• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Luke Winn - Przemek Karnowski - Breakout Sophomore

Thanks to a SSF tweet, this piece in SI by Luke Winn:

The Breakout Sophomore Formula is back for a fifth try -- the goal being to identify future stars who didn't stand out in traditional box scores as freshmen, but had tempo-free stats indicative of success.

The formula tilts more toward obscurity than obviousness. To qualify, a player cannot have averaged much more than 20 minutes per game as a freshman. But while he was on the floor, he had to use a go-to-guy's share of his team's offensive possessions (around 24 percent or higher) with a respectable level of efficiency (an ORating of at least 100.0, or one point per possession). The underlying theory, as first proposed by Basketball Prospectus, is that go-to-guys tend to act like it from the start of their careers, even in limited playing time. "Players who are not very involved in the offense," Ken Pomeroy wrote for BP in 2007, "tend to stay that way."
    1. Przemek Karnowski, 7-1 center, Gonzaga

Freshman minutes per game: 10.7
    Freshman points per game: 5.7
    % of team possessions used: 27.0
    Offensive efficiency rating: 102.5

Schimmick, or Shem, or Big Kar, or the Polish Hammer, or Mount Poland -- whatever you want to call him -- is pretty much the formula's perfect breakout candidate: He barely played as a freshman, but when he did, he played with the profile of a centerpiece scorer. The presence of two NBA-bound bigs, Kelly Olynyk and Elias Harris, ahead of Karnowski on Gonzaga's depth chart limited him to spot minutes (as did his own conditioning issues). But he used possessions at a higher rate than Harris did, while shooting 56.7 percent from inside the arc, often as a result of getting great deep-post position.

With Olynyk and Harris gone, Karnowski is likely to start at center, and the Zags' offense should include heavy doses of post feeds to him from point guard Kevin Pangos. Karnowski had a confidence-boosting summer playing for Poland's national team in the European U20 championships (B Division), averaging 15.9 points and 11.9 boards in 27.0 minutes. The one thing that could prevent him from becoming a star is free-throw shooting: Karnowski's combined percentage from his freshman NCAA season and the Euro U20s was a ghastly 45.2 percent (47-of-104). If that doesn't change, opponents could employ hack-a-Shem strategies -- and he'd need to be pulled off the floor in crunch-time situations.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...#ixzz2cjQ35I7m
    • Mar 2008

Cool read.

Seems like a good way to measure who may have a breakout soph season, and like the article said PK is the exact perfect candidate for this. Even in limited minutes he makes such a difference on the floor with his size and hands for a big man. I think PK could have a season a lot like Kelly's last year and really burst on to the radar as far as an NBA lotto pick. His FT shooting last year was IMO an anomaly. Really skilled and just a beast in the middle, can't teach that size.

Comment

• MTZag03
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2012

I hope losing some weight like he has lets him play above the rim a bit more. No more missed bunnies this year. if he could turn his freethrow opportunities into more and-ones that would go a long way toward mitigating his poor freethrow percentage.

Comment

• titopoet
        Zag for Life
        • Apr 2008

Okay, I will be bold. If PK gets his FTs in the mid 60s to low 70s and stays injury free, he is an All American. He may even end up in the lotto.
        ----
        Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Comment

• DADoZAG
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by titopoet View Post
          Okay, I will be bold. If PK gets his FTs in the mid 60s to low 70s and stays injury free, he is an All American. He may even end up in the lotto.
          +1

Being bold looks good on you...

PK might want to add a little bounce, as Guy did, to his charity prep. IMO, he needs something to think about other than the ball going in.

Perhaps he could do his three dribbles and then scream "Go ZAGS!" just before shooting. That would wake up the croud. Any rule against that?

Go ZAGS!
          Go ZAGS!

Only watching the ball, misses at least 80% of the game.

Comment

• cjm720
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2007

He's got decent form and nice spin, but it's like he's mentally closing his eyes at the line. I have high expectations and predict:

12 PPG and 7 rebounds per game
            Go Zags!!!

Comment

• ZagNative
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DADoZAG View Post
              Perhaps he could do his three dribbles and then scream "Go ZAGS!" just before shooting. That would wake up the croud. Any rule against that?
              That would be so great!

Comment

• bigblahla
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
                ZN haven't thanked you for awhile for all you do here.

A sincere THANK YOU for you.

Go!! Zags!!!
                "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• bigblahla
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DADoZAG View Post
                  +1

Being bold looks good on you...

PK might want to add a little bounce, as Guy did, to his charity prep. IMO, he needs something to think about other than the ball going in.

Go ZAGS!
                  Please as little dribbling as possible from the big guy.

Go!! Zags!!!
                  "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• cjm720
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
                    Thx for posting. #2 was one of my favorite recruits last summer, Mike Carrera.
                    Go Zags!!!

Comment

• ZagNative
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cjm720 View Post
                      Thx for posting. #2 was one of my favorite recruits last summer, Mike Carrera.
                      Yeah, I liked him too.

Comment

• ZagNative
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bigblahla View Post
                        ZN haven't thanked you for awhile for all you do here.

A sincere THANK YOU for you.

Go!! Zags!!!
                        Wow! Thanks!

Comment

• cggonzaga
                          Zag for Life
                          • Mar 2007

12 PPG and 7 rebounds per game
                          If he gets 25-30mpg, he'll average double digit rebounds. I prediect 9-12ppg,9-10rbg, and 3apg (the big guy can pass)

Comment

• zagamatic
                            Zag for Life
                            • Aug 2009

Ok, I brought this up in a Will Foster thread a long time ago, but if someone could possibly bring up aiming at a spot on the backboard instead of the rim for guys who are over 7 foot tall to the coaches I think it could help. When I watch guys like PK, Foster, even Shaq, it always seems like they're trying to not over power the shot and "pulling the rope" if you will. Yeah, it's not a traditional free throw, but who the hell cares if it goes in? Using the backboard would allow a more natural flow to his motion and thus make it more consistent. The only problem might be possibly being a bit more distracted by the crowds behind the glass backboard. But why not try?

Comment

• Baseline
                              Zag for Life
                              • Jan 2011

I expect Karno to have a great year, its now his time!
                              Last year Kelly overshadowed him. Early on he looked very strong, but lost a bit of confidence because of bench time, however, later in the season he was moving better and adding a new dimension to his moves, Kelly had a big influence on him in my opinion and I think it will show shortly.
                              "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you can never know if they are genuine"---Abraham Lincoln.

Comment

Working...
                              X