he'll finish growing at 6 10-6 11. His timing on rebounding and blocking those shots is impeccable. Go get this kid staff!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X