PDA

View Full Version : Maui this year, Portland 2017; which tournaments for Zags in 2014, 15, & 16?

TravelinZag
08-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Certain this was discussed on this board, but have tried several searches using different terms without success. Can anybody help, especially for 2014? Thanks.

exclusivelee
08-12-2013, 09:42 AM
Certain this was discussed on this board, but have tried several searches using different terms without success. Can anybody help, especially for 2014? Thanks.

2014: NIT Preseason tipoff at Madison Square Garden in New York

2015: Battle 4 Atlantis in Bahamas

2016: To be determined

2017: Nike/Phil Knight event in Portland with Duke, Kentucky, Michigan St, North Carolina, Florida, Ohio St, UCONN, Georgetown, Xavier, Stanford, Oregon, Texas, Oklahoma, Butler, & Portland

zagzilla
08-12-2013, 11:10 AM
The PDX event looks stacked with blue bloods. Should be a great stage for GU to shine.

I have no idea who will even be on the team at that point but hopefully it will be during an upswing in talent.

Go Zags,

ZZ

HenneZag
08-12-2013, 12:03 PM

2017: Nike/Phil Knight event in Portland with Duke, Kentucky, Michigan St, North Carolina, Florida, Ohio St, UCONN, Georgetown, Xavier, Stanford, Oregon, Texas, Oklahoma, Butler, & Portland

Beautiful Lineup: Has to look nice to recruits as well, very appealing.

ZagsZombieNation
08-12-2013, 12:23 PM
The PDX event looks stacked with blue bloods. Should be a great stage for GU to shine.

I have no idea who will even be on the team at that point but hopefully it will be during an upswing in talent.

Go Zags,

ZZ

All we know is that Silas Melson would be on the team in 2017-18.

TheGonzagaFactor
08-12-2013, 04:11 PM

Not bad. I've really wanted to see us in the Atlantis one. Any sources on these?

KStyles
08-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Not bad. I've really wanted to see us in the Atlantis one. Any sources on these?

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/nov/29/zags-edi-can-only-sit-n-wait/

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8274359/nike-schools-commit-16-team-mega-event-honor-phil-knight

Reborn
08-12-2013, 05:25 PM

Go Zags,

ZZ

The class of '14 will be Seniors. This should be a good selling point for the '14 class. That looks like a pretty elite list of basketball programs. lol lol

75Zag
08-12-2013, 08:09 PM
I had a dream last night that contracts are being circulated and signed for the 2017 event in Portland, but there is a potential stumbling block. The proposed Portland event is actually 2 tournaments in 1. According to an article in the Oregonian last year, due to the NCAA rule that teams within the same conference cannot play each other pre-season, Nike (oops, I meant to say the tournament organizer) proposes to run parallel events (one at the Rose Garden and one at the Coliseum) where no current conference members can meet each other. I do not know whether the winners of the parallel events will meet each other in a grand championship final game or not - perhaps it will depend on whether the winners are from the same conference or not. It seems that the tricky part is that there is likely to be further conference consolidation between now and 2017, and if any of the invited teams switch to the conference of another invited team, things get messed up very quickly. Hopefully that won't happen, and hopefully Portland will host what may be the biggest Men's BB event ever - except for the NCAA Tournament.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2012/08/oregon_commits_to_playing_in_a.html

God Bless Uncle Phil, and Go Bulldogs!

KStyles
08-12-2013, 08:31 PM
I know that for a tourney to qualify as an exempt multi-team event, one stipulation is that there can only be one team per conference, but I'm not sure if that has been relaxed to allow for contracts that were signed before teams moved conferences.

If you take Marquette this year, for example, they're playing in the Wooden Legacy (http://espn.go.com/pdf/2013/0716/ncb_woodenlegacy_bracket.pdf) with Creighton, a fellow Big East member. Marquette's schedule (http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/marq-m-baskbl-sched.html) indicates 9 non-conference games and the 4 Wooden games (ASU as a non-bracketed game), in addition to their 18 game Big East schedule (not posted yet), for a total of 27 plus the MTE, which would mean the Wooden Legacy is still counted as an exempt tourney. It might just be a matter of getting contracts signed for 2017 before any more moving around happens.

I do not know whether the winners of the parallel events will meet each other in a grand championship final game or not - perhaps it will depend on whether the winners are from the same conference or not.

A grand championship like that would have to take place on the schedule as a regular game outside of either tourney, because simply having 2 teams from a conference in the same tourney is enough to bump it from exempt status, whether they actually meet or not.

Gonzaga, for example, would have to leave an open date in place of one of their 9 non-conference games, and the opponent would be determined later similar to St. Mary's leaving an open date for Bracket Busters the past few years. For it to work, all 16 schools would have to go along with having an open date to meet a team from the other bracket, and that may not be something they want to do (I'd guess probably not, with other scheduling obligations, etc. but who knows).

Below is the section of the NCAA D-I Manual dealing with MTEs.
----

http://i.imgur.com/5tJBp9sl.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/5tJBp9s.jpg)

ZagsZombieNation
08-12-2013, 08:55 PM
I know that for a tourney to qualify as an exempt multi-team event, one stipulation is that there can only be one team per conference, but I'm not sure if that has been relaxed to allow for contracts that were signed before teams moved conferences.

If you take Marquette this year, for example, they're playing in the Wooden Legacy (http://espn.go.com/pdf/2013/0716/ncb_woodenlegacy_bracket.pdf) with Creighton, a fellow Big East member. Marquette's schedule (http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/marq-m-baskbl-sched.html) indicates 9 non-conference games and the 4 Wooden games (ASU as a non-bracketed game), in addition to their 18 game Big East schedule (not posted yet), for a total of 27 plus the MTE, which would mean the Wooden Legacy is still counted as an exempt tourney. It might just be a matter of getting contracts signed for 2017 before any more moving around happens.

I'm pretty sure teams from the same conference can still play each other in non-conference play if an agreement was signed before the two teams joined the same conference. For example, Butler had agreed to play Xavier in the 24-Hour tip off marathon last year before they had decided to join the A10 (where Xavier was already a member). Therefore the two teams then in the same conference still played the game in November, but it did not count towards conference standings.

I know the example I gave wasn't about an exempt tournament but I think it still applies to this issue brought up.

KStyles
08-12-2013, 09:00 PM
I'm pretty sure teams from the same conference can still play each other in non-conference play if an agreement was signed before the two teams joined the same conference. For example, Butler had agreed to play Xavier in the 24-Hour tip off marathon last year before they had decided to join the A10 (where Xavier was already a member). Therefore the two teams then in the same conference still played the game in November, but it did not count towards conference standings.

I know the example I gave wasn't about an exempt tournament but I think it still applies to this issue brought up.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there's no rule against teams playing each other in non-conference play, no matter when they signed the agreement. I was more talking about playing each other within the scope of a MTE and having that event retain its status for scheduling purposes. In your example, that would simply count as one game towards their limit, same as any other non-MTE game. One of the big draws of the MTEs is fitting 3-4 games into the schedule where otherwise only 2 would be allowed, hence why organizers try to make sure their event fits within the rules and can offer that to participating schools.

75Zag
08-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Thanks for your analysis. I agree that it sounds like there will be "co-champions" of the 2017 Portland event. Still sounds like a lot of fun, and I look forward to having my lucky golden tickets firmly in hand for both venues.

Go Bulldogs!

DarkZagRises
12-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Anybody know more on the fields for the next two in NYC and Nassau? Quick search is only yielding Georgia for NIT and Syracuse for Atlantis.

gozagswoohoo
12-05-2013, 12:23 PM
I am going to TRY to make next season at MSG. I saw the game against Duke there some years back. One of my fav zags games I attended.

LIZF....see you there?!?!?

strikenowhere
12-05-2013, 12:47 PM
I am going to TRY to make next season at MSG. I saw the game against Duke there some years back. One of my fav zags games I attended.

LIZF....see you there?!?!?

Wasn't that a lopsided blowout at the hands of Duke? I had *ALMOST* bought tickets to that game but something came up at the last minute - it would have been a miserable experience had I gone!

exclusivelee
12-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Anybody know more on the fields for the next two in NYC and Nassau? Quick search is only yielding Georgia for NIT and Syracuse for Atlantis.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?34668-Shama-Gophers-may-be-in-pre-season-NIT-in-2014

Minnesota for 2014 NIT Tip-Off ... maybe

gozagswoohoo
12-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Wasn't that a lopsided blowout at the hands of Duke? I had *ALMOST* bought tickets to that game but something came up at the last minute - it would have been a miserable experience had I gone!

Actually, I think you're thinking of the Zags/Duke game from 3-4 years ago. That one was MISERABLE. I believe they held us to the fewest points scored in like a decade or something? Can't remember the stat. The one I was at was back when Pargo, Heytvelt, Mallon were here. I think it was 2006. We lost the game by less than 10 points, but if I recall correctly, the game didn't FEEL that close....we were hovering around 10-12 points down for most of the game...

Still....MSG....great experience.

exclusivelee
12-05-2013, 01:32 PM
2014 NIT tip-off field maybe just be awful:

St. John's, Minnesota, Georgia, & Gonzaga as the 4 regional hosts

http://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2013/12/2/5166354/2014-15-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-MTE

Regional Hosts (4) (Andy Katz, ESPN.com)
Georgia Bulldogs (SEC)
Gonzaga Bulldogs (WCC)
Minnesota Golden Gophers (Big Ten)
St. John's Red Storm (Big East)

Visitors (12)
TBA

CDC84
12-05-2013, 02:23 PM
The bad thing about that NIT field is that you might have to play St. John's on their home court. That would be okay if they were a top 25 team.......

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Actually, I think you're thinking of the Zags/Duke game from 3-4 years ago. That one was MISERABLE. I believe they held us to the fewest points scored in like a decade or something? Can't remember the stat. The one I was at was back when Pargo, Heytvelt, Mallon were here. I think it was 2006. We lost the game by less than 10 points, but if I recall correctly, the game didn't FEEL that close....we were hovering around 10-12 points down for most of the game...

Still....MSG....great experience.

I was at the game in '09. It was miserable. I'm heading back for what should (knock wood) be a better experience in 2014.

Martin Centre Mad Man
07-19-2014, 08:41 AM
Bump. Does anybody know anything new about 2016 preseason tourneys? 2018? Future trips to the Old Spice Classic in Orlando?

Martin Centre Mad Man
08-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Can we move this thread to the tickets and travel forum?