PDA

View Full Version : Putting on a Klynyk

ZaGranny
08-16-2013, 09:41 PM
Great article in Kamloops Daily News about Kelly's basketball camp

http://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/sports/219654061.html#.UgxJ9nz9410.twitter

With stars in their eyes and sweat on their brows, young basketball players have been honing their craft all week at the Olynyk Klynyk.

Held on the hardcourt at South Kamloops secondary’s JP Gym, the basketball camp is giving River City ballers a chance to learn from their hero, Kelly Olynyk, who was picked 13th overall in this summer’s NBA Draft.

“I just wanted to be able to give back to the community,” said Olynyk, selected by the Dallas Mavericks at the June draft and traded immediately to the Boston Celtics.

“It’s good to give back to the kids that watched you growing up and watch you now and were inspired by you.

“I just want to grow the level of basketball in this city.”

Before Wednesday’s (Aug. 14) session got underway, the seven-foot behemoth shared a few words, telling campgoers to work hard and fight through tough times because things won’t always go their way.

Minutes later, he dribbled two balls beautifully through a set of cones — then clanged an ugly lay-up attempt off the rim, inciting laughter from the kids and ribbing from the other camp instructors, a few of them Olynyk’s former coaches.

He laughed it off, practising what he was preaching by staying positive.

more at link

Man, I love that kid! (OK, I know he's not a kid, but everybody's a kid to ZaGranny!)

ZaGranny

Akzag
08-17-2013, 01:37 AM
The article mentioned a visit to Fenway, I got curious and I found this
short fun video of Kelly's visit to Fenway a while back ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os8v9jQ_Y9E

Zag Man
08-17-2013, 09:07 AM
Nice video.....good way to start my morning! Thanks for sharing!

Unbiased
08-17-2013, 08:05 PM
Foot?

Mojo13
08-19-2013, 09:47 AM
The foot problems are not serious.
It was just a convenient excuse to bow out of Team Canada duties (somewhat) gracefully. Boston put pressure on him to not play and focus on his upcoming pro career.

I fully support the rookies skipping national team duties to focus on this new and important chapter in their career. I just don’t like the bullpoop excuse of the foot. Just come out and say the Celtics don't want you to play and that you agree with them.

It's too bad too. We need his offense badly. Not sure where the scoring comes from especially if Carl English can't go. Our solice is the vast majority of NBA players from ARG, BRA, DR arn't playing this time.

PS: The is the interwebs so my opinion is based on rumor, speculation, innuendo and twitter (which is nothing but all three). So before all the KO apologist's get their panties in a bunch and rage about the notion that someone could be critical of a favored son, I am a big KO fan and just wringing my hands that he turned down Team Canada. I am confident he'll be there down the road (screw you Rick Fox and Jamaal Magloire!!!).

3zagda
08-19-2013, 08:04 PM
Zagranny,
Thanks for posting!

ZagaZags
08-20-2013, 02:13 AM
Zagranny.

sanders
08-20-2013, 06:31 AM
The foot problems are not serious.
It was just a convenient excuse to bow out of Team Canada duties (somewhat) gracefully. Boston put pressure on him to not play and focus on his upcoming pro career.

I fully support the rookies skipping national team duties to focus on this new and important chapter in their career. I just don’t like the bullpoop excuse of the foot. Just come out and say the Celtics don't want you to play and that you agree with them.

It's too bad too. We need his offense badly. Not sure where the scoring comes from especially if Carl English can't go. Our solice is the vast majority of NBA players from ARG, BRA, DR arn't playing this time.

PS: The is the interwebs so my opinion is based on rumor, speculation, innuendo and twitter (which is nothing but all three). So before all the KO apologist's get their panties in a bunch and rage about the notion that someone could be critical of a favored son, I am a big KO fan and just wringing my hands that he turned down Team Canada. I am confident he'll be there down the road (screw you Rick Fox and Jamaal Magloire!!!).

I agree. Would add Wennington to the screw you list for past failure to participate.

Re ARG, BRA, and DR, I have read that Nene, Varejao and Splitter won't participate for Brazil, and Horford for DR. Any other notable absences?

Re Canada's chances, with Olynyk and maybe English out, and TT and Nicholson still getting used to FIBA play (and Thompson getting used to shooting with his previously off hand), the team is looking no better than the 11 squad. We still should make it, but it will be harder than I thought a few weeks ago.

Mojo13
08-20-2013, 09:18 AM
this is what I had dug out as of August 7 2013 (not going to do the work to update it - I was google translating Spanish articals to get to this.

Not playing in the FIBA Americas (so far):

Argentina
Manu Ginobili
Pablo Prigioni
Carlos Delfino
Andres Nocioni
Paolo Quinteros
Federico Kammerichs
Leo Gutierrez

Brazil
Tiago Splitter
Anderson Varejao
Nene Hilario
Leandro Barbosa
Lucas Nogueira
Vitor Faverani

Dominican Republic
Al Horford
Luis Flores
Charlie Villanueva

Venezuela
Greivis Vasquez (tbd - at the time he was questionable due to injury)
Oscar Torres
Gregory Echenique

PR
Nathan Peavy
Peter John Ramos

We (and PR) are looking good!

Mojo13
08-20-2013, 09:27 AM
Here is an overview of FIBA Americas and who is playing and not playing. Please pardon the Google Translation:

Panorama of the selections for the Premundial:

August 5, 2013

We are several weeks into the FIBA ​​Americas Championship in Caracas, and the selections are taking shape for the commitment that ranks the top four for the 2014 World Cup in Spain.

The participating teams are: Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Jamaica, Mexico, Paraguay, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Uruguay and Venezuela hosts.

Then I leave the presets and scrimmages itinerary.

Argentina:

Facundo Campazzo PG
Laprovittola Nicholas PG
Juan Manuel Fernandez PG
Safar Selem SG
Diego Garcia SG
Adrian Boccia SF
Marcos Mata SF
Pablo Espinoza SF
Federico Aguerre SF
Luis Scola PF
Leo Mainoldi PF
Matthias Bortolín PF / C
Juan Gutierrez C
Marcos Delia C

Leader: Julio Lamas

Casualties important: Carlos Delfino, Andres Nocioni, Manu Ginobili, Paul Prigioni, Fabricio Oberto, Federico Kammerichs, Leo Gutierrez, Hernan Jasen, Paolo Quinteros.

Julio Lamas made a call for only 14 players and has remained with them. In this group there are players who were in the Stankovic Cup.

The main figure is Luis Scola that despite having a loaded itinerary always says NBA playing this by Argentines. Campazzo is an owner who has good court vision and knows how to find their offense, one of the most consistent players Peñarol. We must also ensure Marcos Mata if recovered from injury.

Scrimmages:

Super 4 in Salta, Argentina (August 3-4)
55-67 Argentina Mexico
91-75 Argentina Uruguay
Super 4 in Anapolis, Brazil (August 10-11)
August 10: Argentina vs. Uruguay
August 11: Third game or championship
August 17: Argentina vs. Sanitation Uruguay in Buenos Aires
Tuto Marchand Cup: 22 to 26 August, San Juan, Puerto Rico

Brazil:

Raul Neto PG
Marcelo Huertas PG
Rafael Freire Light PG
PG Scott Machado
Larry Taylor PG / SG
Alex Garcia SG
Marquinhos SF
Arthur Luiz SG / SF
Guilherme Giovannoni SF
Vitor Benite SG / SF
Leonardo Simoes SF
Rafael Ferreira PF
Rafael Hettsheimeir C
Caio Torres C
JP Batista C

Leader: Ruben Magnano

Low remarkable: Leandro Barbosa, Nene Hilario, Paulo Prestes, Tiago Splitter, Victor Faverani, Lucas Nogueira, Marcelinho, Anderson Varejao, Fab Melo.

Brazil has an incredible talent bank and despite the low figure as one of the favorites in Caracas. Marcelo Huertas Driving, scoring power of Alex, Marquinhos and Guilherme and internal presence Hettsheimeir and Batista will be enough to end well.

Scrimmages:
Super 4 in Salta, Argentina (August 3-4)
92-71 Brazil Uruguay
Brazil 94-68 Mexico
August 7: Brazil vs. Uruguay in Sao Paulo
Brazil vs. Mexico on August 10
August 13: Brazil vs. Mexico in Sao Paulo
Tuto Marchand Cup: 22 to 26 August, San Juan, Puerto Rico

Canada:

Jermaine Anderson PG
PG Junior Cadougan
Brad Heslip PG
Cory Joseph PG / SG
PG Myck Kabongo
Philip Scrubb PG / SG
Daniel Walden PG
Andy Rautins SG
Carl Inglés SG
Devoe Joseph SG
Kris Joseph SF
Olu Ashaolu SF
Aaron Doornekamp SF / PF
Jevohn Shepherd SF
Kyle Landry PF
Tristan Thompson PF
Levon Kendall PF / C
Andrew Nicholson PF
Joel Anthony C

Leader: Jay Triano

Low Notable: Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett, Kelly Olynyk, Jesse Young, Robert Sacre, Matt Bonner, Samuel Dalembert, Kyle Wiltjer.

Canada is going to become a world power as soon as Wiggins promises, Olynyk and Bennett established in the NBA. They also have other players who could be good players FIBA ​​as Kevin Pangos and Wiltjer. This version has several veterans like Anderson, Inglés and Kendall. The front line is solid, with a good performance from Inglés and Rautins can ensure the passage to the World Cup.

Scrimmages:

Jack Donohue Classic: 8 and August 10 in Toronto, Canada vs. Jamaica
Tuto Marchand Cup 22 to August 26

Jamaica:

Akeem Scott PG
Weyinmi Rose PG / SG
Dylan Ennis PG / SG
Lynford Brown
Christopher Walker
Michael Rogers
Garfield Blair SG
Adrian Forbes
Durand Scott
Bryan Grant
Courtney Walters
Vashil Fernandez
Ricardo Alliman F
Patrick Ewing Jr. SF / PF
Adrian Uter PF / C
Ryan Hollins C
Jerome Jordan C
Samardo Samuels C

Leader: Not available, previously was Sam Vincent.

Low remarkable: Kimani Ffriend, Roy Hibbert.

In Jamaica paper has good talent, but there are too many questions about their preparation, who will be their leader, and who on this list will say this.

Scrimmages:

Jack Donohue Classic: 8 and August 10 in Toronto, Canada vs. Jamaica

Foursquare Maracaibo: August 24-26

Mexico:
Paul Stoll PG
Karim Malpica PG
Pedro Meza PG
Jovan Harris PG / SG
Orlando Mendez SG
Victor Mariscal SF
Jesus Gonzalez SF
Francisco Cruz SF
Noe Alonzo SF
Marco Ramos PF
Joaquín Villanueva C
Hector Hernandez PF / C
Fernando Benitez PF / C
Lorenzo Mata C
Gustavo Ayon C

Leader: Sergio Valdeomillos

Low notable: There is no official list and the Mexican has been well unpredictable, so the list can be long as soon have clarity on who will be the final phase of training.

Scrimmages:

Super 4 in Salta, Argentina

Mexico 67-55 Argentina
68-94 Mexico Brazil

Mexico vs. Brazil on August 10
August 13: Mexico vs. Brazil in Sao Paulo

Paraguay:

Javier Martinez PG
Carlos Vallejos PG
Gustavo Torres PG
Carlos Riveros SG
Mellone Federico SG / SF
Diego Bareiro SG
Bruno Zanotti SF
José Fabio SF / PF
Nelson Peralta SF
Alejandro Peralta SF
Fernando Dose SF
Adolfo Lopez PF
Edison Ortiz PF
Ramon Sanchez PF
Christian Rhodes C
Guillermo Araujo C

Leader: Ariel Rearte

Notable Casualties: None

Paraguay will be the weakest team of this Premundial and little information of this preset.

Puerto Rico:

PG Carlos Arroyo
JJ Barea PG
PG Andres Rodriguez
Andres Torres PG
Larry Ayuso SG
John Holland SG
Richard Chaney SG / SF
Alex Galindo SF
Edwin Ubiles SF
PF Ricky Sanchez
Renaldo Balkman SF / PF
Lopez PF Yao
Ramon Clemente PF
Luis Villafane C
Daniel Santiago C

Leader: Francisco "Paco" Olmos

Low notable: David Huertas, Guillermo Diaz, AD Vassallo, Peter John Ramos, Denis Clemente, Kleon Penn, Shabazz Napier.

The players mentioned above will be taken to the Quartering in Florida and are the closest you are to Premundial. Other players like Luis Hernandez, Carlos Emory, Chris Gaston, Gaby Belardo, David Imes, among others will be part of the team that will foguear B in London.

Scrimmages:
7 to 15 August: Team A barracks in Sarasota, Florida
August 8-13: Team B foguea with England
August 16: Puerto Rico vs. Dominican Republic
August 20: Puerto Rico vs. Dominican Republic in Humacao
Tuto Marchand Cup from 22 to 26 August

Dominican Republic:

Ronald Ramon PG
PG Edgar Sosa
Adris DeLeon PG
Juan Coronado G / SG
Manuel Fortuna SG
SG Gerardo Suero
Francisco Garcia SG
Manny Quezada PG / SG
Ricardo Greer SG / SF
Karl Towns SF
James Feldeine SG
Eloy Vargas PF
Edward Santana PF / C
Eulis Baez PF / C
Jack Michael Martinez C

Leader: Orlando Antigua

Low notable: Al Horford, Luis Flores, Manuel Guzman, Charlie Villanueva, Josh Asselin, Sammy Mejia, Trevor Ariza.

The Dominican Republic looks like one of the favorites in this tournament and could be a historical one because it does not play in a World Cup since 1978. The loss of Horford is sensitive in the paint but added Edward Santana was the MVP in Venezuela and have Eulis Baez is a great striker in the Spanish league.

Scrimmages:

August 16: Dominican Republic vs. Puerto Rico
August 20: Dominican Republic vs. Puerto Rico in Humacao
Tuto Marchand Cup from 22 to 26 August

Uruguay:

Bruno Fitipaldo PG
PG Martin Osimani
Mark Cabot PG
Fernando Martinez PG
Luciano Parodi PG
Leandro Garcia Morales SG
Nicolas Mazzarino SG
Mauricio Aguiar SF
SF Martin Aguilera
Federico Alvarez SF
Emilio Taboada SF
Sebastian Vazquez SF
Nicolas Borsellino PF
Sebastian Izaguirre PF
Esteban Batista PF / C
Kiril Waschmann PF / C
Reque Newsome PF
Hernando Caceres C
Mathias Calfani C

Leader: Pablo Lopez

Low remarkable: Jayson Granger, Gustavo Barrera.

Uruguay will help in the paint with the arrival of Waschmann while Batista expects to have a good tournament to make you look bad to those who doubt his ability. Nicolas Mazzarino's return is good news because it is still a great long distance shooter.

Scrimmages:
Super 4 in Salta, Argentina
71-92 Brazil Uruguay
75-91 Uruguay Argentina
August 7: Uruguay vs. Brazil
Uruguay vs. Argentina
August 17: Uruguay vs. Argentina

Venezuela:

David Cubillán PG
Gregory Vargas PG
Elvis Baez PG
Jesus Centeno PG
PG Guillent heissler
Zamora Jhornan SG
Douglas Chiquito SG
Rafael Perez SG / SF
Jose Vargas SF
Anthony Perez SF
Michael Carrera SF
Francisco Centeno SF
Lenin Lopez SF
Kevin Caraballo SF
Michael Flores SF / PF
Hector Romero PF
Sucre Axier PF
Juan Coronado PF
Luis Bethelmy PF
Jesus Urbina PF / C
Windi Graterol C
Miguel Marriaga C

Leader: Nestor Garcia

Low remarkable: Greivis Vasquez, Gregory Echenique, John Cox, Oscar Torres, Carlos Cedeño, Dwight Lewis.

Venezuelans are the hosts of this tournament and the fans expected the World Cup qualifying. They need a little more strength in the paint and another question is offensive consistency of their perimeter players.

August 12 to 14: Venezuela vs. Ivory Coast and the University of Portland

sanders
08-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the info, Mojo.

English has left the team for personal reasons, so the roster is 14 heading into the Tuto Marchand games. Presumably the final two cuts will be made after those three games.

http://www.basketball.ca/tuto-marchand-roster-announced-p154956

Mojo13
08-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Gah!
We really needed Carl English. Most important piece to the team in my books. The only pure scorer we have. Scoring is gonna be tough to come by.

I'm nervous now. Maybe we can win by running hard and playing D? I really want us to get to the WC's but I wonder if we are still a year or two too early?

KO! We need your ultra efficient scoring! C'mon! We all know the foot isnt that bad.

Duty, Honor, Country -those three hallowed words....