PDA

View Full Version : Wall-Size Mosaic Uncovered in Demolition at COG

TerpZag
08-19-2013, 10:50 AM
Who remembers this?

Wall-Size Mosaic Uncovered in Demolition at COG Honors Gonzaga’s Past, Points to Future

http://news.gonzaga.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/cogmural-rajah-bose2.jpg

SPOKANE, Wash. – An historically significant wall-sized mosaic mural, designed in 1962 by Richard Ingalls, former director of Gonzaga University’s art program, has been recovered and saved during the recent demolition of the COG, razed last month to make way for construction of Gonzaga’s new University Center.

Gonzaga Special Collections Librarian Stephanie Plowman – who believes the mural represents much more than sentimental kitsch from a bygone era – alerted the University’s plant services department of the mosaic. Workers found the 28-by-10-foot creation obscured behind sheetrock in the kitchen of the Sub Connection, a COG basement eatery. Apparently, the montage was first covered in 1994 when a Taco Bell opened at the site, Plowman said.

The mosaic depicts the arrival of Jesuits as missionaries to Native Americans along with symbols of Gonzaga academic disciplines. According to archival records, creation of the mural consumed more than 500 hours, including 400 hours alone spent meticulously positioning the more than 30,000 colorful pieces of ceramic glass from Monterey, Mexico. Rev. Louis St. Marie, S.J., a co-founder of the Gonzaga art department, was instrumental in the project...

Gonzaga Article Link (http://news.gonzaga.edu/2013/wall-size-mosaic-uncovered-demolition)

LongIslandZagFan
08-19-2013, 10:58 AM
I think it may have been covered prior to 1994. I don't remember seeing it when I was there... But that could be just the age factor kicking in.

webspinnre
08-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Wow, very cool. Hopefully they can find somewhere to put it back up in the new Student Center.

Birddog
08-22-2013, 04:00 PM
I vaguely remember it. Stylistically, it looks a lot like Fr St Marie's work although that's not a good photo so kinda tough to tell.

kitzbuel
08-23-2013, 03:28 AM
I think it may have been covered prior to 1994. I don't remember seeing it when I was there... But that could be just the age factor kicking in.
It was there. I remember it. It was on the lower level.

LongIslandZagFan
08-23-2013, 06:33 AM
It was there. I remember it. It was on the lower level.

Getting old. Must have killed off those memories at the Bulldog.