PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Boston Round Table on Kelly

Martin Centre Mad Man
08-21-2013, 02:41 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4706501/summer-forecast-great-expectations

I liked this quote regarding expectations for Kelly Olynyk's career as a Celtic:

Mike Dyer, Celtics Life (All Rookie)

Expectations? To be better than Dirk Nowitzki, shoot 100 percent from the floor, and lead the Celtics to 14 championships in the next 15 years (he will take 2019-20 off to attend a summit on -- and then solve -- global warming). OK, I may be going overboard, but after his summer league breakthrough (18 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 58 FG%), Olynyk is primed to have a big role on this year's team. The lack of true No. 1 scoring option should help the former Zag put up solid scoring numbers for Boston, and the lack of impact players in this rookie class will help him make the All-Rookie team this season. His ceiling isn't incredibly high (sorry to the folks who think he'll be Nowitzki) but he is going to be an impact player for this team. Stat line prediction: 12 points, 6.5 boards and 2 assists in just over 30 minutes per game.

ZagNative
08-21-2013, 03:28 AM
Fun column.

See also previous post of the piece in old Dogs (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=930578#post930578) thread about Kelly's preseason.

Zagger
08-21-2013, 03:50 AM
Thanks for the link! I liked this take best ....

Bill Sy, CelticsBlog (All-Rookie): The 2013 NBA Draft was littered with lottery wing players and there will be a logjam at 1, 2, and 3 for the All-Rookie team. However, there are few bigs to contend with at power forward and center. Both Alex Len and Nerlens Noel are coming off major surgery and Steven Adams is a 20-year-old rookie on a championship team. Of the other players picked ahead of Olynyk, only Cody Zeller projects as a starter for their respective teams. Every member of last year's All-Rookie team averaged 25+ minutes per game and I expect that and more from Olynyk next season. Chad Ford ranked him 6th as a potential Rookie of the Year candidate for a reason. He was the best player in the Orlando Summer League, beating guys bigger and faster than him with an array of skills with his back to the basket and beyond the 3-point line. Like any rookie, he'll hit a rough patch then a wall, but Olynyk has a diverse enough skill set where if something's not working, he'll find another way to contribute.